What About Emelin ?

Chuko

Does anyone know why we haven't seen Emelin yet in North America ?

A friend of mine lives in Moscow and says this kid has been playing great D in the Russian Super League and that he's definitely NHL material. He also plays with a real mean streak.

I'm just curious to know what the deal is with him, given all the recent hoopla about our lack of depth on D.

1) There still isn't a transfer agreement with Russia.

2) He's under contract with a Russian team.

From that quote, would it be safe to assume that if there was a transfer agreement then he would be playing with the Habs this year? I was kind of under the impression that he was still a couple years away from being an NHLer.

From that quote, would it be safe to assume that if there was a transfer agreement then he would be playing with the Habs this year? I was kind of under the impression that he was still a couple years away from being an NHLer.

I don't know about being able to step-in and play NHL-calibre hockey, but he'd be great depth on the farm and in my opinion is probably slightly more developed than O'Bryne at the moment. Give him a year of seasoning in the AHL and then he'd be ready for prime-time.

From what I heard, Emelin is currently the best Habs defensive prospect and is supposebly quite ahead of O'Byrne in his development. Think of O'Byrne (but not as big) and with a meaner streak.

Any idea how long his existing Russian contract is ?

I really hope we get to see this guy because from what I'm told he's exactly what we need more of: big, physical, and a smart player. I just hope that he doesn't fall through the cracks and that we miss out on seeing what he can do at the NHL level.

I guy like this could be a hidden card next year when Souray, Markov, Rivet, and Niinimaa are all UFAs.

From TSN's NHL Mail:

Hey Scott, I was wondering if you knew anything about Alexei Yemelin. I've heard rumours that he's prospected to be the Canadiens' next top D. I know he's in Europe right now, but do you know if he's going to be making it to the NHL anytime soon? Thanks! Kevin Wilson

Kevin, Yemelin is a hard-hitting and aggressive defenceman who would certainly add a needed physical element to the Canadiens, but I don't know how gifted he is offensively and that might determine just how high he eventually rates on the Habs depth chart. The Canadiens seemed somewhat surprised that Yemelin is still under contract for two more years with Lada Togliatti in the Russian Super League, but Montreal may try and lure him across the pond next summer. - SC

From TSN's NHL Mail:

Hey Scott, I was wondering if you knew anything about Alexei Yemelin. I've heard rumours that he's prospected to be the Canadiens' next top D. I know he's in Europe right now, but do you know if he's going to be making it to the NHL anytime soon? Thanks! Kevin Wilson

Kevin, Yemelin is a hard-hitting and aggressive defenceman who would certainly add a needed physical element to the Canadiens, but I don't know how gifted he is offensively and that might determine just how high he eventually rates on the Habs depth chart. The Canadiens seemed somewhat surprised that Yemelin is still under contract for two more years with Lada Togliatti in the Russian Super League, but Montreal may try and lure him across the pond next summer. - SC

Thanks for the info.

So, two more years on his contract. Hmmmm. This worries me. We need to see what he can do in an NHL training camp. Sounds like he could be a little far away from that.

1) There still isn't a transfer agreement with Russia.

2) He's under contract with a Russian team.

I thought, as we saw with Malkin, that all a Russian player had to do was give two weeks written notice, even with a signed contract, and he was free to leave.

I thought, as we saw with Malkin, that all a Russian player had to do was give two weeks written notice, even with a signed contract, and he was free to leave.

You are right or Malkin would not be in Penguin lineup.

Edited by InsaneAVSfan

he could give notice within like 2 weeks of signing a contract.

He probably wouldn't do that to come to Hamilton and travel game to game by bus. I'm sure he would want some kind of guarantee of a one way contract before this happens. That is why I was wondering where his development was at. I figured if he is as good as a lot of people have been saying he would be over here, much the same as Malkin.