Pressure Is (totally) On Bob

alexstream

RDS announced earlier today that Derik Brassard has come to terms with the Columbus Blue Jackets to a 3 years deals worth 850k + the applicable bonuses.

I can already hear Michel "grande gueule" saying: Ben là, si Brassard est assez bon pour Columbus, jvois pas pourquoi Ti-Gui ne serait pas bon pour le Canadien.

B.G. is in hot water. If he doesn't sign Lats, he will have to provide really good reasons to the press... AND to Gui Gui Gui who will feel really lonely in Drummond.

Maybe it'd be good for Gui to go back and work for himself :D.

I don't know where there'd be good room for him... Carbo isn't happy with Perezhogin, so maybe that spot on the 3rd line will become available. Maybe they'll try playing him with Begin and Bonk as well?

I figure the only way he makes the cut would be on the following 2 lines:

Latendresse - Plekanec - Johnson

Latendresse - Bonk - Begin (Or Begin @ center, wtv)

I don't see brassard being a blue jacket this year. once he comes back from his injury, he'll be back in drmmondville playing with latendresse and making strides in the Q's playoffs.

All I can say to those that think we need to sign Lats is "wow, glad you don't run the team".

I am shocked that people believe we should bring a kid in, who is very likely not ready, and put him on the 3rd or 4th line.

Who in their right mind thinks its a good idea to take a good young prospect and stunt their development by giving them 10-12 minutes a night?

Who in their right mind wants to see the organization sign this kid and put him in the NHL only to see him owed a boatload of cash(assuming he does develop with such minimal time) by the time he's 25/26...because bringing him up now would make him a very young free agent.

The team needs to let him play the year out in junior and then next year he can play his FIRST pro season in the AHL with a late season call-up(assuming he's doing well). This way he gets 18-20 minutes a game and actually develops...

I am also getting the impression that many want him on board because he's a young Quebec kid...

Perezhogin, Higgins, Pleks, Kosty, and likely Grabovsky are all ahead of Lats right now IMHO...sure Latendresse may end up being the most valuable of all of them(MAYBE) but to rush a prospect from the QMJHL is DUMB.

Edited by Zowpeb

From everything I've herad, it sounds to me like Lats has motivation problems. He can play well some of the time, but other times he just can't get his head into the game. Sounds like another hit-or-miss player Montreal used to have: Stephane Richer.

Headcases we can do without.

Yeah, I'm with you on this. And there are enough solid offensive prospects ahead of him anyway, it's not like we're desperate to rush him in.

Bruins needed Bergeron in his rookie season much more than we need Latendresse right now.

.sure Latendresse may end up being the most valuable of all of them(MAYBE) but to rush a prospect from the QMJHL is DUMB.

is it better to rush them from the ohl ?? or the whl??

yes he's a local kid, yes he's french and yes HE'S A GREAT PLAYER. whos the last guy in montreal that had a nice hockey sense, size and a mean streak ??

the canadiens wont keep latendresse because he's french or because the media like him. he would stay because he would have beaten perezhogin and kostitsyn.

I dont see the sens or the leafs keep an ontario born player because of his roots so I don't see why montreal would do it with a quebec born player. please give gainey some credibility

From everything I've herad, it sounds to me like Lats has motivation problems. He can play well some of the time, but other times he just can't get his head into the game. Sounds like another hit-or-miss player Montreal used to have: Stephane Richer.

if I recall, richer is the last guy to score 50 goals for montreal and he did twice. I guess he wasn't that bad since we got kirk muller in return for him.

I don't know where there'd be good room for him... Carbo isn't happy with Perezhogin, so maybe that spot on the 3rd line will become available. Maybe they'll try playing him with Begin and Bonk as well?

Just incase you refering to this, from the other thread already about this very issue, let me just clarify that I am not saying he should be on the team and that playing the 3rd/4th line would be good for him. If he makes the team, those are the only 2 logical spots for him, which, in my mind, isn't worth losing the great ice time he can get in the Q.

Anyway, this thread should be merged with the other imo. :D

Just incase you refering to this, from the other thread already about this very issue, let me just clarify that I am not saying he should be on the team and that playing the 3rd/4th line would be good for him. If he makes the team, those are the only 2 logical spots for him, which, in my mind, isn't worth losing the great ice time he can get in the Q.

Anyway, this thread should be merged with the other imo. :D

I agree, and I'd add, whoever say the contrary has not seen Ti-Gui the kid in action.

I've seen 5-6 games of him vs NHL players up to now (including 4-5 games last season) on TV at la Cage aux sports... and he TOTALLY owns. He dominates and is one of the best player on the ice. He hits like a freight train his shot and skating has nothing to envy to half of the lineup.

Don't know why they'd sign Brassard, given he's out a couple months with an injury.

They did, and they said he'd likely start with the jackets when he'll be back.

well his problems were nothing to be seen on the ice in ANY preseason game I've watched up to now. I haven't miss one single shift of Gui since his first last season.

Anywhere manh!

He hits with the best of them, shoots with the best of them, skates with the average, dekes above the average...

He'd be better than Murray, Ferland on the 4th

He'd be better than Perez on the 3rd

It remains to be seen whether he could be better than Ryder on Saku's line...

