Game Thread | Montreal Vs. Buffalo | 10/06/06

Spider-Man NL

Sounds like the Samsonov-Plekanec-Kovalev line was pretty bad tonight.

Samsonov- played excellent, setting up many scoring chances, and created space with his amazing stickhandling.

Plekanec - Played very well, very speedy and made some nice plays

Kovalev - Didn't do much, was very slow...

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok now let's talk about the positives:

Koivu 2G 1A 3 PTS

Higgins 1G 2A 3PTS

Ryder 1G 1A 2PTS

Not bad. And we did get a point out of it. (Not that that really makes me feel alot better about the way it ended)

Sounds like the Samsonov-Plekanec-Kovalev line was pretty bad tonight.

Yeah -7.. but actually Plekanec played really good. He worked his arsse off. Kovalev and Samsonov were however often slow to come back on the defensive zone. They appeared "lazy", but it's their style. They had some good shifts, cycling around on the Sabres zone.

Plekanec IS NOT to be blamed. Played great. He'll work on faceoffs with Guy. He'll only get better

Higgins' stellar play - best news of the night. He said he wanted to make his mark as an elite player this season, and if he keeps playing like that, look out.

yeah.. he was great

It was funny how the Habs scored most of their goals... by missing their shots and taking the rebounds or deflected/missed shot/pass and shooting it behind Miller. Poor Miller didn't know what to do lol :lol:

so let's see -- Souray and Rivet suck and must go, Huet's weakness up high is now so glaringly obvious that he is all but useless, Plekanec was 29% on faceoffs so we should trade him for Ribeiro (or better still, Perreault!), and Kovalev is a floater -- let's unload that bum as well.

:P hockey is back in Montréal!

so let's see -- Souray and Rivet suck and must go, Huet's weakness up high is now so glaringly obvious that he is all but useless, Plekanec was 29% on faceoffs so we should trade him for Ribeiro (or better still, Perreault!), and Kovalev is a floater -- let's unload that bum as well.

:P hockey is back in Montréal!

BURN THE BELL CENTRE TO THE GROUND!!!!!!!!!!!

:king: :king:

In all honesty Rivet and Souray cannot continue as a pairing. T hey are far too slow. One needs to be paired with Niinima and the other with Dandenault. I can't believe that Carbonneau continued with that pairing after the Brier goal. Just shows how green he really is.

Overall, that they (except for Souray and Rivet) could skate that well with the Sabres speaks for how good this team is. Was not at all impressed with Latendresse although he didn't play at all in the 3rd.

Higgins, Koivu Ryder looked dynamite. Samsonov, Kovalev and Plekanec deserve some more time together. It hought they looked good. The rest of the team was hit and miss but I was impressed with Perezhogin for the most part. Markov, Komisarek and Dandenault were very good.

And hey, Huet looks like he's NOT a flash in the pan which is nice to see.

And I don't know about anybody else but I hate the shootout. I would almost, ALMOST, rather Montreal lose in regular time or overtime than win in a shootout. I hate it. How do other people feel?

With the new rules, I think they can go back to ties. THe four on four is exciting but I find nothing at all intriguing about winning or losing hockey games in shootouts. It just sucks

OKAY...Boys, we've vented enough...

I think we should start thinking about tommorow night against TORONTO.

I hope the boys get some rest, they worked incredibly hard tonight.

Yes, a good manhandling of the laughs should take care of this pain and misery. And if we come out with the same intensity and speed as we did tonight, we should easily be able to thrash that pathetic excuse for a hockey team.

LOL, Pleks did not have a very good night at all, imo. He was hardly alone. Kovy didn't show up again and the whole line was a defensive brain cramp.

Pleks certainly has to do better on the draw or we are in trouble. The rest of them were well on the plus side, he was the only weak spot. Let's hope he was just nervous. Or maybe he just found out how frustrating it is to play with Kovy when he doesn't show up.

Souray was not great for sure, but as some people said, this is the team to expose him. We will have to see how he does against the Leafs.

To me, the only real positive was the play of the first line. Huet was great, but also showed some things he needs to work on. I cut him some slack though since he kept them in that game with some really nice saves.

As for Carbo, I don't think you can tell anything about a coach after one game. How they respond tomorrow will tell you more about his coaching skills then anything we saw tonight.

Everyone has such glaringly opposed views on most players and I can appreciate most of it, but one I cannot is Rivet....He was horrid tonight, worst player on the ince, i'm nto saying he wont' get better but ...sheesh he was real real bad.

The deal is: that's Rivet and always will be.

Not saying Rivet is bad, just saying Rivet regularly has those types of atrocious games. They pop up once every other games. Its not a matter of heart or whatever, its just that Rivet has an average set of tools and he needs to be really focused to make it all work. If he gets a little too tired or distracted, mistakes starts adding up fast because he doesnt have the speed or physical dominance to catch himself up.

Again, not a matter of heart or work ethic, just the limitations of an athlete.

In all honesty Rivet and Souray cannot continue as a pairing. T hey are far too slow. One needs to be paired with Niinima and the other with Dandenault. I can't believe that Carbonneau continued with that pairing after the Brier goal. Just shows how green he really is.

Agreed with the first part, disagreed with the second part. Riskier to break up a pair this early in the season and in the 3rd period, especially when Niinimaa just arrived.

