HABS @ LEAFS (Game Thread)

puck7x

Id love to hear why they cant lose normal so I dont get su upset... why do they allways have to lose in the last minutes of the game. Buljong suger lur. I will never call him Bouillon anymore... now he is Buljong... the liquid that meat lies in in soups.

Originally posted by jeppa

Maybe it's time to get Hainsey a new shot? How is he doing down in Hamilton?

I think its time to cash in our chips and trade some of our extra useless (to habs) forwards for some help on defense. Its obvious that Julien doesnt have any confidence in Komisarek (who knows why...) , plus we've all seen what Bouillon is capable of... ugh... So thats 2/6 D-men who either cant play , or arent being played.

Time to trade Perreault for a d-man , or Audette (though who the hell wants him?) ...

Originally posted by jeppa

puck7x: Is Markov's play really that out of pace this season? If not I can't understand we he's getting 15-16 min of icetime, when Bouillon gets 20+...  

Your watching the games, please tell :)

Its because Bouillon is a Julien favourite , thats why he's getting so much icetime , some will say that Bouillon has "deserved" his icetime , I dont think so. Markov might be playing poor because of injury problems , maybe he hasnt fully recovered from his last injury , thats my guess.

So Markov's sub par play most of the year is because of a mysterious injury... and Bouillon who has good more nights than not belongs in a beer league.

Not to mention Rivet's play for most of the year, or Quintal who had struggled badly for quite a few games.

But the focus is strictly on Bouillon... people like picking on the small guy I guess.

Some things will never change.

The fact is if Markov was playing like he did last year, Bouillon wouldn't getting as much ice-time.

For that I blame Markov, not Bouillon.

I also blame Hainsey for not getting his act together.

For the record looked ok to me tonight, if Bouillon was played so often I guess it's because Julien wanted the more physical guy in there against a very physical team.

And yes, I wouldn't mind if we traded a right D for a left D... make room for Komi and relegate Bouillon to #7.

That's part of why I was open to the Peca-Hamrlik for Koivu-Rivet rumor that seems to have died as quickly as it came.

[Edited on 21-12-03 by Habs77]

Originally posted by Habs77

So Markov's sub par play most of the year is because of a mysterious injury... and Bouillon who has good more nights than not belongs in a beer league.

Not to mention Rivet's play for most of the year, or Quintal who had struggled badly for quite  a few games.

But the focus is strictly on Bouillon... people like picking on the small guy I guess.

Come on habs77 , you should know how I feel about Rivet , dont like the guy much :) ... Lately though , Bouillon has been on my bad side. Maybe I am picking on him , but he deserves it... He is at best a #6-7 NHL d-man , not a #3-4 , as he is being used. He makes far too many mistakes , and lately they've been leading to goals against (not just tonight).

I'm not picking on the small guy. I could easily say that you (and others) are "cheering for the little-guy" (or underdog) . Works both ways.

Oh and... I was just having a bit of fun with the "beer league" option in the poll. I think its alright , since I'm not forcing people to vote for THAT option. Its just an option.

[Edited on 2003-12-21 by puck7x]

Fun game to watch with a little bit of everything going on. The better team won, for sure, but Montreal came out and gave them a good workout and showed once again that they aren't a pushover team anymore. Furthermore, as a habs fan, you just have to be ecstatic about the performance from a plan point of view, and it's got to be a fabulous pleasure to see this team performing with intelligence, with heads up, and without giving up even a little. How many years has it been since we could say we had something akin to a 'lunchbox crew'.

Black eye for the NHL with respect to the reffing. Both teams had every right to complain consistently and in particular the third as call after call was missed. Blatant high sticks, tackles and various other nonsense was allowed to go on like it was a pond hockey game, and in truth, it takes away from the spectacle. I'd rather see the refs call one or two things thus indicating to the players that they had control over the game instead of a free-for-all where players are as likely to get injured as make a good play - the game got out of hand in the third. I know this is Don CHerry hockey, but it's a mockery of the game.

Habs fans could say that had Dackell scored we might have won the game, but I bed to differ since there were at least two, if not more, times where the Leafs missed an equal side-of-the-net opportunity. The reality was a hard-fought game where the Habs were outplayed for two of the three periods, but only barely. A lucky goal wins it, but Toronto deserved the win with the better performance anyhow.

~~

Notes:

Theo: Despite a rebound control that was significantly worse than usual, he still kept us in the game with a series of spectacular stops. The goals against him left him with no chance and the only reason he comes out with a loss is a terribly unlucky deflection. A-

Bouillon: He had a few good hits tonight but was seriously pushed around as well. It was his deflection that scored the winner, though you can hardly blame him since he cut out a possible scoring pass at the same time. He did, however, forget Tucker on the latter's goal and was in trouble down low consistently. C

Rivet: I don't know what it is about him, but his first shift each games seems to be a disaster. After that, though, he settle down and played solid defensively. Something I've noticed recently is that, while he's a big guy, he doesn't use leg power in his hits, it's all upper body, and therefore the player he hits tends not to get knocked off the puck much. Ergo plays continue where they should be cut out. B

Komisarek: Tight game against one of the league's best so he didn't get much ice time. He made one mistake on shift two or three and barely made it out again. N/A

Markov: Looked great tonight winning those one-on-one's against the boards and playing some really intelligent and confident hockey. His brilliant pass to Dagenais gave the first goal, and no other habs could have done that with 50 attempts each. Shame Komi was sat because I found that he and Markov looked like they were starting to work out a little chemistry and Komi was moving the puck quicker to Markov. A-

Quintal: For a big guy, he was pushed around a lot tonight. He was fairly solid, but there were times I thought he was going to literally hand the puck to the Leafs here and there. Is it me, or is he having a lot more hesitation in his game lately. The sooner Breezer gets back, the sooner Quintal can be platooned with Komi - until the latter takes over completely. C+

Souray: He had a tough assignment in the Sundin line, and he acquitted himself well. He didn't really stand out, but when you have to handle one of the better players in the game, it's good that you don't - means you aren't making mistakes. I'm still noticing lots of little things he's really doing well - poke checks et al, and it's really improving his game. A-

Langdon: Good fight, his knuckles looked horrid afterwards. Had a few nice checks, but that was about it. Should have had a penalty at the end of the first when he tripped Domi, but got away with one. N/A

Kilger: Shrug. N/A

Gratton: Well, he may not be laced with talent, but he's laced with heart and as such, fits in well with the rest of the working boys. I have to wonder if we'll see Audette again. Interesting that Grats took shifts for Juneau here and there - the latter's back was obviously hurting. Equally interesting is that he did a fine job taking over for Joe. Not as good as Begin, but no real complaints. B

Dackell: Another fine game. I love that he's raised his game a notch and he's being consistent with it. He's taken some of the Julien lessons and is really sticking with them game after game. He works harder, hits more, and always goes to the net. And as usual, wins a majority of his board battles. A-

Sundstrom: Good solid game against some strong players. I think he's finally adapting to the Eastern game and it's about time. Also hice that he's started to gel with the team - for the longest time he seemed an outsider. I'm particularly pleased that he doesn't curl away in the corners all the time, but occasionally sticks his nose in and tries to make things happen. B+

Juneau: He's hurting and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he called his retirement soon - even as soon as sometimes before the New Year. He's just come back from injury and now his linemates are taking faceoffs, he's being beaten regularly to the puck and he just doesn't have that flash he had early in the year. Now, he still does a fine job on the opponents centre that he faces and defensively he's a solid player to have, but he's losing ground at a steady rate now. C+

Dagenais: Inconsistent game in that he was a force one shift and absent on the next. His defensive game needs serious work and it's a good thing that line was facing the other teams third and fourth lines or we might have been clobbered. I love the shot, love the work around the net, but I don't like what he brings elsewhere. He's got a long way to go before he really becomes a regular in the NHL. I know he's getting lots of points now, but remember Hossa - five goals in five games. Where is he now?? Oh, and Marchment's hit on Dags after he scored the goal? COMPLETELY legal, so I hope there's no complaints when I log on. There was no way March would have known the puck was in by the time he made the hit, and it was a shoulder hit barely after Dags had released it. B

Zednik: He's terribly inconsistent of late. One shift on, one shift off, and I don't like it one bit. I know he's probably pining to get back on Sax's line, but since the first line is playing so well, he shouldn't hold his breath. I love his strength particularly down low, but I'd like to see him use it more defensively and on the boards as well. B-

