Some Postings That Make Me Say: I'm So Very Puzzled....

beliveau1

Ok - time and again I read posts that say Bob Gainey is going to get a #2-3 defenceman, and then there are some that say he's after a top flight centreman, and all the while they expect them to keep Latendresse around?

I have to admit that I'm really puzzled by all these suggestions and rumours? In the end I keep wondering who they're going to get if such a deal can be made? So can someone please suggest just what team is willing to part with a top flight defenceman for what the Habs currently have to offer...... and just who might be made available?

And if they are going to land a top level centre - who? And how does that allow them to keep Latendresse at the NHL level?

I don't live in fantasy land and I'm a realistic long time diehard Habs fan - but I just don't see this happening.

I'd love Gainey to pull a Sam Pollock style ripoff, but how?

Please tell me somebody - and I'm asking for reality not some ridiculous NHL 2006 style options!

p.s. not so much about Latendresse unless they deal at the forward position

Edited by beliveau1

Ok - time and again I read posts that say Bob Gainey is going to get a #2-3 defenceman, and then there are some that say he's after a top flight centreman, and all the while they expect them to keep Latendresse around?

I have to admit that I'm really puzzled by all these suggestions and rumours? In the end I keep wondering who they're going to get if such a deal can be made? So can someone please suggest just what team is willing to part with a top flight defenceman for what the Habs currently have to offer...... and just who might be made available?

And if they are going to land a top level centre - who? And how does that allow them to keep Latendresse at the NHL level?

I don't live in fantasy land and I'm a realistic long time diehard Habs fan - but I just don't see this happening.

I'd love Gainey to pull a Sam Pollock style ripoff, but how?

Please tell me somebody - and I'm asking for reality not some ridiculous NHL 2006 style options!

p.s. not so much about latendresse unless they deal at the forward position

You would have to be Bob Gainey to answer this post.

I understand where your comming from but if a team wants something from us (or us from them) any deal CANNOT include Price, Higgins, Kostitsyn or Latendresse.

It sounds like alot to ask, but maybe that is the reason a deal has not been made; and rightly so.

I don't know who Gainey is willing to part with but it is the belief that he is not willing to trade young players...which is what most teams are looking for as well.

D-men that are "believed" being shopped are:

Bos - Stuart

Dal - Niinimaa

NJ - Rafalski...only because NJ has to get below the cap

Pho - Morris

NYR - Roszival

Centremen "believed" being shopped are:

SJ - Marleau

Buf - Briere

Van - Morrisson

NJ - Gomez

Mon - Ribeiro :rolleyes:

I say believed because GM's are not going to tell us.

You would have to be Bob Gainey to answer this post.

I understand where your comming from but if a team wants something from us (or us from them) any deal CANNOT include Price, Higgins, Kostitsyn or Latendresse.

It sounds like alot to ask, but maybe that is the reason a deal has not been made; and rightly so.

I'm not so much coming at from any particular angle, as I am wondering why people think it's going to be so easy to deal for a top defenceman or forward. There are all kinds of suggestions floated here that Habs will get one when they're just not that readily available. Realistically - if you are a GM and you have a top 2/3 defenceman are you going to trade him for a forward that isn't a top 2 on a middle of the pack team?

That's why I'm so puzzled when people make suggestions that don't make any sense......

So the jist of my post was basically asking who people really think the Habs are going to acquire given what they really have to offer?

And I agree - they cannot afford to deal some of their best young forward prospects, or a goalie with Price's potential for what people claim they need.

The deal has to make sense for both teams - the Pollock highway robbery days are long gone!

And I think there is no deal to be made that won't hurt the habs's more than one that helps in the long run.....

p.s. wouldn't you have loved to see Pollock fleecing Garth Snow :rolleyes::wacko::P

A trade to acquire Gomez for a Perezhogin package shouldn't be too difficult for NJ to accept. The question is how to make NJ dump enough salary without us going over the cap. But I think if Gainey was considering this he wouldn't have spent 500K on Traverse when our capspace is already limited.

Though I don't think we need a #1 center anyway...

or a top pairing D, but a second pairing would be nice.

A trade to acquire Gomez for a Perezhogin package shouldn't be too difficult for NJ to accept. The question is how to make NJ dump enough salary without us going over the cap. But I think if Gainey was considering this he wouldn't have spent 500K on Traverse when our capspace is already limited.

If the Habs pick up either Gomez or Rafalski it is going to be almost impossible to keep Latendresse.....

They have some hefty salaries that need to be fit in, and the Habs won't be able to carry any more bodies or salary than necessary. And Lou isn't looking for million dollar plus contracts in return for them - prospects and choices will most likely grab the prize in this fire sale.

Lou's in a pickle but he isn't stupid?

Edited by beliveau1

I don't know who Gainey is willing to part with but it is the belief that he is not willing to trade young players...which is what most teams are looking for as well.

