If I Was To Visit Montreal To Watch The Habs Play

Killer Carlson

I'm my family in Hungary was ethnic germans who lived in Hungary. I'm not a magyar but I swear I look like one so who knows, I don't look german. I've got darker skin then my 100% german descent cousins.

So we aren't ethnic hungarians so we think but I swear we are, just can't connect the dots. My family is really small like 15 people. The rest are in Hungary and Germany don't know who they are. lol. I will find them someday. lol

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm my family in Hungary was ethnic germans who lived in Hungary. I'm not a magyar but I swear I look like one so who knows, I don't look german. I've got darker skin then my 100% german descent cousins.

So we aren't ethnic hungarians so we think but I swear we are, just can't connect the dots. My family is really small like 15 people. The rest are in Hungary and Germany don't know who they are. lol. I will find them someday. lol

half italian half irish...fully f@@ked up!!

heheh and i speak english..went to french school and speak italian

Here's what I'm talking about to clarify:

Magyar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_people

Here's how I'm considered a german even though family is from Hungary:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danube_Swabians

Grandpa was then conscripted into http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/22nd_SS_Volun..._Maria_Theresia

He drove a truck, ran away became a POW.

Then grandma was rounded up by the soviets and forced into a workers camp but then was freed 3 years later because she was born in the US and the soviets saw her as a liability so she was freed.

Edited by Pierre the Great

Here's what I'm talking about to clarify:

Magyar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_people

Here's how I'm considered a german even though family is from Hungary:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danube_Swabians

Grandpa was then conscripted into http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/22nd_SS_Volun..._Maria_Theresia

or this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7th_SS_Volunt...ion_Prinz_Eugen

He drove a truck, ran away became a POW.

Then grandma was rounded up by the soviets and forced into a workers camp but then was freed 3 years later because she was born in the US and the soviets saw her as a liability so she was freed.

so basicly your kind of a nation with a mother land If I understand correctly.

I thought that only true germans could be SS

Yeah we were displaced people.

SS orginally but near the end started conscripting people. Grandma was forced into that since he was a "Hungarian Volksdeutsche" (Hungarian German). Anyway thats the group I think he was in. Before he died he said his entire life story on tape but dad can't watch the film too tough for him.

Yeah we were displaced people.

SS orginally but near the end started conscripting people. Grandma was forced into that since he was a "Hungarian Volksdeutsche" (Hungarian German). Anyway thats the group I think he was in. Before he died he said his entire life story on tape but dad can't watch the film too tough for him.

my grand pa died 20 years ago so I didn,t have a chance to ask all of my questions. I think he landed in normady on D day but I'm not sure.

lol I asked my dad if he was in the german army but I forgot this important note: At 13 grandpa was tired of living on the dirt floors in hungary and walked across the border into Austria to seek a better life. lol. He'd been living in Austria since '39 so when when the Austrian army was desolved into the German army he was in the Austrian army. So now I've got to do some more searching. Someday I will find and visit the place were my grandma toiled for years at the hands of the Soviets in Poland.

Would it be advisable for me to learn a little french? Would it be appreciated for trying to use french or does evryone speak in english?

im planning to come over depending on the fixtures not this year but maybe next november/december.

Like the Nike slogan says: Just do it! You won't regret it.

My brother and I went there in 2001, we had a great time. We saw three Habs games, vs the Canes (a 3-2 OT loss), vs. the Lightning (a 3-1 win if I recall) and the Rangers (a 2-2 tie). Back then the Canadiens were pretty bad so I feared we would get there and they would stink up the place, but they didn't.

We stayed at a Holiday Inn in Longeuiell (I haven't the slightest idea how to spell it :wacko: ). It was a little too far from downtown even for my taste, it wasn't even near the Metro. What money we saved not staying right smack up the middle of it, we lost on cab fare. If I ever get to go there again I'm going to get a hotel that's closer to downtown.

