Carbo's Plans

KoZed

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20060714...RTS/607140718/0

Summary

- Carbo likes Samsonov. Played against him. He dont think Samsonov is another "small & weak forward", he will go in traffic. "Height and weight, I dont have a problem with that. Myself I played at 5-10 and 168 lbs".

- Carbo says Ribeiro will play between Samsonov and Kovalev. Carbo says next season will be very important for Ribeiro's career, that now talent alone isnt enough. He says Ribs had a good finish last season once paired with Kovalev, says that now with Samsonov to finish it would be a dangerous combination.

- Plans to use Johnson on the 3rd or 4th line and on the PK. He wants players who can do the job at both ends and Johnson seems to fit the bill.

- Says there will be room for rookies if they earn a promotion. Says there's "a couple of available spots. If one or two rookies push through the door, it will give us more latitude to make changes."

- Wants to start the season with both Huet and Aebischer. "I never believed in a system where there's a #1 and a backup that couldn't win games. I want two goalies who can give me a chance to win games." Says it'll be his (Carbo's) responsability to give Aebischer enough starts and that Huet only has 80 NHL games, isnt a Brodeur or Roy yet and has lot left to prove. He wants that when one of his goalie steps on the ice "he looks at me saying 'You won't pull me ever again'"

Edited by KoZed

Johnson was the top scorer of his team at +60 points on the last full season he played before last season which he had that one closing with some +50 points. This guy will now be asked to play on our third or even our 4th line......wow obviously Montreal is getting set to play at a different level than we have been used to for a long last while.

Carbonneau said it yesterday,....he wants to see his 4th line scoring a well.

The Habs are building a team like Buffalo, i.e., one that doesn't necessarily have a lot of *big name* superstars but can roll out three or four fast lines, all skilled, all dangerous. And that is exactly the way to do it in a cap system, where player mobility is increased. Unlike, say, the Rangers with Jagr, this model of team building supposes that no one player is indispensable. You kill 'em with your depth. Johnson is a perfect fit for this model. :hlogo:

I'm excited to watch this team next year. The only thing that Carbonneau said, which can be interpreted in more than one way, is the statement about the netminders. What kind of message does that send to Danis if his coach doesn't have faith in him?

I'm excited to watch this team next year. The only thing that Carbonneau said, which can be interpreted in more than one way, is the statement about the netminders. What kind of message does that send to Danis if his coach doesn't have faith in him?

Aebischer is already an NHL goalie - he was a #1 starter......

Carbonneau has basically just thrown down the incentive for him to beat out Huet, and for Danis to work hard in order to steal a spot if possible.

Proper office politics rules that you don't insult a capable NHL goalie who has already earned that status.

Carbonneau has basically just thrown down the incentive for him to beat out Huet, and for Danis to work hard in order to steal a spot if possible.

Proper office politics rules that you don't insult a capable NHL goalie who has already earned that status.

I only question it because I thought (still not clear) that Danis would have to clear waivers if he was returned to Hamilton. I can't imagine the Habs will roll with 3 goalies on the roster.

And as far as line 1a, and 1b...despite what I think of the differences between Ribeiro and Koivu, the SRK line by far would be the most threatening line to play against. I would definitely categorize the HKR line as a second line, as other than Koivu, neither player is a true proven top line talent.

Edited by CaboWabo

I only question it because I thought (still not clear) that Danis would have to clear waivers if he was returned to Hamilton. I can't imagine the Habs will roll with 3 goalies on the roster.

I'm not an expert on training camp demotions/waiver wire moves - so I'll leave that to Gainey & company.....

However the fact that Danis was signed is definitely aimed at putting more pressure on the existing goalies to win the position. Danis while he seems to look good enough to play, has unfortunately has not yet proven that he is an NHL goalie? hopefully he is, and that the Habs move the right backup goalie out of town at the first chance.

It would be careless of the Habs to not sign those three and take the current posture regarding who ranks where in the pecking order. The top two are Huet and Aebischer, and the job is theirs to lose..... it's a tried, tested and true method of coaching!

It should be an interesting training camp, that is unless a deal happens sooner?

Edited by beliveau1

Now I'm asking for it. Beliveau1 (something about that name I love :D ) I disagree. Huet hasn't exactly proven in a "full" way he is the real deal. I know, I know. I'm going to eat these words.

My point is that Theodore "proved" himself in 2002. Well, what have you done lately?

Same thing with Huet. I do agree that Carbo shouldn't tip toe around that issue or even mention it.

I await your wrath :P

Or are you referring to Aeby ?

BTW: HTR has a poster who wrote this:

"According to Fan sport radio in Ottawa Fan890, they said an hour ago that CJAD in Mtl is reporting from a source close to the Biron familly that a trade will be made by the weekend.

To Detroit: Martin Biron - Maxim Afinogenov & a draft pick

to Buffalo: Robert Lang & Nicklas Kronwall

take it or leave it, I just heard it on the radio."

We'll see - it's a rumour right now

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

And as far as line 1a, and 1b...despite what I think of the differences between Ribeiro and Koivu, the SRK line by far would be the most threatening line to play against. I would definitely categorize the HKR line as a second line, as other than Koivu, neither player is a true proven top line talent.

I think that if you're sent down to the farm team BEFORE the season starts, you don't get put on waivers. Otherwise, wouldn't we have lost Hainsey a lot sooner last year?

I will disagree with you Ribeiro is centering ONE of the first lines! Koivu is centering the other First line!

Samsonov > Higgins and Kovalev > Ryder, so I'm guessing that makes it the first line. Or Line 1a, definitely.

Samsonov > Higgins and Kovalev > Ryder, so I'm guessing that makes it the first line. Or Line 1a, definitely.

Ahh, but you've forgotten...

Koivu >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ribeiro

lol, kidding aside, I agree that Sammy - Ribs - Kovy would technically be our first line. Ribs is there in hope that he becomes the player he's supposed to be, or we find a better suited center for the line.

Time or never for Ribeiro to show he can produce. If he cannot with those guys.. he's as good as gone.

Can't wait to see that line. Hope the chemistry works well. Could be awesome!

In fairness to Higgins, it was his rookie year. He could have over-achieved the last half of the season, or that could be the way he plays his entire career. There's also the possibility that Samsonov doesn't click with Ribeiro and Kovalev, and Ryder or Higgins trade spots with him. It's still a few months to training camp, and then the regular season. A lot can happens before game one.

The Habs are building a team like Buffalo, i.e., one that doesn't necessarily have a lot of *big name* superstars but can roll out three or four fast lines, all skilled, all dangerous.

:blink:

Thats the funniest thing I've ever heard. :lol:

The Habs arent building a team like Buffalos. Buffalo built there team like the Habs. ;) You basically just described every team the Habs have ever won the Cup with. :D

Bonk should produce a lot more offensively if Johnson is on his wing.

Ribs definitely better do something, or for sure he'll be gone. Ribs will have no excuses when paired with Kov and Samsonov.

I agree that there is no real need to move Aby, unless you can get players the Habs really need, and the Habs dont look like they need much now.

:blink:

Thats the funniest thing I've ever heard. :lol:

The Habs arent building a team like Buffalos. Buffalo built there team like the Habs. ;) You basically just described every team the Habs have ever won the Cup with. :D

Right...the Habs' dynasties of the 1950s, 60s, and 70s didn't have ANY superstars.

Sheesh.

In fairness to Higgins, it was his rookie year. He could have over-achieved the last half of the season, or that could be the way he plays his entire career. There's also the possibility that Samsonov doesn't click with Ribeiro and Kovalev, and Ryder or Higgins trade spots with him. It's still a few months to training camp, and then the regular season. A lot can happens before game one.

Of course... but Samsonov still > Higgins. Its just the reality of it.

Now I'm asking for it. Beliveau1 (something about that name I love :D ) I disagree. Huet hasn't exactly proven in a "full" way he is the real deal. I know, I know. I'm going to eat these words.

