Gainey About To Pull The Trigger?

Habsolute

We have 25 players signed, only 23 will be on the roster. There is still some questions raised if Koivu will be ready for the beginning of the season. Bouillon and Streit are injured and are not expected to start the season. Gainey said at the end of last season that he would like to improve the center (big and skilled) and the defense (good offensive and pp defenseman) positions. We only upgrated the wing position with Sammy and Johnson. Dumont wants desperetly to play with the Habs (still not sure thought if Gainey is interested). Like before the Kovalev trade it's so quiet these days surrounding the Montréal Canadiens. What do you think, is Bob about to pull the trigger? :hlogo:

Edited by Habsolute

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am pretty sure Gainey is still looking for a big name centre. I would not be surpised at all if he did trade a couple roster players for a centre and sign Dumont as well. That seems to be the "talk" which probably means it ain't true...but I want to believe it is. ^_^

As for having 25 guys on the roster; the likes of Cote and Ferland will be playing in the AHL. Cote may stay while Bou is injured.

Edited by Mr. Nasty

As I said on the other thread about Gainey & a D-man, I believe that Côté will be coming up for a long temporary stint.

Some others of the Bulldog defensemen (Sandford, Archer, O'Byrne) will come up and do a few shifts on an occasional basis.

So, there won't be any gunshots this summer or fall.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

There are a few Centers that are available or would be at the right price, including; Gomez, Briere and Marleau.

With Dumont a suitable replacement, I could definitely see BG moving Ryder along with a Dman ( Sourray) or a prospect (Perezhogin) for a Center. Ribeiro could then be moved for a mid-level pick imo.

A solid Dman would be important to get back, or to sign (Leetch) in order to at least fill the gap while Bouillon is out esepcially if dealing a Dman.

Higgins Koivu Dumont

Samsonov C Kovalev

Kostytsin Plekanek Johnson

Begin Bonk Murray

A solid Dman would be important to get back, or to sign (Leetch) in order to at least fill the gap while Bouillon is out esepcially if dealing a Dman.

i think you just hit the reason why this type of trade wouldnt happen. We cannot forfeit D-depth in exchange for offense. 2006 Leetch < Souray... I imagine most exchange combinations available to BG involving Souray would be a net negative for the defense.

Now if we dont move Souray, matching salaries in a trade becomes difficult. I am of the camp that would not be shocked if perezhogin were not on this team by the trading deadline, but I'm not sure we have the cap space and moveable salaries to get value in the preseason.

Edited by simonus

I wouldn't mind anyone from st louis

We have 25 players signed, only 23 will be on the roster. There is still some questions raised if Koivu will be ready for the beginning of the season. Bouillon and Streit are injured and are not expected to start the season. Gainey said at the end of last season that he would like to improve the center (big and skilled) and the defense (good offensive and pp defenseman) positions. We only upgrated the wing position with Sammy and Johnson. Dumont wants desperetly to play with the Habs (still not sure thought if Gainey is interested). Like before the Kovalev trade it's so quiet these days surrounding the Montréal Canadiens. What do you think, is Bob about to pull the trigger? :hlogo:

At the end of last season BG never said anything about his desire on improving our D during the off-season,....he did say thought that he would be interested in acquiring a forward,......

and he did when signing Samsonov and trading for Johnson.

At the end of that day, he told that he was done for the summer.......in the end, cap wise, it was

exactly where, he had said some time earlier, he would have wanted it to be.

The table is set,...that's why it's quiet.

We thought Aebisher to be our sole dispensable asset prior to the summer but other options

where out there for GMs to look at.........in the end Aebisher is most likely not going anywhere.

All the players we now have....we need....none are dispensable.

As Dumond been made available prior to the Johnson trade.....I suspect that he would

have been the chosen one.....but it didn't happen.

this whole ilk of site is basically composed of speculation and rumour-mongering... this guy's continuing insistance that markov is on the trading block makes me doubt even more than usual.

Edited by simonus

kk thx man, but does anyone see any build up from the bonk rumour on that site, does it make sense or is it just bull?

Hey guys I was just wondering if the site http://rumorsnhl.blogspot.com is a re;liable source or is it just someones opinion cuz they're saying about bonk getting traded and i dont really believe it.

that one must be one of the stupidest rumor I ever read.

this the source of the rumor : Gabriel Morency

"Gabriel Morency is truly one of a kind on the Montreal radio dial. Whether he’s talking with today’s stars of the pro sports scene or breaking it down with one of the Teamsters, Morency’s razor sharp comments leave no one to wonder what’s going to be said next!! Morency tells it like it is, and the fans on the street appreciate that. Morency is the “King of AM Mayhem”

Before radio, Gariel played minor hockey and was on his way to England to play professionally but chose a career in entertainment, leading to the music business and ultimately Radio. Morency placed 4th in the Montreal Readers Poll as the biggest sports personality in the city only behind Jose Theodore, Saku Koivu and Vladimir Guerrero."

the guy does a night show where he talks about anything..really entertaining but thats all

anyone whos sites morency as a reliable source has no credibility

I been reading a lot of posts saying Perezhogin can leave Montreal and Perezhogin is the one they want out if it has to do with prospects.

Can i know whats the problem with this kid who has had one year experiance in the nhl, and lost a year in the AHL to develop...