We got by very well without knowing any French. (I wasted three years studying French in junior high, I was never any good at it.) I remember we were at a BK and the girl at the register asked "Avec fromage?" I know that means "with cheese". But we talked to her in English, so it worked nicely.

I'm sure it'd help a lot if you want to move there if you speak the language, but if you're just there as a tourist you can get by without knowing it.

LOL.

hysterical.

You guys are funny.

So whats everyone's first language then, I'm curious?

Mine's english of course, learning spanish, I can read french and say a few prayers in german. lol.

First language; Swedish. Second language; English.

We stayed at a Holiday Inn in Longeuiell

just for the record it's called longueuil.

it's the only town I know that as a bad haircut name after : THE COUPE LONGUEUIL or the longueuil cut

witch is a mullet in english.

this is a coupe longueuil in all it's glory. :lol:

Mullet.JPG

just for the record it's called longueuil.

it's the only town I know that as a bad haircut name after : THE COUPE LONGUEUIL or the longueuil cut

witch is a mullet in english.

this is a coupe longueuil in all it's glory. :lol:

Atrocious pic...

yeah, Longueuil is like the New Jersey of Montreal...

Thanks for all your help guys- if i stayed their would be no expense spared- i'd stay downtown and be willing to spend 150-200 dollars a night on accomodation- is that about a 3 star hotel or 4? and then id take about 3000 canadian dollars to spend (id be coming for a week or two)- i aint rich far from it- but it may be a once in a life time thing i do before marriage etc- i am not engaged but me and the girlfriend are talking about marriage and i told her ' before we settle down for i have to go to montreal alone and watch a few habs games or i might regret it later in life because i may never get chance again' she dont understand hockey and doesnt understand my obsession but to my surprise she said 'thats fine just bring me back something nice and then maybe we could go back together for a honeymoon and ill come and watch the habs with you'- bless her.

Thanks for all your help guys- if i stayed their would be no expense spared- i'd stay downtown and be willing to spend 150-200 dollars a night on accomodation- is that about a 3 star hotel or 4? and then id take about 3000 canadian dollars to spend (id be coming for a week or two)- i aint rich far from it- but it may be a once in a life time thing i do before marriage etc- i am not engaged but me and the girlfriend are talking about marriage and i told her ' before we settle down for i have to go to montreal alone and watch a few habs games or i might regret it later in life because i may never get chance again' she dont understand hockey and doesnt understand my obsession but to my surprise she said 'thats fine just bring me back something nice and then maybe we could go back together for a honeymoon and ill come and watch the habs with you'- bless her.

you'll be coming in the slowest time of the year so I think you'll have no problems finding a nice hotel room

may I suggest the queen elizabeth hotel ?? beside the cool british name :P , it's built above a metro station and it's 5 minutes walk from the bell center. I used to work there so I know what I'm talking about.

as for your tickets, it could be hard for you to find a pair but if you're alone, you shouldn't have any problems. if you do have problems, I could hook you up with a friend of mine who could get you cost price tickets. just let me know.

by the way . december in montreal can be &?(*%&*P cold.

Edited by marky_and_komi

you'll be coming in the slowest time of the year so I think you'll have no problems finding a nice hotel room

may I suggest the queen elizabeth hotel ?? beside the cool british name :P , it's built above a metro station and it's 5 minutes walk from the bell center. I used to work there so I know what I'm talking about.

as for your tickets, it could be hard for you to find a pair but if you're alone, you shouldn't have any problems. if you do have problems, I could hook you up with a friend of mine who could get you cost price tickets. just let me know.

by the way . december in montreal can be &?(*%&*P cold.

now you see tickets are the least of my worries- i can get them here face value- id do it on a sports tour- would cost about 1000 english pounds. i can get tickets here for any event in the world through my travel agent. even the superbowl and any broadway show.

I got tickets from the Habs official website. And that was six years ago.

