Movies

habs_in_the_blood

John Hughes died yesterday!

(You guys probably know who he is, but if you don't, he's the one behind The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, Ferris Bueller, he wrote Pretty in Pink, ...)

I just think a plot is more complex than a general storyline, something that can be summed up in one sentence.

*shrug*

well, I think I originally said "basic plot line" which I meant to be a 30-words-or-less thing. But even if we're talking about complete stories (a list of all the plot points in the story), it has everything to do with style and little to do with quality. Like I said, best example is probably Psycho. Exact same storyline, some of the scenes are filmed shot-for-shot in the same way, much of the dialogue is the same ... yet one is regarded as a classic and one as simply a decent movie. Shows how many different important elements there are.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, I think I originally said "basic plot line" which I meant to be a 30-words-or-less thing. But even if we're talking about complete stories (a list of all the plot points in the story), it has everything to do with style and little to do with quality. Like I said, best example is probably Psycho. Exact same storyline, some of the scenes are filmed shot-for-shot in the same way, much of the dialogue is the same ... yet one is regarded as a classic and one as simply a decent movie. Shows how many different important elements there are.

I've been pretty clear that I agree with you that the acting, directing, etc. of a movie are very important. You can't have a great movie without them. My point is that those things are all wasted if the plot isn't good. Bad acting, directing, etc. can ruin a good story. This is why remakes, for the most part, suck. None of those things, however, matter to me if I don't like the story.

(You guys probably know who he is, but if you don't, he's the one behind The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, Ferris Bueller, he wrote Pretty in Pink, ...)

Home Alone too but he was more of an 80s guy.

Kinda sucks his last movie will be Drillbit Taylor. One of the worst movies I've ever seen.

I watched The Happening. Kinda liked it. But then I like M. Knight Shamalamaramaladingdong's movies, so I guess I'm biased.

I watched The Happening. Kinda liked it. But then I like M. Knight Shamalamaramaladingdong's movies, so I guess I'm biased.

By far his worst movie. It looked very interesting and started out very well. Unfortunately, the suspense just didn't build and the "big reveal" was just silly. It was also horribly acted, the characters weren't believable at all. By the end, I found myself actually rooting for their demise because I was so sick of them.

By far his worst movie. It looked very interesting and started out very well. Unfortunately, the suspense just didn't build and the "big reveal" was just silly. It was also horribly acted, the characters weren't believable at all. By the end, I found myself actually rooting for their demise because I was so sick of them.

This guy (M. Knight Shamalamaramaladingdong) is on a slide since a few movies.

This guy (M. Knight Shamalamaramaladingdong) is on a slide since a few movies.

I'm pretty sure thats why his next movie isn't an original idea and just an adaptation.

Yeah, none since Signs have been very good.

Signs wasn't even that great.

Yeah that sucks. I saw all his movies on Super Écran in the 80's. They were bid deals for kids our age, prepped us up for puberty. No wonder I grew up like John Bender and still want to f*ck any girls vaguely resembling Kelly LeBrock...

Yeah that sucks. I saw all his movies on Super Écran in the 80's. They were bid deals for kids our age, prepped us up for puberty. No wonder I grew up like John Bender and still want to f*ck any girls vaguely resembling Kelly LeBrock...

Ha ha ha!!!! +1

I saw District 9 this afternoon.

It was pretty good... kinda left me feeling like I did after The Village though.

Going to watch that one next week, I love alien stuff.

Saw "The Goods" today - surprisingly good, I assumed it would be a typical fail comedy, but there was one part in particular that had me in tears.