A Joke!

jordy11

So I go to Archambault today, looking to buy The Hockey News Fantasy Guide. Not there. So I finally buy The Score 2006-2007 preview, thinking that it's better than nothing... False! So I get home, open it at the Habs page, only to see at the top: Predicted Northeast Division finish: 5th. without even reading what was written about my favorite team, I flip the pages back to fing the predicted order of finishing. Then, I started laughing.

Eastern Conference

1-Buffalo

2-Tampa Bay :o

3-New Jersey

4-Carolina

5-Ottawa

6-Rangers

7-Boston

8-Flyers

9-Atlanta

10-Washington :lol:

11-Florida

12-Toronto

13-Islanders

14-Montréal

15-Pittsburgh

Is that a joke or what? Then I read the Habs' analysis, only to find the usual ''lack of size, need a no.1 Dman...'' crap. Not only this, but putting Buffalo no.1? They have the same kind of team as our, with offensive depth, speedy forwards, 6 reliable defensemen, 2 good goalies...

Just to give you an example, here's the ''Bottom Line'', according to The Score:

This version of the Habs is too similar to the 05-06 model-aside from the arrival of Samsonov- to suggest any significant improvements.While there's plenty of talent down the pipeline, the club needs to revamp its veteran core in order to surpass the likes of Ottawa and Buffalo. Unfortunately, both the Boston Bruins and Toronto Maple Leafs improved themselves in the off-season, and have inched closer to Montreal. Making the playoffs this time around will be a struggle for the Habs, while even avoiding the division cellar won't be easy. Look for a battle between the Habs and Toronto for the 4th place in the northeast.

So, the real bottom line is: DON'T BUY THE SCORE 2006-2007 PREVIEW, unless you really, but really have $10 to throw away.

Analysis?

Give me a break. I buy one mag a year. It's THN yearbook. It's all I need for pools. Except this year doesn't have anything beyond the 1st 10 scorers in the NHL :angry:

Anyway, THN is on planet Pluto :blink:

Er, wait. I forgot. That's not a planet :P

These idiots regardless of the Score or THN are all out in outer space anyway. Anyone on this board would do a better job!

THN 2006 had Carolina finshing DEAD LAST in the east :wacko:

Why would they publish their preview now? Teams WILL change compared to what's on paper now.

They should have waited till the start of training camps at least................

All these previews/ perdictions are coming out earlier and earlier all the time, pretty soon after they announce the Conn Smythe winner they'll release their predictions for the following year.

Almost as bad as the dept stores; I went into Zellers today, and they had the Halloween stuff out [which is fine] but 1 row over was the Xmas decorations................ :wacko:

So I go to Archambault today, looking to buy The Hockey News Fantasy Guide. Not there. So I finally buy The Score 2006-2007 preview, thinking that it's better than nothing... False! So I get home, open it at the Habs page, only to see at the top: Predicted Northeast Division finish: 5th. without even reading what was written about my favorite team, I flip the pages back to fing the predicted order of finishing. Then, I started laughing.

Eastern Conference

1-Buffalo

3-New Jersey

4-Carolina

5-Ottawa

6-Rangers

7-Boston

8-Flyers

9-Atlanta

11-Florida

12-Toronto

13-Islanders

14-Montréal

15-Pittsburgh

Is that a joke or what? Then I read the Habs' analysis, only to find the usual ''lack of size, need a no.1 Dman...'' crap. Not only this, but putting Buffalo no.1? They have the same kind of team as our, with offensive depth, speedy forwards, 6 reliable defensemen, 2 good goalies...

Just to give you an example, here's the ''Bottom Line'', according to The Score:

This version of the Habs is too similar to the 05-06 model-aside from the arrival of Samsonov- to suggest any significant improvements.While there's plenty of talent down the pipeline, the club needs to revamp its veteran core in order to surpass the likes of Ottawa and Buffalo. Unfortunately, both the Boston Bruins and Toronto Maple Leafs improved themselves in the off-season, and have inched closer to Montreal. Making the playoffs this time around will be a struggle for the Habs, while even avoiding the division cellar won't be easy. Look for a battle between the Habs and Toronto for the 4th place in the northeast.

So, the real bottom line is: DON'T BUY THE SCORE 2006-2007 PREVIEW, unless you really, but really have $10 to throw away.

The only thing The Score is good for is player scouting. Picking TB, NJ, NYR, BOS and Philly to make the playoffs is a stretch in itself. Gainey, Carbo, Jarvis and Muller could lead the Hamilton Bulldogs to the NHL palyoffs! The best was picking ATL, WAS and the Maple Laffs ahead of the Habs...I needed a laugh..THX. These yearly mags should be used as a reference more then anything else.

LMAO Tampa 2nd and Montréal 14th.. the opposite is more probable :lol:

Is this your way of telling me it's too early to put up my Xmas tree?

YES!..............We have neighbours who still have their Xmas lights up from last year.....but their also Leaf fans. So I don't even care what they think/do... :king:

LMAO Tampa 2nd and Montréal 14th.. the opposite is more probable :lol:

it all depends on D..tampa has a great goalie now.

moontreal will finnish 6th en route to their 25 cup

When you read stuff like that it makes me wonder if we are all crazy and biased. It seems to me that we should be predicted to be fighting for tops in the division. I don't know how these people get paid to write about hockey and are not made accountable for their mistakes. Last years THN's predictions slotted Carolina into 11 or 12 in the east I think. There should be some accountablility put on these people. I have decided not to buy any of these rags anymore as I lump them in with National Enquirer and US magazine.

Well...IF Koivu's peripheral vision doesn't come back, we could well find ourselves out of a playoff spot. I don't think people are taking this problem seriously enough.

