Alberta Removes Restriction And Approves "newfie" Licence Plate

Pierre the Great

Alberta removes restriction and approves "NEWFIE" licence plate

CP

EDMONTON (CP) - Someone in Alberta will soon be driving around with a specially ordered licence plate that reads "NEWFIE" - but it took an appeal to get the slang term for Newfoundlander approved.

Government spokesman Eoin Kenny says that for more than two decades, the term Newfie was on a list of restricted words that could not appear on licence plates.

Kenny says the word Newfie was once considered to be a derogatory term as thousands of Newfoundlanders streamed into Alberta, many taking jobs in the oilsands region.

But he says Newfie is now recognized more as a term of endearment or a term of familiarity, so it's been lifted from the restricted list.

Someone has already applied for "NEWFIE" after paying the required extra fee for a personalized licence plate.

Kenny says the director of motor vehicles still has the right to reject any request for a personalized plate for any reason, especially if the word is a profanity or ethnic slur.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/14092006/2/kodd...ence-plate.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think this is a mistake. Granted only one person most likely will have it, but in general by doing this you're telling the general public that calling someone a newfie is okay.

I think this is a mistake. Granted only one person most likely will have it, but in general by doing this you're telling the general public that calling someone a newfie is okay.

i've never heard a newfie complain about being called a newfie. in fact - generally, the refer to themselves as newfie's (my father, for example).

key to whether it is an insult or term of familiarity is the tone in which it is communicated. only the speaker can know for sure what he/she means by saying 'newfie'

newfie - as in - from Newfoundland

or

newfie - as in - stupid islander, why don't you take you and your stinkin' fish back where you came from

personally - cuz of my family connection to Newfoundland - i never used to think of it as an insult - until i heard it used in a way that showed it was clearly not always a term of endearment.

good move lifting the ban

half my family is from newfoundland... its not that big a deal...

Amen, simonus, amen!

:king: :hlogo: :king:

It sounds like "newfy" is a lot like the word "######." That word is fine when used by black people, but derogatory when used by other races. Sounds like newfy is almost the same way.

newfy isn't on the level of ######

i have a book - published in St.John's NFLD htat is a collection of Newfie Jokes. no way do i go down south to purchase a collection of ###### Jokes.

It sounds like "newfy" is a lot like the word "######." That word is fine when used by black people, but derogatory when used by other races. Sounds like newfy is almost the same way.

Exactly what I was going to say. If the guy has any newfy blood in him than it's 100% fine. If not, then it's up to how offended Newfoundlanders (is that the correct term?) get when you call them "newfies" - and that is something I have no idea about.

Exactly what I was going to say. If the guy has any newfy blood in him than it's 100% fine. If not, then it's up to how offended Newfoundlanders (is that the correct term?) get when you call them "newfies" - and that is something I have no idea about.

...What?

The two terms are nowhere near the same level. Newfies don't care at all, you're just talking to people who are INCREDIBLY uptight.

newfie is more like frenchie or dutchie.. just a nickname

Being the first person to post on this topic who is actually in Newfoundland, I can tell you that to many people here, Newfie is an insult, always will be an insult, and the word was coined to be an insult. It came from US servicemen who were stationed in Argentia pre-Confederation. It may be a term of endearment to tourists, but it's as likely to get a look of scorn as a laugh. It still sounds like we're being talked down to and considered second-class citizens, especially in our own province.

Personally, if it came from someone I knew and was friends with, it probably would not bother me as much as if it came from someone I was less familiar with. It would depend upon the situation.

I'll email Rex Murphy and see what he thinks about the word 'newfie'

I love Rex Murphy and his segments on the CBC news!

I would really like to know what he thinks of the issue.

Were I work in the summer there are about 5 or 6 people who are native of Newfoundland and have become close to be over the years so I would have to say that I have called them newfies and it is not seen as derogatory but in fact as a term of endearment.

On the other hand I believe without a shadow of a doubt that it can still be offensive. If I was not close to someone who was from Newfoundland I would not utter this word to them in general conversation.

I know several people from 'the Rock' and none of them are insulted by the term Newfie.....

Far too easy going to get uptight over something that trivial.

In fact they usually introduce themselves to someone as being a Newfie!

As for ###### - man that is just a despicable & revolting term that has its' roots in all the wrong reasons.

It is undoubtedly a derogatory and inflammatory comment that is only meant as an insult.

Edited by beliveau1