Anyone Picked Up 07/2k7 Yet?

jetsniper

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can tell you in the PS2 that the analog sticks control everything as well. The regular buttons are only used for diving and hooking. It will be very hard to get used to. shooting and passing are used with the analog and the r1/r2 buttons.

Edited by Mr. Nasty

Perhaps the revolutionary controls will make it worth getting. I loving the very different controls of 04 that took a while to get used to, so I having a feeling if everyone else hates the 07 controls, I will like them. I'm still ticked the rosters went so unchanged, though, so I am still torn.

The game is good just played about 30 shootouts.

Controlling the shooting and deeking is prety difficult.

In games you have two choices with the analog sticks,

1- always up meaning that when shooting it does not matter if your team is going up or down the screen shoooting direction stays the same.

2- camrea control means that you shoot the way your players are facing to the goalie

Errrgh, the scratch needs to be itched. This is the first year in a long time that I didn't get the latest EA game the day it came out.

I still fondly remember when NHL 2004 came out. I'd started Grade 11 for 1, maybe 2 weeks and come home on a Friday. We got home a couple hours early on Fridays so I have an afternoon to myself. I boot up the computer and hit the usual video game sites. Lo and behold, EA has decided to release NHL 2004 a week early in Canada only. Very few moments come when you're that happy. Frantically, I phoned my friend and we drove up to EB (back then, the closest one was downtown. A good half hour drive. Now the closest is a 20 minute walk).

Anyyyyways...I shall pack up some Xbox games and my non-working copy of Madden 07 for the 360 and pick it up. Maybe pick up Madden 07 for the PS2 as well.

It was meh. Compared to the rest of it's generation at the time, it was good. 2000-2003 were all terrible. Then they took a large step backward with 2005 and inched a little bit forward with 2006. From the sounds of reviewers and gamers, they've taken a big leap with 2007.

I played a few games and overall like the game but have a few beefs that frustrate me.

What I like about the game:

The new controls...although they take a bit of getting used to they seem to be more easy flowing and "natural".

Roster management: there is a setting on the main menu that allows you to recall and demote players from/to the minors. You can do this a save the roster without having to open a season/dynasty. Guys like Kostitsyn (78 rating), Cote, Lapierre, Ferland etc can be added to your roster.

Surprisingly the roster ratings have changed a bit. Higgins is 82, Huet 87, Bouillion 82... Abby went down to 84; I forget the rest...but Komisarek is still low.

Online is still the same which I liked...and there was a pretty good showing for the first day (50 people online when I was playing) So far I have not come across cheesers because they still trying to figure out how to cheese., lol

Slashing was removed...this was abused quite a bit in 06 because you could injure players with it.

The line of Samsonov-Koivu-Kovalev is pretty good :P

My dislikes:

Penalties...holy crap are there ever a lot of penalties. I guess they wanted to match the new rules but it really messes up the game. The biggest problem is that the players you are not controlling are getting several penalties a game and you can't control it. Also, forget about hitting anyone without the puck...that's a penalty almost everytime.

Hitting stinks compared to last years version which some people may like but I was really good at it and now I can't use it effectively. The right analog does not make your defenders fly into guys anymore.

Defense - is much harder...at least until I get used to it. Hitting is more difficult and the lateral movement of the d-men is restricted. Poke check seems pretty effective but watch the penalties.

Old players - Dagenais, Sundstrom, Bulis etc are still on the team before editing...need I say more. Online rosters are up to date.

I will update more as I play more...I have not tried Dynasty, season etc. yet.

The hitting is not the same...yes it is still the triangle button but the analog does not move the d-men as quickly as 06 and hitting is much harder...IMO Plus the triangle"big hit" often gives you a penalty now. Maybe the functions are the same but it doesn't play the same way,

I forgot to mention that there also isn't any speedbursts.

Edited by Mr. Nasty

I figured out the hitting problem...."Bruise Control" was removed making the right analog not hit anymore.

Also I found the speed-burst but it is on L1 with passing at L2. This makes it a little awkward to use both and direct your player with the left analog. Since you can only use it selectively your guys do not get exhausted as quickly.