I agree with you on this ... Abby has played a full season and most of last season so he knows what it takes to make it though a whole season ... Huet hasn't done that yet .. he may falter or just get tired ... I hope not but its nice to have an option like Abby to go to .... now if say a month or so into the season if Huet looks great ... then move Abby to a team with an injured goalie ... ( like in Vancouver's situation last season ) the habs will be able to comand more in return.

also lately i've been thinking of these line combo's ... they would be interesting 3 scoring lines and a checking line ( that can still score ! )

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder

Samsanov - Bonk - Kovalev ( get some size in the middle to crash the net )

Perezhogin - Ribierio - Johnson ( Johnson will be smart defensivley and hit the net to open room for the other two )

Begin - Plekanec - Downey/Murray ( Plecks and Begin have a tone of speed and good defensive ablities and can still pop in a few here and there )

This 1a line 2b and half line is getting silly and silly is not what we want to be...unless it's funny.

Lines have a name....the name of the player centering it.

The Koivu line, Ribeiro line, Plek line, Bonk line.

The top lines are your power play lines.

The depth lines are the ones providing the players to be used when killing penaltys.

I am shure that our top lines will be productive this year but even better

than that (in my book anyhow),..... they will be ALOT of fun to watch also.

Carbo's plans are simply what they are, off-season plans. I had plans every time I went to the bar in my youth, unfortunately they didn't always pan out as I had hoped <shudder>.

It is however promising, perhaps Carbo will be a patient Head coach who gives lines time to gel. I just love the fact that I get to see Carbo giving interviews as the Habs coach. Maybe it's finally setting in that one of the Habs I respect the most as a true leader is now leading our troops from behind the bench.

As I edit this post, I realize my plans worked out a great percentage of the time, so go Carbo go!

:ninja:

Edited by The Saint

Carbo's plans are simply what they are, off-season plans. I had plans every time I went to the bar in my youth, unfortunately they didn't always pan out as I had hoped <shudder>.

That's because when you're a youth, you have "hormonal fantasies" more than actual plans. :P

it is do or die season for Ribs,

and we will see how the "kids" (Higgs, Pleks, Perez...) do without an olimpic "break",

It's a hell of a long season, not to take anything away from their accomplishments last year.

Does this remind anyone of Herr Julien?

Rookies stuck on the outside (again) while Randy McKay's alter ego is brought in to help "buoy" the team.

I love Carbo, I love the acquisitions, and I'm all for giving Rhibo a shot at turkey-slapping the nay-sayers of yesteryear, but I get the feeling that the Habs might just dissapoint us this season.

Fingers crossed I'm wrong.

And Bob, can you get another D plsktksbye

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20060714...RTS/607140718/0

Summary

- Carbo likes Samsonov. Played against him. He dont think Samsonov is another "small & weak forward", he will go in traffic. "Height and weight, I dont have a problem with that. Myself I played at 5-10 and 168 lbs".

- Carbo says Ribeiro will play between Samsonov and Kovalev. Carbo says next season will be very important for Ribeiro's career, that now talent alone isnt enough. He says Ribs had a good finish last season once paired with Kovalev, says that now with Samsonov to finish it would be a dangerous combination.

- Plans to use Johnson on the 3rd or 4th line and on the PK. He wants players who can do the job at both ends and Johnson seems to fit the bill.

- Says there will be room for rookies if they earn a promotion. Says there's "a couple of available spots. If one or two rookies push through the door, it will give us more latitude to make changes."

- Wants to start the season with both Huet and Aebischer. "I never believed in a system where there's a #1 and a backup that couldn't win games. I want two goalies who can give me a chance to win games." Says it'll be his (Carbo's) responsability to give Aebischer enough starts and that Huet only has 80 NHL games, isnt a Brodeur or Roy yet and has lot left to prove. He wants that when one of his goalie steps on the ice "he looks at me saying 'You won't pull me ever again'"

Koz, all I can say is this: do you need a bib while at Ribby's knees? 1st line? *snorts* Have you actually WATCHED HIM PLAY FOR CRISSAKES?