Gainey!

habsfan88

Tanguay for Leopold and a second round pick??

That is a cheap price...I can't stand to read the news headings talking about that trade, its too painful to read. Tanguay is one of my favorite players, I've always dreamed of him coming to Montreal...and we could've had him for a cheap price (for what he really should be traded for).

I sure hope Gainey makes a decent move in the duration of this draft, and if not, I hope he can make some good signings in free agency.

A forward for a puck-moving defenseman. Something in short supply in Montreal already.

It's lovely to see how we, in the comfort of our chairs/sofas/whatever... know better than the guys in the heat of the battle and with some 30 years experience at what's going on in the 'business'.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

It's lovely to see how we, in the comfort of our chairs/sofas/whatever... know better than the guys in the heat of the battle and with some 30 years experience at what's going on in the 'business'.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

A voice of reason. I bet Montreal talked to colorado about him but found losing a defenceman was too much.

We will see how good he is playing alongside Iggy. Problem in Calgary is they have no center to set these guys up. In Colorado Tanguay had Joe Sakic helping him light up goaltenders.

Plus the trade was for TWO second round draft picks not one. Avalanche need to refill their farm team as they have really raided it.

We don't need a 5M$ winger, we need a 5M$ center to replace Ribs. I love Tanguay to, but he's not what we need.

Besides, Colorado wanted a good puck moving defenceman which we don't have except Matkov, and he's much more important and valuable to us then a guy like Tanguay.

Yup, you have it perfectly summed it up. Montreal did have better youth, but to give it up now for a winger would have been dumb. Plus Montreal would have had to trade someone like Markov and no way, off limits!

Kind of hard for me to see Montreal / Colorado trading as they are both my teams. Both have different ways of building too which is quite interesting.

I hope when Montreals young guns get better and along in their contracts, they will see value in staying with the team. Sort of like the home team discounts Sakic gave Colorado and Blake will give too. They both love the team, city and fans which I hope happens for Montreals players too.

If Colorado needs to refill their farm team I would've given them a defenceman not as good as leopold, but better youth/pick(s).

Leopold is a good 2nd pairing defenceman, not a farmer.

Leopold is a good 2nd pairing defenceman, not a farmer.

I know he is, I didn't quite make my post clear enough...sorry.

I meant to say, If we offered a defenceman who was not quite as good as Leopold, but made up for it with a better farm player/ pick(s), I feel we could've done that trade.

I can see why Calgary was eager to secured themselves a top noched winger throught trade instead of

waiting to snatch one from the UFA market.

First nothing can garantee that any of the UFA wingers avallaible will signed-up for your team and also

Tangey by himself might have looked as a better fitt to play with Inglia? than the UFA avallaible,....as not only can he score but he is a terrific passing body to play with.

The price to pay for Calgary to get him is not only what they had to give in return but the incertainty that

Tangey will keep playing with them once he reached his UFA status the following season.

Now that Calgary has Iginla and Tanguay on the wings, it should prove to be a much more interesting team to join for any playmaking center about to become a UFA.

I'm thinking if Gainey can't get Arnott this year, or trade for a top center, he may just resign the current RFA and wait till next year, when there might be a bumper crop of UFA's and another possible increase in the salary cap. Guys like Havlat, Tanguay and Luongo could all be available

Now that Calgary has Iginla and Tanguay on the wings, it should prove to be a much more interesting team to join for any playmaking center about to become a UFA.

Maybe they want Ribeiro. :P I'd love to see Sutter talk some sense into him.

Well if you want tangauy mtl could have done the trade...maybe a prospect we have (not emelin) but we could have gave back zednik in return that is skillful and ALOT cheaper then Alex is, Im happy we don't have him because then again less ice time for the young'ns

Damn Gainey Luongo Tanguay and who the hell was that draft choice, Gainey sits on his hands again, if he had gotten a second free agent last year to complement Kovalev we may be talking about a Cup win

What are you talking about?

Luongo will cost the world to sign, which we can't afford. More importantly, Keenan wanted a top offensive player which we don't have and Keenan has always loved Bertuzzi.

Same for Tanguay, we need a center, not a winger and Colorado wanted a good puck moving defenseman, which we don't have except Markov, who's more valuable to us then Tanguay.

Why do people always assume that we can get anybody this easily? I don't get it, it's complicated to make a trade. First, the other teams as specific needs, and if you don't have what they are looking for, then forget it, no deal. Second, you might have something ressembling what they need, but maybe the other team doesn't like that specific player, or another team is offering an even better player that we don't have in our ranks.

I'm tired of seeeing Gainey this and Gainey that. As far as I know, there was a lot of other teams interested in these players too, but they didn'rt get them either. Wake up man !!!

As for our pick, the guy is listed in the top 30 picks of almost all experts and mock drafts, there are not that many who can say the same after the first 12 picks of this year. The kid looks amazing, could end up being a steal at #20. It's not because you haven't eard from him that the kid is a bum. As far as I know, you're not a scout and you probably don't know anything about any of these players. We all don't. It's not because you eard of them and read some articles that you're now a scout.

The Habs traded #16 pick for #20 and 53, that's amazing ! moving back only 4 spots for a 2nd round pick. Timmins explained that the only reason the Sharks paid so much (they were offering their 3rd pick at first) is because another team called and offered their second, since SJ's 2nd was better, the Habs made the deal with SJ.