However, those idiots were presumably assuming a healthy Saks. In that case, their 'predictions' are asswipe - as others have eloquently stated :P

well I guess I'm one of the only few that enjoys that kind of reading. especially since Its still a few weeks before training camp and I need my hockey fix. of course there' some people that think that montreal will finish dead last every year...it just balances the rest of us who think that montreal will win the cup every year as well.

well I guess I'm one of the only few that enjoys that kind of reading. especially since Its still a few weeks before training camp and I need my hockey fix. of course there' some people that think that montreal will finish dead last every year...it just balances the rest of us who think that montreal will win the cup every year as well.

In that case, shouldn't Toronto be ranked 30th every year? :king:

There is no point in even bothering with these stupid so called "experts".

In sports illustrated last year, pierre maguire put carolina, dallas, and the rangers at the bottom of the league while ranking the panthers in the top ten.

They're useless.

This is the first year that at the forward position, we actually have guys playing their roles.

Ryder, higgins, zednik, bulis, ribeiro; they were all playing on a line that was too good for them. These are all second line guys (bulis being a third line guy) who were occupying first line roles.

With the addition of samsonov, we finally have two lines that can share the load of top ines on a team.

Our third line will finally be dangerous with Johnson, Plecanek and perezoghin, and the fourth line is still as strong as ever and bonk won't have the prssure to produce offensivly.

Our only problem is on D. All we need is maybe one really good defencemen (a puckmover who can hit) and i beleive we're prime for cup contention.

When adding this to all the subtraction the maost other teams in the east made, we're looking good.

Buffalo loses Dumont and a d-man.

Ottawa loses Chara and Havlat

TO loses their second best center and gets slower on D

New Jersy is losing Gionta or Gomez or Both

Atlanta loses Savard and Bondra

Ilasnders don't improve

Tampa loses Kubina

i think we're looking good

But Tampa added a good goalie and Ottawa has great scorers and added a goalie. Jersey is scary when you think of how they ended the regular season last year and Toronto will always SUCK. My point is we did get better but so did other teams.

How good is Gerber if he's no longer part of the defending Stanley Cup champions? I mean, he was pegged as the starter going into last season, lost the job to a rookie, kinda won it back again, got shelled in the first round of the playoffs and lost it again, got back in during a weak stretch by Ward only to lose it again, then had the team hand the job to Ward during the off-season by not offering him a contract.

Marc Denis kinda had the benefit of playing on an expansion team, so people have kind of passed off his poor won-loss record on the team in front of him. He won't have that luxury anymore. Now he has to prove that he is better than the team in front of him, one which is not exactly a carbon copy of the 03-04 Cup winners. If Denis' numbers don't change, then what?

Of course, there's also the possibility that Huet could be last year's one-year wonder and Toronto made the deal of the draft in getting Raycroft. But that's why the games aren't played on paper, and there's 82 games in a season. And that's why we watch.

Habs will finish no lower than 8th spot. This team will be better than last year as the Rooks will be better.

Anything a Toronto fanboy magazine, or Toronto sports media writes is always riddled with Make-be-laughs homers trying to hype their team.

What are they going to say when Leafs do not make the playoffs again?

:hlogo: !

both the Boston Bruins and Toronto Maple Leafs improved themselves in the off-season, and have inched closer to Montreal.

Hmm, if the Laffs got better, then how could this be true:

11-Florida

12-Toronto

The Laffs ditch their shitty goalie, and get a new and improved much better goalie, and still place behind their old goalies new team. :lol:

Makes lots of sense eh. :rolleyes:

Why is everyone so bloody upset by a magazines predictions of how the NHL divisions will end up this season just because your team is ranked lower than you had hoped for. And what is it with the thought process that if someone, somewhere happens to have the audacity to disagree with you, then they are to bel automatically labelled as idiots, incompetent, losers, morons or whatever other suituble term?

I have to say in all seriousness that if the habs's had been picked to finish higher, then I'm willing to bet that most of you would have thought these guys were absolute geniuses - that they were bang on?

The fact is, one must realize that right or wrong, these prognosticators have decided to think differently than a passionate fan might. And so what if they choose them to finish lower - this is all about selling a magazine (and you must realize that they are doing it in an English speaking market with all it's' sporting fans implications)

Why get so upset at their choices, when all that matters in the end is if this team is capable of finishing better than they did last year. Maybe this slight will be the incentive they need to do just that?

Edited by beliveau1

Well, obviously it's not 'important' in some metaphysical sense. It's just irritating, because it shows a sort of knee-jerk dismissal of the Habs that's a hangover from their years of suckage; I just don't see how anone who has actually thought about the team can think they're gonna do WORSE than last year, assuming a healthy Koivu. The 'too small too soft' argument, besides being one that has been thrown at practically every Habs team in history including several Cup-winners, ignores the new NHL where speed is at a premium. It's just dumb. And this unreflexive 'Habs suck' analysis comes from people who parade around as experts. But these 'experts' seldom face any accountability - they can retroactively change their opinions to fit the facts, they can just ignore idiotic statements they made in the past, they can outright contradict themselves; there's no one to call them on it. (It''s like Off the Record, where the comments of 'non experts' are frequently as good or better than the supposed professional commentators). This makes it doubly irritating when they obviously don't do more than consult prior prejudices when pronouncing on a club. They're not doing their jobs, but they still think of themselves as 'experts.' Good thing they're not building bridges.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Eastern Conference

1-Buffalo

3-New Jersey

4-Carolina

5-Ottawa

6-Rangers

7-Boston

8-Flyers

9-Atlanta

11-Florida

12-Toronto

13-Islanders

14-Montréal

15-Pittsburgh

Great! :lol:

Another top 5 draft pick! :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Looking forward to it! :clap:

:king: :hlogo: :king: