Movies

habs_in_the_blood

Saw The Happening today, and let's just say Shyamalan's downward trend continues with this movie. The Village was lackluster, Lady in the Water was not good at all, and this latest movie is the worst of the bunch. Ugh, it was just downright terrible.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked a lot of things in The Village, Signs and to a lesser extent Lady in the Water, but I'd admit it was probably more because I like Shyamalan and the leading actors than the fact that they were good movies. There were a lot of weak moments in those movies. My favourite Shyamalan movie is probably Unbreakable.

What I like about Shyamalan is that he's very good at creating a certain atmosphere of the unknown, menacing and mysterious that really appeals to me.

Edited by Doktor Kosmos

I liked a lot of things in The Village, Signs and to a lesser extent Lady in the Water, but I'd admit it was probably more because I like Shyamalan and the leading actors than the fact that they were good movies. There were a lot of weak moments in those movies. My favourite Shyamalan movie is probably Unbreakable.

What I like about Shyamalan is that he's very good at creating a certain atmosphere of the unknown, menacing and mysterious that really appeals to me.

That's true, but not in this movie. The menace and mystery should build as the movie goes on, but it just doesn't in this movie. And for a man known for the twists at the end of his movies, this one doesn't have any twist at all. Lack of building suspense plus anti-climatic finish equals an awful movie. I'm glad I watched Signs the other night so I can still think of Shyamalan in a positive light. Three movies in a row that I'll never watch again.

Saw The Happening today, and let's just say Shyamalan's downward trend continues with this movie. The Village was lackluster, Lady in the Water was not good at all, and this latest movie is the worst of the bunch. Ugh, it was just downright terrible.

I figured as much, someone at another forum I go to went to an advance screening last week and said it was terrible. Once I found out what the plot was, it was the stupidest thing I've ever heard. The last movie of his I saw was Signs and I didn't like it at all. I never bothered to see The Village because so many people told me to avoid it and Lady In The Water just didn't look interesting (although my dad bought it so if I really wanted to, I could watch it. I won't though). I haven't enjoyed one of his movies since Unbreakable.

Anyways, I saw The Incredible Hulk and it was about 100 times better then I was expecting. I'd almost put it in the same class as Iron Man or Spider-Man 2. In hindsight, I shouldn't of been fretting about the script because Hulk has never exactly been a comic with depth. It's just an giant angry green guy kicking shitloads of ass and thats what this movie was. It's exactly what you want from a summer movie, non-stop action. So if you hated the Ang Lee's, this one is the polar opposite of that movie. It was basically, pardon the pun here, pretty incredible. The theater actually applauded once it was over (and it got a killer review in the paper this morning so it's not just me talking, this is actually a good movie)

Robert Downey Jr. wasn't after the credits either which obviously I liked since I bitched about it last night here. Made me chuckle actually. Marvel is starting to hit some home runs here and I love it.

Edited by jetsniper

I figured as much, someone at another forum I go to went to an advance screening last week and said it was terrible. Once I found out what the plot was, it was the stupidest thing I've ever heard. The last movie of his I saw was Signs and I didn't like it at all. I never bothered to see The Village because so many people told me to avoid it and Lady In The Water just didn't look interesting (although my dad bought it so if I really wanted to, I could watch it. I won't though). I haven't enjoyed one of his movies since Unbreakable.

Anyways, I saw The Incredible Hulk and it was about 100 times better then I was expecting. I'd almost put it in the same class as Iron Man or Spider-Man 2. In hindsight, I shouldn't of been fretting about the script because Hulk has never exactly been a comic with depth. It's just an giant angry green guy kicking shitloads of ass and thats what this movie was. It's exactly what you want from a summer movie, non-stop action. So if you hated the Ang Lee's, this one is the polar opposite of that movie. It was basically, pardon the pun here, pretty incredible. The theater actually applauded once it was over (and it got a killer review in the paper this morning so it's not just me talking, this is actually a good movie)

Robert Downey Jr. wasn't after the credits either which obviously I liked since I bitched about it last night here. Made me chuckle actually. Marvel is starting to hit some home runs here and I love it.

GREAT !!! Now how much time before Banner turns into Hulk ? Less than 40 and it will already be better than the last.

Edited by JoeLassister

The last movie of his I saw was Signs and I didn't like it at all.

I loved Signs. It's definitely my favorite of his movies, and one of my favorites overall.

Once I found out what the plot was, it was the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

The plot had promise for the first half of the movie, but it ended up being terrible. I just can't get over how anti-climatic it was. The characters and the acting were terrible too, the more I think about it. The relationships were unconvincing. Nobody seemed truly terrified, which is ridiculous given what was going on. There was little to no development of the characters. The gore was unnecessary also, it didn't add anything to the film. It seemed like he just put it in there so it could be hyped as his first R rated film.

GREAT !!! Now how much time before Banner turns into Hulk ? Less than 40 and it will already be better than the last.

If I remember correctly, it was about 15 minutes (could possibly be less). If all you want to see is Hulk smashing stuff together, you're going to love the climax with The Abomination. Great, great battle.

I've got to go see it again, it was so damn good.

If only that were true.

;)

My problem with Lady in the water was that the myth about the lady and the plot of the movie felt so far-fetched that it even within the context of the movie it didn't seem even remotely credible that the characters would believe in it. There were several things that were so corny and childish that I burst out laughing.

Edited by Doktor Kosmos

Well, the reason Lady in the Water seemed so childish was that it was based on a bedtime story that he used to tell his kids. So it was basically a children's story on steroids. I believe there is also a picture book version that came out after the movie.

