HABS vs CAPS (Game Thread)

puck7x

Can the habs win back to back games for the first time since late October?

Will Theodore play today? Or will we play Garon who has played well against the caps in the past?

Whats Markov's status? How about Plekanec? Wonder if he plays, probably wont.

I'll be at the game today , the habs record for games I've attended so far this year is .... 5-3-2 , not bad.

:hlogo::hlogo::hlogo::hlogo::hlogo:

:ghg::ghg:

[Edited on 2004-1-4 by puck7x]

TSN just said that Theo is in net tonight.

This is the 3rd back to back game that Theo has played both games this year.

Komosaurus is also in, which makes me beleive Markov is still out.

Perrault and Sundstrom were both injured. Kilger and Pleckanec are in. Kilger is playing on the 3rd line with Dackell and Juneau. Koivu back on the 1st line.

(Edited to provide updates)

[Edited on 2004/1/4 by Toren]

Finally the Habs get back to back wins, 4-1 final. Ryder has his first career two goal game and added an assist to take over the rookie scoring lead.

Habs are playing really well as of late, and they have finally managed to string together consecutive wins. Let's keep it going against Buffalo on Tuesday night.

wow Habs have now a 19-15-7 record.. 1 game before mid mark of the season. Going for 40 wins ?? wow!!

Ryder now leading rookies, another goal for Souray, Koivu leading by example (see that tremendous shorthanded shift on the 2nd period?).. some good news for the Habs.

Ryder impress me more and more.. looks confident and is somehow lucky: he's often well positionnated, right where the puck comes. Finally a rookie broking in!

Now if the Habs can win tuesday vs buffalo I'll be able to delete my stupid signature joke :guru:

Two in a row, what else can you say? I think a lot of cradit for this has to go the the coaching staff, and particularly Julien, who put Koivu on the point for the PP, thus allowing the Habs two have two bonified passers to feed the snipers. It has made such a huge difference and has the Habs steadily climbing the tables. The PK deserves as many if not more accolades since the game in Calgary, as since then they've been fantastic. Tonight was yet another example of perfection, and in fact there was the added bonus of Juneau's goal - there's life in those old legs yet!

Koivu looks like a man possessed. His game has risen more than just a notch and he's making plays I haven't seen him do in years. The six-game point streak aside, it's his movement with the puck, his play off the puck, and his extremely deft - and more aggressive and confident passing - that's really caught my eye...and his work ethic has really rubbed off on Ryder whose game has gone from good to great.

~~

Notes:

Theo: Not much to say since he makes it look so easy when he's positioned well. He wasn't on that shot from the point that went in - you could see he was favouring one side of the net, but it was a quick play and there was plenty of traffic in front. I'm really impressed lately with his rebound control which is giving the defence little to do - a good thing! A

Bouillon: Ends up as a plus three on the game - and he deserved it. Now, it has to be pointed out that the Cap team was basically AHL, heck even Bondra and Zubrus were missing thus leaving them with Jagr, Lang, and Gonchar as the only real threats offensively. However Bubbles played each well when the time came. B+

Rivet: His ice time has been cut down to a level I think the coaches believe he can handle while he transitions his game from high-risk to low. Tonight he played his minutes well, and didn't make any kind of glaring errors. He's still got to learn to use his body more effectively, however it's not nearly as glaring as when he's making the bad passes and stupid plays as well. One thing I have noticed, he's moved to an extremely simple game where he chips the puck out if there's any question whatsoever. He's the only defender that does this at the moment and I have to believe he's been given explicit instructions until his game, and confidence, comes around. B

Komisarek: He didn't get much time out there and I think it's because the coaches were worried Jagr and Lang would make him look silly. I'm a little disappointed in that since this is the exact team (AHL-quality) where he would probably benefit from more playing time. However I understand that he's working very hard with Rick Green at the moment, and perhaps after he's moved over a hurdle or two in the video room he'll get that playing time. B-

Brisebois: A return of the Breezer of old. More than a few times did he sent pucks in front of his own net for little reason. I was not impressed with his game at all tonight and if he doesn't stick to the basics, I fear we're in for a parade of unhappiness. C

Quintal: KISS principle for him works wonders especially against big strong forwards in the Jagr mould. He played his game to perfection and wasn't caught out in any major way all night. I think it really helps playing alongside Souray as well. B+

