Movies

habs_in_the_blood

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I estimate that I broke the 50 movie mark for my winter break. Still two and a half days left...

I suspect he'll get the nod. From what I hear, his adaptation is going to blow minds.

I can't see James Cameron wanting to do a Batman or Spider-Man movie. Is the rumour that they want him or that he wants to do it?

I estimate that I broke the 50 movie mark for my winter break. Still two and a half days left...

I can't see James Cameron wanting to do a Batman or Spider-Man movie. Is the rumour that they want him or that he wants to do it?

He's already got an outline, apparently.

James Cameron wrote a Spider-Man script in the 90s (it's floating around the internet, I've read it), he REALLY wanted to do a Spider-Man movie and was almost selected before Sony went with Sam Raimi. He was the only superhero he wanted to direct though. They interviewed him last weekend (at the Critic's Choice Awards, I think) and he said at this point it would be sloppy seconds so he wasn't interested anymore.

Anyway, Marc Webb (500 Days of Summer) was chosen to direct the new Spider-Man. The budget will be 80 mil, they're going to cast mostly unknowns and is going to take a lot from Brian Michael Bendis' work. Basically they're following the other Marvel franchises and are going to adapt the Ultimate universe of Spidey. Great news, when 616 Spidey was unbearable to read, you could always turn to Ultimate Spidey for some good stories. But then Jeph Loeb went and f*cked everything up.

Plus (500) Days of Summer was f*cking awesome.

Any Jim Jarmusch fans around here?

I think I've seen two of his movies, if memory serves me right.

The first one I saw was Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai I liked it. Forest Whitaker did a good job and it's an interesting story IMO.

The second one I saw was Night On Earth and it blew me away. Awesome movie. <3 <3 <3

I also tried to watch Coffee and Cigarettes but I just couldn't get into it. I don't like it when you have to force yourself to sit through something so I gave up on it. Maybe one day I'll give it another shot tho.

I have a couple of his other movies on DVD (Stranger Than Paradise, Down By Law and Mystery Train) but I haven't gotten around to watching them yet. I haven't been in the right mood.

I think I've seen two of his movies, if memory serves me right.

The first one I saw was Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai I liked it. Forest Whitaker did a good job and it's an interesting story IMO.

The second one I saw was Night On Earth and it blew me away. Awesome movie. <3 <3 <3

I also tried to watch Coffee and Cigarettes but I just couldn't get into it. I don't like it when you have to force yourself to sit through something so I gave up on it. Maybe one day I'll give it another shot tho.

I have a couple of his other movies on DVD (Stranger Than Paradise, Down By Law and Mystery Train) but I haven't gotten around to watching them yet. I haven't been in the right mood.

I've seen Ghost Dog, Down By Law and Stranger Than Paradise. Awesome, awesome and awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

Oscar nominations came out today, I was pretty close with my 10 guesses. Only ones I didn't get were The Blind Side and An Education (replace those with A Single Man and The Hangover) Anna Kendrick and Stanley Tucci were both nominated as well which I was glad to see. Neither will win (and honestly winning means jack shit) but I was glad to see the recognition.

Finally got around to seeing Synecdoche, New York today. Wow. Total mindf*ck of a movie, I loved it. Next up is New York, I Love You and then probably Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus since that just showed up on the internet last weekend. Really excited to see that one.

A movie with intelligence? Do explain!

It's kind of a hard movie to summarize, might want to read the wiki on it. If you know what Synecdoche means though, that should give you a hint. It's the first movie to give me the same feeling of "wtf" since watching Eternal Sunshine though (thats a very, very good thing). Great cast as well lead by Phillip Seymour Hoffman. That man can do no wrong.

It's kind of a hard movie to summarize, might want to read the wiki on it. If you know what Synecdoche means though, that should give you a hint. It's the first movie to give me the same feeling of "wtf" since watching Eternal Sunshine though (thats a very, very good thing). Great cast as well lead by Phillip Seymour Hoffman. That man can do no wrong.

Well, that's because they're both Charlie Kaufman! Also wrote Spike Jonze's first two movies Adaptation and Being John Malkovich. They're just as smart/creative/witty.

Avatar being the favourite for the Best Movie shows how much 2009 was sh.... year for Hollywood

I've been hearing The Hurt Locker mentioned quite a bit as the favourite. Me, I'm definitely pulling for Avatar. Such an amazing movie. It wasn't just a movie, it was an experience. I will say, though, that I hope District 9 manages to win one of the effects Oscars. It looked great for a movie made on a meager 30 million dollar budget - that deserves some recognition.

P.S. How does the Blind Side get nominated for best picture? It was a nice movie, but Oscar worthy?

Edited by Fanpuck33

Well, that's because they're both Charlie Kaufman! Also wrote Spike Jonze's first two movies Adaptation and Being John Malkovich. They're just as smart/creative/witty.

I know, thats why I was excited to see it in the first place! :D I love Adaptation too, Being John Malkovich is still one I have to get around to seeing.

Avatar being the favourite for the Best Movie shows how much 2009 was sh.... year for Hollywood

Avatar isn't the favourite at all. It's between Up in the Air and The Hurt Locker. Avatar would be a surprise.

I've been hearing The Hurt Locker mentioned quite a bit as the favourite. Me, I'm definitely pulling for Avatar. Such an amazing movie. It wasn't just a movie, it was an experience. I will say, though, that I hope District 9 manages to win one of the effects Oscars. It looked great for a movie made on a meager 30 million dollar budget - that deserves some recognition.

P.S. How does the Blind Side get nominated for best picture? It was a nice movie, but Oscar worthy?

I didn't think The Blind Side would get nominated at all, I've heard nothing but bad things with the exception to Sandra Bulllock. Honestly, The Hangover was more deserving or A Single Man. I even had Star Trek as a darkhorse ahead of The Blind Side.

Am I the only person who absolutely hated Avatar ?

Probably

I didn't think The Blind Side would get nominated at all, I've heard nothing but bad things with the exception to Sandra Bulllock. Honestly, The Hangover was more deserving or A Single Man. I even had Star Trek as a darkhorse ahead of The Blind Side.

I have nothing bad to say about The Blind Side, but I just didn't see it as a great movie. I enjoyed it and would watch it again, but it was no better than other good football movies like Rudy or Remember the Titans. I would have loved to see Star Trek get a nod, as it was right between Avatar and Up as my favorites of the year.

I have nothing bad to say about The Blind Side, but I just didn't see it as a great movie. I enjoyed it and would watch it again, but it was no better than other good football movies like Rudy or Remember the Titans. I would have loved to see Star Trek get a nod, as it was right between Avatar and Up as my favorites of the year.

That actually reminds me, The Blind Side just got totally ripped in the paper yesterday. I laughed the whole time I was reading the article.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Movies/Oscars/2010/201...711026-qmi.html

I think I'm the only person that hasn't seen it.

No, my friend hasn't seen it either. He also thinks he's the only person who hasn't seen it.

So don't worry, you're not alone!

That actually reminds me, The Blind Side just got totally ripped in the paper yesterday. I laughed the whole time I was reading the article.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Movies/Oscars/2010/201...711026-qmi.html

No, my friend hasn't seen it either. He also thinks he's the only person who hasn't seen it.

So don't worry, you're not alone!

Thank goodness! ^_^

I think I'm the only person that hasn't seen it.

Didn't see it. And I know lot of people who didn't.

But Obama's family went to see it in theatre. It was all over the news... :rolleyes: