Koivu Not Ready

zumpano21

As stated by this fella ( see link below) I want Koivu o take his time healing he is best when he p[lays 60 games a season anyways and he can then be ready for the playoffs... PLus the bright side is that w ecan play with the line ups and make room for the rooks (Thinking Chips) still why cant Johnson or Plek be juggled in! even tryout Ribs ....the best thing that could happen the begining of the season I say ... let Capt Saku rest!

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/talkbacks/212385/200123.html

That sounds good and I agree to a point. I worry that if the Habs take a wait and see approach or force saku back early that we will fall behind in the standings. We can't afford to fall behind or have a brutal loosing streak this year. I am all for giving Plekanec a shot at Saks spot but we need a back up plan in place now.

That sounds good and I agree to a point. I worry that if the Habs take a wait and see approach or force saku back early that we will fall behind in the standings. We can't afford to fall behind or have a brutal loosing streak this year. I am all for giving Plekanec a shot at Saks spot but we need a back up plan in place now.

My thoughts now too... back up plan I agree ... it does allow for experimentation with rooks... nevertheless all these rumors are not a guarantee a trade is in the making but Gainey must be now worried if the team has not what it takes to allow Koivu to sit back and heal like he should..

Suddenly I think the need for our big Centreman has reached the urgency level as that of getting us a Number 2 Dman.

I dont think Gainey will pull the trigger at any cost but if the opportunity comes and it is within reason then I am sure he will do so... which means the chances of a Chips or Kosty to move up are going to diminish substantialy ... unless players currently in our forward roster are implicated in adquiring this Back up plan C man!

Suddenly Im nervous!

actually for those that mention Daze yes it would be I guess a possible back up plan that could fit and not require any trade, also for that matter Allison and you name whatever one million dollar centreman you know of!

nevertheless Koivu is not going to retire he might just have to play with 80% vision for the rest of his career at most thats it! and hope no one flanks him on the left to cheapshot him!

I am now very interested in this ... I that have been looking for Dmen for weeks now!

Edited by CoRvInA

Can someone tell me..is it possible for periferal vision to come back... and possible for surgery...

Also watch this injury make koivu play like a demon and be amazing on the ice LMAO

Edited by koivu-11

I have a bad feeling that Koivu will announce his retirement some time during training camp....it fu*king makes me sick to my stomach every time I think about what that inbred hick Williams did to him....we'll probably lose our fearless captain because of that dirty a$$ son of a bit*h.....I'll swear to God...I'll curse that God damn douche bag for the rest of my days. :angry2:

Yes. Let's curse a guy for an accidental play that could have happened to anyone who has ever picked up a hockey stick. :wacko:

nevertheless Koivu is not going to retire he might just have to play with 80% vision for the rest of his career at most thats it! and hope no one flanks him on the left to cheapshot him!

If Koivu does not regain the peripheral in that eye, then there is no way he can continue playing center in the NHL. His game revolves around his excellent on-ice vision, his ability to pass the puck to the open man. If he can only see one winger, then he is no good to a team. If, and that is a big if, his peripheral vision does not return, his only chance is to move to the wing so the only thing he can't see is the boards.

Can someone tell me..is it possible for periferal vision to come back... and possible for surgery...

Who can say? The eye is one of the human body's most delicate organs. Most likely, it will return with time. If not, who knows what will happen. Not all eye injuries can be saved by surgery. In some cases, the surgery to repair the eye could be too risky. Just think what a tradgedy it would be if he tried a risky procedure to save the peripheral vision he ends ups losing the eye altogether.

I hope he will be fine, but eye injuries are very delicate. I remember an NFL player once missed over 2 seasons after an eye injury.

I can't for the life of me understand why people seem to be hesitant on Montreal signing Daze. It seems to be a risk free deal. The guy would most likely be making less money than any other player on the team, and lets be honest even if they get 15 games out of him he'll end up with more points than Bonk. This just seems like an obvious fit.

I think people are lumping Daze in with Lindros, this is a totally different situation. Back injuries and head injuries are like apples and oranges. With proper rehab and time back injuries can be 100% as opposed to head injuries where one nasty hit and you're back to square one.