I made sure to get them well in time though. The games we went to were played in January, and I must have reserved the tickets only a day or two after they went on sale, several months ahead of time.

I think it was actually the first time I paid for something on the internet with my VISA card. I remember the transaction showed on the receith I got the next time I was at an ATM, and I was a bit nervous until one day the tickets came in the mail.

We bought tickets for $ 50 Canadian a seat. I think that was the second to cheapest seats available. What was really cool was that although we got fairly cheap tickets and dispite us almost getting nosebleed seats, we saw the ice very well.

Edited by Doktor Kosmos

I got tickets from the Habs official website. And that was six years ago.

I made sure to get them well in time though. The games we went to were played in January, and I must have reserved the tickets only a day or two after they went on sale, several months ahead of time.

I think it was actually the first time I paid for something on the internet with my VISA card. I remember the transaction showed on the receith I got the next time I was at an ATM, and I was a bit nervous until one day the tickets came in the mail.

We bought tickets for $ 50 Canadian a seat. I think that was the second to cheapest seats available. What was really cool was that although we got fairly cheap tickets and dispite us almost getting nosebleed seats, we saw the ice very well.

I think the ones id get would be about 75$ so what would the seats be like?

my grand pa died 20 years ago so I didn,t have a chance to ask all of my questions. I think he landed in normady on D day but I'm not sure.

My great great grandpa was on Omaha beach on d-day, he got a silver star and a Purple Heart, He took out a 5 man sniper team, with 2 of his guys, when they were going back to headquarters both of his mates were shot, he ran and was shot in the knee, he kept running though, he died in 1980, he died from inhaling to much stone dust from carving graves, (my mom doesnt know why the hell he was carving graves.) But from what i heard he was a great guy.

I think the ones id get would be about 75$ so what would the seats be like?

I pay 30$ for my tickets. I'm in the nosebleed section but I like alot since we everything going on.

we all know that real fans are in the blue section. :P

My great great grandpa was on Omaha beach on d-day, he got a silver star and a Purple Heart, He took out a 5 man sniper team, with 2 of his guys, when they were going back to headquarters both of his mates were shot, he ran and was shot in the knee, he kept running though, he died in 1980, he died from inhaling to much stone dust from carving graves, (my mom doesnt know why the hell he was carving graves.) But from what i heard he was a great guy.

silver star is a great medal. as for the purple heart, it really showes the sacrifices these young men did.

last year my girlfriend brought me a stone from omaha and one from utah beach. I though it was the best gift she could've brought me.

Yeah my great uncle had a purple heart.

lol I paid 42 bucks for nosebleed upper deck seats for the Canucks vs. Blues game on October 20

ouch expensive !!

but whats fun about nosebleeds seat is that you can sneak in beer and nobody bothers you.

lol won't try that here. underage and don't need a blemish on my record. Last thing I need to have to do is 100hrs of community service.

you're alredy on the bubble. us drinking legal age sucks :que: :can:

Yeah I know. Completely dumb. Whatever happend to state rights? lol. I'm 20 years old. I'm not the kid to get wasted in 5 minutes. I'm a pleasure drinker mainly. Nice glass of wine, a good beer. Don't drink to excess. I've tried to get myself drunk but I guess my weight and height might have something to do with it. I guess being 6'8 240lb means I need a lot of hard stuff to get wasted.

Yeah I know. Completely dumb. Whatever happend to state rights? lol. I'm 20 years old. I'm not the kid to get wasted in 5 minutes. I'm a pleasure drinker mainly. Nice glass of wine, a good beer. Don't drink to excess. I've tried to get myself drunk but I guess my weight and height might have something to do with it. I guess being 6'8 240lb means I need a lot of hard stuff to get wasted.

you should try canadian beer. maybe you get a buzz before your bladder's full :lol:

the wine buzz is the best feeling . I tried many different drugs or alcohol but a good wine buzz is the greatest.