Movies

habs_in_the_blood

picard-no-facepalm.jpg

:lol:

seriously BTH, if you watch movies in regards of what the press say : you'll always be dissapointed. They gave 1 star out of 5 for Naked Gun 3 1/3, see how they're dumb... :P

and for Jets : if Iron Man manage to be as entertaining than 2 first Spiderman, then it will be nice enough for me to rent it... or just wait for it to play on TV...

no kiding, first 2 Spiderman are good.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

seriously BTH, if you watch movies in regards of what the press say : you'll always be dissapointed. They gave 1 star out of 5 for Naked Gun 3 1/3, see how they're dumb... :P

and for Jets : if Iron Man manage to be as entertaining than 2 first Spiderman, then it will be nice enough for me to rent it... or just wait for it to play on TV...

Yep, I liked 2 better then 1 but they were both fantastic IMO. Makes Spider-Man 3 that much more depressing to think about.

IIRC, you told me you weren't familiar with the Iron Man character so if the current hype stands up, you should check it out, I think you'd like Tony Stark. Downey Jr. said he asked for an audition because he was a fan of Iron Man since he was kid so theres potential for him to do the character. Honestly, the only thing I'm hesitant with here is the directior but he's shown to be a good fantasy director with Zathura. Apparently Sam Jackson's cameo as Nick Fury got cut though so that kinda sucks. Theres a rumor they're going to try and stick it in The Incredible Hulk but thats a long shot. And that one has me worried, I'm not as excited about Hulk as I am with Iron Man. They've made some odd choices with it so who knows how that turns out. If it's as moderately decent as FF 2 was then I'll be fine with that.

Soooooo, I didn't mean to go on that long about comic movies (and still have more to say but I won't get into it unless you really want me to Joe) but on the subject of Downey Jr., I really want to see Tropic Thunder.

*shrugs* if you find Juno out of the league of other comedies like Knocked Up, that's your business. I have no problem with people loving it as a comedy, but if you are going to take it seriously and compare it to other Best Picture nominees, it is no better than average. The overall acting is mediocre (I'm looking at you, Jennifer Garner), the story is totally unbelievable and there is really very little in the script to take seriously. Juno's reaction to her prengancy is apathy, she just shrugs it off and jokes about it - the entire cast seems to feel the same way, her parents don't care at all, it doesn't seem to surprise them or her best friend. Now, like I said, those things were done on purpose because it makes the movie funny. And the director (and scriptwriter/prostitute Diablo Cody) understand full well that these things are not realisitic and will take away from the credibility of the film - yet they do it anyway. It doesn't make the movie any worse, but it is a direct statement to the audience that it is only a comedy and that we shouldn't take it seriously or worry about little details like the things I've mentioned above.

So Juno as entertainment - 3.5 or 4 stars out of 5, Juno as a serious movie - 3 out of 5.

Of course, I wouldn't care so much if it weren't nominated for a couple of important Oscars.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, I saw Iron Man last night and it's taken over from Spider-Man 2 as my favourite comic movie ever. They basically nailed every aspect they possibly could.

And even for people who, for some reason, value others opinions....the critics all love it.

Oh wait, I guess I should warn people who do go see it, although this might be too late now

Theres an extra scene after the credits that you reallllly need to stay for. If you missed it though, theres about a billion of them on youtube from people with camera phones. Just search "Iron Man Nick Fury"

Oh wait, I guess I should warn people who do go see it, although this might be too late now

Theres an extra scene after the credits that you reallllly need to stay for. If you missed it though, theres about a billion of them on youtube from people with camera phones. Just search "Iron Man Nick Fury"

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up.

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up.

No problem, I was lucky enough to be warned by the people who saw the afternoon showings on Friday. You can kinda guess what is by the search term I gave though. Although it's really not a big deal if you have no idea who The Avengers are.

Iron Man was crazy good though.

