Movies

habs_in_the_blood

What I think was good about Saving Private Ryan was that it really showed, in a very visual way that you couldn't escape, what kind of Hell war is (or must be, I wouldn't know since I've never been in one myself).

Very good point about WWII, I totally agree.

As a matter of fact, about a year ago I think, I recorded Letters from Iwo Jima and Flags of our fathers, but I still haven't watched them. However yesterday I finally burned them to DVD discs so I could clear up space on the harddrive of my DVR. From what I understand these movies are very hyped. What I hope to see when I finally watch them some day is a different viewpoint, a new take on WWII if you get what I mean. Which is something that makes Enemy at the gates interesting - here we have a bunch of Russians who are fighting the same enemies as the Allies did, i.e. the Nazis.

Don't get me wrong, America did us Europeans a heckuva favour in WWII and during the post-war year, no doubt about that, but... well I suppose many of us have a sort of love/hate relationship with the US.

I don't know if it qualifies as a war movie, but if you should happen to be interested in seeing a movie that offers a different point of view then I can heartily the Italian 1960's movie La battaglia di Algeri, which is a movie about a couple of the people in the resistence in Algeria during the French invasion.

I love The Great Escape and Bridge on the River Kwai.

Don't expect to much of Flags of our fathers. Just sayin'.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

War is maybe the only genre that we repeatedly see done in different ways and from different viewpoints.

For example,

Saving Private Ryan is notable because it took you right into the centre of the battle and made you feel like you were in the fight.

Full Metal Jacket showed you how war dehumanizes people and turns them into killing machines.

Fires on the Plain showed the horrors of war and why it "doesn't decide who's right - only who's left."

The Battle of Algiers and Downfall give you "the other side's" side of the story and let you sympathize with them.

The Best Years of Our Lives shows the soldiers only after they return to their families, and whow war has affected them.

Some (too many to name) glorify war.

Some (too many to name) just use it as a backdrop for other ideas, like Dr. Strangelove (for comedic purposes - showing how everyday actions and problems look in extreme situations) and Gone With the Wind (for plot purposes, and it builds up intensity, the themes, etc..).

It's one of the only genres that hasn't died.

Tell me you were with a girl when you saw that. :lol:

No, went with my 11 year-old cousin who was visiting. Normally I love when my cousins come to visit because it gives me a good excuse to see movies I wouldn't otherwise see. This, however, was easily my least favorite animated movie I've seen in years.

I see movies by myself all the time, whats the big deal.

Hell, when I saw HBP last week, I was the only person in the whole theater. It was sweet.

I don't know, I just don't enjoy it. I love being the only group in a theatre, though. It's kind of like watching comedy in my opinion. If you do it alone, you'll probably chuckle, but if you watch it in a group, the laughter is infectious and you end up laughing tons harder.

I don't know, I just don't enjoy it. I love being the only group in a theatre, though. It's kind of like watching comedy in my opinion. If you do it alone, you'll probably chuckle, but if you watch it in a group, the laughter is infectious and you end up laughing tons harder.

+1 a good comedy alone becomes a great comedy in a group.

I guess I'm just the opposite then. Other people being there has no bearing on the content itself for me. I watch The Office by myself and I usually end up rolling on the ground laughing.

Going to the movies is like the best thing you can do by yourself. It's dark, no one is allowed to talk, no one can be annoying. You just go and chill watching a flick. Sometimes I don't even go and see something I'm absolutely interested in, I just do it for the alone time. Seeing Step Brothers last summer for instance.

I see movies by myself all the time, whats the big deal.

Hell, when I saw HBP last week, I was the only person in the whole theater. It was sweet.

LOL

I saw Eddie Murphy's Boomerang at the cinema and it was me, a guy and a couple in the theatre, a grand total of four people. The couple left about halfway through. I only sat through the whole movie cause I had a big a$$ bag of candy. :lol:

ADD: Oh and I'd like to point out that I didn't buy the ticket myself. They were handing them out for free at my dad's record store.

Edited by Doktor Kosmos

:D

Did a kind of "fantasy draft" of movies with my ex-gf few days after we broke up.

She had the first pick and had to choose 1 movie, then it was 2 each

I managed to secure :

The Dark Knight

Lucky Number Slevin

The Three Musketeers

Infernal Affairs

Good Will Hunting

Sin City

Sleepy Hollow

The Nighmare Before Christmas

The Simpsons Movie

Edward Scissorhands

Dans Une Galaxie Près de Chez Nous

The Mask

while I lost :

Juno

Kill Bill I and II

The Prestige

Déjà Vu

7even

Butterfly Effect (don't care)

Blood Diamond

Remember the Titans

Hotel Rwanda

the Louis-José Houde 1rst show

Minority Report

The Interpreter

The Inside Man

movies in bold are the ones I'm gonna buy again. Kind of pissed because I had no idea that she loved The Prestige and I let it sleep until 3rd round thinking she would go with The Simpsons or Dans une Galaxie...

I haven't watched Juno yet but I recorded it on my DVR recently from a Swedish channel, it's sitting there waiting on the harddrive.

Juno isn't that great. Maybe it's just me, but everyone loves it and I think it was an overrated piece of gartbage. Love Michael Cera, don't love that movie.

I went to see Funny People yesterday. I don't really know what to make of it. It was almost two movies in one. I won't elaborate on that statement, but it just seemed as if there were two different plots do it, part one and part two. I liked it, because I seem to like everything, but my friends seemed to think it was mildly funny while too long. At some points time could have been shaved off

TBRC's Rating: 8/10

Juno isn't that great. Maybe it's just me, but everyone loves it and I think it was an overrated piece of gartbage. Love Michael Cera, don't love that movie.

I went to see Funny People yesterday. I don't really know what to make of it. It was almost two movies in one. I won't elaborate on that statement, but it just seemed as if there were two different plots do it, part one and part two. I liked it, because I seem to like everything, but my friends seemed to think it was mildly funny while too long. At some points time could have been shaved off

TBRC's Rating: 8/10

You love Michael Cera?

His whole acting motto is "Everyone liked me on AD so I'll just keep playing the exact same character for the rest of my life". He's like Keanu Reeves without the cool.

I guess I'm just the opposite then. Other people being there has no bearing on the content itself for me. I watch The Office by myself and I usually end up rolling on the ground laughing.

Going to the movies is like the best thing you can do by yourself. It's dark, no one is allowed to talk, no one can be annoying. You just go and chill watching a flick. Sometimes I don't even go and see something I'm absolutely interested in, I just do it for the alone time. Seeing Step Brothers last summer for instance.

Jesus man ...

I didn't realize you were a loner.

Did you torture animals as a child as well?

Just checking, I like to keep "those" people happier :P

I dropped kittens from really high up on a farm when I was 3. They didn't get hurt or anything and I got in a lot of trouble and never did it again. Does that count?

I'm not a loner, I just never want to see the same stuff as my friends so I end up going by myself. Like when I turned 17 and wanted to see Eternal Sunshine but I had to listen to two days of complaining because they thought it looked boring. I caved and we saw f*cking Starsky and Hutch. :puke:. Well actually theres one friend I share the same taste with and we'd always see stuff together but he just moved to Toronto a couple weeks ago. :(

So I don't have serial killer tendencies or however Dr.Phil puts it, don't worry. :P

Joe, I'd say you wrecked her in that fantasy draft.

Not a piece of garbage, but I didn't like it either. The movie itself is decent but it tries too hard, I think, to sell itself to trendy hipsters that shop at.. I dunno.. The Gap, or wherever trendy hipsters shop.

You love Michael Cera?

His whole acting motto is "Everyone liked me on AD so I'll just keep playing the exact same character for the rest of my life". He's like Keanu Reeves without the cool.

How many film actors can you name (ever) with any actual versatility? 90% of them, even the superstars, are always playing the same character. Some good ones, like, say, Denzel Washington or Al Pacino, might have a range of up to 2 or 3 characters, but very, very few can actually play "anybody."

Maybe Depp, Day-Lewis, Brando, Blanchett, DiCaprio, Winslet, Streep, a few character actors...

I'm not a loner, I just never want to see the same stuff as my friends so I end up going by myself. Like when I turned 17 and wanted to see Eternal Sunshine but I had to listen to two days of complaining because they thought it looked boring. I caved and we saw f*cking Starsky and Hutch. :puke:. Well actually theres one friend I share the same taste with and we'd always see stuff together but he just moved to Toronto a couple weeks ago. :(

lol One of my two movie friends is moving to Toronto in a couple of weeks.

But what's wrong with Starsky & Hutch. It's nowhere near as good as Eternal Sunshine but it's one of the better dumb comedies of the past few years. I loved Snoop Dogg and that smart friend in his crew. "It's true - I read it in a magazine."

How many film actors can you name (ever) with any actual versatility? 90% of them, even the superstars, are always playing the same character. Some good ones, like, say, Denzel Washington or Al Pacino, might have a range of up to 2 or 3 characters, but very, very few can actually play "anybody."

Maybe Depp, Day-Lewis, Brando, Blanchett, DiCaprio, Winslet, Streep, a few character actors...

lol. I'm happy with my picks...

I'd add Robin Williams and Brad Pitt without a doubt to this list.

Agreed, meant to say that earlier.

Not a piece of garbage, but I didn't like it either. The movie itself is decent but it tries too hard, I think, to sell itself to trendy hipsters that shop at.. I dunno.. The Gap, or wherever trendy hipsters shop.

Thrift stores, American Apparel, that kind of place. Gap is too mainstream for hipsters. Anywhere you can get vintage clothes and ratty skinny jeans.

Speaking of movies that are trying to get over with the hipster crowd:

Where The Wild Things Are

I really want to see it though.

I know what you're saying and I agree. I guess my point though is just that I think Cera isn't talented and boring to watch. Year One is a perfect example of why I don't like him, although I really liked Superbad.

lol One of my two movie friends is moving to Toronto in a couple of weeks.

But what's wrong with Starsky & Hutch. It's nowhere near as good as Eternal Sunshine but it's one of the better dumb comedies of the past few years. I loved Snoop Dogg and that smart friend in his crew. "It's true - I read it in a magazine."

Nothing really but you said it. Nowhere near as good as Eternal Sunshine and I kicked myself for caving when I did eventually see Eternal Sunshine. I skipped a movie thats in my top 5 for a half-decent comedy.

My trendy hipster movie friend has been excited about Where the Wild Things Are for months.

I don't even know what a thrift store is.