Tucker available?

ch_nl

The Fourth Period are reporting that Torontos Darcy Tucker is on the block.

I know that a trade with the Leafs are verry unlikley but wouldn't he be a nice fit for our team?

He's 28 years old and making 1.6 million dollars.

I would like to have Tucker back. Maybe if the price is right.

What about Kilger and Dykhuis?

Originally posted by Bonavistaman11

Tucker doesnt add much size.  

We'd be giving up a bigger player in kilger, although Tucker plays a much more physical game then kilger.

:ghg:

I'd trade Kilger for just about anybody, he always inevitably disappoints... a few good games, then disappears.

Sure I'd take Tucker off their hands in a second if Kilger was the price tag. Use him in Juneau's spot.

From time to time put him out with Begin and Langdon, and let the sparks fly.

He might be over the top, a clown, and all that but does play like he cares... and on this team that's worth his weight in gold. Plus he also has some skill, more than Bégin.

Actually if we were going to go for somebody, I know Peca is available... now that would be one hell of an upgrade over Juneau as defensive center.

He's not big, but he plays huge... and has a ton of character.

P.S. Here's a thought though... let's not trade for both guys. Because if we think we have locker room problems now you ain't seen nothing. ;)

I'm sure Gainey (an ex-captain) will be very careful. If we get Peca or Tucker, that would change automatically all the team spirit and chemistry. The thing that the management has to predict, it's if it would be a change for the better or the worst. Tucker and Peca have soo much leadership influence, Koivu and co. will becomes little guys. Like I said, dunno if Tucker would be a positive influence. Dunno if we want for leader a stupid Leafs who play like a chicken with no head. I'd take Peca before, but Juneau has to be out.. Peca makes few millions already.

I rather not have him back, we need highly skilled scorers and those are unlikely to be available for cheap.

At this point I consider Tucker more like a Domi type than anything else and that kind of leadership I rather do without, for everytime he stands up for teammates he gets 2 silly penalties. In other words not worth it IMHO.

Tucker isn't necessarily such a bad idea. Worrying about him taking stupid penalties and becoming Sideshow Bob is needless worrying, as far as I can see. While he acts in such a way in Toronto, remember that he's playing under Pat Quinn who is captain of all those who whine. Gainey wouldn't allow any of that crap for a moment.

On ther other hand, I just can't see the Habs picking up Tucker at this point. The idea isn't specifically to help this years' edition of the team make the playoffs, but more to gather the necessary components for the kids to grow with starting after the CBA and after many of the present contracts come due. What role could Tucker fill in the near future?

He could play on the wing on the second line, something he's been somewhat successful with in Toronto. The question here is how close some of the kids are to making the jump. Of course you can't fill your lineup with kids, but the issue remains that if you put in Tucker - someone you expect to be there for at least a couple of years, is he going to take that spot from a rookie that needs the time in the NHL.

The third line is probably more suitable, and since a team should like to have experience on their checking line, it might be more interesting to have him there. I'm not sure I'd like him centreing the line, but I think he'd be fine on the wing. I'm sure having Bulis in between Tucker and Hossa might interest more than a few fans. It gives Hossa a nice place to develop and makes that line a more intense line than we currently have now.

I'd say Tucker is the prototypical 4th liner, but unfortunately his salary is disproportionate to that reality. I just couldn't see Gainey spending that much on someone who's going to play approximately 10 minutes a game - particularly on a developping team.

As for Montreal and Toronto not being trading partners, well it's a legitimate concern. But in today's climate in the NHL, I have a feeling that if a team really *really* wants to get rid of a player and covets someone else, this is the year to make those changes since, with the impending CBA, everything might be thrown into the wind.

ACF.