This is a young guy who has the potential to be a top notch forward in the NHL, if we pass up on him, I have a feeling he will sign with another team and sometime during the season there will be a thread on here stating, "Why did BG pass on Daze".

I can't for the life of me understand why people seem to be hesitant on Montreal signing Daze. It seems to be a risk free deal. The guy would most likely be making less money than any other player on the team, and lets be honest even if they get 15 games out of him he'll end up with more points than Bonk. This just seems like an obvious fit.

I think people are lumping Daze in with Lindros, this is a totally different situation. Back injuries and head injuries are like apples and oranges. With proper rehab and time back injuries can be 100% as opposed to head injuries where one nasty hit and you're back to square one.

This is a young guy who has the potential to be a top notch forward in the NHL, if we pass up on him, I have a feeling he will sign with another team and sometime during the season there will be a thread on here stating, "Why did BG pass on Daze".

Daze isn't a Koivu replacement. He does not play center.

This young guy is already 31 and hasn't played in years.

Btw. Daze isn't a center, dunno if he ever played at this position in the NHL - he's a winger.

Daze isn't even Lindros ... at least Lindros had played more than than 30 games in his last two seaons ... Daze played 19 games in 03-04 and 1 game last season ... HE'S DONE ! no nhl team is going to sign a 6'6" player with a back worse than a 90 year old ... why do the habs need a player like this ? I feel bad for Daze because when he was healthy he was a 40 goal scorer ... but that was about 4-5 years ago.

if the habs have to replace saku ( hopefully not ) then I'd say Allison should be at the top of that list ... his only Knock is his speed but like Riberio he can work on that. he still put up 60 points in 66 games. plus he has size ( all though he doesn't use it enough ) he's probably fit well between Higgins and Ryder.

Allison!! Right, they ran him out of town in TO as a second-line C, so let's bring him here to replace our C and heart and soul guy. He can 'work on his speed' at age 32 or whatever it is! :lol::lol::lol:

Daze!!!! :lol::lol::lol: Why not bring back Donald Audette while we're at it? Right, a guy with a broken down back who basically hasn't played in 4 years, he's the saviour. We didn't sign Dumont, so let's run off and sign a winger who's about X10000 higher risk when we don't need wingers anyway. :lol::lol::lol:

Bob might try to ride out the Koivu injury in the short term by asking Ribs and Plecs and other players to step up. However, if Saks' eye doesn't look like it's getting anywhere by, say, mid-November, then signing useless and broken-down wrecks isn't the answer: a bold trade is.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I'd say Allison should be at the top of that list ... his only Knock is his speed but like Riberio he can work on that.

Work on his speed? The man is 31 years old and generally accepted to be one of the slowest guys in the league. I doubt he's going to suddenly find some extra burst. He was -18 last year (2nd lowest on the team) and while the Laffs were under .500 in games he played, they were 13-1-2 in the ones he missed.

Ribeiro, at age 26, may actually benefit from his power skating classes but even that isn't clear yet.

Here's a positive spin on Koivu's injury.

http://rds.ca/canadien/talkbacks/212385/200123.html

Basically, it goes on to say that the Habs might be better with Koivu not starting the season, being that other players get more ice time and can step up and prove themselves (specifically Johnson and Ribs). It mentions that Koivu playing at 80% might drag down the team, and if he returns to a team that has succeeded without him, they will be further aided by his return.

Work on his speed? The man is 31 years old and generally accepted to be one of the slowest guys in the league. I doubt he's going to suddenly find some extra burst. He was -18 last year (2nd lowest on the team) and while the Laffs were under .500 in games he played, they were 13-1-2 in the ones he missed.

Ribeiro, at age 26, may actually benefit from his power skating classes but even that isn't clear yet.

you are right about Allison not being the fastest and I do hope that Ribs did benifit from the power skating this summer. I also agree that a young Ribs can most def figure out a way to make the :P skating leasons work for him more then a 31 year old.

p.s. nice cat dude :)