Clarke Trying To Steal Kesler ?

House11

Sources tell TSN that the Philadelphia Flyers have signed Vancouver Canucks restricted free agent forward Ryan Kesler to an offer sheet. The deal would be worth $1.9 million for one season.

The Vancouver Canucks have seven days to match this offer, but if they choose to walk away for financial reasons, the compensation paid to the Canucks for the Flyers manouever will be a 2nd round draft pick.

In 82 games with the Canucks last season, the 22-year-old forward tallied ten goals, 13 assists and 79 penalty minutes.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=177269&hubname=nhl

Kesler's worth a second rounder - and The Canucks are screwed now. Either they overpay him at 1.9M or they say bye-bye.

Clarke's imaginative.

Edited by smon

Clarke will become enemy number one if this is true. There was something of a gentlemen's agreement about this kind of thing beforehand. I guess his ruthlessness comes through again. Kudos for having the cahunas to go for the player in a mildly underhanded manner, but I wonder how this will affect him in the long run. I would guess that, in particular Vancouver, many GM's will be somewhat more reluctant to listen to what he has to say.

Clarke has balls...and everyone will hate him.

The interesting part is...Kesler was rumoured being traded along with Naslund for Gagne and others to Philly. Could this be Clarke forcing this to happen?

Edited by Mr. Nasty

We CAN afford to match however I dunno if Nonis will.......... :puke:

Link

We will match apparently..... :wacko:

Clarke has balls...and everyone will hate him.

The interesting part is...Kesler was rumoured being traded along with Naslund for Gagne and others to Philly. Could this be Clarke forcing this to happen?

That's interesting..

I could see that happening. Forsberg-Naslund

Where's Sundstrom? lol

Apparently the Canucks matched it.

I want a trade to come out of this, something to talk about. This DiPietro crap is stupid.

Yep, we will match however we are kinda screwed on cap space now. :angry:

I hope Clarke gets what he has coming that ******........ :angry::angry::angry::angry:

Clarke should have known Canuck brass wouldn't let Kesler get away that easily. If I were a Vancouver fan I'd be furious if he did.

The free agent and trade ball is rolling. But, with camps set to open we should see more movement like we did today.

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

I've always liked Bobby Clarke.

Well, I haven't actually....but now I do.

I liked him. However, I'm furious right now. :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry: He has Umberger already and wants Kesler too.

There was no way Nonis was letting Kes go. I'm glad he didn't. However in the end I think we'll be fine. We won't be screwed like we were last year and we came out ok. I'm not really worried but of course, which Canuck fan wouldn't be mad right now...... :puke:

Eh...it's KINDA like when the Rags tried to steal Sakic from us in 99. Obviously we matched the offer (what moron wouldn't? It's Joe freaking Sakic) but that still turned me off towards the Rangers. They stole Fleury from us too that offseason, who played amazingly well with the Avs.

I know how you feel Stealth, but atleast you get to keep him, right?

Funny thing too was the Gagne denials by Gainey. He considers signing a RFA sheet is not classy and no way to do business. A gesture to Clarke. They are friends.

But then, Bobby tries something like this. You have to wonder if the attempt means Primeau is truly done?

After all, RFA offers can be considered desperate.

Is Clarke worried?

Eh...it's KINDA like when the Rags tried to steal Sakic from us in 99. Obviously we matched the offer (what moron wouldn't? It's Joe freaking Sakic) but that still turned me off towards the Rangers. They stole Fleury from us too that offseason, who played amazingly well with the Avs.

I know how you feel Stealth, but atleast you get to keep him, right?

Yep and Kesler is one of my favs so I'm pretty pleased if Nonis IS matching. He better play well this year however.... I can't wait to hear what Nonis has to say about it tomorrow.

Funny thing too was the Gagne denials by Gainey. He considers signing a RFA sheet is not classy and no way to do business. A gesture to Clarke. They are friends.

But then, Bobby tries something like this. You have to wonder if the attempt means Primeau is truly done?

After all, RFA offers can be considered desperate.

Is Clarke worried?

Primeau is done.........

Primeau To Retire

There was something of a gentlemen's agreement about this kind of thing beforehand.

But, that would be collusion. :o

After the Sakic and Fedorov offers, it seemed pretty obvious that teams were gonna match any offers for their top players, and those deals were not exactly legit, because a lot of the salary was up front. Fedorov's deal only paid him something like $1.5 million in his last year, which gave him UFA a year early becuase he was under the league average. But with deferred salary now a thing of the past, it's a more realistic offer. And the cap value vs. real value also plays into it. I think you'll see more offers to RFAs, particularly those who might only be a year away from UFA status.

I think what Clarke did is great. What's the point of being able to offer for other teams' RFAs if there is a gentleman's agreement to not do it?

I can't stand Bobby Clarke, but I applaud him for making this offer.

But, that would be collusion. :o

What he meant is that in the past, GMs kinda had a silent agreement not to offer on other teams' RFAs. Just look at how rarely it happens.

I think what Clarke did is great. What's the point of being able to offer for other teams' RFAs if there is a gentleman's agreement to not do it?

I can't stand Bobby Clarke, but I applaud him for making this offer.

I would to but of course I have my reasons. Anyways, do you have any idea what this could do if a player who scored 10 goals the previous season gets 1.9 million? That could really screw the balance and players could start to be even more overpaid....... :wacko:

I would to but of course I have my reasons. Anyways, do you have any idea what this could do if a player who scored 10 goals the previous season gets 1.9 million? That could really screw the balance and players could start to be even more overpaid....... :wacko:

Only reason I don't like it is that now Zherdev is even less likely to accept 2.3 mill a year.

I know exactly what he meant. It was sarcasm. That's what the :o was for.

That smiley indicates shock to me, as you were shocked that collusion was going on.