Columbus Re-signs Zherdev

jetsniper

Wow That's huge! Great news for NHL fans. No calihabs, it's kind of a surprise that Zherdev finally signs. It wasn't looking good in the negociations and it was looking like he was gone for good. And especially after the trade for Carter and the contract they gave him. Now let see if the BJ will keep him or trade him. The negociations weren't pretty.. I don't know if they can smell each others now. The TSN article give us the impression he'll play with the BJ, though.

So finally Columbus got him at their offering price .. They reportedly offered 2.3M a while ago. 7M for 3 years.. looks like around that, 2.3-2.4 per year

Columbus have a nice young team

Alot of the Russian players pull this crap ... Kovalchuk did it last year ... say they're going to play in Russia if they're demands are not met .. then sign at the last minute when the team calls they're bluff ... or the team caves ... so him signing so late doesn't suprise me.

Thank goodness they finally signed him. Being in Columbus, I can tell you first hand that negotiations were not going well. Both sides seemed very prepared to stand pat with their final offers, and with the Carter signing, MacLean clearly didn't hold out much hope.

MacLeans last "final" offer was 6.9 million over three years, while Zherdev wanted a few more hundred thousand a year. Looks like they final met somewhere in the middle.

Huge for the Jackets, they are now a legitimate playoff team. Though, Foote and Beard are both injured as of now, so that isn't good. At least Nash is healthy!

Foote, Berard.. and Fedorov :[

I'm not too worried about Fedorov. Brule and Malhotra are at least as good as Fedorov and Hrdina, mainly because Hrdina is worthless. They have good enough players to fill in at forward, while on D, they aren't quite as deep. Some young guys, mainly Johnson and Tollefson, will likely get to see some decent minutes on the blueline. At least with Foote, it appears he'll be ready for opening night. Berard, however, may have had a relapse with his back injury.

No suprise there ... although I wonder how long it will take for him to get hurt because he missed training camp.

He already had a training camp. He was playing in Russia b4 the contract was finalized and left on an out clause. H e had his training camp over there. He's probably in better playing shape then most guys on his team.

good for jackets fans.

hey fanpuck. how's ronnie hainsey doing ??

Ron Hainsey is an absolute gift from you guys to us, so thank you :). I actually thought he was our best defenceman by the end of last year - Foote and Berard struggled - and he was given more responsibility as the year went on. By the end of this year, I could see him in the top pairing, or at least top 4. And, we have limited defensive depth, so he's easily made top 6.

I saw him live in a preseason game (vs. Buffalo) and he looked fast and sharp again.

Welcome to the boards, AlienLanes. Good to have another Jackets fan around. (Don't woory Habs fans, the Canadiens are still the top on my my list.) I'd agree with most of what you said. Hainsey definitely was one of the Jackets most consistent D-men last season, along with Duvie Westcott. Berard has never been known for his defence and Foote was plagued with a number of injuries that kept him from playing at 100%. Ron ended last season at +13, leading the team.

It seemed like last year he concentrated very much on the defensive side of his game. Though, now that I think about it, he did have the occasional end-to-end rush, With a full season of the NHL under his belt, I'm hoping for the Jackets that his offensive game will return a little this season, to augment his solid defensive play from a year ago.

i think columbus finally has a team to be afraid of now

With Foot, Berard, and maybe Hainsey if he keeps playing this way, they finally have a half decent defence

With the addition of Carter, the re-signing of Zherdev, nad having Nash start the season healthy, they now have an offence to be afraid of,

Especially if Fedorov wakes up