Timmins Point Of View On Our Picks

Just read the article....makes everyone sound like a steal, I love it! Can't wait for the rookie camp to start!

Well everyone the Habs picked was rated higher than the rank they went, except myabe Fischer who seemed to have been higher on the Habs' list than other teams, which is why they managed to trade down and still pick him.

Though like I said in another thread, its the "Projects Year" for the Habs.

Here's Timmins more detailed view from hockey's future:

http://hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=8...hreaded&order=0

Look at Sportsnet list of top skills for this year's prospects.

Fischer is in the list for most dedication, hardest worker, best team leader, quicket feets and quickest hands.

This kid could turn out to be a major steal...a top D in the league.

White and Cepek are there for best agitators. White is going to be a great 3rd line grit player.

Maxwell is also there for quickest feets.

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/hockey/06NHL_draf...can_skaters.php

Edited by Komisarek the Cruncher

I also read comments from Trevor Timmins on the RDS website that first round pick David Fischer is closer to 6'4" and 185 pounds. Based on the photo of him standing next to a 6'3" Bob Gainey, I believe he's an inch taller. His weight is tough to gauge at this point, but he appears to be willing to start weight training.

This kid could turn out to be a major steal...a top D in the league.

Keep in mind that year in and year out, draft prospects of any team are always hyped. Its just the nature of the draft. Everyone expects these kids to be good, everyone compares them to X or Y and the projections are usually over-optimistic.

Reality factor is that most never live up to the hype, even if they settle in a nice NHL career.

I think this actually deserves a whole new thread.

Keep in mind that year in and year out, draft prospects of any team are always hyped. Its just the nature of the draft. Everyone expects these kids to be good, everyone compares them to X or Y and the projections are usually over-optimistic.

Reality factor is that most never live up to the hype, even if they settle in a nice NHL career.

I think this actually deserves a whole new thread.

I said "could", don't have to give me the reality factors, I know exactly what they are.

Reality is that no other prospects has as much top skills (per Sportsnet article I posted before) as he does for the position where we took him. Also, our #1 picks under Timmins are turning out to be no busts so far, but it's still a little too early to tell.

Reality is that he will be a 6'4" 220lbs (minimum) with speed and agility, those don't come around too often, and he as great hockey sense to top it all of. And most importantly, everybody seems to say that the kid as a great determination and work ethic, all things that should help him become what he can be. Playing with Eric Jonhson next year won't hurt either.

I also read comments from Trevor Timmins on the RDS website that first round pick David Fischer is closer to 6'4" and 185 pounds. Based on the photo of him standing next to a 6'3" Bob Gainey, I believe he's an inch taller. His weight is tough to gauge at this point, but he appears to be willing to start weight training.

I read that when asked what was is weaknesses, he said he's weigth. He said that playing at University of inessota who as a light playing schedule will allow him to it the weight room often. Already planning to work on what he needs to improve :D

Edited by Komisarek the Cruncher

I would hope that the Habs personnel folks would be high on the kids they drafted this past weekend. Hehe. I could see it now...

"Well, we had no clue with who to take at #53, so we taped some names on the wall and had Bob throw some darts up there. It took a few tries, because we blindfolded him and he got Savard in the ass a couple of times..."

I said "could", don't have to give me the reality factors, I know exactly what they are.

Reality is that no other prospects has as much top skills (per Sportsnet article I posted before) as he does for the position where we took him. Also, our #1 picks under Timmins are turning out to be no busts so far, but it's still a little too early to tell.

Reality is that he will be a 6'4" 220lbs (minimum) with speed and agility, those don't come around too often, and he as great hockey sense to top it all of. And most importantly, everybody seems to say that the kid as a great determination and work ethic, all things that should help him become what he can be. Playing with Eric Jonhson next year won't hurt either

Reality is that the same qualities were mentionned back in the days when we drafted Hainsey or Wilkie. Reality is that only a minority of prospects ever reach those high expectations everyone -- medias, scouts, fans -- places on them.

There's loads of D-men who were better and much more hyped than Fischer that got picked in the last 10 years. Phillips, Zyuzin, Jackman, Brewer, Mara, Stuart, Klesla, Komisarek, Hamuis, Bouwmeester, Pitkanen, Eminger, Coburn, Phaneuf, Seabrook, Barker. Those are the big names taken early. Very few of them are even close to be considered best in the NHL.

In the most realistic expectations, I'd be extremely happy if Fischer pans out into a serviceable 2nd pair puck-moving D-man who can do the job in his zone too like, say a more defensive Tom Poti. And I expect it'll take him about 4-5 years before becoming a full-fledge regular, a couple years more before being solid. Anything better than that would be a big bonus.

BTW, saying Fischer will for from 185 to 220 is very optimistic. That's 35 lbs of muscle you're talking about here. I doubt that much weight gain would come without a mobility/speed sacrifice. I'd expect him to settle at around 200/210 lbs, giving him a frame like Ryan Whitney (Pittsburgh).

I would hope that the Habs personnel folks would be high on the kids they drafted this past weekend. Hehe. I could see it now...

"Well, we had no clue with who to take at #53, so we taped some names on the wall and had Bob throw some darts up there. It took a few tries, because we blindfolded him and he got Savard in the ass a couple of times..."

Sounds like that's the technique Bobby Clarke used this time around. Didn't even knew the name of the guy they were drafting! (Giroux)

Reality is that the same qualities were mentionned back in the days when we drafted Hainsey or Wilkie. Reality is that only a minority of prospects ever reach those high expectations everyone -- medias, scouts, fans -- places on them.

There's loads of D-men who were better and much more hyped than Fischer that got picked in the last 10 years. Phillips, Zyuzin, Jackman, Brewer, Mara, Stuart, Klesla, Komisarek, Hamuis, Bouwmeester, Pitkanen, Eminger, Coburn, Phaneuf, Seabrook, Barker. Those are the big names taken early. Very few of them are even close to be considered best in the NHL.

In the most realistic expectations, I'd be extremely happy if Fischer pans out into a serviceable 2nd pair puck-moving D-man who can do the job in his zone too like, say a more defensive Tom Poti. And I expect it'll take him about 4-5 years before becoming a full-fledge regular, a couple years more before being solid. Anything better than that would be a big bonus.

BTW, saying Fischer will for from 185 to 220 is very optimistic. That's 35 lbs of muscle you're talking about here. I doubt that much weight gain would come without a mobility/speed sacrifice. I'd expect him to settle at around 200/210 lbs, giving him a frame like Ryan Whitney (Pittsburgh).

Sounds like that's the technique Bobby Clarke used this time around. Didn't even knew the name of the guy they were drafting! (Giroux)

And once again, you just posted a bunch of stuff I already knew. I know my hockey and the reality of it very well. My first post was quite explicite with the "could" become....I don't like being corrected for something that was already said in my post.

As for Hainsey, never was it mentionned that he had determination, motivation and leadership skills, on the contrary, he was lacking these things. Not the same at all. Don't remember what they were saying about Wilkie. All that I know is, it's not the same recruting staff selecting this time and I have much more confidence in this staff. Like I said, all #1 picks so far look promising.

Also, a top D in the league was not to imply best in the NHL, I mean a top 30 maybe, a #1 by team, or something similar, maybe top 20.

As for the weigth, 220 or 210, who cares, the point is that he will get much bigger. As for the frame, he's still 18 and I have seen guys bulk up a lot with small frames. At 6,4", reaching 200 is a strict minimum no matter what the frame is, that's the reality of anatomy. Funny you mention Whitney, is 6,4" 205 and will get a little bigger with years, like all man do. As for mobility, if you work out in a smart way and maintain the skating and flexibility exercice, there won't be any loss, in fact, adding strenght might make him stronger and faster. Pronger was a skinny kid and he's pretty mobile now that he's at 220 lbs.

Anyways, we agree that any prospects, even Eric Johnson, are not guaranteed top players or even NHLers.

As for Hainsey, never was it mentionned that he had determination, motivation and leadership skills, on the contrary, he was lacking these things.

I have to add that he is a bit of a hotdog too. I watched him only a little bit while he played for Hamilton and I can say is mot of the time he just was not interested in playing. Once in a while he would grab the puck and skate like the wind and make a fabulous play. Then he would get beat in his own end looking dumb. Sort of like his stint with the Habs. Mediocre hockey players need not apply to the Habs!

The only thing I disliked about Hainsey is the fact that he was a first round draft choice and was lost due to a call-up. Plus the Habs had to pay half his salary. The way we talk about defenceman you would have thought Bob Gainey could of at least got a second or third round draft choice for him.

Loosing him(a first round draft choice) for nothing still makes me mad. :angry:

A. Kostisyn may be the next one to watch for, they say that his dev. at his age is more advanced then his older bros. and I think it has been unanimous in other forum boards that we all want to see what he does this year, so my GUESS (not to get killed) would be to watch out for the little brother of Kosty.

if we hadn't been already crowded with prospects last season, A Kost would have remained with the team.

I'll make a bold prediction and say that Perez will get traded by the end of the season and that A Kost will step in on his roster spot.

A. Kostisyn may be the next one to watch for, they say that his dev. at his age is more advanced then his older bros. and I think it has been unanimous in other forum boards that we all want to see what he does this year, so my GUESS (not to get killed) would be to watch out for the little brother of Kosty.

:?- :?- :?- :?-

Andrei Kastitsyn IS the older brother though...

I'm confused.

Here's what Timmins had to say about all our picks.

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/207120.html

I love how they sound like steals, yet are not "Andre Savard" stamped... kinda relieved after seeing AS quit that he has nothing to do with the last 2 drafts (so it doesn't really affect our future drafts)

:?- :?- :?- :?-

Andrei Kastitsyn IS the older brother though...

I'm confused.

My baad, if it wasn't for this great memory that doesn't last very long, I would have gotten' that right :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

In the journal de montreal, timmins said he was really proud of getting guillaume latendresse in the 2nd round and considerd him a 1st round pick. he mentionned that he was fitter than ever .