Now, I have to complain about one major problem with the game. Scoring, it requires no skill to score. Don't bother trying to deke anyone out of their pants or set-up one-timers (which don't work very often). Just shoot from absolutely anywhere and you have a better chance of scoring. Top-shelf from the top of the circle rarely misses. Anyone can beat anybody with this version so far. I was killing a penalty and shot the puck down the ice from behind my own net and it went top-shelf past the goalie without ever hitting the ice. The only good thing I like about this is that your-d-men score more often from the point.

The good news is there was 175 people online last night, you will never have to wait for an opponent.

Thanks for the tip about speed burst.

Is that for PS2 or X360 though?

I actually like the idea of no speed burst most of the time players skate pretty hard all shift and the further you push the left analog stick down the harder your plaer will pump his legs!

:wall:

Why on earth would they sign Clement and Thorne for only the 360 version? It makes no sense. I was really looking forward to some decent and new commentary.

Hell if I know. Someone can ask them why Michaels and Madden did commentary for the PS2 and Xbox version but not the 360 version at the same time.

Jim Hughson is really good but Craig Simpson annoys the hell out of me.

Hell if I know. Someone can ask them why Michaels and Madden did commentary for the PS2 and Xbox version but not the 360 version at the same time.

Jim Hughson is really good but Craig Simpson annoys the hell out of me.

Interesting. Who does the commentary on the 360 version of Madden? The ESPN crew from MNF?

Yeah, Hughson is decent but Simpson is crap. However, anyone is better than the idiot they had before him. Color commentators shouldn't be slapstick comedians like the guy before Simpson.

Interesting. Who does the commentary on the 360 version of Madden? The ESPN crew from MNF?

Yeah, Hughson is decent but Simpson is crap. However, anyone is better than the idiot they had before him. Color commentators shouldn't be slapstick comedians like the guy before Simpson.

No, it's just some anonymous guy that broadcasts it from the "radio". So when I play as the Jets, he says "Welcome to New York Jets radio!". It's just some random guy from the studio.

I remember that guy you were talking about. I think he started in 03 (worst EA game to date) and then they had him in 04 as well (not sure about that though). He really was annoying, just his presence made it an arcadey game.

do they still have the free-for-all thing?

cause i love that

I'm pretty sure they took Free 4 All out.

That was boring anyway, if you want minigames then the 2k series is the way to go. Theirs are awesome.

No, it's just some anonymous guy that broadcasts it from the "radio". So when I play as the Jets, he says "Welcome to New York Jets radio!". It's just some random guy from the studio.

Weird they'd dump Madden from his own game.

I remember that guy you were talking about. I think he started in 03 (worst EA game to date) and then they had him in 04 as well (not sure about that though). He really was annoying, just his presence made it an arcadey game.

Gotta love Wikipedia. In 2002 and 2003, color commentary was done by Don Taylor. They also have a quote board of some of his lamest comments:

Don Taylor: "He missed the net; man, that shouldn't even count as a shot!"

Jim Hughson: "It doesn't."

Don Taylor: "Oh. Good, then."

Don Taylor: "He brought the hammer down and nailed him!"

Jim Hughson: "I saw that carpentry analogy coming."

Don Taylor: "The goalie was in the basement, so he sent it upstairs." (referring to a shot that went into the top corner of the net)

Don Taylor: "Top shelf where you hide the cookies from the kids... sorry, kids."

Jim Hughson: "He missed! They're making the net smaller this year."

Jim Hughson: "Right upstairs, where Norman keeps his mother."

Don Taylor: "That hit made me lose my lunch! Sorry Jim, here's a towel."

Jim Hughson: "Belted and knocked down by (player name)!!

Don Taylor: "He hit that guy so hard it made him see stars. I guess you could call it a 'constellation prize'".

Don Taylor: "Ahhh, I spilled hot coffee on my legs."

Jim Hughson: "Ahhh, Those are my legs!"

Don Taylor: "Oh yah, Sorry."

Jim Hughson: "(team name), wins the race and beats out the icing call"

Don Taylor: "That was save-tacular!"

Jim Hughson: "Do you ever run out of those?"

Don Taylor: "No-tacular!"

Don Taylor: "My ouija board said that hit would happen. It also said my sofa would marry a goat."

Don Taylor: "He got off as much shot as two guys with half as much shot each!"

I'm pretty sure they took Free 4 All out.

Too bad. It was a fun enough little game if you only had a few minutes before going somewhere after playing an actual game.