Iron Man Tops 100 mil

Shit yeah, can't wait for Iron Man 2. Favereau said he'll explore Stark's alcoholism + Howard will debut as War Machine. If Favereau can find some random reason to throw Fin Fang Foom in, I'll be ecstatic.

Marvel has to be shitting bricks right now, this is way beyond what they were expecting. My own guess was around 60 mil.

Iron Man Tops 100 mil

Shit yeah, can't wait for Iron Man 2. Favereau said he'll explore Stark's alcoholism + Howard will debut as War Machine. If Favereau can find some random reason to throw Fin Fang Foom in, I'll be ecstatic.

Marvel has to be shitting bricks right now, this is way beyond what they were expecting. My own guess was around 60 mil.

shouldn't be too hard for Downey Jr to play it... :lol:

he looks freaking historical in that movie where he's playing a black guy. lol

Yeah, I mentioned that movie, Tropic Thunder.

He plays a white guy who is convinced he can play a black character better then a black person can.

Watched Good Will Hunting today, amazing movie - hadn't seen it in ages.

I just "got" Chinatown as well, going to check it out later tonight.

he looks freaking historical in that movie where he's playing a black guy. lol

lol I'd like to see him play in more movies like Good Night, And Good Luck. Movies like Tropic Thunder don't really show off your acting ability.

Downey had drug abuse problems, he wasn't an alchoholic. (although he's turned his life around since then)

Technicalities, I know.

yeah and since when i smoke, i definitely doesn't want to drink and vice versa, you got the point.

Watched Good Will Hunting today, amazing movie - hadn't seen it in ages.

I just "got" Chinatown as well, going to check it out later tonight.

true. bought it at 2 movies for 20$ at HMV last year.

Modern Times

:)

yeah and since when i smoke, i definitely doesn't want to drink and vice versa, you got the point.

true. bought it at 2 movies for 20$ at HMV last year.

Chinatown - possibly the best film noir ever made. :B)

Modern Times

:)

Chinatown - possibly the best film noir ever made. :B)

It's one of the next ones I need to see.

My break is over in about a week, when I'm done, I'll write a list (and my review) of all the movies I've seen over it. Ranging from classic, to superhero movies, to anime, ...

Sneek peak - get your hands on Magnolia ASAP. It's a hate it or love it movie but I definitely love it. PT Anderson is one of the most talented modern directors and I think that this is his masterpiece right now even moreso than There Will Be Blood (which I thought was a great effort but didn't turn out as wonderful as most people say)

the next Tarantino : Inglorious Bastards (2010)

the few next Rodriguez movies : http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001675/ (including Machete as well as Sin City 2 & 3...)

tne next John Woo : Red Cliff (2008)

the next Tarantino : Inglorious Bastards (2010)

the few next Rodriguez movies : http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001675/ (including Machete as well as Sin City 2 & 3...)

tne next John Woo : Red Cliff (2008)

I'm kinda sad Jolie isn't going to play Ava, she was perfect for the role (and has that kind of aura which would fit the Sin City world very well). I'm a big fan of Rachel Weisz as well though but not sure how well she can pull off Ava.

Speaking of the whole comic world, Marvel recently updated their movie outlook

The Incredible Hulk - June 13th, 2008 (Not optimistic about this. Norton and Marvel have apparently clashed multiple times)

The Punisher: War Zone - December 5th, 2008 (I'm gonna miss Tom Jane, he had Frank Castle down to a tee)

Wolverine: Origins - May 1st, 2009 (The casting in this has been a joke. Taylor Kitsch as Gambit? Ryan Reynolds playing Deadpool? Give me a break)

Iron Man 2 - April 30th, 2010 (Thor will be introduced here)

Thor - June 4th, 2010

The First Avenger: Captain America - May 6th, 2011

The Avengers - July 2011

Ant-Man is also in development and Spider-Man 4 is currently in the rumor stages. The word right now is that Marvel is waiting for their contract with Sony to run out so that they can bring the franchise under their own studio. They apparently weren't happy with Spider-Man 3 at all either.

