$6mil A Season For Havlat?

sbhatt

I'd give Havlat $7M really. When the guy is healthy, he's a fantastic and dangerous player. Plus, he's at his prime right now, so that's even better.

I'd give Havlat $7M really. When the guy is healthy, he's a fantastic and dangerous player. Plus, he's at his prime right now, so that's even better.

True he's a great player but $7M? 6M is maybe... Especially after lighting it up in the playoffs.

Maca, am I right in saying that Hossa has been better for longer and is still better and has accomplished more than Havlat and is more important to a team (some leadership + he's a nice guy, compared to Havlat's holding out caracter) etc... so that Havlat should sign any given contract with any given team for 1-2-3 M LESS than Hossa?

Well, Hossa is earning 6M per.

This 6M to such a RFA (it's not to Spezza or to Staal who have led the league last season, it's to a guy who missed most of last seasosn and who acts like a bitch) is getting close to the 10M contract to Paul Kariya which really marked the beginning of the end.

It's funny, (not just Havlat) when guys have a "breakout season or playoffs" and sign/resign for huge $$.

What happens if they suck and have an "off season or playoffs" Do they give back some of their salary................. :P

It's funny, (not just Havlat) when guys have a "breakout season or playoffs" and sign/resign for huge $$.

What happens if they suck and have an "off season or playoffs" Do they give back some of their salary................. :P

Haha, that's like in Mr. Deeds when he's talking to the football player and asks if he can pay him less if he doesn't play as well.

I'm pretty sure the conversation went something like this:

Martin Havlat : "I want a one year deal!"

Dave Tallon : "How does a 3 year 18 million dollar deal sound?"

Martin Havlat : "Deal"

I'm biased because Havlat is one of my favorite players. He's one of the best goal scorers in the league, and a team like Chicago needs that kind of talent right now... so I think he's worth every penny (unless he fizzles like Yashin now that he has the money).

Plus, can't teams take players to arbitration if they don't produce? I'm not 100% on the rules of it, but that may be an option.

Anyway, we should be happy, he's out of our division for possibly 3 years :D.

I'm pretty sure the conversation went something like this:

Martin Havlat : "I want a one year deal!"

Dave Tallon : "How does a 3 year 18 million dollar deal sound?"

Martin Havlat : "Deal"

lol that really made me laugh. Tallon thinking "Did I offer him a tiny bit to much here?" and Havlat thinking "Thanks god for sending me to this Bozo"

6 mil to a guy Ryder knocked out for months seems a bit steep for sure.

Havlat is wicked offensively, but I dont think he is really worth that much at all. However, I understand why the Hawks would sign him for that. Havlat is probably the best player they have had in years, so they were more than exuberant to sign him long term. Not to mention their team was a joke last year, and that was mainly because they had a uber low payroll, so they did have a lot of cap space to over pay a player they really want.

Realistically, I think he's worth more like 4.0-5.25

Edited by Sir_Boagalott

It's ironic when you think about it

The cap was created to help small market teams like Ottawa to compete. What it accomplished for them so far is make them loose both Chara and Havlat for nothing and next to nothing

I can only hope, for Chicago's sake that this doesn't become Khabibulin #2.

# 1 was, taking into account the Bulin Wall's performance last year, one of the worst signings in my recent memory (along with Yashin & the Islanders). :o

If Martin does the same as Nikolai did last year, it'll be a real shame. :nono: The thing is I don't think that the GMs as a whole will see that as an object lesson. :nono: The bucks will still flow for the big names to the game's detriment. :nono:

:king: :hlogo: :king:

The cap was created to help small market teams like Ottawa to compete. What it accomplished for them so far is make them loose both Chara and Havlat for nothing and next to nothing

False?! :huh:

Without the cap, the Sens would have lost Redden too. The cap allow them to throw competitive offers for UFAs. The cap allow them to remain the the "ballpark" of team budgets...

Without the cap, it's as if you were adding 6-7 more teams in there to sign free agents (Detroit, Rags, Colorado, Dallas, St-Louis all equal to approximately 2 X teams like Ottawa.) Heck we'd even have lost Bouillon who would have signed for 3M in (surely NY for him too)

Ottawa couldn't retain these guys b/c of the 44M cap... But before the cap era, their budget was at roughly 40M (maximum)... So you think that without the cap, they'd have kept Chara and Havlat... for a total payroll of something around 57M

ROFL...

I can only hope, for Chicago's sake that this doesn't become Khabibulin #2.

# 1 was, taking into account the Bulin Wall's performance last year, one of the worst signings in my recent memory (along with Yashin & the Islanders). :o

If Martin does the same as Nikolai did last year, it'll be a real shame. :nono: The thing is I don't think that the GMs as a whole will see that as an object lesson. :nono: The bucks will still flow for the big names to the game's detriment. :nono:

:king: :hlogo: :king:

I surely hope it does. Chicago should become a blatant example of irresponsible managing for all. I sure hope that they'll be caught under the cap, unable to move their sucky guys and unable to keep their good guys because of that.

It may seem that the cap does not work but think about it. Colorado no longer has Tanguay, Blake, Forsebrg etc... Toronto cannot sign big name guys any longer as they are cap maxed. Detroit could not keep Shanahan.

The cap has really changed the mentality of G.M.'s across the league as guys on the bubble will not get decent contracts and the real stars are the ones that get great offers. (Elias, Luongo etc.)

Ottawa has MANY excellent players that will demand top dollar so there is no way they can keep them all. Havlat is an offensive machine that Ottawa could not afford so they got what they could for him. (Call it a future salary dump, since they could not keep him)

Habs can now compete in the new world. Do you think the center of the universe team Toronto is better off than Montreal? No way, and small market (really small hockey interest) teams like Florida and Nashville should do well in the new NHL.

GM's are crazy...They think one player is going to change their whole team?! They dont know nothing about hockey and Havlat is no Sidney Crosby, Jagr or Ovechkin. History proves that teams with a few overpaid stars and nothing else fail in the playoffs.I thought that seeing Carolina win the cup would remind other GM's how to build a solid franchise.

Now if Tallon can work something out and get more guys to complement his team he might have a local television deal for the Hawks this season.

Don't know much about the Hawks, do you?