Movies

habs_in_the_blood

lol

I'd never heard of Ant-Man but he can't be any worse than Elektra, can he? I hope the directors start taking these movies seriously, with Iron Man's success (not that I liked it), it's starting to look like just about any superhero is guaranteed to make a whole lot of money at the box office. I think Thor, Captain America and Wolverine could be cool if done well, I really don't know much about the others, and I have some hope for The Incredible Hulk only because Ed Norton is possibly the best actor ever to star in a superhero movie.

Joe, I don't think Inglorious Bastards will be much good. Tarantino's movies have really been going downhill, he's been experimenting a lot since his 90s hits. I'd prefer it if he just went back to his bread and butter.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aren't many movies I'm waiting for right now. Basically just Public Enemies, Synecdoche, New York, The Hobbit and Burn After Reading.

Separated at birth?

e9vwoi.jpg

Douglas Murray, San Jose Sharks defenseman

23jgak9.jpg

Thing, defender of defenseless

Man I gotta say, I really enjoyed Ironman. Really liked Robert Downey Jr. in Zodiac and liked him even more in this. He really made the movie for me because I wasn't a big fan of the villain.

Can't wait for Dark Knight...

lol

I'd never heard of Ant-Man but he can't be any worse than Elektra, can he? I hope the directors start taking these movies seriously, with Iron Man's success (not that I liked it), it's starting to look like just about any superhero is guaranteed to make a whole lot of money at the box office. I think Thor, Captain America and Wolverine could be cool if done well, I really don't know much about the others, and I have some hope for The Incredible Hulk only because Ed Norton is possibly the best actor ever to star in a superhero movie.

Joe, I don't think Inglorious Bastards will be much good. Tarantino's movies have really been going downhill, he's been experimenting a lot since his 90s hits. I'd prefer it if he just went back to his bread and butter.

dunno, i personaly like when directors experiment. Was Kill Bill a downgrade after Reservoir and Pulp ? yes. but i liked it a lot.

dunno, i personaly like when directors experiment. Was Kill Bill a downgrade after Reservoir and Pulp ? yes. but i liked it a lot.

I like it too but I like it more when actors do it than directors. Personally, Res Dogs is one of my favourite movies (top 5) and Pulp Fiction has some of the best dialogue ever. Then he made Jackie Brown which was another step down but it was stilll a solid heist movie with more good dialogue. Kill Bill was fun but I don't think it even compares to his first two movies - so I'd liked to see if he can make more classics like those. Not many guys have the talent to, I'd wish the few who can would go along with it.

Anyone seen Into the Wild? I saw it last night and there's a chance that it overtook No Country for my favourite movie of 2007. I'll have to watch it again to know for sure, but I highly recommend it.

I keep meaning to because I really like Krakauer's stuff and I keep hearing the movie is really good (enjoyed the book). Because everyone is going on about how good it is, I'm hoping they make a movie based on Into Thin Air (book was fantastic)

I keep meaning to because I really like Krakauer's stuff and I keep hearing the movie is really good (enjoyed the book). Because everyone is going on about how good it is, I'm hoping they make a movie based on Into Thin Air (book was fantastic)

I hadn't read the book but I think I'm going to have to now. I didn't know anything about the story going in, except that it was about a man who lives in the wild. Great soundtrack by Eddie Vedder too (Pearl Jam)

• 2 weeks later...

Movies I watched over my break:

Alien

Aliens

Alien3

Alien: Resurrection

Alien vs Predator

Atonement

Sweeney Todd

The Savages

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

Iron Man

No Country For Old Men

On the Waterfront

All About Eve

Lawrence of Arabia

The Hunt For Red October

Patriot Games

Clear and Present Danger

The Sum of All Fears

In Good Company

Magnolia

The Terminator

Ed Wood

Mars Attacks!

The Killing

Cinema Paradiso

Walk the Line

Brokeback Mountain

3:10 to Yuma (2007)

Fahrenheit 9/11

Gladiator

Elizabeth

Shakespeare in Love

Terms of Endearment

Mighty Aphrodite

Blow

The Insider

The Crucible

Driving Miss Daisy

Cold Mountain

The Thomas Crown Affair (1968)

Miracle on 34th Street

The Elephant Man

Barton Fink

Princess Mononoke

Grave of the Fireflies

Ronin

These are the ones I can remember off the top of my head. The only ones I really liked were Magnolia, the Savages, Gladiator, Blow, Miracle on 34th Street, Lawrence of Arabia, Ed Wood and the Terminator. Other ones were obviously amazing, with classics like On the Waterfront and All About Eve on the list, as well as Barton Fink, The Insider and the first 3 Alien movies (yes, even David Fincher's) but none of those ones jumped out at as "wow! This is awesome/i]."

