Usa Stunned By Greece ...

Theberge43

LOL!!!!

This is what happends to a country thats glorified with the dunk. They will continue to lose to a team with strong fundementals until american players actually learn the fundementals of basketball.

Exactly ... I think its the bling bling that wieghs them down ... they blind themselves with it and that's why they can't make jump shots and 3's. :blink:

boxing out, mid range jumper, defence, passing the ball and playing like a team instead of an all star team. The USA basketball team will continue to struggle unless there is a will by all of basketball in the US from high school on up to teach fundementals instead of relying on one star player.

(my high school won the state championship twice each time it was a one man show, this is not good for the game in this country, because those one man shows go to college and do the same, then the NBA and still do the same they never learn how to be a team)

And until basketball in this country is taught as a TEAM sport and not an individual sport the USA team will continue to lose to the Argentina's, Greece's, and Puerto Rico's of the world.

Raptors TV play-by-play guy (& radio host) Chuck Schwerski (sp?) called it. He thought Greece might win this one.

So - perhaps the loss isn't as much of a shocker as one might think.

Americans seem to be surprised when they find others can beat them. There are some similarities to this and the national soul searching that went on after Canada's dismal hockey performance at Nagano. Sure, they came back and won the Olympics and World Cup after that, but success is a fleeting thing, as the most recent Olympics have shown.

The mighty have fallen, both in basketball and hockey. I tend to think in both cases that it is more a case of other teams getting better, and not the favourites necessarily getting worse. In any case, these tournaments will be more interesting than in the past.

Americans seem to be surprised when they find others can beat them. There are some similarities to this and the national soul searching that went on after Canada's dismal hockey performance at Nagano. Sure, they came back and won the Olympics and World Cup after that, but success is a fleeting thing, as the most recent Olympics have shown.

The mighty have fallen, both in basketball and hockey. I tend to think in both cases that it is more a case of other teams getting better, and not the favourites necessarily getting worse. In any case, these tournaments will be more interesting than in the past.

We sucked at the last Olympics but we haven't fallen. We're the defending Womens gold medalists and two-time defending World Juniors (and we weren't even supposed to medal at the last tournament). Our men choked in one tournament but it doesn't mean we've fallen. We're still the top nation in Hockey.

USA and basketball is another story. They haven't done squat for years.

Well I dunno probly per person in Canada you are but Remember Sweden during the olympics got old in mens and silver in womens. I don't know about worlds and juniors because I don't follow them because ESPN doesn't show those tournaments.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying we're leaps ahead of anyone by any stretch. Sweden won the last Worlds and Slovakia is definitely an up and comer along with current heavyweights Finland, Czech and Russia (they're starting to fall though). However Russia is right there with us for the Juniors as are the Americans.

I'm just saying we're not dropping the ball with hockey like the States are with basketball.

And all those reasons are precisely why the NBA is a horrible game to watch, and even college is starting to get that way.

Man, I hate watching the last 3 minutes of a NBA game. They last like 20-30 minutes with all the fouls and time outs. It's ridiculous.

Basketball?

This sport still exists?

I thought it had been renamed ChokeCoachBall. Or maybe EgoBall. BlingBall. As mentioned, the ends of games are about as fun as watching paint dry. Makes baseball look like an action sport.

Man, I hate watching the last 3 minutes of a NBA game. They last like 20-30 minutes with all the fouls and time outs. It's ridiculous.

They changed some rules around to quicken the pace with the last CBA but it still sounds iffy to me. I'll have to see how it plays out but watching the last minute of an NBA game is so horribly boring.

I'm not shocked by this at all really.

The US has underachieved at World competitions in basketball for a long time.

I disagree with the statement that its because they are a 1 man show. It's more like they are a 1 note pony. When the note is changed, they dont have a clue what to do. It's the styles. The NBA style isnt the only way to play the game, and when they play teams that dont play the NBA style, it throws a huge wrench into their game plan, because its the only game plan they have. These tourney arent long enough for them to be able to adapt to each teams different styles.

Compare it with hockey. Teams that only know how to dump and chase, are instantly done when they play teams that know how to defend the dump and chase style.

When you only know 1 style, you are forced to keep using it, even when its prooved that its not working.

I still says they should just make an NCAA all star team. Get a college coach and put them in the olympics. Those kids will play hard, thats all I think the country wants. At this point they just want the team to show that they really care and play the game right.

But another part of me thinks that the public just doesn't care about national sports teams anymore. They too caught up in local teams. Which I find really funny since nationalism has been on the rise here in the past few years.

Heck, I've seen more germans being fanatic about there own country in the last few years in a country where nationalism is was basically banned because of what that led to before the second world war.

Here its like oh well go (enter local team here).

What happend?