Ribeiro: Do not at all be shocked if you see he's benched again soon. Despite scoring tonight, he had a few shifts where he lingered on and on and that's completely unacceptable. Love that he scored, he needed that for shooting confidence, and love that his passing is that great, but I don't love his inconsistency. When he's playing against the other teams lesser lines, however, he'd better get points or he'll be in the minors. He's *got* to work on his defensive play more. If he's being out-muscled, he's going to have to learn better positioning. B

Bulis: That's a few games in a row now where he's made a defender go the wrong way, and I see where his offensive confidence is starting to rise. A couple more games and a few less aware defenders than the one that knocked the puck off his stick at the last moment tonight and he's going to start piling in the points. If everyone worked like Bulis, this team would be the hardest working team ever. Oh, and that obstruction call where he was skating for a partial break? Laughable. And I'm glad he did rather than take four for calling the ref blind. A

Ryder: Even against the strong teams he shows he can make things happen. He was excellent along the boards and still made plays against a really solid Toronto team. This is one rookie that's going somewhere fast. He may not have had a shot, but he had a few just-misses. B+

Koivu: Best player on the ice tonight. He was all over the place and I can almost say his defence was better than his offence, and he was creating all night, so that's saying something. I wish he'd play against Swede players all the time, because as a Finn, the rivalry there pushes him to his heights. Dominant. Oh, and he's become a really good faceoff guy! A+

~~

There are so many little things that are coming together nicely for this team that. despite the loss, I feel extremely satisfied. From the short time where Komi and Markov looked really good to Markov's strong play to Souray's continual improvement in his game, to the whole team playing together instead of individually. And the list goes on and on. A new player steps in and fits right in, which once again says a lot about Julien and his system. Ribs and Dags getting points consistently. Sax starting to really round into form. Theo looking great.

A *team*.

Two games to the Christmas break against the Pens and the Caps and I think we can say, without having seen those games, that the initial phase of the 'Gainey' plan is a complete success. How many out there would have put the Habs a game over .500 at this point and playing the most unified hockey they've played since Jaques Demers?

And yet we still have those two games to go and even if they are against struggling teams, we can't take them lightly. The Pens usually get up for games against Montreal because the owner is a Montrealer. The Caps have made a coaching change and I think you'll start to see them playing better. At least we can say that the Habs will be well-prepared, and if they continue to be consistent, as they have been, then I think we'll watch a couple of fun games. The goal has to be three points out of four, though, because you don't want to throw away valuable points against 'weaker' teams.

A Concerned Fan.

For once, I'm actually going to add my 2 cents to this thread...

First of all, Bouillon-yes, he did have a rough game, but who hasn't this season? I agree he is being over-used, and is best suited as a #6 or #7 d-man, however there are also some nights where he is one of our best d-men out there as well. I know it's frustrating to lose like we did, but it happens, it's over, time to move on.

Second, Komisarek. He played just 4:23 last night, all in the 1st period. SRC was speculating before the game that Komi wouldn't play, and was very surprised to learn he was in the lineup. They also announced that Karl Dykhuis is with the team right now, so read into this as much as you want to.

For those who watched the SRC postgame, wasn't that a nice feel-good story involving the 94-year old Theodore fan attending her first NHL game? For those who have no clue what I'm talking about, this woman in a wheelchair went to her 1st NHL game earlier this season vs Florida. Before the game, she recieved a Theodore #60 jersey and it appeared to me that she had a special seat as well. The best part was after the game, when Theodore went and visited her, signed her jersey and just made her night in general. (There was someone else in the room with Theo, but I can't figure out who...)

There were plenty of positives last night, the one bad thing being the score. The powerplay continued to produce, going 1/2, putting us over 17%, and into the top-10 in the NHL in this area. The PK was decent, going 4/5 against one of the top PP teams in the NHL as well; we've also allowed just 1 PPG in our last 17 times shorthanded. I was impressed with Gratton, he was aggressive on the PK, and also had a shift or 2 on the PP in 8:51 of icetime. Overall, we played a pretty good game, the score could've gone either way, unfortunately it went the Leafs' way, however if we continue to play like we are at the moment, we should be able to take care of Pittsburgh tomorrow and Washington on Tuesday, which will make some forget about this game anyways.:ghg:

My thoughts on the game, once the Leafs tied it at 2-2 in the third are best summed up by my buddy I was watching the game with. "Leafs look like they're going for the win, Habs look like they're playing for one point."

Not only that, but what the hell was with the players that were on the ice in the last minute? Mr. Julien, give your head a shake.