They signed Brassard because his agent and Brassard were super pissed that the QJMHL didn't suspend the guy who injured Brassard.

In retaliation, the Brassard camp said that Brassard's time in Drummondville is over and that he'll be looking to sign with Columbus which he did.

As far as Lats goes, I think this is better that now he gets sent to the juniors. If he goes back to Drummondville, he will be the go to guy in the team in ALL scenarios. If he can't handle the pressure at the junior level, don't count on him in the NHL.

*laughs*

Let's play a game.

It's called over-hype the Habs prospect. There are those who seem really good at it! If Lats was really *that* good, don't you think he'd be in the NHL now? Don't you think Gainey, Carbo and the crew have a decent eye for talent? ;)

B.G. is in hot water. If he doesn't sign Lats, he will have to provide really good reasons to the press... AND to Gui Gui Gui who will feel really lonely in Drummond.

Whether he plays in Mtl or not this season, Latendresse needs to be signed.

Teams have until June 1st, two years after the draft year to sign a prospect or that prospect goes back into the draft. So I can go either way about playing him in Mtl this season, but I do want him signed.

Giving him a 10-day trial and then sending him back to the Q has 2 major drawbacks:

1- It brings Latendresse one year closer to arbirtration rights (and given the high decisions this summer, that isn't a marginal thing)

2- Brings Latendresse one year closer to UFA status, as it will count as a service year in the NHL.

Those are pretty big issues, even if he stays the entire year, for a player to play 12-15 minutes a game without that much valuable ice time.

is it better to rush them from the ohl ?? or the whl??

yes he's a local kid, yes he's french and yes HE'S A GREAT PLAYER. whos the last guy in montreal that had a nice hockey sense, size and a mean streak ??

the canadiens wont keep latendresse because he's french or because the media like him. he would stay because he would have beaten perezhogin and kostitsyn.

I dont see the sens or the leafs keep an ontario born player because of his roots so I don't see why montreal would do it with a quebec born player. please give gainey some credibility

IMHO you do not rush anyone from the CHL but the uber prospects like Crosby.

I never said the Canadiens would keep him. The fans are not the organization and I'm debating with fans. I'm stating my opinion on why I think it would be stupid to even consider it as many fans here are...I believe that many arguments for him staying are biased because he's a french kid and the fans are homers. Toronto/Ottawa fans are no different in that respect.

Guess what, there are probably at least 2-3 guys in our system that are higher rated prospects. Some of whom are even closer to warranting regular NHL duty. But most of what I read from fans is how Lats should be on the team...

From all reports I've read, and the games I've seen, the kid needs work on his skating, and needs to show he can play consistently for long minutes. He certainly shouldn't be doing this with limited time in the NHL...

Spezza is a prime example of a kid who spent time in the minors, worked on his game and is now a real superstar. He was/is also MUCH more talented then Lats.

If Spezza came up earlier like many wanted he wouldn't be as effective today AND he would've been a FA by now and Ottawa would've probably lost him, or be paying through the nose to keep him.

Spezza is a prime example of a kid who spent time in the minors, worked on his game and is now a real superstar. He was/is also MUCH more talented then Lats.

If Spezza came up earlier like many wanted he wouldn't be as effective today AND he would've been a FA by now and Ottawa would've probably lost him, or be paying through the nose to keep him.

*laughs*

Let's play a game.

It's called over-hype the Habs prospect. There are those who seem really good at it! If Lats was really *that* good, don't you think he'd be in the NHL now? Don't you think Gainey, Carbo and the crew have a decent eye for talent? ;)

You're right on the last part, they do have an eye for talent.

you're wrong on the rest, I do not overhype Lats, I give him the hype he deserves. From what I actually SAW with my EYES (and not hear Villeneuve say) He'd at least be in our TOP 5 pts producers. at least.

@ Huzer : his skating is 100 X better than that of Jason Ward :P

"The injury he suffered earlier this month is an obvious disappointment, but we look forward to Derick's return to the ice and his continued development in Drummondville this season," MacLean added.

I still don't see what Brassard signing in Columbus has to do with lats. Brassard was a top 10 pick, Gui was a 2nd rounder who has some obvious weaknesses, i.e. skating and consistency. Columbus is a young team building around youth. Montreal is an experienced team with room for only a few youngsters. The two situations are totally different.

That is one of the best examples you could have come up with. Couldn't agree more.

"The injury he suffered earlier this month is an obvious disappointment, but we look forward to Derick's return to the ice and his continued development in Drummondville this season," MacLean added.

:?- The RDS article said that he'd go to CBS when recovered.

:?- The RDS article said that he'd go to CBS when recovered.

That quote was from Yahoo. I'm thinking he'll likely get a 10 game trial, like Brule did last year. They'll try him out now, and if he isn't ready physically, back to juniors for him.

As for comparing Spezza to Lats, what's the point? Every player is different. Spezza was a guy with tons of potential who happened to take a long time to develop. Then there's a guy like Bergeron who slipped into the 2nd round, but made an immediately impact at the NHL level. Some players just aren't motivated in juniors, while others see it as an opportunity to improve. Some players will only hit their stride playing at the top level. You never know until you give a guy a chance.