One more thing Gainey to pull the trigger i don't think he will, and rumors about marleau i REALLY doubt SJ would trade him hes got so much value to the team and all it makes no sense getting ride of him, and in the Playoffs hes a star.

We need a bigger center true but as much as i hate Ribiero, he has one more year to prove his worth and also majoity of teams have there weak players, ours is Ribiero wich isnt that bad besides being lazy.

Gainey will only sign Dumont if he ends up trading Ryder. Wich i dont see happening. I don't think there is much more change that will be happening to the habs except for Aebischer being traded but not right away.

And no one will take Bonk lol, at his price its like buying one peice of gum for a dollar.

And Koivu will be ready for the season he got on the ice early last week and from then till Oct 6th theres lots of time.

Perezhogin is a good player. The reason he is most likely to be traded IMO is that he is a type of player (skilled winger) that is more easily replaced due to the depth. Kostitsyn is a very similar player and the Habs only have room for so many. Latendresse could be just as skilled offensively but is more physical.

Higgins or Komisarek are much harder to replace with the Habs current prospects. Perezhogin is also at the point where they may be able get a good return with. He still has upside, is cheap etc. (For example a guy like Hossa could have fetched a lot more than Garth Murray a few years ago.)

Edited by Mr. Nasty

lmao Carbo is willing to let Markov and Ryder go for more offensive and defensive help. So, he's willing to let our best defenseman and our best attacker go for more attacking and defensive help. Kinda kills the point, doesn't it.

I saw that Bonk rumour myself. Who can say. IMO: Gainey is ready to go with this team. But, if he could improve the team we all know he would make the move. I suspect Gainey is quietly making lots of inquiries. We have only just found out that Eric Desjardins was approached by Gainey.

UNDER THE RADAR :hlogo:

Perezhogin is a good player. The reason he is most likely to be traded IMO is that he is a type of player (skilled winger) that is more easily replaced due to the depth.

I guess so, but I still say keep him! And all our other prospects.

Do we really need to bring in more players? The Dumont rumor has a lot of steam. If he WANTS to play with the Habs then thats a different story, but if not then I do not see him coming in, nor anyone else. Give the prospects a chance to play and I bet we will see a few surprises out of them.

If Gainey makes a trade, I hope a few prospects will be overlooked, although IF he does bring someone in, we could see one go. :( I hope not!

The Bonk rumour/JP signing actually makes sense, except that it would relegate a player to the fourth line.

Samsanov - Koivu - Ryder

Dumont - Ribiero - Kovalev

Higgins - Plekanec - Johnson

Perezhogin - Begin - Murray/Downey

?

A rumor [on another board] is Habs signing Dumont 4 yrs 10 mil; and bonk goes to the Caps for a pick.......

"Montreal is close to trading Radek Bonk to the Washington Capitals for a draft pick to make cap space.

This cap space could be for J.P. Dumont as the Habs have offered him a 4yr, 10 million dollar deal.

Will keep you updated"

"im just giving other habs fans the info that ive seen".

Even thought it was on a French radio station in Montréal (CKAC 730) last friday, I'm surprised nobody heard of an interview with J.-P. Dumont where he said that he told his agent Montréal is top priority. Anyway. IMO we are stack with the same type of players at the same position (wings). We are still missing a big, skilled offensive center (first or second line, depending of the quality of the player). If we say Markov is our no.1 D offensively, I say Souray is our third so we still missing a no.2 offensive Dman. Defensive Dmen are Ok with Komi, Bouillon, Rivet and Dandy( Streit is a spare or trade bait IMO). The only way I see Dumont coming, cause he's a winger, is a trade involving 1 or 2 wingers (Ryder and a prospect) with one center (read Ribeiro or Bonk) and a Dman (Rivet, Streit). I don't know how Bob see it but just count with me: Kostitsyn, Perezoghin, Plekanec, Grabovsky, Chipchura, Latendresse, Locke and others + our veterans, that's a lot of forwards. We will have to make some room for these kids someday or trade while they still have good trade value. My 2 cents. :hlogo:

Hey guys I was just wondering if the site http://rumorsnhl.blogspot.com is a re;liable source or is it just someones opinion cuz they're saying about bonk getting traded and i dont really believe it.

Looks like a createyourownrumors.com to me.

Like Colin, I particularly like the Markov and Ryder's trade for improving our team's offense and defense.

Of course the Bonk's trade is full of savor as well althought I am surprised that the creator has limited

himself to Washington has the sole team being interested for his service.

I am shure we could do better than that.

A rumor [on another board] is Habs signing Dumont 4 yrs 10 mil; and bonk goes to the Caps for a pick.......

"Montreal is close to trading Radek Bonk to the Washington Capitals for a draft pick to make cap space.

This cap space could be for J.P. Dumont as the Habs have offered him a 4yr, 10 million dollar deal.

Will keep you updated"

"im just giving other habs fans the info that ive seen".

Although this sounds like an ideal move,,,,

I'm not sure BG is ready to dump Bonk. He has only one year left on his moderately overpaid contract. Bonk this year will be playing for his next sheet.

Don't be surprised if he has a pretty decent season.

JP for 10 over 4 sounds good but ,,,,,

I'd rather wait for C-C-C-C-C-Crosby :rolleyes::rolleyes: