Carbo's Plans

KoZed

Does this remind anyone of Herr Julien?

Who? :blink:

The rookies are still there (Higgins, Plekane, Perezhogin, Murray and Streit, yeah I know he's 27 but it was his first year in the NHL last year and showed some promise later in the season). With Zednik, Bulis and Sundstrom all gone, Gainey simply them with better players. Samsonov is better than Bulis on the left wing with Kovalev and Ribeiro: he has better puck-handling skills and better speed and acceleration than Bulis had, not to mention the offensive upside he brings on the line. Zednik, who was Mr. One-handed-wrap-a-round, was not the player who finished the plays the last few seasons is replaced by Johnson, a more reliable player defensively and who, playing on a bad Coyotes team, still got a +7 rating. He was also 5th in team scoring with 54 points.

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder

Samsonov-Ribeiro-Kovalev

Perezhogin-Johnson-Plekanec

Murray-Bonk-Begin

Markov-Komisarek

Bouillon-Souray

Rivet-Dandenault

Huet

Abby

Ex: Downey, Streit

I find the team better overall and the lines are more balanced. Kostitsyn and Latendresse would sent down to the minors.

Can someone tell me: if Danis is sent down to Hamilton, must he pass through waivers first?

Koz, all I can say is this: do you need a bib while at Ribby's knees? 1st line? *snorts* Have you actually WATCHED HIM PLAY FOR CRISSAKES?

Usually, the line that has the best two wingers of the team on it has pretty good odds of being the 1st line. So when Carbo says "Ribeiro will play with Samsonov and Kovalev", it pretty much translates as "Ribeiro will center the 1st line".

Get it yet?

Now I'm asking for it. Beliveau1 (something about that name I love :D ) I disagree. Huet hasn't exactly proven in a "full" way he is the real deal. I know, I know. I'm going to eat these words....

I await your wrath :P

Never any wrath intended (that is unless you just come here to insult & troll like the odd one might!)

Always enjoy your comments - at least you debate with dignity! :hlogo: :hockey:

I think I should have expressed that posting a bit better - my faux pas?

Obviously neither Huet nor Aebischer are true starters in the sense of somebody like Brodeur and similar company. Neither is Cam Ward or Ryan Miller, despite some excellent performances this past playoff season.

However in comparison to Danis they are to be considered as starters based on their experience.

Because we were dealing with those three I thought it was a logical deduction to draw, but I should have been clearer. I assumed and it made an ass of me, not you!

Who knows if they will implode and burn this year - same can be said of a lot of young goalies who did well last year(Ward & Miller incleded.) Hopefully this year you will eat those words on Huet and that they will taste pretty damn good!

As for the name - Beliveau was the classiest player to ever put on an NHL jersey, bar none.....

My two cents again.... something tells me this SHREEK or the SRK line as some of you stated is offensively good! but in case of a turnover or a takeaway is lacking in de D dept. Unless Sammy has proven to be a quick diving blocking back skating individual!

My theory is that even if Carbo has already named Ribs to man this 1a or 1b line he might not actually be the chosen one ... and in the same way we traded for Bonk, with aspirations of some offensive power (to go along with his checking) I think Gainey and co hopes Johnson will stay true to last years numbers!

So My guess is unless ribs trains on his D side... I preview a swap on that centering line!... I could see koivu there and Ribs back with Higgins and Ryder ( in Higgins D we trust) But Johnson is not going give up a fight if he see's a niche in the top two lines!

Corvina has spoken!

:P

p.s. regarding the blog "Souray Is Requesting A Trade?"

Sorry just seems a waste of time writing about that! and now? I agree he should be swapped before the trade deadline but thats it get over that and lets talk about Sammmy Johnson or Muller's contribution and how he might hit sparks with some players and how Carbo might illuminate the Ribs factor and his defensive side!

Edited by CoRvInA

Usually, the line that has the best two wingers of the team on it has pretty good odds of being the 1st line. So when Carbo says "Ribeiro will play with Samsonov and Kovalev", it pretty much translates as "Ribeiro will center the 1st line".

Get it yet?

Montreal obviously isn't craming it's '' best '' individual players into a single line unit like some teams do.

This uneven spread of individual talents on our top lines is based on tactical and strategique values.

Teams like matching their own checking line against a no 1 line whenever they clearly sees one,......here we try to avoid getting sucked in that trap......since doing so is counterproductive to start with.

Our top lines cannot be ranked officially among themselves..........that's the idea.

Althought it would be stupid to try to grade the Ribeiro line against the Koivu line......they will in fact have

distinctive '' personalities ''......and those will be used by Carbo to our team's profits.

The Koivu line has a good two-way attribute to it and could therefore get used more often than not in matching the opposition's team's no 1 line whenever such distinction will present itself.....the Ribeiro line on the other hand might end-up getting power-play first wave status based on the offensive efficiency of their scoring prowess.

Our top lines are looking good and so does our depth lines.....as I see it, this team will not only wins it's fare share of games and makes strides over last season.....it will be one of the most plaisurable team to watch playing in professionnal hockey.

Edited by PB

I think we will allow many goals but we will also score many goals... lots of 5-5, 6-4 results upcoming unless Huet plays like the demon he was last season. But Im very confident that we will make the play offs before april and noone will want to face our speed.

Montreal obviously isn't craming it's '' best '' individual players into a single line unit like some teams do.

This uneven spread of individual talents on our top lines is based on tactical and strategique values.

I dont think it has anything to do with tactics or stretegies. It was just plain adaptation. Around the middle of the season last year Saku and Kovalev just stopped clicking, same with Ribs and Ryder. There was nothing happening with both lines. The coaches just had to swap the centers in hope something would happen, it worked and everyone got going again.

I think Koivu and Kovalev both wanted to control the puck too much to be effective on the same line, by breaking them Kovalev got a center who didnt mind feeding him more and Koivu got wingers who prefered to let him control the puck.

That's the tough part of coaching. As good as your lines can look on paper, if the players just dont have chemistry you have to shuffle your lines.

That's why Carbo's planned lines have a good chance to work. The only think that dragged down Ribs & Kovy last year was the lack of a LW that could finish their plays. Samsonov can fix that.

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder worked well, until Koivu got hurt in the playoffs. Then Higgins & Ryder were lost and didnt do much for the rest of the playoffs.

Debating about which lines is #1 or #2 is as pointless as debating who is the starter and who is the backup. Just look who the coach sends in the most important times and it'll answer the question all by itself. Lines matching doesnt really come into play.

The way I see it, the reason why people have such a hard time labeling lines #1 and #2 is because unlike what is usually the norm, the #1 C isnt on the #1 line. If it was Koivu instead of Samsonov up there, nobody would question it is the #1 line.

I find the team better overall and the lines are more balanced. Kostitsyn and Latendresse would sent down to the minors.

Can someone tell me: if Danis is sent down to Hamilton, must he pass through waivers first?

Latendresse goes back to juniors. Danis would go through waivers (99% sure). However, I think Danis could start the season in hamilton w/o going through waivers... but maybe would have to come up on 50/50 waivers.

Edited by simonus

Latendresse goes back to juniors. Danis would go through waivers (99% sure). However, I think Danis could start the season in hamilton w/o going through waivers... but maybe would have to come up on 50/50 waivers.

Recall waivers are out.