So Is Latendresse The Real Deal?

Pierre the Great

He seems to have all of the tools and in the QMJHL draft he was 2nd only to Sid the Kid.

I think Latendresse has to learn lesson number 1. That is, "you are nothing". Once he sheds his ego he should be OK IMO.

I wouldn't call him an "A" star but he's possibly an A- or a B+.

Just IMO

He seems to have all of the tools and in the QMJHL draft he was 2nd only to Sid the Kid.

I think Latendresse has to learn lesson number 1. That is, "you are nothing". Once he sheds his ego he should be OK IMO.

I wouldn't call him an "A" star but he's possibly an A- or a B+.

Just IMO

I agree. He has the talent and attributes to be what the Canadiens need. It's a matter of maturation and motivation.

It's interesting but, on hockeysfuture.com, he's rated a '7.5 C' which means he's halfway between a '7' ( players not quite good enough to play on the top line on a regular basis, but still possessing enough talent to contribute offensively - ie: Andrew Cassels & Jason Arnott) & an '8' (players with definite skill that might be just a cut below elite status, but still possessing All-Star potential - ie: Patrik Elias & Keith Tkachuk)

The 'C' means "may reach potential, could drop 2 ratings - has shown some flashes, but may ultimately not have what it takes to reach his potential." the drop would put him in the 5.5 range (third or fourth line forward).

All of this means, to me, that he's kind of a minor boom/bust player, minor not being that he'll have a minor impact but that, if he's a 'boom' player then he'll be like Athlétique Canadien said, a 'A- or a B+.' player. If he's a 'bust', he'll be a 'C' kind of player. He'll be valuable but replacable.

Of course, I hope for the former and, a high end in the former (A- Boom).

:king: :hlogo: :king:

what I saw at the bell centre was really positive. he made the play to his goal possible by checking two guys in the boards, he won the battle for the puck and then he wnet straight to the net for a little one timer. he laid his body everywhere he could. I didn't see a player with that package in a while in montreal. now, he's he ready?? probably not. time will tell.

Or a bunch of hype? It'd be awesome if he was the real thing. Its always good to have kids come up through the system instead of having to sign players.

He's the real thing.

HOWEVER, there is a tendency to OVERhype him in the french media. Although it's ridiculous, they are still right, he's the most ready and the best of all the prospects.

what I saw at the bell centre was really positive. he made the play to his goal possible by checking two guys in the boards, he won the battle for the puck and then he wnet straight to the net for a little one timer. he laid his body everywhere he could. I didn't see a player with that package in a while in montreal. now, he's he ready?? probably not. time will tell.

LOL, how could you be more contradictory??? You explain how he dominated 2-3 NHLers back to back to score his goal... but then say he's probably not ready?

anyhow... sorry to point you out, you're not alone thinking that... You're right in saying that time will tell.

He's the real thing.

HOWEVER, there is a tendency to OVERhype him in the french media. Although it's ridiculous, they are still right, he's the most ready and the best of all the prospects.

LOL, how could you be more contradictory??? You explain how he dominated 2-3 NHLers back to back to score his goal... but then say he's probably not ready?

anyhow... sorry to point you out, you're not alone thinking that... You're right in saying that time will tell.

Eck, not the french media hype again. Athletic Canadien said he has somewhat of an ego. Last thing the media needs to do is to put some giant label on him and put him on this pedestool.

Unfortuntaly he's exactly what the Habs need ( a power forward ) but I still don't think he's ready and the team is not ready to have him ... I think it would be pointless to have him play on the 3rd line or 4th line .. he needs to play a bunch of minutes ... still needs to develp his defensive game ... and lose that ego everyones talking about ( all though I don't know anything about that ) let him play in the Q, dominate that ... get on the WJC team , see how he does there ... then bring him to the AHL after his season in the Q is over ( if possible ) ... with Ribs, Ryder and Johnson's contracts up at the end of the year they should be room for Lats to take a top two lines position he'll be 20 and one more year developed and polished.

I also think Kotsy should play in the AHL one more year ... he needs ice time too and with him chips, aubin, agostini there ... the bulldogs should compete for a playoff spot this season and it would be good for Kotsy to be apart of that ... call him up if there are injuries or what not.

Unfortuntaly he's exactly what the Habs need ( a power forward ) but I still don't think he's ready and the team is not ready to have him ... I think it would be pointless to have him play on the 3rd line or 4th line .. he needs to play a bunch of minutes ... still needs to develp his defensive game ... and lose that ego everyones talking about ( all though I don't know anything about that ) let him play in the Q, dominate that ... get on the WJC team , see how he does there ... then bring him to the AHL after his season in the Q is over ( if possible ) ... with Ribs, Ryder and Johnson's contracts up at the end of the year they should be room for Lats to take a top two lines position he'll be 20 and one more year developed and polished.

I also think Kotsy should play in the AHL one more year ... he needs ice time too and with him chips, aubin, agostini there ... the bulldogs should compete for a playoff spot this season and it would be good for Kotsy to be apart of that ... call him up if there are injuries or what not.

Well put, I agree.

As for the Ego problem....where did this come from?

I know several people who have talked with him and none have ever said anything about an ego.

Ego can be good and bad. There's nothing wrong with ego and having guts to get the job done. The bad side of ego is, in your own mind you believe you are ordained. It's gotta be earned.

Latendresse must be a destroyer to get the call. He's playing tonight and I expect him to make some noise. I say two goals. You heard it here first.

And, after all it's the Blew and White. Latendresse should want to destroy :king:

:hlogo:

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

the way the media is making him look, he'll be a 50 goal guy and an MVP

The way he looks now, he could end up being a 35/35 guy who ends up top 20 in hitting

Basically an all-star ona slow year type of guy, but one of those players who is vital to the success of a team.

His talent, size and ability are obvious - what worries me most about this guy is the way he handled his return to the Junior's last year? Was it a lack of maturity, a problem with motivation or was it an ego problem....

I don't know him so I can't determine that answer - but it would concern me as a management team?

Especially in a province/city determined to lavish a level of adulation on him that isn't yet deserved. One has to wonder if that then becomes a problem that is just waiting to implode, or not?

Time will tell - but I believe he's far better served by a return to Junior than less than 10 minutes ice time, not to mention a year of his pro status wasted on that role!

Edited by beliveau1

I think it's pretty simple. I don't buy into the fact that gaining UFA status or arbitration a year sooner plays anything into deciding whether or not he makes the team. If the Habs braintrust feel that he can help the Habs win games, then he'll make the team. If they feel he isn't ready, he'll be back in juniors. I honestly think it's that simple.

I think it's pretty simple. I don't buy into the fact that gaining UFA status or arbitration a year sooner plays anything into deciding whether or not he makes the team. If the Habs braintrust feel that he can help the Habs win games, then he'll make the team. If they feel he isn't ready, he'll be back in juniors. I honestly think it's that simple.

In a nut shell - that's what I meant when I said he'll stay if he has a better than marginal role to play. But they won't waste a year of his NHL status on him playing a couple of minutes here and there, and sitting in the press box from time to time.

If that is the case, then the above becomes very applicable.

That aspect comes into play when a player will spend more time sitting than he is playing a regular a shift.

If not then he goes back to Juniors for several reasons including his NHL status.

I'd love to see him play up to the hype, but I'm still wondering if he's ready mentally for what is about to happen to him.....

Edited by beliveau1

Lats could be special!

He bangs and crashes like no one I have seen on the Habs in my life. He is young and vibrant and wants to do well. He has said he WANTS to make the Canadiens this year.

I hope he plays tomorrow!

Lats could be special!

He bangs and crashes like no one I have seen on the Habs in my life. He is young and vibrant and wants to do well. He has said he WANTS to make the Canadiens this year.

I hope he plays tomorrow!

I would assume you're a young whipper-snapper if you say he bangs like no other you've ever seen? :lol:

I don't see the pre-season games so can't say who I'd compare him too - but he will have to follow in the footsteps of a few good ones I've seen. Hopefully he'll live up to that potential as they need some size that has talent for a change - long time since I've seen both of those in a Habs jersey.

He may be special but lets remember guy lafleur didn't just up and become a great star, he spent his time waiting to get in and learning the big time. He matured. As did many others . We do not need an Daigle who was brought up too quick and never panned out. look at Spezza, smart on the part of the sens. Bob and Carbo will bring him up when he is ready, I do not think that will be this year, but who knows, with injuries etc it may happen

Edited by habs rule

it's not because that you do fine in one or few games that you're ready. thats what I wanted to point out.

Could be a Morrow type. Maybe similar to Arnott who we wanted so desperately over the summer (though not a center). I don't think he'll make it this year because we don't have that much room - his only chance is if we trade Perezhogin, IMO. But if he makes it or not, I don't really care but I'd be excited if he does.

If Lats turn into something of a Hartnell type, I'd be fully satisfied.

If he makes it, he'll have to first show he can cut down on penalties. That seems his problem now more than anything else.

Oh, and he has no ego as some mentionned. The spotlight's always on him; he's not looking for it but goes along with it. More the sign of a kid who is showing early signs of adaptation to the media circus than ego.

Hello Everyone,

It's Latendresse and I like to read every habs fans opinions in many forums such as RDS, Sportsnet and especially this one. Glad to see that most of you guys here have high hopes in me and since I'm gonna make the team, I will do my best not to dissapoint. I hope you guys stay positive though, I don't want to be another one of those Brisebois or Theodore cause like Brisebois, I can assure you guys that I like the city of Paris in France, such a beautiful city. I am definitely the real deal, have a great season :D...

Hello Everyone,

It's Latendresse and I like to read every habs fans opinions in many forums such as RDS, Sportsnet and especially this one. Glad to see that most of you guys here have high hopes in me and since I'm gonna make the team, I will do my best not to dissapoint. I hope you guys stay positive though, I don't want to be another one of those Brisebois or Theodore cause like Brisebois, I can assure you guys that I like the city of Paris in France, such a beautiful city. I am definitely the real deal, have a great season :D...

OK! It's pretty obious, I hope you guys didn't believe me :P...

Hello Everyone,

OK! It's pretty obious, I hope you guys didn't believe me :P...

Oh hey Gui, welcome to the board! Could you do us a favor and ask Bob Gainey to check in here with us too for some valuable advice on whom to trade for, for example I've got this great 4-way Dandenault for Pronger and Jagr deal that he wouldn't want to miss out on!

The problem I have with Lats is his foot speed, mobility and inconsistent levels of intensity. I see no need to rush him and think he will be a very solid NHLer if not even better. His strength looks to be very impressive for a young guy and he's got good hands.