I'm kinda sad Jolie isn't going to play Ava, she was perfect for the role (and has that kind of aura which would fit the Sin City world very well). I'm a big fan of Rachel Weisz as well though but not sure how well she can pull off Ava.

Speaking of the whole comic world, Marvel recently updated their movie outlook

The Incredible Hulk - June 13th, 2008 (Not optimistic about this. Norton and Marvel have apparently clashed multiple times)

The Punisher: War Zone - December 5th, 2008 (I'm gonna miss Tom Jane, he had Frank Castle down to a tee)

Wolverine: Origins - May 1st, 2009 (The casting in this has been a joke. Taylor Kitsch as Gambit? Ryan Reynolds playing Deadpool? Give me a break)

Iron Man 2 - April 30th, 2010 (Thor will be introduced here)

Thor - June 4th, 2010

The First Avenger: Captain America - May 6th, 2011

The Avengers - July 2011

Ant-Man is also in development and Spider-Man 4 is currently in the rumor stages. The word right now is that Marvel is waiting for their contract with Sony to run out so that they can bring the franchise under their own studio. They apparently weren't happy with Spider-Man 3 at all either.

You know what I think about all of this right? This is called : making a movie for making a movie. I'm really not into comic books, etc but I've heard about Punisher, Iron Man, even Avengers, but WHO and WHAT THE HELL is ANT-MAN ?!?!

I was thinking : '' his powers can't be worse than Daredevil..."

after a Wikipedia search, let me find out that Ant-Man powers and abilities are : ''All three bearers of the Ant-Man sobriquet have had the ability to reduce their size though methods of activating the power varied, including exposure to a gas, taking a tablet, or mentally commanding their body to shrink. Henry Pym designed and wore a helmet which gave him the ability to communicate with ants through cybernetic interfaces that are built into the helmet. These interfaces have also been built into larger devices, and utilized by Lang and O'Grady.''

WTF ?!?!

Ant-Man can shrink too. Honestly, he's an important character because he introduces Hank Pym who goes on to be Giant Man (part of The Avengers) and then Yellowjacket. Whats really dumb though is they're going to focus on Scott Lang who basically has no importance at all.

So I kind of agree with you. Ant Man is really serving no purpose at all and as a character, he's not that interesting (not the Scott Lang one anyway). The attack of the ants has ended up in some hilarity though but the movie apparently isn't even going to be a comedy.

So Ant Man could kind of work towards The Avengers movie as well but signs right now point to a no. And it's also called making a movie for a large fan base who wants to see said movie. You said the same thing about Iron Man and it didn't exactly bomb, now did it?

Ant-Man can shrink too. Honestly, he's an important character because he introduces Hank Pym who goes on to be Giant Man (part of The Avengers) and then Yellowjacket. Whats really dumb though is they're going to focus on Scott Lang who basically has no importance at all.

So I kind of agree with you. Ant Man is really serving no purpose at all and as a character, he's not that interesting (not the Scott Lang one anyway). The attack of the ants has ended up in some hilarity though but the movie apparently isn't even going to be a comedy.

So Ant Man could kind of work towards The Avengers movie as well but signs right now point to a no. And it's also called making a movie for a large fan base who wants to see said movie. You said the same thing about Iron Man and it didn't exactly bomb, now did it?

well comon' Iron Man is WAY BIGGER than Ant-Man, doesn't it ?

well comon' Iron Man is WAY BIGGER than Ant-Man, doesn't it ?

Hey hey, I agreed with you on Ant Man, haha.

I'm talking about stuff like Captain America and Thor.

(and yes, Ant Man is an extremely minor character. It's like making a movie about the current Penguins team and focusing on Georges Laraque)

Hey hey, I agreed with you on Ant Man, haha.

I'm talking about stuff like Captain America and Thor.

(and yes, Ant Man is an extremely minor character. It's like making a movie about the current Penguins team and focusing on Georges Laraque)