D-men that are "believed" being shopped are:

Bos - Stuart

Dal - Niinimaa

NJ - Rafalski...only because NJ has to get below the cap

Pho - Morris

NYR - Roszival

Centremen "believed" being shopped are:

SJ - Marleau

Buf - Briere

Van - Morrisson

NJ - Gomez

Mon - Ribeiro :rolleyes:

I say believed because GM's are not going to tell us.

interesting, and everyone could come up with his own list, but I'd be curuious to know the reason you put Morris and Stuart on that list...

Derek Morris' name came up in summer rumours I seem to recall.

Getting that D for a player/prospect/pick (think of a trade) will be easier come deadline than now. The Kovalev acquisition is a good example. Gainey might be considering a deadline deal to get a good D veteran. Probably via a salary dump by a nonplayoff team.

Making the deal now would be tricky. I'm sure he's always trying though :lol:

The only way for this to happen would be to involve a third team to eat some salary.

Example : Washington or someone with a bunch of cap room and needs players

To Mtl : Gomez

To NJ : Perezhogin , Mtl 2nd, Wash. 2nd

To Wash : Riberio, Ferland ( or something like that )

I know this isn't the greatest trade ... just wanted to show and example.

If the Habs pick up either Gomez or Rafalski it is going to be almost impossible to keep Latendresse.....

They have some hefty salaries that need to be fit in, and the Habs won't be able to carry any more bodies or salary than necessary. And Lou isn't looking for million dollar plus contracts in return for them - prospects and choices will most likely grab the prize in this fire sale.

Lou's in a pickle but he isn't stupid?

Which is why I said Perezhogin. He's still got potential to hit the first line and after only one season his trade value hasn't dropped yet. Throw in a couple of picks and it oculd be fair value. Especially considering how Lou's got a gun to his head.

Which is why I said Perezhogin. He's still got potential to hit the first line and after only one season his trade value hasn't dropped yet. Throw in a couple of picks and it oculd be fair value. Especially considering how Lou's got a gun to his head.

hThe Habs have to lose a bit more salary for that to work, or they'll be too close to the cap for any real wiggle room at the deadline. Personally I can't see the habs's sending Perezhogin packing - who knows though?

Edited by beliveau1

I'm not so much coming at from any particular angle, as I am wondering why people think it's going to be so easy to deal for a top defenceman or forward. There are all kinds of suggestions floated here that Habs will get one when they're just not that readily available. Realistically - if you are a GM and you have a top 2/3 defenceman are you going to trade him for a forward that isn't a top 2 on a middle of the pack team?

That's why I'm so puzzled when people make suggestions that don't make any sense......

So the jist of my post was basically asking who people really think the Habs are going to acquire given what they really have to offer?

Blame EA. People have become so used to making video game trades, they just think all you have to do is make the offer and the other guy will have no choice but to accept.

The only way for this to happen would be to involve a third team to eat some salary.

Example : Washington or someone with a bunch of cap room and needs players

To Mtl : Gomez

To NJ : Perezhogin , Mtl 2nd, Wash. 2nd

To Wash : Riberio, Ferland ( or something like that )

I know this isn't the greatest trade ... just wanted to show and example.

Ribeiro and Ferland to Wash for a 2nd rounder?

interesting, and everyone could come up with his own list, but I'd be curuious to know the reason you put Morris and Stuart on that list...

There were/are many rumours going around with Stuart since the market is so high on d-men. Boston is likely testing the market since acquiring bothh Mara and Chara for the PP.

Pretty much the same in Phoenix with Morris...just what I hear in rumours. He will have to share his ice-time with Jovanovski, Boynton and most importantly Ballard who is ready for a bigger role.

If teams can shore up a greater need then these two guys may be expendable.

Blame EA. People have become so used to making video game trades, they just think all you have to do is make the offer and the other guy will have no choice but to accept.

That's precisely what I'm getting at in my original post - none of these are realistic and still based on unfounded rumours. And what kills me is the fact they are one's being circulated by sources that almost everyone here takes great glee in crucifying on a regular basis? As for the suggestions so far - still rumoured to be available and still I'd thingk they are not all that realistic as far as an NHL manager goes?

Just like the Theo for Abby trade last year, that one is just not believable and will not happen.

Anything can happen in a cap world, just look at the NBA and you can get an idea of how teams give up on players. Montreal has ASSETS in the forward position that would be attractive for teams that have the equivalent in defensive prospects. I don't think there is a Pronger or Blake available, however there should be some talent available at a cost. Just what BG is willing to pay is the question. If BG makes no moves and wants to wait for guys to heal, then that is what we are going to have to accept.

With Latendresse signing I think he is taking a huge risk but one I really like.

I am just glad that the season is so close that I am revved up for the games to start counting. Go HAbs!