Movies

habs_in_the_blood

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blind Side was a mediocre adaption of a story that works best in print, not film.

I'd encourage any football fan to read the book though, the Oher story isn't even the best part.

Agreed, I avoided the movie because I'm convinced that the movie can't hold up against the book. I would encourage anyone to read it, as well as many of Michael Lewis' other books (moneyball in particular).

Edited by nhfarber

rafikz, I actually think 2009 was a pretty solid year for movies and that's saying something coming from me. It had several movies that impressed me in some way - Inglourious Basterds, Avatar, The Hurt Locker, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, Watchmen, Up in the Air, An Education - plus some decent filler movies like I Love You, Man and Adventureland. And I say this before having seen Black Dynamite (you guys have probably never heard of this but check it out - it's neo-blaxploitation), A Serious Man, A Single Man, Precious (don't expect to like it), Invictus (don't expect to like it), The Blind Side (don't expect to like it), The Last Station, Antichrist, In the Loop, The White Ribbon, Crazy Heart........... and, for the filler movies, Star Trek, Terminator, Harry Potter (likely crap) and Drag Me to Hell.

The only year this decade that can mess with 09 is 07.

(I won't pay 10$ to see every new movie, so my thing is instead of watching all the movies by the Oscars, I watch them all by next year's Oscars. e.g. I've already demolished 07 and 08.)

I know, thats why I was excited to see it in the first place! :D I love Adaptation too, Being John Malkovich is still one I have to get around to seeing.

BJM > all the rest

Avatar isn't the favourite at all. It's between Up in the Air and The Hurt Locker. Avatar would be a surprise.

I don't think Avatar's a surprise - it's right up there with Up in the Air and The Hurt Locker. I actually expect it to win Best Picture (should be a lock for Best Director).

Yeah, surprise was the wrong word since I had Avatar tied with both as best movie of the year. But if you look at all the bigger awards shows, it's split down the middle between Up In The Air and The Hurt Locker. The Golden Globes was the first for Avatar and the Globes haven't been a good Oscar indicator in years. I think Kathyrn Bigelow has a pretty strong case for Best Director herself. The betting odds have her as the front runner.

It's easy enough to find screeners for all the Oscar movies on the internet too so you don't have to go to the theater for every movie. I do a pretty good job of seeing everything before the awards roll around.

And Half-Blood Prince was a pretty good step up from the last few. They changed some things around but I actually liked it. I wouldn't consider Drag Me To Hell filler either. Between that and Trick R' Treat, horror had some entries that brought it back a bit since the genre has been stale for decades now.

Yeah, surprise was the wrong word since I had Avatar tied with both as best movie of the year. But if you look at all the bigger awards shows, it's split down the middle between Up In The Air and The Hurt Locker. The Golden Globes was the first for Avatar and the Globes haven't been a good Oscar indicator in years. I think Kathyrn Bigelow has a pretty strong case for Best Director herself. The betting odds have her as the front runner.

It's easy enough to find screeners for all the Oscar movies on the internet too so you don't have to go to the theater for every movie. I do a pretty good job of seeing everything before the awards roll around.

And Half-Blood Prince was a pretty good step up from the last few. They changed some things around but I actually liked it. I wouldn't consider Drag Me To Hell filler either. Between that and Trick R' Treat, horror had some entries that brought it back a bit since the genre has been stale for decades now.

Kathryn Bigelow did a good job but Avatar is a once-in-a-decade performance. Had the film been live action, I still would have given Cameron the Oscar, but the technology he had to create/work with just makes it that much more impressive.

The Hurt Locker and Up in the Air are the typical types of movies to win these awards but this year there are atypical movies like Avatar and IB (should win Original Screenplay) that should be awarded.

By filler, I meant movies that are entertaining but not likely to win serious awards or get much credit is as more than just a "fun ride." I'll believe Harry Potter is decent when I see it.

I prefer to stream movies and not download them, and when I stream new movies there's always a risk of them having to buffer in middle. I was watching United 93 the other day and at a certain point it said that I'd watched 72 minutes and would have to register to see more. :rolleyes:

Black Dynamite will be THE SHIT !!!

It's been out for months already, just not in Montreal. My friend has it on his hard drive. Maybe now that I have a hard drive, I can grab all his movies.

It's been out for months already, just not in Montreal. My friend has it on his hard drive. Maybe now that I have a hard drive, I can grab all his movies.

Yeah, I know. It sucks. A friend and I were planning to go see it, but now i'm not even sure it will go to theatre anymore. Do you know if it will ??

same friend who wants me to see this movie :

Finally saw Avatar. It was good, but I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. Sure it's pretty and the FX are cool, but the story has been done so many times before.

The best part of the movie was when I realized that there were two people sleeping and snoring... One in the row in front of me and one in the row behind.

Finally saw Avatar. It was good, but I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. Sure it's pretty and the FX are cool, but the story has been done so many times before.

The best part of the movie was when I realized that there were two people sleeping and snoring... One in the row in front of me and one in the row behind.

It doesn't really matter how recycled the story is so long as it was executed better than in any of other films it was used in. Yeah, it's exactly like Pocahontas. But a hundred times better than Pocahontas.

Just look at it as a sort of remake.

It doesn't really matter how recycled the story is so long as it was executed better than in any of other films it was used in. Yeah, it's exactly like Pocahontas. But a hundred times better than Pocahontas.

Just look at it as a sort of remake.

See, I was thinking Ferngully lol.

I agree that it was executed well, but I look for more out of movies than that. I enjoyed it, but I found it adequate, nothing more.

I'm sure a lot of my opinion is a result of the high expectations I had from everyone talking about it like it was a life-changing experience.

lol Yeah. Exactly the same story.

See, I was thinking Ferngully lol.

I agree that it was executed well, but I look for more out of movies than that. I enjoyed it, but I found it adequate, nothing more.

I'm sure a lot of my opinion is a result of the high expectations I had from everyone talking about it like it was a life-changing experience.

Well, by "executed" I don't just mean the effects were nice, I mean that the storyline was used as the baseline for something that provided a far more enjoyable experience than Pocahontas/Ferngully/The Last Samurai/Dances With Wolves/etc. did. Partly because of how superior it is visually, partly because of the difference in the details that weren't mentioned on Doktor Kosmos's plot summary, partly because of the music, etc....

The story makes up about 10% of what Avatar is, so I can stand it being the least interesting part.

In 20 years, nobody will have heard of Ferngully and this story will be attributed to Avatar.

To me, Avatar was a perfect example of science fiction at it's best. It took real life stories and issues and expressed them in a completely new way. What is Star Wars but a '50s or '60s war movie in space? What is Alien but a horror movie in space? What is Star Trek but a social commentary in space?

Kathryn Bigelow did a good job but Avatar is a once-in-a-decade performance. Had the film been live action, I still would have given Cameron the Oscar, but the technology he had to create/work with just makes it that much more impressive.

Well I didn't say she deserved it just that you shouldn't consider Cameron a lock. Like I said, he's not even the odds-on favourite right now.

The Hurt Locker and Up in the Air are the typical types of movies to win these awards but this year there are atypical movies like Avatar and IB (should win Original Screenplay) that should be awarded.

I know and I hope I'm not sounding like I'm ripping on Avatar. I'm just skeptical that the Academy won't be elitist for once in their life. The last time a big budget movie that everyone loved won Best Picture was 2003 (and that was only because of pressure on the Academy not giving the award to the first two LOTR movies). Do I want Avatar to win? Yes, I do but I'm also a skeptic. I'd be fine with Hurt Locker or Up In The Air winning as well (although there might be a twinge of disappointment if Up In The Air won) but I do want Avatar to win before anything else.

By filler, I meant movies that are entertaining but not likely to win serious awards or get much credit is as more than just a "fun ride." I'll believe Harry Potter is decent when I see it.

So yeah, I'd still say Drag Me To Hell isn't filler. Star Trek too (I can't believe I just said that).

I prefer to stream movies and not download them, and when I stream new movies there's always a risk of them having to buffer in middle. I was watching United 93 the other day and at a certain point it said that I'd watched 72 minutes and would have to register to see more. :rolleyes:

Ah, I love downloading. I have a site where I can get whatever I want, throw it on my external hard drive which I connect to my PS3 and watch on my giant TV. Just finished watching Avatar now actually after downloading it on Friday. <3

Avatar had two streaks ended this weekend - it lost the #1 weekend gross for the first time since it came out and it failed to pass Titanic for the best 8th weekend of all time (after having set the record for weeks 2 through 6). A shame that weather kept it less than $200,000 from first place on that particular list. It easily would have broken it otherwise.

Yeah, I read that this morning. Of all the movies it could've lost #1 to, it was kind of disappointing it had to be to something as generic looking as that one.

I like Amanda Seyfried though.

Edited by jetsniper

Yo, Jets - I got a new hard drive, but I don't know what's up with it. I need it to work on Macs (at school) and Windows XP (at home). I partitioned it and set it up so that it runs fine on the Macs, but it doesn't work at home. When I bought it, the guy at Best Buy told me I'd have to reformat it to FAT32. He showed me how to do it on Wnidows 7 (it took him 2 seconds) but it isn't the same on XP. Do you know about this stuff?

I do but I'm more of a hands-on guy. I'm pretty useless at explaining this kind of thing over IM (just ask Maca, lol). I know that XP won't format a hard drive into FAT32 if it's more then 32 gigs though. Try typing it as a question into google, that usually brings up some pretty good guides. It's what I do when I get stumped. Plus it's been 2 years since I used XP so I don't remember it that well, haha.

In 20 years, nobody will have heard of Ferngully and this story will be attributed to Avatar.

Unless they remake it again.... with 3 times the budget and in 4-D... ^_^

I do but I'm more of a hands-on guy. I'm pretty useless at explaining this kind of thing over IM (just ask Maca, lol). I know that XP won't format a hard drive into FAT32 if it's more then 32 gigs though. Try typing it as a question into google, that usually brings up some pretty good guides. It's what I do when I get stumped. Plus it's been 2 years since I used XP so I don't remember it that well, haha.

Ah, well that would be news to the Best Buy guy. It's 500 gigs.

I wouldn't be surprised, big consumer chain employees generally don't know much. I went with my dad to get his last computer and caught the salesman just telling him completely random things that made no sense (it was at Futureshop)

There are work arounds though. Either by a third-party program or possibly through DOS (I wouldn't recommend that though unless you really know what you're doing)

First of all I saw Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus today. I thought it briefly started a tad slow but it really picks up. Overall a very, very good movie. It also furthered my belief that Terry Gilliam should take a shot at a comic movie. If it was in the fantasy genre, I think he'd do a great job. He was at one point supposed to do Watchmen but said it was "unfilmable"

And to delve into Marvel movies a little more, Anthony Hopkins (playing Odin in Thor) has confirmed the Asgardians won't be talking in Shakespearean. I never really expected they would because it would turn the mainstream audience off but I'm a bit dissapointed nonetheless. As for Cap, Joe Johnston has confirmed he will be cast this month. Theres apparently 6 actors in the running, three of them being Jensen Ackles (Supernatural), Chad Michael Murray (One Tree Hill) and Ryan McPartlin (Chuck). McPartlin would be cool just cause I'm a Chuck fan but he's too "broseph" and a little too old. I can hear him shouting "Avengers Assemble" and it doesn't sound right. Ackles has been the comic community favourite for a while now. I'll nerdrage if Chad Michael Murray gets it.

And after multiple delays, The Wolfman is finally FINALLY out this weekend. So psyched, I'm a big big fan of the werewolf genre. I'm glad theres a classical take on them after Twilight brutalized the myth.

And after multiple delays, The Wolfman is finally FINALLY out this weekend. So psyched, I'm a big big fan of the werewolf genre. I'm glad theres a classical take on them after Twilight brutalized the myth.

http://superbowlads.fanhouse.com/2010/dodg...ans-last-stand/

I too am sick of being forced to watch all this vampire crap. But the Dodge Charger is not my idea of a "last stand"

I've heard that they're making sequals to Ghostbusters and Mission: Impossible. :wacko:

Hell yeah, Ivan Reitman is back to direct and Bill Murray is

gonna be a ghost!

If it's anything like last summers game, it's gonna be sweet.

Oh and Chris Nolan is going to mentor the new Superman reboot. He won't direct but is gonna help out with it while also working on Batman 3. Daredevil is also joining the reboot club.

Edited by jetsniper