Habs @ Thrashers - Jan. 14/04

jl.roberts

teamSide.jpg

In Goal Tonight...Pasi Nurminen vs. Jose Theodore.

Time: 7:30 ET

Date: Jan. 14/04

TV: RDS

Radio: CJAD 800, Post-game Team-990

Habs Photos

Player Stats

RDS.ca Lineup News

Preview

Probable Habs Lineup:

38 -- 11 -- 73

20 -- 71 -- 26

37 -- 90 -- 17

25 -- 94 -- 15

44 -- 05

51 -- 43

52 -- 08

Probable Scratches:

24 (knee - could return), 79 (hip), 22 (shoulder), 46 (concussion), 35 (healthy).

Key Matchup:

0198.gifvs. 2347.gif

Somebody STOP me.

Players to Watch:

28774_2.jpg

<B>#20 Richard Zednik</B> - Currently on a 28-goal pace.

28728_2.jpg

<B>#43 Patrice Brisebois</B> - Seaching for his first goal.

I was reading the Thrashers board at their official site today , and their fans sure are pissed :) , they want revenge on the habs for giving Marc Savard a concussion. I heard them talking about taking out Koivu , dressing all of their goons , etc...

Pretty funny stuff actually...

But... If I was the habs , I would keep an eye out for dirty-play from the Thrashers , Bob Hartley is known for it. Especially when a game is out of reach.

:ghg:

Edit : Btw , we win tonight and we put the Thrash 1 game under 500 , and take a 9 point lead on them ... And go 7 games over 500 ourselves and vault into 5th.... it doesnt need to be said , but ... this is a HUGE game.

[Edited on 2004-1-14 by puck7x]

After a poor start to the first the habs picked up their play and matched Atlanta's tempo as the period progressed... 0-0 After 1...

Habs looked a bit tired from playing 2 games in 2 nights...

Habs had a powerplay in the first , but it was pretty uneffective , the habs stopped moving their feet for some reason... We got another PP at the end of the 1st... so lets see how we do on it in the 2nd...

:hlogo::hlogo::hlogo:

Stay out of the box and play a simple game during the third period and we will get away with this one!

But a one goal game can change in a moment, so we have to be very careful! And for God's sake don't stop playing!

1-0 Habs after 2.

Shots : 20-18 for habs

The guy who alot of you dont want or appreaciate just keeps producing , Dagenais with his 9th goal of the year , and he has a 5 game point streak going...

Our PP has been awful! (Thrash have #1 home PK in NHL) , our PK though has been solid as usual...

Habs win 2-1...

Ribeiro with the winner on a awesome goal , well sort of a fluke/awesome :) ... made a nice outside move on Majesky , then shot puck towards net , somehow bounced into the net off some Thrashers...

I am glad we got out of the game with a win,... Got nervous at the end :) , winning both halfs of back to backs is really impressive :)

7 games over 500 , in 5th place now... wow...

Souray missed an empty net at the end of the game , hit the post from blueline... oh well , a win is all that matters.

There's not much to say really except HUGE win!

Believe med when I say I was pretty nervous after the Thrashers goal, but nice comeback by Ribeiro, who had a quite good game I guess. Nice to see him produce with concistency, and good to see Dagenais score again!

I notice Rivet didn't play much tonight but I guess he had a pretty strong game when he played. At least if you want to believe the stats. +2 for the night, he's slowly improving his +/- stats and it's nice to see.

I don't know much about Komi's game but he also finished the game at +2!

And Theo, he has to be an All-Star if he keeps this play up, don't you think?

Good Habs win, brutal scheduling but we won nonetheless.

Man how many 2 on 1s/breakaways has Ward had in the past 2 games? And he hasn't finished on any of them. Habs had two excellent breakaway chances to end the game but they decided to make it interesting.

A win is a win. We recovered nicely after a brutal start.

Originally posted by puck7x

1-0 Habs after 2.

