Population Shifts Of Canada

Pierre the Great

How do you know they're from Saskatchewan?

Do they wear I'm from the 'Wan' t-shirts?

Or I was bad at math so I moved to Saskatchewan because its easy to draw?

:lol:

Just from talking to people in the city, most people are from Saskatchewan, grew up on the farms and came here to make money. Most of the people I know grew up on a farm in Saskatchewan and then moved here, now making millions in the oil industry. Mostly my dads boss/friend and my uncle.

Then just going to Riders games, they outnumber us Calgary fans. And they still all have their Saskatchewan plates on their cars, which you see A LOT of driving around the city.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL!

So unclean. lol!

I just think selling bottled water is wrong. Its water. We need water to live.

Unclean? huh? :blink:

I guess you need to see what our drinking fountains looked like. The school in general was pretty ghetto though (well, as ghetto as you can get in Calgary :lol: ). The janitors were lazy too. I remember one time in Grade 11, about 2 weeks before christmas break we're walking through the halls at lunch. We turn down the science hallway and I find a PB and J sandwich just sitting there. So, like any immature 16 year old, I whip the sandwich at the wall and it sticks (of course). Explosion of jam through the mushy bread around the sandwich. So this sandwich stays stuck to the wall for the 2 weeks remaining before christmas break. We come back AFTER christmas and the sandiwich is gone but the jam explosion is still there. The jam wasn't gone until we came back for Grade 12.

I remember in grade 8( secondaire 2) we used to throw papier-maché ball all over the class. some of them stayed there for at least a whole year.

it's as bad as jam but it still shows alot about how clean the classes were

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/27092006/3/cana...s-statscan.html

Not suprised. I for one am a fan of Vancouver.

this shift is no huge news.

the west is an area of growing opportunity. Québec, I do believe, will suffer due to it's language laws. Also, there is a definite Californialization of Canada. The west is not only an area of opportunity but is perceived as being so which leads to the fulfillment of that perception into reality.

One musn't discount the economic growth of Alberta. The only problem with Alberta is the boom/bust nature of an oil-based resource economy. Agriculture and the related 'industry', by itself won't hold things up.

Historically also, the shift of 'power' has been going west. It was, in the beginning and, of necessity, in the Maritime provinces. Later, it moved to the 'Canadas' (upper & lower = Ontario & Québec) with lower Canada (Québec) being more focal. Ontario gradually took over from Québec and now, it's shifting out west.

Interestingly, it could shift back east also unless the west diversifies sufficiently to be able to ride the highs & lows of resource-based economies.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Quebec took an awful beating in the 80's when the insurance companies pulled out.

I remember that it had a definite impact on the economy - certainly benifitted our region as they basically shifted their employees & corporate operations/headquarters into our area.

Remember distinctly that I heard little French spoken here when I first arrived, and few French names in the phone book. We were the only family with our particular French last name in the late 70's & early 80's - now there's a ton of them listed.....

By the latter part of the 80's there was a significant rise in both thanks to the first referendum and the business changes that resulted from that period of time!

Yeah very true Shortcat Alberta and BC haven't seen really bad times. Oil is oil and the only reason why Alberta is booming is because its oil is $$$ processing the oil sands into oil takes a lot of $$$$.

BC is all about tourism and tech jobs and logging but that will go the way of the dinosaur.

Ohhhh....not so fast PTG. Your personal hero set Alberta back 20 years as he left office with the National Energy Program. It capped the price at which Canadian oil could be sold and absolutely devastated Alberta. People here were losing their jobs left, right and centre. They were walking away from their homes and mortgages and moving to wherever they could find work. It stole billions in Alberta's natural wealth. And he basically did it so that Ontario and Quebec would remain the powerhouse in the Canadian economy.

Mention the name Trudeau around anyone who lived in Calgary at that point in time and you're bound to get an awful reaction.

Ohhhh....not so fast PTG. Your personal hero set Alberta back 20 years as he left office with the National Energy Program. It capped the price at which Canadian oil could be sold and absolutely devastated Alberta. People here were losing their jobs left, right and centre. They were walking away from their homes and mortgages and moving to wherever they could find work. It stole billions in Alberta's natural wealth. And he basically did it so that Ontario and Quebec would remain the powerhouse in the Canadian economy.

Mention the name Trudeau around anyone who lived in Calgary at that point in time and you're bound to get an awful reaction.

Dare anyone to mention the name Ralph Klein in this part of the woods and see what kind of reaction they get?

Perspective is in the eye of the beholder......

From my reading he started to dismantle the program the instant he created it. No? I seem to remember him in the eighties already selling off parts of Petro Canada. So thats much ado about nothing in my book. Why Albertans would be upset over that is goofy. That was eons ago. You're acting like Washington does with Castro. Washington still thinks Cuba is a threat to america. lol

Dare anyone to mention the name Ralph Klein in this part of the woods and see what kind of reaction they get?

Perspective is in the eye of the beholder......

As far as I know, Ralph never did anything to harm the welfare or quality of life of for Ontarians.

You may not like him, I don't even like him, but I think we're comparing apples and oranges.

From my reading he started to dismantle the program the instant he created it. No? I seem to remember him in the eighties already selling off parts of Petro Canada. So thats much ado about nothing in my book. Why Albertans would be upset over that is goofy. That was eons ago. You're acting like Washington does with Castro. Washington still thinks Cuba is a threat to america. lol

Nope, Mulroney took the program apart.

The Alberta Premier at the time, Peter Lougheed, fought Trudeau's program tooth and nail and forever endeared himself to Albertans.

As far as I know, Ralph never did anything to harm the welfare or quality of life of for Ontarians.

You may not like him, I don't even like him, but I think we're comparing apples and oranges.

Trust me his image is lousy out here - right or wrong a lot of blame here is levelled on him for gas prices.

Right or wrong the perspectivemany here hold is that we're paying through the nose for gas here when there are record profits for Alberta's oil companies.

So it isn't comparing apples to oranges.

We think we're getting screwed by Ralph and Alberta thought the same of Pierre. Two distinct areas with a similar contempt for different politicians - ever see the cartoons here or listen to the comics & editorials - King Ralph is not popular here. Just like Trudeau was in Alberta many years ago.

And I'm not referring to myself - I'm talking about a general image that most in Ontario have of him.

he's genarally disliked out here......

He's laughed at down here because we see him a lap dog. A lot of Washington pundits laughed at him when Alberta came to the smithsonian. A lot of people here (since they don't know where Alberta is) if you tell them all about Alberta and what the politicians say there, they will laugh. Basically because of Ralph, Alberta and Canada is being used by america. Don't think so? Look at history. History shows that Canada will come to America's aid but America will not come to its aid.

Jeez, guys... all I was saying was that it hasn't always been rosy for Alberta. I was just trying to dissuade a popular belief that's not entirely true.

But since you brought it up....

Why should I care about oil? Well, first off I'm not sure that I do really care for the industry. Living in Cowtown, I see the Porsches, the Mercedes', the Ferraris driving in my hood everyday. And they're all driven by talentless business hacks who try to give you the impression that it takes actual talent to sell something that pops out of the ground and sells for 70+US/barrel. It's a little maddening at times.

But on the other hand, oil pays for a lot of trickle down benefits. As a doctor, I can say that Alberta has much better healthcare than Quebec, the Maritime provinces, Ontario and probably the rest of the country as a whole. That's simply because the tax revenue from the oil industry is massive, absolutely massive, and the population as a whole benefits. It's also paying for the massive infrastructure that Alberta is creating right now.

As for closing hospitals, don't get me started. For this, King Ralph is public **** #1 in my mind. This city has only 3 hospitals for a million people and we're extremely busy and I'm usually up all night when on call. The 4th is being constructed but is way overdue.

As for high oil prices.... I don't think anyone can attribute this to one individual. To do so would be very conspiratorial. Look around the world, gas prices in Canada are relatively cheap.

I'm still pissed off they tore down the General back in 99.

Wheres the new one being built zumpano? I haven't read anything about it.

Off the Deerfoot, just south of McKenzie Town. It will open as a clinic in 2009 and gradually expand thereafter.

As for high oil prices.... I don't think anyone can attribute this to one individual. To do so would be very conspiratorial. Look around the world, gas prices in Canada are relatively cheap.

Okay you say its relatively cheap. Well why then am I paying right now 1.98 USD per gallon here in Missouri.

1 Gallon = 3.79 litres and what is the price at the pump in Canada? 1.00?

So thats almost 4 dollars a gallon. 4 DOLLARS A GALLON!!!

Now how come me in Missouri is paying less at the pump then you in Canada when YOU in Canada have all the oil and me in the USA have diddlie? hmm I thought so....

Edited by Pierre the Great

Off the Deerfoot, just south of McKenzie Town. It will open as a clinic in 2009 and gradually expand thereafter.

Oh, sweet. You're right though, long overdue.

btw, what hospital do you work at? My sister is a nurse so I'm just wondering if you guys work in the same place.