Movies

habs_in_the_blood

funny, i just saw it and hated it -- Tarantino has officially exhausted his creativity IMO and now simply reproduces Hitchcock, Lynch, Peckinpah et al. Disjointed, jarring and unbelievable -- some good acting and cinematography are not enough to make this flick work.

did really enjoy District 9 tho, well, until the third act . . .

What's wrong with any of the things you stated (apart from exhausting his creativity, which I don't think is true; believe me, his 90s films also took stuff from all different places)?

There's nothing wrong with paying homage to people that have inspired/influenced him. Most people do it, they're just more subtle about it. Tarantino's proud of his cinephilism.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's wrong with any of the things you stated (apart from exhausting his creativity, which I don't think is true; believe me, his 90s films also took stuff from all different places)?

There's nothing wrong with paying homage to people that have inspired/influenced him. Most people do it, they're just more subtle about it. Tarantino's proud of his cinephilism.

Yeah exactly. Should we shit on Scorcese and say that he exhausted his creativity because he directed The Departed which is a remake ???

Yeah exactly. Should we shit on Scorcese and say that he exhausted his creativity because he directed The Departed which is a remake ???

Well, there's a huge difference between a remake and what QT does, but yeah, Scorsese and most (all?) of the other greats have also referenced people and movies that they were impressed by - they just don't do it to the extent that Tarantino does it. In most cases, it's just something people slip in here and there; for Tarantino, it's one of the most important aspects of his style. Yet still, it takes creativity to do it, and then even more creativity to add his own stamp on it.

Yes. ;)

Seriously tho, I like Scorsese's version, but the original is better.

Inglourious Basterds was certainly very well done but I'm not sure I liked it as much as other people around here. I've just never been a crazy QT fan, although I do appreciate most of his work (I hated Death Proof)

Seen a few movies since I was last here, to be blunt, I loved them all.

Up In The Air (Quickly becoming a huge Jason Reitman fan)

The Hurt Locker *

Moon

(500) Days of Summer*

Jennifer's Body

Watchmen*

* means second viewing

All really good with the exception of Jennifer's Body which was still entertaining in a "I can't believe how bad this is" kind of way. Also have Y.P.F and The Lovely Bones waiting to be watched.

As for my favourite movie of 2009, I couldn't decide between Avatar, Up In The Air and The Hurt Locker. They're all so good but so different that it's hard to compare them. I ended up taking the cheap way out and went with a 3-way tie.

Edit: I called QT's Death Proof, Death Race. Not sure why. It did have a car though.

Edited by jetsniper

Zoolander.

You ever watch a car accident as it's happening where one car crushes the next and body parts are actually ripped asunder leaving arterial spray and video game-like results? That was Zoolander for me. So incredibly bad it defied believability and actually had me laughing like it was a car wreck video game.

What are you talking about Colin, Zoolander was awesome.

"What is this? A centre for ants? How can we be expected to teach children to learn how to read... if they can't even fit inside the building?"

I guess that's what I was trying to say. Zoolander was SO bad, it made me laugh and was awesome. It's a cult thing now. When my family (parents, sisters family and my family) went for pictures, my sister kept the two two-year-olds interested in looking at the camera by doing that pursed lip move all the time. What was it called? Anyhow, it was hilarious to do.

Inglourious Basterds was certainly very well done but I'm not sure I liked it as much as other people around here. I've just never been a crazy QT fan, although I do appreciate most of his work (I hated Death Race)

Seen a few movies since I was last here, to be blunt, I loved them all.

Up In The Air (Quickly becoming a huge Jason Reitman fan)

The Hurt Locker *

Moon

(500) Days of Summer*

Jennifer's Body

Watchmen*

* means second viewing

All really good with the exception of Jennifer's Body which was still entertaining in a "I can't believe how bad this is" kind of way. Also have Y.P.F and The Lovely Bones waiting to be watched.

As for my favourite movie of 2009, I couldn't decide between Avatar, Up In The Air and The Hurt Locker. They're all so good but so different that it's hard to compare them. I ended up taking the cheap way out and went with a 3-way tie.

Death Proof was not meant to be on the same scale as his other movies, he's admitted it himself. It's just a "oh, this is a cool idea" thing that he got out of the way between projects.

As for 09, I have Up in the Air which I'm going to watch soon (maybe today), but so far I liked Avatar, Inglorious Basterds and The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus. Oh, and I saw Watchmen last night and that's one of my favourites of the year (sadly, movies like Precious will get the Best Picture nod over it).

I don't think I could post all the movies I've sen in the past 3 weeks. I lost count at about 30.

Zoolander.

You ever watch a car accident as it's happening where one car crushes the next and body parts are actually ripped asunder leaving arterial spray and video game-like results? That was Zoolander for me. So incredibly bad it defied believability and actually had me laughing like it was a car wreck video game.

Zoolander is amazing, not even in a so-bad-it's-good way. It's just amazing. Blue Steel is my go-to picture pose.

"I'm bulimic!"

"...You can read minds!"

Death Proof was not meant to be on the same scale as his other movies, he's admitted it himself. It's just a "oh, this is a cool idea" thing that he got out of the way between projects.

Oh, I know that, I just threw that in there since I was already talking about QT. Loved Planet Terror, hated Death Proof, glad RR made a Machete movie.

And Planet Terror just reminded me of this but if you like the horror genre and are dissapointed with where it's gone lately in theaters, check out Trick R' Treat. It was a straight to DVD release that was originally supposed to be in theaters in 2007 but kept getting delayed. They were ready to franchise the main character and everything. I saw it at the Calgary Film Festival (yes, we have a film festival) and then bought it on DVD. Really, really good. Another of my 2009 favourites.

As for 09, I have Up in the Air which I'm going to watch soon (maybe today), but so far I liked Avatar, Inglorious Basterds and The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus. Oh, and I saw Watchmen last night and that's one of my favourites of the year (sadly, movies like Precious will get the Best Picture nod over it).

I don't think I could post all the movies I've sen in the past 3 weeks. I lost count at about 30.

Ooooh, Doctor Parnassus is still one I have to see. The Fantastic Mr. Fox too. They did increase the amount of movies nominated for Best Picture to ten but yeah, a nomination for Watchmen is still unlikely. Not that it really matters though. I thought it did a fantastic job of living up to the book but I noticed it popping up a lot on "Worst of '09" lists.

I loved the acting in Up In The Air, especially from George Clooney and Anna Kendrick (who I'm gonna be paying attention to now even though she's also in the Twilight movies). But yeah, like I said, becoming a big fan of Jason Reitman. So far I've loved all of his movies.

Edited by jetsniper

Ooooh, Doctor Parnassus is still one I have to see. The Fantastic Mr. Fox too. They did increase the amount of movies nominated for Best Picture to ten but yeah, a nomination for Watchmen is still unlikely. Not that it really matters though. I thought it did a fantastic job of living up to the book but I noticed it popping up a lot on "Worst of '09" lists.

I loved the acting in Up In The Air, especially from George Clooney and Anna Kendrick (who I'm gonna be paying attention to now even though she's also in the Twilight movies). But yeah, like I said, becoming a big fan of Jason Reitman. So far I've loved all of his movies.

Doctor Parnassus is really good - but I'm not the only one of my friends that really liked it. The entire cast is great (except for maybe Lily Cole, but she's really hot so no one cares) - Heath Ledger, Christopher Plummer, Tom Waits, Depp, Law and Farrell in small roles, Verne Troyer's hilarious.

Once I see Up in the Air, I'll make my top 10 of the decade list.

Had I read Watchmen I probably would have hated the movie. (I don't even like the LotR movies anymore because they butchered the books - and that's known as being a pretty faithful adaptation.) But the movie was awesome. I didn't understand everything though.

The Director's Cut of Watchmen on Blu-Ray is probably the best way of watching it, if you have the time. It's like 4 and a half hours long or something but it leaves nothing out from the comic. Every single thing is included.

Speaking of Verne Troyer, I only found out last night he was in the first HP movie. Did not know that, thought that was kind of funny. He played Griphook.

Speaking of Verne Troyer, I only found out last night he was in the first HP movie. Did not know that, thought that was kind of funny. He played Griphook.

Yes, but Warwick Davis (Flitwick) does the voice. And Davis is going to play both Griphook and Flitwick in DH.

Okay, I've seen Up in the Air (really good) and now I'll make my top 10 list of the decade.

1. There Will Be Blood (2007) - Paul Thomas Anderson

2. Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring (2004) - Kim ki-Duk

3. Inglourious Basterds (2009) - Quentin Tarantino

4. Avatar (2009) - James Cameron

5. Children of Men (2006) - Alfonso Cuaron

6. Downfall (2004) - Oliver Hirschbiegel

7. This is England (2007) - Shane Meadows

8. Man on Wire (2008) - James Marsh

9. City of God (2002) - Fernando Meirelles

10. The Hurt Locker (2009) - Katheryn Bigelow

In the running but didn't make it:

Requiem For a Dream, Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl, Amores Perros, Little Children, Little Miss Sunshine, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mine, and maybe Up in the Air, Punch-Drunk Love, The Incredibles.... I'm probably forgetting tons.

EDIT: I forgot about Downfall (Der Untergang)! *Changes list* I took off Requiem over my #10, Y Tu Mama Tambien, because although Requiem might be the better movie, the other one is more of a "favourite." Wow, so in the end, only three of them were made by American writer/directors.

Spider-Man 4 has been cancelled!

Maguire, Raimi, etc getting the boot!

Series getting rebooted, due out in May 2012!

BEST. NEWS. EVER!

So rather than simply recasting and hiring a new director, they're completely scrapping it? That's just ridiculous. Reboots are starting to get out of control. You don't need to start from scratch on a series as recent as the Spiderman movies. Sure, the 3rd one sucked, but that's no reason to dump the entire series. Recast and dump Raimi if you want a new direction. It's way to soon to go back to another origin story.

You reboot Batman because the last good Batman movie had been in the early-mid '90s. You reboot Star Trek because the last original cast movie was 1991 and the last good Trek movie period was in 1996. You even reboot the Incredible Hulk because it never got off the ground and people mostly hated the first movie. Rebooting a successful franchise this close to the last movie is just ludicrous.

And they want Spiderman to be gritty? I'll admit I don't know a lot about comic book characters, but I've never thought of Spiderman as a gritty or dark character. He's the friendly neighborhood Spiderman for goodness sake. Newsflash Hollywood - not everything has to be dark and gritty.

Well Marvel is rebooting X-Men and Fantastic Four as well so this fits. Superman is going to get a reboot as well. Theres nothing official but they have no choice.

Sony has been sitting on the reboot for a year because Sam Raimi was being difficult. He leaves, Tobey follows him and then Sony really had no choice but to scrap and start over. Dark and gritty? Hell yes Spider-Man can be dark and gritty. Origin story? No one has said that yet, just he'll be back in high school. Hulk was rebooted and skipped the origin story.

Venom can be done over, Goblin's shitty helmet can now be forgotten about, we can see people who actually fit the descriptions of Peter and MJ. Sandman can be made to not look so weak. No more organic web shooters! Peter can actually be made to look like a genius. Goblin can actually be the most psychotic person in the Marvel universe instead of some schizo.

The only shame here is that they can't reboot Spidey into the movie universe. A team-up movie with Cap would be sweeeeet. But seriously, comic nerds are rejoicing right now. It's a happy day!

Oh god, the script that got axed with this decision included Peter and MJ having a baby. A BABY. Thats like Superman Returns terribad. So glad this is happening!

Edited by jetsniper

Sony has been sitting on the reboot for a year because Sam Raimi was being difficult. He leaves, Tobey follows him and then Sony really had no choice but to scrap and start over. Dark and gritty? Hell yes Spider-Man can be dark and gritty. Origin story? No one has said that yet, just he'll be back in high school. Hulk was rebooted and skipped the origin story.

Reason for reboot: Raimi didn't think he could do the movie with the budget offered to him. Apparently $240M isn't enough.

Reason for reboot: Raimi didn't think he could do the movie with the budget offered to him. Apparently $240M isn't enough.

There are a lot of reasons but most of them involve Raimi being a difficult asshole. But I guess he wanted to go ahead with The Vulture/Vulturess thing and the studio said most fans would hate it. And of course the baby thing I already mentioned. I don't see how you can't do The Vulture with that budget though.

Well Marvel is rebooting X-Men and Fantastic Four as well so this fits. Superman is going to get a reboot as well. Theres nothing official but they have no choice.

Good grief, X-Men is getting a reboot? Aren't the origin movies enough? The others at least make some sense. Fantasic Four was lousy and didn't deserve a sequel and the original Superman movies were over 20 years ago and the new one didn't go over that great and didn't even earn back its production cost domestically. But stuff as recent and financially successful as Spider-man and X-Men? Give the current incarnations a new direction, don't start from scratch.

I wonder if they would have to start over if they hadn't done Venom such an injustice.

Edited by Fanpuck33

Ugh, this reboot has nothing to do with the third movie. The last few months have been Raimi and the studio arguing over who the villain should be. Neither would budge so Raimi walked and Tobey followed. Frankly what Raimi wanted to do sounded like a joke anyway. With the changes Raimi made to Spider-Man, a reboot is a far better decision. Trudging on anyway like you suggest Fanpuck puts us at a bigger risk of getting a Batman and Robin. Take a note from the comic community on this one Fanny, we're ecstatic. Director rumors have already popped up for David Fincher and James Cameron.

X-Men has about a billion different series done by Marvel (X-Force, Uncanny, Ultimate, First Class, Dark, X-Factor) and they're doing a new set of movies based on the First Class series. It's basically the X-Men as teens. Bryan Singer is back at the helm for the franchise. Because of the way the series is set up and how many people hated X-Men 3, it's being considered a reboot by Hollywood people. However it's probably more of a prequel.