Latendresse Might Just Make The Team

markierung

From the way he is being played during the pre-season, it looks as if Lats might just make the team.

If you look at when he goes on the ice compared to when Andrei Kosti goes on, it doesn't look good for the Belarussian.

Latendresse is on during every powerplay, Kosti hasn't even seen one yet.

Latendresse is getting double the total ice time.

Lats has played in more games

Carbo put him on as the 6th attacker when the game was on the line last night while Kosti was on the bench.

He has also played more games and has been in more pressure situations than Perezoghin and Garth Murray.

I think the evidence is pointing strongly in the direction that he is going to make the team.

Also, i don't think that spending the sesean on the third line will be detrimental at all. They didn't think it would be bad for Perezoghin or Plekanec. Plekanec did great on the third line and looks to have an even better year. Lats could also see some power play time banging in front of the net.

And to all those who say he doesn't create any chances for himselt "cough cough Pierre Mguire" i saw him get robbed at leat twice last night and play a hugely physical game. Since when is a rookie expected to carry his line on the ice?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Latendresse has a shot because the Habs need size at forward - specifically, a big body who will stand in front of the net and crash and bang a bit. IF Latendresse does that, then keeping him in Montreal would be reasonable. However, I have yet to see any real sign that this guy is close to becoming an offensive producer at this level. Were he to make the squad, I wouldn't be shocked to see him getting decent ice time including PP time if he can open up space for others, but I WOULD be surprised to see him get many goals.

I'm getting the impression that if Lats makes the team, it'll be partially "by forfeit" from the other prospects who didn't show up.

Granted there's still 4 more games to go, but at this point Latendresse has no competition from any other kids.

he's the only prospect that gets so many chances to shine.

lats with pleks and jonhson sounds great.

I still think that montreal can send him back to drummondville on the last day like they did last year

Too early to tell...

Last year, he played really well at the camp but didn't make the team. I still think he's being given a good look-at.

Probably Kostitsyn isn't being 'looked-at' as much, maybe, because he's got more of a 'lock' on the possibility for the position.

I don't know... we're all just speculating here.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Too early to tell...

Last year, he played really well at the camp but didn't make the team. I still think he's being given a good look-at.

Probably Kostitsyn isn't being 'looked-at' as much, maybe, because he's got more of a 'lock' on the possibility for the position.

I don't know... we're all just speculating here.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

I didn't think of that, you might be right

Watching the game last night and Lats deserves to make the team. I would even promote both he and Kost and demote Perezhogin or Downey. He is has been the given the chance to make this team by playing a ton of minutes...it is his position to lose. Unless Perzhogin really turn things around in the next 4 games then he could be moved. Chipchura has proved he is not ready yet. Dittos for O'Byrne and Benoit...they did not impress me at all last night.

I'd love for him to make it, (and not at all because of his French Canadian heritage or mine) but because he can play a style up front that we have lacked for a very long time. And his youthful inexperience would translate into, at least an interesting ride, or a productive and calculated gamble.

I say go for it, for all that it's worth!

Before preseason I would have said no, but he's the only one who seems to be standing out. (especially now that Grabovsky got injured)

I think he'll make it, and I'll be ecited when he does whether this year or next. Perezhogin could be on his way out. meh..

I hope he does make it!....Maybe he's just one of those guys who are actually ready to make the jump and it would be much more beneficial to his career by playing on the big team right now!....Not saying he's going to be as good but look at the way Bergeron ( a few years ago ), and Bernier last season on San Jose, jumped into the league with their respective teams. I mean the least they can do is give him a chance, and hopefully within the first couple of games he scores a few goals, his confidence sky rockets, and he breaks out to have a good year!...Who knows..

Go Habs Go :hlogo:

I'm getting the impression that if Lats makes the team, it'll be partially "by forfeit" from the other prospects who didn't show up.

Granted there's still 4 more games to go, but at this point Latendresse has no competition from any other kids.

Although I agree, I'd like to specify that he deserves it. He worked on his skating further more this year, he improved his defensive awareness AND seems to be more consistent and less impressionable.

When ever I think of this kid I think of a Lantern for some reason. And he's the watchman at a tower or a light house.

Oh well I rather have him up in the bigs instead of the minors because you gain more experience and learn more about things in the NHL then you do in the minors. Although speaking from experience in high school sports the minors are like the JV team where they care a lot about fundementals and the Varsity expects you to know the fundementals and only cares about winning.

I've seen Kosti on the PP.

I think sending Lats down to another year of junior would be a waste. I think he needs to be pushed and does better when he's playing at a higher level. The only advantage of going to junior would be to play at the World's. I think he would be better saying with the big club. I also think a trade might be looming for some non-producers who have to clear waivers in order to be sent down.

Dany Dubé (CKAC, TVA, french press #2 after Mathias Brunet IMO) said that in his opinion, Latendresse will start the season witht he Habs.

------------------

Guy Carbonneau said yesterday that Lats does EVERYTHING they're asking him to do.

Yep, it wouldn’t shock me if both Latendresse and Kostitsyn made the club. It also wouldn’t floor me if there is a trade to free up room for them. I don’t know what the trade would be but we are going to have cap trouble next year and that’s why I wouldn’t be surprised. The only question is who gets moved. I wonder how Bob is going to solve the 2008 cap.

How are the Habs going to have cap problems next year? They only have like 10 players under contract next year. Obviously the young players pleks, higgins, komi, lattendresse, either perez / kosty will be in for raises next year. Markov and Ryder have to be resigned for multi year deals. Rivet, Souray, Bonk, Downey, ribiero i beleive will all be moved or not resigned. That is like 9 mill off the books.

Back to the post, i hope Lats does make the team, they need someone to hit, and play in front of the net. I would actually put him with Kovalev, move samsonov with pleks and johnson. This spreads out the scoring.

How are the Habs going to have cap problems next year? They only have like 10 players under contract next year. Obviously the young players pleks, higgins, komi, lattendresse, either perez / kosty will be in for raises next year. Markov and Ryder have to be resigned for multi year deals. Rivet, Souray, Bonk, Downey, ribiero i beleive will all be moved or not resigned. That is like 9 mill off the books.

Back to the post, i hope Lats does make the team, they need someone to hit, and play in front of the net. I would actually put him with Kovalev, move samsonov with pleks and johnson. This spreads out the scoring.

There's no way Higgins keeps being so low and Markov is going to get a FAT FAT raise. Rivet is due. Plekanec is due.

Rivet and Souray out? Where's the D?

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN