Movies

habs_in_the_blood

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the many awful books I had to read in 7th and 8th grade.

Consider yourself lucky that you only had to read the book. I had to read it, and then watch a high school play on it.

I just watched Across the Universe and really disliked it. I'm not going to get into it though because I have a feeling a lot of people on this board really loved it.

I enjoyed Across the Universe. Did it have plot holes...yeah. Was some of the acting bad...yeah. Was it a little campy...yeah. But it was a decent visual movie and fun to listen to them use the songs in different contexts.

I enjoyed Across the Universe. Did it have plot holes...yeah. Was some of the acting bad...yeah. Was it a little campy...yeah. But it was a decent visual movie and fun to listen to them use the songs in different contexts.

I enjoyed hearing the songs - Being For the Benefit of Mister Kite (sang by Eddie Izzard) was the only one that I felt they butchered, which is really a pretty good job. But Evan Rachel Wood, was too awful for me to enjoy the movie, and overall there was really nothing else to go along with the music.

But the reason why I'm posting in this thread...

I saw Pretty in Pink yesterday and I loved it. John Hughes is really great - you can tell that he really understands things and is probably speaking from experience, not just guessing what his teenage characters are thinking.

I can't wait to watch Harold and Kumar 2: Escape from Guantanamo Bay.

I enjoyed hearing the songs - Being For the Benefit of Mister Kite (sang by Eddie Izzard) was the only one that I felt they butchered, which is really a pretty good job. But Evan Rachel Wood, was too awful for me to enjoy the movie, and overall there was really nothing else to go along with the music.

But for all the bad songs sung there were alot of good ones.

Happiness is a warm gun

Let it be (very good)

I am the walrus

and a few others were done very well

I rent Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance today. I'll be watching it this weekend.

I heard (and looked on imdb.com) that this is the 1rst part of a Chan-wook Park trilogy about Vengeance, 2nd Oldboy and 3rd Sympathy for Lady Vengeance.

ALSO, check this out for the top 10 of most corrupetd cops in movies. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/street_kings/news/1720918/

you have to switch pages at the top to see the others...

I can't wait to watch Harold and Kumar 2: Escape from Guantanamo Bay.

:lol: Sweet

Can't wait for that one !!

ALSO, check this out for the top 10 of most corrupetd cops in movies. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/street_kings/news/1720918/

you have to switch pages at the top to see the others...

Sweet, thanks for posting that! I enjoyed reading that.

Glad to see James Cromwell at #2. Being a big James Ellroy fan, I think they did a very good job adapting L.A. Confidential into a movie. Best noir from the last couple decades I've seen.

But for all the bad songs sung there were alot of good ones.

Happiness is a warm gun

Let it be (very good)

I am the walrus

and a few others were done very well

Leon the Professional at #3. :clap:

My favourite action movie of all time. Natalie Portman is awesome as a 12 year old.

Edited by BTH

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Juno. GREAT movie. We can't really compare NCFOM and Juno, but just in terms of "watching pleasure" Juno wins. I had a really good time.

Saw Juno. GREAT movie. We can't really compare NCFOM and Juno, but just in terms of "watching pleasure" Juno wins. I had a really good time.

I've been a big Ellen Page fan for a few years now and I'd been following Juno almost a year before it was released and was excited for it. It didn't dissapoint and I was glad it saw the success that it did. Obviously I got the DVD the day it was released too. People complain the dialogue is unrealistic but thats part of what makes it so entertaining to me.

I've been a big Ellen Page fan for a few years now and I'd been following Juno almost a year before it was released and was excited for it. It didn't dissapoint and I was glad it saw the success that it did. Obviously I got the DVD the day it was released too. People complain the dialogue is unrealistic but thats part of what makes it so entertaining to me.

exactly. why would we always have to watch movies about "realistic" stories ? I heard the same complaint against V for Vendetta ( one of my personnal fav).

Crazy/funny/unusual characters are HOT !!!!

Anatomy of a Murder (1959)

Now I am not the greatest James Stewart fan in the world. I like him fine, pretty much in fact, but there's always been something about him that does not appeal to me. I can't tell exactly what it is I don't like. Like I said I do like him pretty much, just not to the point where I think he's the greatest actor who ever lived. Maybe that's it, my impression that he is considered the best ever.

So... why am I writing all of this? Well I guess I just want to establish that if there is a certain number of people who absolutely adore Jimmy Stewart more than anything else in the world, I am not one of those people.

But this was one brilliant movie in my honest opinion. Had a great cast, an exciting story, and (and this came as a pleasent surprise to me) a good deal of comic relief - this movie had more solid laughs in it than most 21st century comedies. Maybe that's why I found it to be so endearing.

Seems to me that court room movies is a pretty popular genre in America. And that is fully understandable when the genre can look back at a history of films like this one, I am sure this particular movie has helped make the genre popular. I myself often like these types of movies. I think that one of the things I like about them is the arguing and the reasoning, I've always enjoyed that and the philosophical side of it. And I must admit I often fall for the plot device of having things turn out right for those who have been wronged (I don't know if this is the correct choice of words, if it is not then I'll use the language barrier defense). Anyway, seems like this might very well be where many of the clichés come from.

Unfortunately many movies in this genre do seem predictable and predictibility is not something I like. I did not find this movie predictable though and that was one reason why I liked it.

This movie has strengthened my resolve to continue in my pursuit to cross more movies off the "1001 movies you must see before you die" list inspired by the anthology I may or may not have referred to in the past. Come to think of it, I wonder how many of them I have seen and how many are still left to be crossed off the list.

Earlier this week I tried West Side Story, but I just couldn't sit through it. I can not and will not watch every movie on the list. Musicals for example is not a favourite genre of mine and I will not watch Dirty Dancing, Moulin Rouge or Clueless no matter how many must-see lists they appear on or how many attractive actresses they feature.

I will however not hesitate for a moment to seize the opportunity if I get the chance to see To Kill A Mockingbird or 12 Angry Men.

Clueless was on a must see list? I remember not liking it when I first saw. And I was like...8.

Summer movie season kicks off this weekend with Iron Man. I know Joe is just as excited as I am! :lol:;)

sure, i can't wait for another classic à la Hulk... :lol:

Looking forward to seeing that and a whole load of others. Like Harold and Kumar.... I have a friend that looks like Kal Penn. THAT'S RIGHT SUCKERS!! :unsure:

I don't like Juno at all. I thought it was a decent comedy but I have resentment for it because all my friends overrate and hype it up way over its head. I think it's a good movie if you're looking at it as a comedy - but if you're nominating it for Best Picture... :puke:. People shouldn't take it seriously as a serious movie, because it is obviously unrealistic (not the dialogue, but things like her apathetic attitude towards her pregnancy) and all the unrealistic bits are thrown in for comedy.

IMO it's no better than Knocked Up or 40 Year Old Virgin and neither of them ever got hyped up in the same way.

@Doktor: haha I love Jimmy Stewart, he used to be my favourite classic actor (my favourite alltime is Johnny Depp) and I think he has the best resume of movies of any actor of all time - I think De Niro is the only one who can compete with him for that. But now I think that Marlon Brando is the greatest of all time - I recommend Last Tango in Paris by Bernardo Bertolucci - but beware, if you know don't anything about Bertolucci - he makes very erotic (yet artistic) movies. But I think Brando's performance in that movie is even better than his performance in The Godfather which he made in the same year. One of the most amazing jobs I've ever seen done in a movie.

You mean you haven't sean To Kill a Mockingbird or 12 Angry Men yet!? I liked the books more than the movies but they're must-sees. Of the other movies you listed I enjoyed Moulin Rouge, kind of liked West Side Story and thought Dirty Dancing (and the second one too) were crap.

I've got Magnolia and Ed Wood rented, my friend lent me a whole bunch and my aunt too but most of the ones she lent me are B-rate movies that I'm not that interested in seeing.

I've seen two of Bertolucci's movies: The Last Emperor and Novecento (a.k.a. 1900).

No I have not seen To Kill A Mockingbird, but I have read the book (and it was one of the best I've ever read). It's not as well-known in Sweden as it is in America.

I like Jimmy Stewart and I really like many of the movies I've seen him in (mostly HItchcock movies and westerns). I just don't consider him THE greatest actor in the world. That doesn't mean I do not hold him in very high regards. I'm doing my best to spell it out, I don't want there to be any misunderstandings.

I've seen two of Bertolucci's movies: The Last Emperor and Novecento (a.k.a. 1900).

No I have not seen To Kill A Mockingbird, but I have read the book (and it was one of the best I've ever read). It's not as well-known in Sweden as it is in America.

I like Jimmy Stewart and I really like many of the movies I've seen him in (mostly HItchcock movies and westerns). I just don't consider him THE greatest actor in the world. That doesn't mean I do not hold him in very high regards. I'm doing my best to spell it out, I don't want there to be any misunderstandings.

I do know what you mean, he never really stands out as being exceptional - yet his movies are always great. A modern comparison would be Leonardo DiCaprio. Aside for What's Eating Gilbert Grape where he delivered one of the greatest performances possibly ever, he's basically been good - but not great - in great movie after great movie, so that now he has a really impressive resume, just like Stewart did.

I do know what you mean, he never really stands out as being exceptional - yet his movies are always great. A modern comparison would be Leonardo DiCaprio. Aside for What's Eating Gilbert Grape where he delivered one of the greatest performances possibly ever, he's basically been good - but not great - in great movie after great movie, so that now he has a really impressive resume, just like Stewart did.

That's exactly what I'm taling about. ^_^