Movies

habs_in_the_blood

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't even want to get me started on Spider-Man 3. I would've walked out on it if it hadn't of been like, 2 in the morning and my friend drove me to the theater.

Haha, yeah. Only reason I didn't leave was because I had driven a friend. I still feel bad about paying twice as much as I usually do to see that movie.

My friend just told me that Heath Ledger was ridiculously good but that the rest was good but not as amazing. He said that Ledger was the movie for him.

Yeah, I think I'd have to agree. I really liked it, but it just didn't satisfy me for some reason. I think I got caught up in all the hype and it just didn't deliver on the level I was expecting. I think I was expecting much darker things out of Batman than what happened.

Plus, it really bothered me how fast the Joker was able to turn Harvey Dent. I realize they tried to set it up by having him almost kill that conspirator earlier in the movie, but looking back it just seems forced. It's probably just me, but I just didn't believe it. I especially didn't believe it since his spiel about not having a plan was so bogus. Of course he had plans, he had very elaborate plans. That should have been obvious to anyone.

You do realize the Joker saying he didn't have plans was supposed to be a lie, right?

And the accident causes Harvey Dent's personality to split in two, thats why he's called Two-Face. He was evil even before being antagonized by Joker. There's other clues to Dent not being as good as seems as well, especially in conversations between him and Gordon.

I watched The Ruins and Oliver last night.

The Ruins stayed true to the title, it was a mess. No logic, bad acting and a weak story...Ugh.

Oliver; this was the first time I have seen this movie, and I was pleasantly suprised. I'm not a fan of musicals but this is legendary so I figured I had to watch it at some point. A few of the musical numbers should/could have been left on the cutting room floor, but you have to take into account the age of the piece already. Overall, I was pleased with it.

Tonight I'm going to watch In Bruges because of the good review it got on here, and The Oxford Murders which I know little about.

Edited by Habitforming

Just for a little fun. list your top 3-5 all-time favourite movies. No they don't have to be classics or what have you, just your top 5 favorites (which will be difficult. I always forget some)

In no particular order. (subject to change , when I remember them :D )

1. Boondock Saints

2. Lord of the Rings trilogy

3. The Matrix trilogy

4. JFK

5. Floating spot depending on my mood

You do realize the Joker saying he didn't have plans was supposed to be a lie, right?

And the accident causes Harvey Dent's personality to split in two, thats why he's called Two-Face. He was evil even before being antagonized by Joker. There's other clues to Dent not being as good as seems as well, especially in conversations between him and Gordon.

Of course, I'm saying that nobody should have fallen for that line of bull.

A split personality didn't really come across in the movie.

Of course, I'm saying that nobody should have fallen for that line of bull.

A split personality didn't really come across in the movie.

I know, Joker was just screwing with Batman's head. Thats why I loved that scene. I forget who he says it to later in the movie but one of his lines is "It's all part of the plan". His ultimate goal was trying to ruin and corrupt both of Gotham's "knights" to make things easier for the criminals. Obviously it worked for Dent but not on Batman, thats why Joker kept pestering him "If you want to stop me, you're going to have to break your only rule tonight"

There were a few indicators after the accident but a good one was disfiguring his coin. Because it was a double-sided coin before, he was always going to get a happy or positive outcome. Distincting one side of the coin from the other allowed him to show he was willing to become a villain. It was like he said "You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.". It was like I said though, my one problem was Two-Face not being a full-fledged villain but just a plot device. Although I've figured how they can bring him back for the third one.

I f*cking loved The Dark Knight.

(Oh, and I hope that doesn't come out as an argumentative post. It's not, just commenting on the movie)

Edited by jetsniper

There were a few indicators after the accident but a good one was disfiguring his coin. Because it was a double-sided coin before, he was always going to get a happy or positive outcome. Distincting one side of the coin from the other allowed him to show he was willing to become a villain. It was like he said "You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.". It was like I said though, my one problem was Two-Face not being a full-fledged villain but just a plot device. Although I've figured how they can bring him back for the third one.

I f*cking loved The Dark Knight.

(Oh, and I hope that doesn't come out as an argumentative post. It's not, just commenting on the movie)

Like I said, I just didn't believe him turning that fast. I think it would have been much better to have him struggle with his evil side in this one to setup Two-Face as a villain in the next movie. I think that would have sat better with me. It just seemed like Two-Face got thrown into the movie and not given proper development, like Venom in SM3.

Don't worry, you didn't.

Damn, IMAX Dark Knight is sold out for the next few nights, guess i'll have to wait till next week to see it again.

Top 5 movies? I can't quite rank TDK, need to see it a few more times before making a decision...

right now ill go

1. Shawshank Redemption

2. The Shining

3. 2001: A Space Odyssey

4. The Green Mile

5. The Departed

Yeah, I found out the other day that one of the IMAX theaters in Calgary isn't an IMAX theater anymore so now instead of 2 we've only got 1. I have to get down there sometime soon to see Dark Knight again though.

I'd have to think about my top movies and I'd definitely need more then 5 slots. I can think of 4 comic book movies alone that I'd include. Have to think about it too.

humm top 5 favourite movies is so damn tough to rank

but would include 5 of them depending on my mood :

LOTR trilogy (probably #1 in any mood)

Juno

Pulp Fiction

Reservoir Dog

Lock Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels

Big Fish

Robin Hood, Men in Tights

La Vita è Bella

Lock Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels

F-in' eh !! I love love stock. I loved snatch as much maybe even more even thought both are more so the same kind of movies.

as for comedies, Space balls and naked guns ( the 1st one) are up there.

Dark Helmet being Rick Moranis :lol:

in the drama category:

The Shawhank Redemption

Joyeux Noel

as for comedies, Space balls and naked guns ( the 1st one) are up there.

Dark Helmet being Rick Moranis :lol:

ha ha

I might be the biggest fan of this type of movies on HW. I own :

Basketball

Naked Gun trilogy

Wrongfully accused

Spy Hard

Hot Shots

Hot Shots part deux

Mafia

Spaceballs

Robin Hood Men in Tights

Scary Movie 2-3

Not Another Teen Movie

I plan to buy :

- Scary Movie

- Dracula: Dead and Loving It

- Il Silenzio dei prosciutti (if I ever find it in store or on Ebay (i've been looking for it since 2 years now...))

ha ha

I might be the biggest fan of this type of movies on HW. I own :

Basketball

Naked Gun trilogy

Wrongfully accused

Spy Hard

Hot Shots

Hot Shots part deux

Mafia

Spaceballs

Robin Hood Men in Tights

Scary Movie 2-3

Not Another Teen Movie

I plan to buy :

- Scary Movie

- Il Silenzio dei prosciutti (if I ever find it in store or on Ebay (i've been looking for it since 2 years now...))

You should watch Young Frankenstein. I have it, it's my favourite Mel Brooks movie.

As for my favourites

(My four #1s)

The Usual Suspects

Magnolia

American Beauty

Requiem For A Dream

(#5-10 in no set order but this is probably how I would rank them)

Reservoir Dogs

There Will Be Blood

This Is England

Silence of the Lambs

City of God

Full Metal Jacket

Se7en and The Departed and The Green Mile would narrowly miss it. I tend to keep old movies off that list even if they're better than the ones on it.

I was supposed to watch In Bruges tonight, but alas I ended up watching Pathology starring Milo Ventimiglia (better known as Peter Petrelli from TV series Heroes)

Overall not too bad. There were some messed up trippy parts in it, as well as some Alyssa Milano nudity so it's hard to call it a write off. Worth watching if you need to fill some gaps of time up.

To BTH..............There will be Blood?

Are you kidding?

Edited by Habitforming

I was supposed to watch In Bruges tonight, but alas I ended up watching Pathology starring Milo Ventimiglia (better known as Peter Petrelli from TV series Heroes)

Overall not too bad. There were some messed up trippy parts in it, as well as some Alyssa Milano nudity so it's hard to call it a write off. Worth watching if you need to fill some gaps of time up.

To BTH..............There will be Blood?

Are you kidding?

In Bruges is awesome.

And yes. There Will Be Blood. Why didn't you like it, because it was too long? The first time I saw it, I didn't really like it but after a few viewings I love it. The cinematography is the best I've ever seen save for Lawrence of Arabia. We might never see shots like this again. The two lead performances are as good as we've seen in years. The music and score is probably the best I've ever heard anywhere. Then as a bonus, the entire thing is pretty much a tribute to Kubrick - who along with PT Anderson is my favourite director - there are references everywhere.

There hasn't been a movie like this since... Requiem, in 2000, I'd say, or maybe since '99 when there were a couple. An interesting and intriguing story that is also a masterpiece of art (unlike something like Dead Man's Chest that is all action, no art and I'm Not There which is all art and nothing there for the average person to understand). The character study that goes in in this movie is so interesting and there are so many classic scenes in it - the final one will go down as a classic. Just top to bottom, it is a total and utter masterpiece - the only thing I've ever seen that could top it for what it was was another Anderson movie: Magnolia, or else something taken from Kubrick himself, if that.

There will be blood is a beautiful movie. Acting is awesome, picture is great, etc.

Only problem : it is a freaking boring story. Nothing is happening ! I had to hit myself in the face with a shovel to saty awake.

You should watch Young Frankenstein. I have it, it's my favourite Mel Brooks movie.

yeah, i've seen it 2 times, but i don't really like it. Maybe it is because i don't like Frankenstein that much...

Agreed with both of Joe's points, I didn't think TWBB was boring though. I prefer Spaceballs for Mel Brooks movies, not a fan of Young Frankenstein or Blazing Saddles. I love all the There Will Be Blood parodies that popped up as well, I think my favourite is There Will Be Bud.

Gotta love any movie that sparks an internet fad anyway.

I've been thinking about my top 10 basically all night and I've got about 30 movies I can switch in and out depending on my mood. Theres just way too much good stuff out there for me to limit it like that, I'm the same way with music. Off the top of my head this second though, I'd go with:

(in no real order)

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Little Miss Sunshine

The Dark Knight

A Clockwork Orange

Goodfellas

Iron Man

Batman Begins

The Departed

Hard Candy

Atonement/Love Actually for a KK movie

Dammit, I need to make this 11 just so I can put down Spider-Man 2

Just saw Dark Knight.. Finally. And my review "stands" as is, it was quite possibly the best thing my eyes have seen since the Departed.

:hlogo:

Edited by The-Habby2919

I forgot about letters from iwo jima... it's nice to see the other in a human way..not only those jerks that tried slay liberty and freedom.

Munich was great except that at the end I looked at my watch( not a good sign) but the movie was almost over.

for those who like films à la snatch and lock stock...LAYER CAKE.

Sin city.............Jessica alba. :wub:

drooling_homer.gif

question: I'm I the only one that doesn't like James Bond movies

Edited by marky_and_komi

There will be blood is a beautiful movie. Acting is awesome, picture is great, etc.

Only problem : it is a freaking boring story. Nothing is happening ! I had to hit myself in the face with a shovel to saty awake.

How can a movie be good if you can hardly stay awake during it? That seriously boggles my mind.

Anyways, my list would have to boil down to:

Star Wars trilogies

Star Trek IV and First Contact

The first three Tom Clancy movies (Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger)

Braveheart

Rudy

Remember the Titans

Field of Dreams

Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl

Backdraft

Bridge on the River Kwai

Rudy

National Treasure

The Green Mile

Hitch

Signs

Memento

Nice to see a lot of great movies. Too many for me to comment on them.

I'll make my own list later. But first...

Unless you're a diehard Mel Brooks fan, don't buy it. You'll be doing yourself a favor. Probably the worst Brooks movie I've seen. I love many of his movies; this one's not one of them.

what is this hype about the Departed ??? guys watch the original : Infernal Affairs !

Yes, do, it's great. Don't let such a minor thing as subtitles stop you from enjoying great movies.

Yeah, Infernal Affairs was great, I checked it out after I saw The Departed. Has anyone seen the sequels?

Actually reminds me of a Korean movie coming out this summer (it might've been released already actually. I know it was shown at Cannes and a lot of people liked it.) that I want to see called The Good, The Bad and The Weird.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imgdpz_0m-8...feature=related

Oh, and just stopped by imdb and saw this little gem. So they still might be able to work him into the third movie.

Edited by jetsniper