But I'd love to see Niinimaa - Rivet and Souray - Dandeneault sooner or later. Tell Rivet and Souray to focus on staying home and let Niin and Dandy do the puck rushing.

Edited by KoZed

Take the point and run...

Really seemed to me like Latendresse was goldbricking it after the first period. Not sure he realizes what it means to be on the fourth line, and what kind of an on-demand ethic it requires - one icing call he could have beat out he was cruising on. Nothing a little talking-to by coach Carbo can't cure, though.

Take the point and run...

Really seemed to me like Latendresse was goldbricking it after the first period. Not sure he realizes what it means to be on the fourth line, and what kind of an on-demand ethic it requires - one icing call he could have beat out he was cruising on. Nothing a little talking-to by coach Carbo can't cure, though.

Latendresse shouldn't even be in the NHL. He should be in the AHL, but because of the lame rules that don't allow CHL'ers but do allow Europeans to play, he can't. And another year of Jr probably won't do him any good. But you can jsut tell he doesn't belong. He doesn't know to use the boards and not try and clear the puck up the centre of the ice like in Jr. He's a step behind in his skating.

He's going to be a very good hockey player in the NHL. Just not in the next 2 years, maybe 3.

My thoughts on this game:

Huet made some very big stops...could have been ugly had he not been sharp.

Ryder/Koivu/Higgins were dynamite.

Kovalev/Plekanec/Samsonov were lax in their defensive coverage, looked uninterested on many shifts.

3rd and 4th lines were okay, except for Latendresse's defensive gaff (can be forgiven, rookie status and all).

Souray got had a couple of highlight-reel burns put on him

(nothing new there)...and Buffalo's speed exposed Rivet's lack thereof.

As far as the shootout goes, WHY THE HELL was Ryder shooting? This guy looked like a fish out of water in his shootout appearances last year. Waste of a shooter IMO. Bad luck on the Kovalev shot...he beat the tender, but not the post.

Disappointing game, but a point at least. Hoping for a better effort against the Leafs.

I think that after all of the post game venting, we all ended up on pretty much teh same page. If all of us could come to that conclusion I cannot think that Carbo hasn't also.

I am curious to see what he does with the D. Dandy has played great since the end of last year and in the playoffs, I think he is looking like a real solid pickup, it took him a while to adjust but his speed is a huge asset in the new nhl.

I thought the game was great. 3rd period was a huge let down and there are a few things the team needs to work on. Those two lines passes on both sabres goals should not happen. Ever.

When they got to the shootout I knew Buffalo was going to win. Especially since Huet looked like he hurt himself on the first shot.

Latendresse shouldn't even be in the NHL. He should be in the AHL, but because of the lame rules that don't allow CHL'ers but do allow Europeans to play, he can't. And another year of Jr probably won't do him any good. But you can jsut tell he doesn't belong. He doesn't know to use the boards and not try and clear the puck up the centre of the ice like in Jr. He's a step behind in his skating.

He's going to be a very good hockey player in the NHL. Just not in the next 2 years, maybe 3.

Agreed. Lats didn't look good at all. He couldn't hit anyone because they dished the puck away before he could get anywhere near them. He's just too slow. But I think he could be a real asset on the powerplay. And he seems like the kind of player that would play better at the Bell Center with all the fans cheering for him.

Well i didn't get a chance to vent, so here goes. Most everyone else commented on players and i'll do a few. It's hard to say anything about Carbo after one game but my only point is that with less than a minute to play i don't want 11, 27 and i don't know who the third winger was. That's why you have Bonk Begin and Johnson. To play defense with less than a minute. Same for Rivet and Souray. Holy cow are those guys slow.

First line: Played very well, looked great. I am surprised after Ryder scored that know one complained all he does is score and demand he be traded so someone else can take his place.

Second line: Had some chances out there, brutal in their own zone. That's what i expect with Kovalev and Samsonov on the same line. Hopefully there get some points tonight.

Third line: They were fine, Perez used his body.

Fourth: Did well in the first, Carbo shortened his bench. Give Lats some time, he's not going to do much on the 4th line, i expect he'll be moved up to the third and see some PP time in the future.

Markov and Komi: Played well tonight, got torched a few times.

Rivet and Souray: Brutal, No speed, smaller forwards beet them one on one. Perhaps the 2 most overated D men. On this board and the league.

Niinimaa Dandy: Played very well, Niinimaa had 2 huge turnovers, i don't know what that guy was thinking.

Good news:

Not a whole lot of penalties taken. The Ryder wasa make up call, you saw that one coming.

They scored first.

PP and PK looked pretty good.

Good overall team speed. Huet looked good. They scored 4 goals.

Bad News:

Defensively (in there own end) were pathetic as always: Too slow, losing 1 on1 battles to smaller forwards.

They can't play with a lead. Once they get a lead they sit back and stop playing.

What a game man. I'm pumped up :D

Even tough we lost the initial game this year, I feel a lot better about this game than the ugly 2-1 win last year in Boston.

What a game man. I'm pumped up :D

Even tough we lost the initial game this year, I feel a lot better about this game than the ugly 2-1 win last year in Boston.

Now that was a refreshing post! I agree completely!

Even though we lost, we were able to keep up with what everyone's calling the fastest team in the NHL. That will probably be one of the best games we see all year. End to end action, non stop speed, back and forth hockey. There's alot of teams in the league that won't be able to handle our speed. I hope we prove that tonight against the slow leafs defense.