Souray: Sniper scores again! But again, the best part was watching him do all the little things the right way. He played Jagr very well most of the night, only giving Jarmo a few chances here and there - and I've yet to see a defender play that guy perfectly yet - even when he plays like he doesn't give a damn as he has lately. A-

Langdon: He played a strong game in terms of finishing checks and working the puck. He also did his job defensively and you can't ask anymore of a fourth line player. B

Ward: What's with the laying off of the checking game? Doesn't he remember that's what got him here in the first place? Sure, fine and dandy that he created Juneau's goal, but when you're fourth line you can't play like a second liner and curl away from the hits. I was afraid of this: he's not having very much of an impact at all since the injury - is the AHL in his future? C-

Plekanec: Good speed and great jump. One thing I really like about him is the ability to be at top speed in a few short strides as it gives him that jump on the puck. He's rarely second in a play and is always harrying his opponent. Here's a kid who's taking each and every shift and making the best of it, and it's only the numbers game which will catch him out and have him back in Hamilton. He's going to make the decision to send him back down a real tough one. B

Dackell: If there's one guy who's contract is up at the end of the year yet who may very well be resigned, it's him. He brings so many small things to the team that so few notice. First, he's wonderful on the PK. Second, he does his job on his line and you can count on him to bring the same game night in and night out. Third, he's incredible with the puck in the opponents zone being able to pin it along the boards against two and three opponents for long periods at a time - crucial in terms of changing momentum and PK work. Tonight, while not sparkling, he did his job solidly as usual. B-

Kilger: Shame shame shame shame shame. Too little too late from Shrug. Why he can't play like he did tonight on every night I'll never know or understand. He was mking the hits necessary and was strong at both ends. Well, at least he made a good show for the trade market. B

Juneau: Still a defensive genious. He played the Jagr line well and made more than a few strong defensive plays. The fact he chipped in with a goal is just a bonus. B+

Zednik: For shifts, he looked like the guy who could score 30+ and be a real spark on the team. For other shifts he did his around the net usual and didn't create anything other than an offensive turnover in favour of the Caps. Consistency in that hard working play is the ticket. B-

Dagenais: Midnight is coming and I'm thinking those glass slippers just won't fit. Literally all he can do is shoot. Ribs makes a zone entrance, dishes it off to Dags, and he has a one-timer from...the point? I don't think so. His dump ins are shots, he shoots from no angle... Great scorer in the AHL for these reasons, but a real NHL player he is not. D

Ribeiro: Once that puck was over the Washington blueline, Ribs looked pretty good tonight - as long as he wasn't trying to beat people. When he does what he does best and passes the puck, he's successful, but at this point, everyone is used to him and those dipsy-doodle moves don't have much success. Right now, quite honestly, it looks like he struggles when carrying the puck. He gets in position well and can dish it off nicely, but he's more likely to lose it than do something useful when he retains possession. Defensively he's a wash. B-

Bulis: The only thing that disappointed me about his game tonight was the fact he didn't get a hattrick against his former team. Other than that, business as usual. A-

Ryder: Zowie, zesty, zingy! Can this guy shoot or what? And check out that stickhandling ability! And the hits...and the passing...and...and...and A

Koivu: I did a little stats checking last night and if he'd played the whole season and had his preseason and carried his point-a-game thing like he's doing now, he's top-20 scoring and top-10 centre-wise. His vision is world class, and he's moving faster and faster on the puck now. As I mentioned before, he's also becoming more aggressive offensively with the puck and it's really giving some huge chances out there. Nice to see his defensive game improving constantly as well. A

~~

It's the little things that count: sticking up for each other, working the system well, playing with intensity each shift. There's a reason Julien is starting to get recognition and we're seeing the fruits of his hard labour on the ice. Take one step higher up the chain of command and we can see how Gainey has taken a somewhat fragmented club and has focussed everyone and everything. We're on track and it *feels* like we're watching a strong club now.