Wicker Park was on TV the other day, so I watched it (the second time I've seen in). While I didn't like it so much the first time, I was surprisingly entertained and content with the movie this time around.

You go see movies like The Happening and then complain that it was awful? I would never waste 10$ to see a movie that you can tell just by the preview is going to be terrible. I actually haven't seen anything of Shyamalan since The Sixth Sense and if I ever do, it won't be in theatres. The same goes really for basically all horror movies. There have only been a handful of truely good horror movies and most of them were made 30+ years ago.

You go see movies like The Happening and then complain that it was awful? I would never waste 10$ to see a movie that you can tell just by the preview is going to be terrible. I actually haven't seen anything of Shyamalan since The Sixth Sense and if I ever do, it won't be in theatres. The same goes really for basically all horror movies. There have only been a handful of truely good horror movies and most of them were made 30+ years ago.

Any horror movie in theatre is a waste of money. Any comedy in theatres is a waste of money. I just go to theatre to see movies that worth it on a HUGE screen... or Québecois movies to cheer for...

I was very intrigued by the preview, and by the first bit of the movie. It had tons of potential. I also don't think of his movies as horror movies, but as suspense movies. This one had suspense, it just didn't build and didn't really get resolved.

P.S. I get pissed off when I have to pay 6 bucks for movie...

I finally saw Kingdom of the Crystal Skull yesterday and it was as good as i expected, but still not that sense of wonder that Raiders gave me the first time I saw it. The only real problem I had was that he just looked old.

:hlogo:

I finally saw Kingdom of the Crystal Skull yesterday and it was as good as i expected, but still not that sense of wonder that Raiders gave me the first time I saw it. The only real problem I had was that he just looked old.

:hlogo:

Well, the movie did take place 20 some years after the originals, so looking old makes sense.

I watched Drillbit Taylor last night since I don't mind Owen Wilson. What a garbage movie that was. Every adult in the movie has an IQ of a 5 year old and seemingly loathes their own children.

Well, the movie did take place 20 some years after the originals, so looking old makes sense.

Not only that, but we the viewers have also gotten some 20 years older. That changes your perspective quite a bit. I know for a fact I don't think the same way at 32 as I did at the age of 12 - and thank God for that.

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

-Possibly THE best screenplay I've ever seen (written by Ernest Lehmann who also did things like North By Northwest and, I think, West Side Story).

-One of the best male performances I've ever seen.

-One of the best female performances I've ever seen.

-One of the best movies I've ever seen.

Old movies rarely make it into my Top 10 list, I'm usually most effected by the good movies of the 90s and 00s (American Beauty, Magnolia, Leon, The Usual Suspects, Se7en, Reservoir Dogs, There Will Be Blood, Requiem For A Dream, ...) and this movie doesn't crack my list basically because its old and old movies don't quite have the same impact - but it is definitely one of the "greatest cinematic achievements," I'll call it, that I've ever seen. The dialogue is ridiculous.

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

-Possibly THE best screenplay I've ever seen (written by Ernest Lehmann who also did things like North By Northwest and, I think, West Side Story).

-One of the best male performances I've ever seen.

-One of the best female performances I've ever seen.

-One of the best movies I've ever seen.

Old movies rarely make it into my Top 10 list, I'm usually most effected by the good movies of the 90s and 00s (American Beauty, Magnolia, Leon, The Usual Suspects, Se7en, Reservoir Dogs, There Will Be Blood, Requiem For A Dream, ...) and this movie doesn't crack my list basically because its old and old movies don't quite have the same impact - but it is definitely one of the "greatest cinematic achievements," I'll call it, that I've ever seen. The dialogue is ridiculous.

As in the one with Richard Burton? I'd love to watch it. Now I'm jealous of you.

As in the one with Richard Burton? I'd love to watch it. Now I'm jealous of you.

Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton. There are 4 characters, all 4 were nominated for Oscars that year. This is the most fascinating character study I've ever seen. I highly recommend this, the witty dialogue alone makes it worth it - Lehman puts on a screenwriting clinic.

Just got done watching The Rocket. While the movie itself wasn't that great, I was amazed by the story. I really had no idea about anything other than his hockey career, and apparently I knew very little about the riots. I really had no idea that he was so much more than a hockey player to so many people. I can't believe they didn't at least mention Henri, though.

Still can't believe they had it at Blockbuster, I never would have expected to see it. I almost did a month of netflix just so I could see this, I'm glad I didn't have to spend that extra money.

Just got done watching The Rocket. While the movie itself wasn't that great, I was amazed by the story. I really had no idea about anything other than his hockey career, and apparently I knew very little about the riots. I really had no idea that he was so much more than a hockey player to so many people. I can't believe they didn't at least mention Henri, though.

Still can't believe they had it at Blockbuster, I never would have expected to see it. I almost did a month of netflix just so I could see this, I'm glad I didn't have to spend that extra money.

Hockey is great but it doesn't deserve this :

A lot, I mean A LOT of students made their master's essay with as subject Maurice Richard or a related topic.

Back in the days, when Maurice was playing at his prime, English-Canadians in Québec were the "dominant class". They owned the busnisses as the French-Canadians represented the "working class" (in french we say "classe ouvrière"). Maurice was one of the first, maybe THE first, French-Canadian to reach this level of greatness and admiration in our society, the man who made the Québécois realize they CAN be great, have the big jobs, be the boss in our province.

Many sociologists and historians arguably support that Maurice Richard's riot was the main precursor of the Quiet Revolution, the event who started it all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quiet_Revolution