Shots : 20-18 for habs

The guy who alot of you dont want or appreaciate just keeps producing , Dagenais with his 9th goal of the year , and he has a 5 game point streak going...

Our PP has been awful! (Thrash have #1 home PK in NHL) , our PK though has been solid as usual...

Yeah, but Dagenais played like crap tonight, right? ;)

(I even saw him throw a hit on the forecheck tonight.At first I though it was Kilger, until I saw the 26.)

I'm going to be quick with this one since I've been fighting my ISP all night and I'm sick to death of the computer. It's nice to see the Habs winning 6 of 7, though I worry about that third and how it opened up. That's not the kind of road game that Julien will like, instead causing him to down a bottle of Pepto as he watches things go horribly wrong everywhere but on the scoreboard.

There are times when the best players don't make the scoresheet or don't keep out the pucks, and this was one of those nights. In probably his best defensive game of his career, Koivu was stellar on the PK, which he played extensively, and equally good backchecking during regular play. And despite being held off the scoresheet, he made numerous players look silly, including Dafoe, and was dangerous much of the time.

~~

Notes:

Theo: 37-save performance. 'Nuff said. A

Bouillon: Solid strong game, though he had to eat a minus which wasn't his fault. B+

Rivet: The comeback continues; he's playing that smart simple game. B+

Komisarek: Hard to complain at a +2 performance, though I don't like that stat much. Then again, he played a simple game and did pretty well. B-

Brisebois: Back to the simple stuff that makes him successful. Love it. B+

Quintal: Almost 22 minutes for a guy people love to dislike. Played intelligently. B

Souray: No goalie in the net and he hits the post. Is this his decline? *winks* Excellent defensive game. A-

Langdon: "Please, play me a little more, I'm really not just a goon!" B

Kilger: No matter how he plays, I think he's on the way out. Didn't make anything happen tonight though. C-

Perreault: When I see him, I'm starting to think "Mullet" before anything else. Where was Pleks? D+

Sundstrom: The breakaway blues. Good game defensively. B

Ward: The breakaway blues, part 2. Good game defensively as well. B

Juneau: The wings on which he'd played recently seem to have been clipped. Then again, for a guy with an aching back, two games in two nights... B-

Zednik: Where were all the good plays from last game? C+

Dagenais: One goal where he stood in the slot and was hit and an invisibility cloak the rest of the game. C+

Ribeiro: Made something out of nothing on that goal, though it was equally made by Atlanta. Good, not great overall play. B

Bulis: When Sax gives you a pass in the crease, just hit it. Not his best game. B-

Ryder: No points, but he still did all the little things he has to do to succeed. B+

Koivu: No points, but great up front. Even better overall game. Perhaps following Souray's lead to the next level in terms of overall game. A-

~~

I'm going to point out again how I think Plekanec should have been given Perreault's spot. I think it's time to phase out Yannick the Great and work in a strong kid for some youthful exuberance. I mean, does anyone out there think Pleks would do worse in a fourth line role? Thought not.

Count the $$$ as the not-so-mighty Rag$ come to town on Saturday night. Then again, they are playing infinitely better than they have, and some have even accused them of starting to look like a team! (Damn them!) Sather seems to have actually figured out how to motivate these guys, so this will be anything but a walk. Taking advantage of chances and working that defense to distraction will be the key to a win.

A Concerned Fan.

I mean, does anyone out there think Pleks would do worse in a fourth line role? Thought not.

I do.

The team are doing great right now and there's no reason to make a change.

But we are not using all of our power.

Bulis - Koivu - Ryder

I don't know about this one. Ryders goals aren't assisted by Koivu, mainly.

And I think Zednik and Koivu is a better pair than Bulis and Koivu.

Dagenais is scoring goals. No need to move him. He has earned his spot on the second line. Let him have it. Ribeiro could be our first center but I think we should keep him along with Dagenais.

Perreault is the best face-off guy in the NHL.

He is one of our best players in the Power Play.

We should use him with a player that is defensive minded. Like Bulis or Sundström. That's what I think.