Stop complaining, I'm tired of Habs fans always complaining about this and about that, I'm pretty sure that BG knows is job much better and is 1,000 times more qualified then you will ever be.

Have respect for the guy who's slowly, but surely building us a contender.

Edited by Komisarek the Cruncher

I'd have been dissapointed if Tanguay had been a decent centre, but the last think Montreal needs is another winger.

Gainey will probably make a strong effort towards Jason Arnott, and failing that may try to pick up one the half dozen decent defensman that are out there. A Kubina, Mitchell, Kuba, Markov, Jovanovski...etc.

Other than that, I think we are expecting too much, and not much will change. We can expect pretty much the exact same roster as last year with MAYBE 1 free agent addition, Kostitsyn as a regular, and the deletions of Bulis and Sundstrom from the roster. I expect Aebischer and Ribeiro to be qualified and returned to the lineup. Theres no real market for these guys.

Other than that, I think we are expecting too much, and not much will change. We can expect pretty much the exact same roster as last year with MAYBE 1 free agent addition, Kostitsyn as a regular, and the deletions of Bulis and Sundstrom from the roster. I expect Aebischer and Ribeiro to be qualified and returned to the lineup. Theres no real market for these guys.

I don't really have a problem with this scenario at all. If you think of the amount of extra games we could have won last year had Huet been in net all year, we could probably have finished 2 or 3 spots higher in the conference, maybe even more.

What are you talking about?

Luongo will cost the world to sign, which we can't afford. More importantly, Keenan wanted a top offensive player which we don't have and Keenan has always loved Bertuzzi.

Same for Tanguay, we need a center, not a winger and Colorado wanted a good puck moving defenseman, which we don't have except Markov, who's more valuable to us then Tanguay.

Why do people always assume that we can get anybody this easily? I don't get it, it's complicated to make a trade. First, the other teams as specific needs, and if you don't have what they are looking for, then forget it, no deal. Second, you might have something ressembling what they need, but maybe the other team doesn't like that specific player, or another team is offering an even better player that we don't have in our ranks.

I'm tired of seeeing Gainey this and Gainey that. As far as I know, there was a lot of other teams interested in these players too, but they didn'rt get them either. Wake up man !!!

As for our pick, the guy is listed in the top 30 picks of almost all experts and mock drafts, there are not that many who can say the same after the first 12 picks of this year. The kid looks amazing, could end up being a steal at #20. It's not because you haven't eard from him that the kid is a bum. As far as I know, you're not a scout and you probably don't know anything about any of these players. We all don't. It's not because you eard of them and read some articles that you're now a scout.

The Habs traded #16 pick for #20 and 53, that's amazing ! moving back only 4 spots for a 2nd round pick. Timmins explained that the only reason the Sharks paid so much (they were offering their 3rd pick at first) is because another team called and offered their second, since SJ's 2nd was better, the Habs made the deal with SJ.

Stop complaining, I'm tired of Habs fans always complaining about this and about that, I'm pretty sure that BG knows is job much better and is 1,000 times more qualified then you will ever be.

Have respect for the guy who's slowly, but surely building us a contender.

Luongo is worth the world. I would have given Keenan Zednik Bulis and Komisarek for Luongo. As for Tanguay, we always need talented offensive players, the kind that could score like that last game against Carolina. Can anyone see the importance of a Cory Stillman, Cup winner with Tampa and Carolina???

Im glad your impressed about a player that has played in high school in the USA. Im not

Edited by Strummerman

I don't really have a problem with this scenario at all. If you think of the amount of extra games we could have won last year had Huet been in net all year, we could probably have finished 2 or 3 spots higher in the conference, maybe even more.

To me, that doesn't matter at all. Sure, more points in the regular season and a better seed may sound nice... but that same lineup couldn't find a way to beat Carolina. Fine changes need to be made, and I feel Ribs is one of the things that need changing... and Aebi, IMO, is unnecessary and could bring something of value to Montreal.

Luongo is worth the world. I would have given Keenan Zednik Bulis and Komisarek for Luongo.

Hard to trade Bulis when he is a free agent. Plus Keenan would have had a very good laugh at that trade as I am now.

Why does everyone think Zednik is worth ANYTHING? He is an average underachieving forward with no upside defensively. He is a good player in respects to his ability to score maybe 20 goals a year. Filler for a third line on a team that needs a warm body with offensive abilities.

Hard to trade Bulis when he is a free agent. Plus Keenan would have had a very good laugh at that trade as I am now.

Why does everyone think Zednik is worth ANYTHING? He is an average underachieving forward with no upside defensively. He is a good player in respects to his ability to score maybe 20 goals a year. Filler for a third line on a team that needs a warm body with offensive abilities.

Your right that trade sucked. How bout Aebischer, Zednik and Souray for Luongo?? We could do that trade with Vancouver.

I'd have been dissapointed if Tanguay had been a decent centre, but the last think Montreal needs is another winger.

Gainey will probably make a strong effort towards Jason Arnott, and failing that may try to pick up one the half dozen decent defensman that are out there. A Kubina, Mitchell, Kuba, Markov, Jovanovski...etc.

Aebischer does have market value. Raycroft brought in Rask and Roloson brought in a mid-1st + conditional 3rd. Goalies have high market value and at the time of both trades, Aebishcer is better than both those 2 guys. He can be traded for a 1st (and maybe more) or packaged with someone for a roster player. The others, I agree, we can't get much for.