Population Shifts Of Canada

Pierre the Great

Well, gas here is about 80 cents a litre at the moment which comes out to about 3.00/gallon. Obviously, a big discrepancy between the US and Canada. From what I remember, it's always been this way and I'm sure part of it is that taxes are higher here (no big surprise) and part of it probably has to do with lobbying groups which I assume to be more powerful in the States.

But on the other hand, we could be living in the UK where gas is almost 3 times as expensive.

The Foothills.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I had my way I'd tax the gas up to 5 bucks. Use the money to put into high speed trains and public transportation. But oh no that would never happen because people are addicted to internal combustion engine. Cars are for weekend getaways if you live in the cities. There is no point in owning a Suburban in suburbia. Gas hogs.

If I had my way I'd tax the gas up to 5 bucks. Use the money to put into high speed trains and public transportation. But oh no that would never happen because people are addicted to internal combustion engine. Cars are for weekend getaways if you live in the cities. There is no point in owning a Suburban in suburbia. Gas hogs.

I totally agree with getting people onto public transport, their bicycles etc. But even with gas at 5/gallon, I think you'd meet some resistance. People in North America need a philosophical boot to the head before they'll hand over their cars.

I totally agree with getting people onto public transport, their bicycles etc. But even with gas at 5/gallon, I think you'd meet some resistance. People in North America need a philosophical boot to the head before they'll hand over their cars.

Oh I disagree. It got up to 3 dollars here in rah rah midwest and waiting lists to buy the TOYOTA YARIS A 13K dollar car HAD A WAITING LINE OF 6 MONTHS!!! The yaris is not a hybrid. Lol the car companies didn't see this coming, to that I say they must have been smoking some BC Bud, because how could you not see this coming. lol. But now that gas prices have gone down just in time for the elections (interesting garuntee it will go right back up after the election) people are starting to buy bigger vehicles again. talking about hemi's again is in vouge again. Of course I live next to the biggest hummer dealership in the world.

http://www.lynchhummer.com/

I'm ashamed.

If I had my way I'd tax the gas up to 5 bucks. Use the money to put into high speed trains and public transportation.

thats a great plan for cities but what about the rural areas ??

thats a great plan for cities but what about the rural areas ??

There in lies the problem but here me out on this. Everyone down on the family farm drives trucks. Do they ever use the trucks like heavy lifting and stuff? No. There for show. Same goes with construction workers. Construction workers do not need to drive trucks!

Look at Europe. They downsized. The biggest 'truck' in Europe is a light truck with a diesel engine. Farmers don't drive Suburbans. They drive space wagons (Mazda 5), 5 passenger vans (Mazda 3, toyota matrix). If you live in the country and need an off road type of car get an AWD car. Its just common sense.

There in lies the problem but here me out on this. Everyone down on the family farm drives trucks. Do they ever use the trucks like heavy lifting and stuff? No. There for show. Same goes with construction workers. Construction workers do not need to drive trucks!

Look at Europe. They downsized. The biggest 'truck' in Europe is a light truck with a diesel engine. Farmers don't drive Suburbans. They drive space wagons (Mazda 5), 5 passenger vans (Mazda 3, toyota matrix). If you live in the country and need an off road type of car get an AWD car. Its just common sense.

I hear you. alot of people are attached to their good old american pick-ups and the last thing they would is to drive a smaller car, let alone a japanese car. I guess the macho culture is a bit stronger in rural areas and some feilds of work then in a city.

Okay you say its relatively cheap. Well why then am I paying right now 1.98 USD per gallon here in Missouri.

1 Gallon = 3.79 litres and what is the price at the pump in Canada? 1.00?

So thats almost 4 dollars a gallon. 4 DOLLARS A GALLON!!!

Now how come me in Missouri is paying less at the pump then you in Canada when YOU in Canada have all the oil and me in the USA have diddlie? hmm I thought so....

Just to clarify a slight discrepancy.... the Canadian gallon is based on British system, the Imperial gallon, which means a true gallon here is 4.54 litres as compared to the U.S. measurement of 3.79 litres/gallon.

I hear you. alot of people are attached to their good old american pick-ups and the last thing they would is to drive a smaller car, let alone a japanese car. I guess the macho culture is a bit stronger in rural areas and some feilds of work then in a city.

That whole thing buy american is changing in the cities when if you buy a crappy american vehicle and look under the hood it will say Made in China. lol. I'll get the biggest laugh ever if I see a buy american vehicle sticker on a Chevy Equinox. The engine is from China, the trans is from Japan, the chasis is from China and its all assembled in Canada. LOL!!!

My generation doesn't car about where the car comes from because they aren't racist in thinking. The only people you'll get like that are rural folk. My parents generation is different though because they grew up with my grandparents generation. So a lot of families would get "They bombed Pearl Harbour" reaction. And then it goes by political lines as well. Mostly conservative country people are still the narrow minded.

We'll see if the bonds are broken when the new Tundra comes out next year. The family down on the farm is already pissed that a lot of people around them drive Tacomas and Titans.

The engine is from China, the trans is from Japan, the chasis is from China and its all assembled in Canada. LOL!!!

and when you want to complain, you call in India :lol:

hello my name is...err. mark, yeah that's it Mark...can I help you honorable customer. may I interest you into buying an extended warranty??