Movies

habs_in_the_blood

They never actually say they were cloning him, but they show it when Tesla tries the machine on the cat. The cat runs out and finds another identical cat, along with tons of copies of the hat they had been testing the machine on. That's how the trick worked. The machine cloned him and had a breakaway floor. The real guy fell through the hole and the clone appeared up in the audience. It's also why he got blind assistants and didn't want his partner below stage: each night he loaded the clone in a large box and disposed of it. He didn't want anyone to know he was cloning himself and then disposing of the clones.

As for the other magician, I don't think either one was really the original. I think they'd been teaming up all along, which is why he knew the Chinese magician's secret, because he was also faking much of his own life.

Wow... well they fooled me.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hehe, didn't you wonder about all the hats?

Yeah, when they first showed all the hats I knew what was happening but when Borger started using the machine for his act I comepletely forgot. I figured the machine was just doing its job by transporting him to the back of the audience.

Wow. That was enlightening.

:blink:

Haha... amazing how everyone talks about how great the ending is yet no one seems to actually understand it.

My personal favorite in the trilogy is definitely The Fellowship of the Ring. The feeling of entering that other world, the world of Middle Earth, lost it's magic in the second and third parts. I was especially impressed with the scene with the balrog, that was perhaps the highlight for me. I'm a bit indifferent about the hobbits, but I really liked the other main characters; Gandalf, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli grew as the trilogy progressed - and I really liked Sean Bean (Boromir) and Christopher Lee (Saruman). The orcs and trolls and such were magnificently done - mad props to the props department. ;)

I agree with you about the Fellowship, it was my favourite as well. I just felt that it seemed the most magical and the other two seemed to stray away from that. I think my favourite scenes were when Saruman began building his army of Uruk-hai and when the Fellowship arrived in Lothlorien. As for the characters, Frodo was handsdown my favourite character in the books, but I wasn't nearly as sympathetic to him in the movies. I really enjoyed Aragorn and Boromir though, I thought both were excellent choices.

I didn't really like Lock Stock. But my friend lent me Goodfellas, Man on the Moon and the pilot of Dead Like Me so I'm happy.

Haha... amazing how everyone talks about how great the ending is yet no one seems to actually understand it.

You see I didn't read all the "censored" stuff. I haven't seen the movie in question, but I figured if I end up watching it some time, I don't wanna know how it ends. So my previous post was just a joke. ^_^

I really liked The Departed. Pretty straightforward adaptation. Great show by Leo. What I liked very much about the movie was that Scorsese managed to transfer from the original was the stress and the tension that DiCaprio's character was constantly living under.

I agree with you about the Fellowship, it was my favourite as well. I just felt that it seemed the most magical and the other two seemed to stray away from that. I think my favourite scenes were when Saruman began building his army of Uruk-hai and when the Fellowship arrived in Lothlorien. As for the characters, Frodo was handsdown my favourite character in the books, but I wasn't nearly as sympathetic to him in the movies. I really enjoyed Aragorn and Boromir though, I thought both were excellent choices.

I don't know if parts 2 and 3 strayed from the feeling of magic - I think I just got used to it and it wasn't new and fresh in the 2nd and 3rd part.

I don't know if parts 2 and 3 strayed from the feeling of magic - I think I just got used to it and it wasn't new and fresh in the 2nd and 3rd part.

I think it's more or less the substance of the movie is more fantastic/magical. The Fellowship reminds me a lot of Willow while the other two were more like Braveheart meets Orcs.

I understood it and i think The Prestige is WAY WAY WAY better than the Illusionnist.

Mind explaining the last Hugh Jackman in the tank?

Gotta watch it once again cuz now i'm arguing with my friend... He got points, I got points...

My point was about Angier set 100 shows no more, no less and knew Borden would go backstage on the 100th because it was driving him crazy. But my friend just told me he doesn't think this show was the 100th...

gotta watch it again

Pssh, I never really liked Frodo. My favourite character was always Sam because he did all the work for Frodo but never got any credit. I mean he carried Frodo on his back all through Mordor and saved his life time after time. I never felt Frodo really did anything at all other than be the guinea pig that bears the ring.

Pssh, I never really liked Frodo. My favourite character was always Sam because he did all the work for Frodo but never got any credit. I mean he carried Frodo on his back all through Mordor and saved his life time after time. I never felt Frodo really did anything at all other than be the guinea pig that bears the ring.

Yeah but it's not like bearing the Ring was a piece of cake. It wasn't referred to as a burden for nothing. Another thing too, being a small person (plus I was 12 when I read it) helped me really relate with the hobbits and Frodo in particular.

my favorite characters will always be Aragorn and Gandalf. In the movies when Gandalf the White fight with a sword and his "how do we say "une canne" in english" this sequence is crazy !!!

Strider, Gandalf, Eomer, Gollum and Treebeard. Those were probably my favorite characters when I read the books.

Did anyone else ever having any problems understanding Treebeard? I only thought of that since DK mentioned him but for the life of me, I couldn't tell what he was saying most of the time.

Ehh, it wasn't bad. He just spoke really slowly, that's all.

Ehh, it wasn't bad. He just spoke really slowly, that's all.

Well sometimes it seems like the effects they put over his voice actually interfere with his speech to the point it's incomprehensible. At least it was for me, none of my friends had a problem, haha.

I forgot, my old favourite character was Tom Bombadil. Too bad they cut him out of the movie. They probably would have ruined him anyway.

Well sometimes it seems like the effects they put over his voice actually interfere with his speech to the point it's incomprehensible. At least it was for me, none of my friends had a problem, haha.

I had trouble understanding him too, but I blame the DVDs. The sound quality really did impair my viewing experience of the movies. I was constantly having to turn the volume up and down in the middle of scenes.

John Rhys-Davis lent his voice to Treebeard. What they did was they made him change the way he talks. Usually you talk as you exhale - Rhys-Davis was told to talk as he inhaled. That's the trick.

I was never a huge fan of Tom Bombadill. The way he acted was too annoying. The little detour doesn't really change anything in the overall story, so I can see why you'd cut it from a movie. Ralph Bakshi (sp?) did the same thing in his animated LOTR movie way back. I also have a radio play version, same thing there. Bombadill got the axe. That said, I have always wondered what he'd look like.

Edited by Doktor Kosmos