Movies

habs_in_the_blood

One of the dumber movies I've ever seen. Was like Tarantino got wasted/high/both in the middle of writing it and the rest of the movie was the account of his drug trip.

Nuts or silly doesn't necessarily mean dumb.

It's a reasonably intelligent movie, I find. Why does it matter if he was high while doing it?

It's a movie you're supposed to have fun while watching. It doesn't work if you're counting plot holes.

You really liked Elephant ? After the movie, I told myself : Oh my God, I just wasted so much time ! Seriously, aside from the beautiful pictures, pretty much nothing is good IMO. I get the long scenes thing, but all of the long scenes are like 2-3 minutes to long.

Well... he did it his own way. Every year, movies come out about such topics (real historical events), and they're always done in the same shitty way that makes me puke. They're made all dramatic and cheesy. Van Sant pretty much cut all the bullshit out of the process and made a real movie. There is no flash cutting while the shooters annihilate the school, we just watch everything go down from a distance, and it's far more horrifying than it would have been otherwise.

It's slow paced because we need to develop emotional connections to a whole class of students in only an hour. He wants it to feel like a lot longer than an hour. If you don't like the slow pacing, there's nothing I can explain or do for you, you just won't get it. Probably the same reason you don't like TWBB. I could watch a slow movie like Elephant or TWBB without getting even remotely bored, while I could sit there waiting for the end credits of a more up-beat film like Blindness.

The only things I didn't like were:

1) the shot where they're playing video games and sniping those people (made me feel like Van Sant was blaming video games for their actions)

2) sometimes not really realistic portrayals of high school kids but it was still better than the average attempt

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Dusk Til Dawn - Robert Rodriguez

First half of that movie? Awesome, I thought I was witnessing a true hit.

Second half of that movie? Embarassing to the point of ridiculousness.

I'm noticing a trend in this thread. Every movie I like, everybody else seems to hate. :P No matter what the movie is, what era it's from, what genre it is, how artsy it is, etc...

First half of that movie? Awesome, I thought I was witnessing a true hit.

Second half of that movie? Embarassing to the point of ridiculousness.

Did you mean to say "ridiculous to the point of embarassing?"

I liked how random it was. I had no idea that the movie had anything to do with vampires so it did a complete 180 on me. Just became a sort of Dawn of the Dead. I probably liked the second half more.

The Fly (with Jeff Goldblum) was Teh Gross! :P:wacko:

That's the one. Sooo many gross parts that will stick with me forever and the movie's 23 years old!

When he vomits that acidic stuff on the guy's wrist and leg... :lol:

Did you mean to say "ridiculous to the point of embarassing?"

I liked how random it was. I had no idea that the movie had anything to do with vampires so it did a complete 180 on me. Just became a sort of Dawn of the Dead. I probably liked the second half more.

I meant exactly what I said. It became embarassing. Then it got so embarassing it just got ridiculous. I know, opposite of the "norm" but it made you think. That's the idea.

It wasn't random so much as it was written by a schizophrenic. Seriously, two different people wrote that. Good writer who got sick, then crazy writer.

I'm noticing a trend in this thread. Every movie I like, everybody else seems to hate. :P No matter what the movie is, what era it's from, what genre it is, how artsy it is, etc...

going against the trend because...

I totally love this movie. I even own it. Same here, I didn't know the plot, so the vampire thing was amazing ! All the actors are quite good, Dany Trejo is amazing, Salma Hayek is hot, etc, etc, etc.

Nuts or silly doesn't necessarily mean dumb.

It's a reasonably intelligent movie, I find. Why does it matter if he was high while doing it?

It's a movie you're supposed to have fun while watching. It doesn't work if you're counting plot holes.

The 180 the movie took wasn't a plot hole, it was a plot black hole. I honestly think he either stapled together the beginning of one movie to the ending of another, or was so clueless and to where to go in the middle that he got high and decided vampires would be cool. It was like a story a 2nd grader wrote during journal time. You know, where you have like 20 minutes a day to write, so you can never finish a story in one day. You come back the 2nd day to finish a story, kinda forget where you were going, so go in a totally random direction that makes your teacher question your sanity, lol.

Every movie has haters and lovers.

The 180 the movie took wasn't a plot hole, it was a plot black hole. I honestly think he either stapled together the beginning of one movie to the ending of another, or was so clueless and to where to go in the middle that he got high and decided vampires would be cool. It was like a story a 2nd grader wrote during journal time. You know, where you have like 20 minutes a day to write, so you can never finish a story in one day. You come back the 2nd day to finish a story, kinda forget where you were going, so go in a totally random direction that makes your teacher question your sanity, lol.

Every movie has haters and lovers.

My point was that the goal of the movie is just for you to have a fun time, not to be taken seriously. Everyone involved realized that it was nuts and silly.

There are some awesome one-liners in this movie. There is stupid crazy and then there is Eminem or Tarantino crazy which isn't just random swearing or violence, but a controlled, "genius" craziness. Sure, an idiot could come up with the basic plot line, but since when did the plot line count for shit anyway? It's all about how it's pulled off; written, directed, acted, etc...

This movie - like all of Tarantino's scripts - is all about the dialogue. If you enjoy the dialogue, you probably enjoy the movie, and if you don't, you'll find the movie ridiculous (well, either way it's ridiculous). The plot twist is just Tarantino saying "Imagine a movie that's going one way and then... everyone turns into vampires! And then I can turn it into a great joke at the end." Again, you are supposed to find it ridiculous, and then like it for being ridiculous, instead of disliking it for being ridiculous. You have to join in on the joke and laugh with him. You've gotta lighten up. :P

Edited by BTH

One thing that is VERY VERY cool about From Dusk Till Dawn is the bonus features. The short movie/documentary/making of Full Tilt Boogie directed by Sarah Kelly. I really enjoyed it.

I meant exactly what I said. It became embarassing. Then it got so embarassing it just got ridiculous. I know, opposite of the "norm" but it made you think. That's the idea.

It wasn't random so much as it was written by a schizophrenic. Seriously, two different people wrote that. Good writer who got sick, then crazy writer.

I think you mean someone with dissociative identity disorder. Schizophrenics rarely have multiple personalities.

You have to join in on the joke and laugh with him. You've gotta lighten up. :P

I would have been happy to laugh, if it were funny or the least bit enjoyable.

Sure, an idiot could come up with the basic plot line, but since when did the plot line count for shit anyway? It's all about how it's pulled off; written, directed, acted, etc...

See, that's the source of most of our disagreements about movies. I personally don't think any amount of writing, directing, acting, etc. can save a bad plot (or at least one I don't care for). Take The Dark Knight, for example. I thought all those things were excellent, but I didn't care for the overall plot. I just didn't buy the plot and thought it reached for too much. The overall plot kept me from loving the movie. I left the theatre feeling like it was Spider-Man 3 plus good acting and directing that at least made it worthwhile.

I think you mean someone with dissociative identity disorder. Schizophrenics rarely have multiple personalities.

Honestly guys, I really, really, really did mean what I said. LOL

Honestly guys, I really, really, really did mean what I said. LOL

lol

Damn those movies penned by the reclusive split schizos... ^_^

See, that's the source of most of our disagreements about movies. I personally don't think any amount of writing, directing, acting, etc. can save a bad plot (or at least one I don't care for). Take The Dark Knight, for example. I thought all those things were excellent, but I didn't care for the overall plot. I just didn't buy the plot and thought it reached for too much. The overall plot kept me from loving the movie. I left the theatre feeling like it was Spider-Man 3 plus good acting and directing that at least made it worthwhile.

take any basic plot line and have a million different groups of people use it to write a million different scripts that lead to a million different movies. the movies will vary considerably in quality. some will be horrible pieces of shit, some will be masterpieces.

this will be true no matter what the plot line in question is.

any plot line can lead to a fantastic movie - some are just harder to film or require more effort to turn into fantastic movies. if this is fact, then the plot becomes nothing more than a canvas upon which to slap everything else on.

therefore, you may as well judge a movie by its genre. it makes about as much sense.

failing to see beyond the plot is nearly as shallow as movie watching gets.

in reality, there is no such thing as a bad plot; the "bad" ones are the ones I labeled as "harder to film or those that require more effort to turn into fantastic movies." for instance,

Plot X: the journey of a bumblebee as it explores the beautiful scenery of Abitibi-Témiscamingue, has an epiphany, and realizes that his great aunt edna was killed by a rare form of gum disease. (filmed with a real-life bee that does not speak any recognized human language)

there is no reason why that couldn't turn out to the greatest movie of all time... that being said, whoever the people are that are working on it, have their work cut out for them. if this proves true, the film will be shit. but it won't be shit because it had a "bad" plot. it will be shit because the authors (namely, the writer and director) weren't able to make anything worthwhile out of a plot that, indeed, was almost hopeless in the first place because of how difficult it is to work with.

it would be a bad - a horrible! and risky - choice of plot, but would the plot itself be bad? nope.

lmao.. I changed up my writing style for that post.

take any basic plot line and have a million different groups of people use it to write a million different scripts that lead to a million different movies. the movies will vary considerably in quality. some will be horrible pieces of shit, some will be masterpieces.

this will be true no matter what the plot line in question is.

any plot line can lead to a fantastic movie - some are just harder to film or require more effort to turn into fantastic movies. if this is fact, then the plot becomes nothing more than a canvas upon which to slap everything else on.

therefore, you may as well judge a movie by its genre. it makes about as much sense.

failing to see beyond the plot is nearly as shallow as movie watching gets.

in reality, there is no such thing as a bad plot; the "bad" ones are the ones I labeled as "harder to film or those that require more effort to turn into fantastic movies." for instance,

Plot X: the journey of a bumblebee as it explores the beautiful scenery of Abitibi-Témiscamingue, has an epiphany, and realizes that his great aunt edna was killed by a rare form of gum disease. (filmed with a real-life bee that does not speak any recognized human language)

there is no reason why that couldn't turn out to the greatest movie of all time... that being said, whoever the people are that are working on it, have their work cut out for them. if this proves true, the film will be shit. but it won't be shit because it had a "bad" plot. it will be shit because the authors (namely, the writer and director) weren't able to make anything worthwhile out of a plot that, indeed, was almost hopeless in the first place because of how difficult it is to work with.

it would be a bad - a horrible! and risky - choice of plot, but would the plot itself be bad? nope.

lmao.. I changed up my writing style for that post.

I know you consider yourself an expert on movies and the details involved in the making of films, but I can't agree with anything you said there.

If plot means jack and it could still become a good movie (and assuming "good" means also a box office draw that doesn't lose money on the project) then studio's wouldn't have to reject thousands of screen plays every month nor would they feel the need to be as picky when choosing a project to work on.

The reason for this is the general public not only wants to be entertained, but they also want to have something to follow, not a pretty way of filming a scene, or a dramatic use of lighting. The people who want to see that are few and far between, and that doesn't turn a profit, making the movie a flop.

The entire idea behind cinema is to entertain through story and do it in such a way that you can still apply the visuals that you want to portray. Many fans appreciate and notice the style and cinematography involved in scenes (myself being included) but that isn't enough to warrant the prices charged for theaters, dvd's or even rentals unless there is something else to it.

If it was all about imagry and perception the internet has billions of stills, clips, and projections to keep those few I referenced earlier satisfied.

I know you consider yourself an expert on movies and the details involved in the making of films, but I can't agree with anything you said there.

If plot means jack and it could still become a good movie (and assuming "good" means also a box office draw that doesn't lose money on the project) then studio's wouldn't have to reject thousands of screen plays every month nor would they feel the need to be as picky when choosing a project to work on.

The reason for this is the general public not only wants to be entertained, but they also want to have something to follow, not a pretty way of filming a scene, or a dramatic use of lighting. The people who want to see that are few and far between, and that doesn't turn a profit, making the movie a flop.

The entire idea behind cinema is to entertain through story and do it in such a way that you can still apply the visuals that you want to portray. Many fans appreciate and notice the style and cinematography involved in scenes (myself being included) but that isn't enough to warrant the prices charged for theaters, dvd's or even rentals unless there is something else to it.

If it was all about imagry and perception the internet has billions of stills, clips, and projections to keep those few I referenced earlier satisfied.

Woah, woah, woah.

MASSIVE difference between a plot and a script!

Plot = Ted wakes up one morning and decides his deepest ambition is to teach kids how to play tennis. He falls in love with one of the kids's moms.

That's it.

For some reason this debate reminds me of the writer's workshop Nick Cage goes to in Adaptation.. :lol:

Woah, woah, woah.

Plot = Ted wakes up one morning and decides his deepest ambition is to teach kids how to play tennis. He falls in love with one of the kids's moms.

That's it.

In that case, wouldn't they be referred to as "script holes" instead of "plot holes?"

Woah, woah, woah.

That's it.

Thery are one in the same.... a script contains the plot.

If the plot/storyline holds water the script can be manipulated by the studio to make the product they feel is necessary.

It's apples and oranges, not Brain Surgury and tying your shoes.

Thery are one in the same.... a script contains the plot.

If the plot/storyline holds water the script can be manipulated by the studio to make the product they feel is necessary.

It's apples and oranges, not Brain Surgury and tying your shoes.

They are not at all the same; like you said, the storyline is just one part of the script.

The plot doesn't take dialogue into account, for one thing. That alone is a massive difference. Think of movies like Pulp Fiction, Clerks, Juno, Pirates of the Caribbean, Reservoir Dogs... they are made by the dialogue. Imagine the plot for the movie Juno. Then the movie itself. Two totally different movies.

If Ingmar Bergman and James Cameron hear the same plot and then write their own script for said plot, and then make a movie out of this script... the films will be miles apart, no?

Fanpuck, you're thinking basically of a script (the story scene-by-scene) except without dialogue? That's a little more valuable, but still, any complete story could be made into a piece of shit or a great movie (be it through the writing or the direction or whatever else).

By the way, a good example to support my case would be crappy re-makes of great films that used the same plot but are not the same quality. The first one that comes to my head is Psycho.