Sad to say, but Houle dismantled a strong team. When Savard eventually took over, we were in shambles in most areas. Credit Savard, though, for gathering the pieces of a broken franchise and turning it around. He did it with stop-gap measures while he filled the empty cupboards, and along the way gave a few contracts he shouldn't have, but all in all, I think his work was vital to the turn around of the Habs. Enter Gainey and he's taken the start that Savard gave and is running with it, slowly stamping himself in every aspect and in the meatime using words like:

Accountability.

Intensity

Effort

And when needed:

Yellow. ;)

The Montreal Canadiens are for real.

A resurgent Buffalo comes to town on Tuesday with a healthy Drury back in the lineup. This will be no easy contest, in fact it'll be significantly tougher than any team we've faced since Toronto before Christmas, likely. (Dallas is struggling way too much to call them a tough team.) We do have momentum and we know the team will in all likelyhood show up and play hard, it's just a matter of sticking to the system and taking advantage of opportunities.

A Concerned Fan.

Well we won , wasnt our best effort of the year (especially first half of the game) but we pulled out the win. Ryder was outstanding! Was nice to see Plekanec to get some action (even though it was because of injury) , and I was surprised to see Kilger playing , but later found out it was only because of another injury...

Did you guys hear about the nutcase who drove his car straight into one of the Bell Centre entrances tonight? , the guy was a nutjob! Honestly was insane. No one was injured thankfully...

Originally posted by jl.roberts

I just finished watching the game. What a great game from THE CHAD.

Yeah he played alright , I wouldnt call it great , I'd call it "the way he SHOULD be playing every night" ... He's just going to go back to his old self the next game.

I hope he doesnt , but lets be realistic.

Originally posted by Guy!

Dagenais: Midnight is coming and I'm thinking those glass slippers just won't fit. Literally all he can do is shoot. Ribs makes a zone entrance, dishes it off to Dags, and he has a one-timer from...the point? I don't think so. His dump ins are shots, he shoots from no angle... Great scorer in the AHL for these reasons, but a real NHL player he is not. D

I'm guessing from your last few game recaps that you just don't like Dagenais, regardless of what the guy does. Nobody expected him to make the team to start with, and he's doing a decent job out there, IMO. I didn't expect him to come in and tear up the league, but he's contributed more than some other players have for the team. For all of the players the Habs have had the past few years that tend to shoot a lot, Dagenais can at least hit the net more often than not.

Originally posted by jl.roberts

I just finished watching the game. What a great game from THE CHAD.

He played OK, and yes, this is what Gainey has hoped that Kilger would do. I wouldn't call it a great game though. I don't know if you watched the game on TSN or not, but the announcers ther were drooling all over Kilger for some reason. He played a good game on the third line, nothing to be overly excited about.

I have to agree with Huzer on this one... Dagenais wasnt even supposed to make this team basically signed to play in Hamilton and he has done quite well for himself. If anybody expected him to come up and light up the league they were sadly mistaken. I think he gives a good effort each and every night and its more than most players on this team.

:ghg:

Nice to see Tomáš Plekanec playing again, hopefully he will be also playing when Perreault is back.

By the way: check out his homepage, there are also some videos from his years in the Czech league. He also has a diary ... a really cool guy, hopefully he will stay with the HABS for a long time. :/)

http://www.plekanec.cz/

So half of the season is over and I'm surprised how good the team played so far. I thought we will battle for the 8th PO-spot, but to be in 6th place is really a surprise to me. :)

:ghg:

took a look at the season stats and huzzah! nice to see montreal with a positive goal differential. Same goes for the special teams. Right on. I was at the Boston game a couple of nights ago vs. the Leafs and I really feel that Montreal is playing better than the Bruins. Bodes well for playoff consideration.

Originally posted by Guy!

Komisarek: He didn't get much time out there and I think it's because the coaches were worried Jagr and Lang would make him look silly. I'm a little disappointed in that since this is the exact team (AHL-quality) where he would probably benefit from more playing time. However I understand that he's working very hard with Rick Green at the moment, and perhaps after he's moved over a hurdle or two in the video room he'll get that playing time. B-

Just out of mid-day boredom, I've been rereading some posts, and actually, there is a bigger reason why Komisarek isn't getting more ice time at the moment. Right now, he's playing his off-side, which is a lot to ask of any dman, let alone a rookie defenseman. It killed Robidas in Montreal, so they aren't going to shatter this guy's confidence by playing him too much right now.