Doktor_Kosmos, if you haven't seen Lawrence of Arabia yet, I recommend it. It isn't one of my very favourites but it is probably the best movie I have ever seen (and I've seen just about everything that most people argue deserves the title of best movie of all time). On the Waterfront is great because Elia Kazan's cast puts on an acting clinic with Brando, Eva-Marie Saint, Karl Malden, Rod Steiger and Lee J. Cobb were all nominated for acting Oscars. All About Eve has some of the best dialogue ever put on the screen, as well as the greatest collection of female stars that you'll ever see in a movie. I actually also loved Miracle on 34th Street. A very happy and cheerful Christmas movie about believing in Santa Claus. All four of these are classics and I know you love watching those.

Next on my list are Chinatown, The Third Man, A Streetcar Named Desire, The Philadelphia Story, Heat and Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. There are a couple of foreign movies too but I don't think my video store has them so I probably won't wind up seeing them for a long time.

Iron Man was bloody brilliant.

I thought Indiana Jones was pretty good too, I don't know why everyone is complaing about

aliens

. Like The Ark or The Holy Grail are anymore outrageous.

Nothing will ever touch Raiders of The Lost Ark but Crystal Skull is definitely a contender to topple Last Crusade. Temple of Doom will always be last to me. As of now, it goes 1>4=3>2. I'll wait and see what kind of lasting effect Crystal Skull has on me.

I was pleasantly surprised with the Narnia sequel as well, I thought the first one was a little boring. Second one was pretty good and the final battle actually felt pretty epic this time around.

Movies I watched over my break:

Alien

Aliens

Alien3

Alien: Resurrection

Alien vs Predator

Atonement

Sweeney Todd

The Savages

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

Iron Man

No Country For Old Men

On the Waterfront

All About Eve

Lawrence of Arabia

The Hunt For Red October

Patriot Games

Clear and Present Danger

The Sum of All Fears

In Good Company

Magnolia

The Terminator

Ed Wood

Mars Attacks!

The Killing

Cinema Paradiso

Walk the Line

Brokeback Mountain

3:10 to Yuma (2007)

Fahrenheit 9/11

Gladiator

Elizabeth

Shakespeare in Love

Terms of Endearment

Mighty Aphrodite

Blow

The Insider

The Crucible

Driving Miss Daisy

Cold Mountain

The Thomas Crown Affair (1968)

Miracle on 34th Street

The Elephant Man

Barton Fink

Princess Mononoke

Grave of the Fireflies

Ronin

These are the ones I can remember off the top of my head. The only ones I really liked were Magnolia, the Savages, Gladiator, Blow, Miracle on 34th Street, Lawrence of Arabia, Ed Wood and the Terminator. Other ones were obviously amazing, with classics like On the Waterfront and All About Eve on the list, as well as Barton Fink, The Insider and the first 3 Alien movies (yes, even David Fincher's) but none of those ones jumped out at as "wow! This is awesome/i]."

Doktor_Kosmos, if you haven't seen Lawrence of Arabia yet, I recommend it. It isn't one of my very favourites but it is probably the best movie I have ever seen (and I've seen just about everything that most people argue deserves the title of best movie of all time). On the Waterfront is great because Elia Kazan's cast puts on an acting clinic with Brando, Eva-Marie Saint, Karl Malden, Rod Steiger and Lee J. Cobb were all nominated for acting Oscars. All About Eve has some of the best dialogue ever put on the screen, as well as the greatest collection of female stars that you'll ever see in a movie. I actually also loved Miracle on 34th Street. A very happy and cheerful Christmas movie about believing in Santa Claus. All four of these are classics and I know you love watching those.

Next on my list are Chinatown, The Third Man, A Streetcar Named Desire, The Philadelphia Story, Heat and Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. There are a couple of foreign movies too but I don't think my video store has them so I probably won't wind up seeing them for a long time.

You need to buy a gaming system too. I think you make your TV uncomfortable....

Oh and for stupid people going to see Sex And The City this weekend (it's pre-sold tickets are doing better then Indiana Jones)

http://www.sarahjessicaparkerlookslikeahorse.com

She does look like a horse. :blink:

However, that's not really a burn when you consider there's people like Alex snooping around this planet.

Here is my coming out .

I've never seen or was too young to actually see the movie the way I see movies now (*) :

any Indiana Jones

Goodfellas

Stars War 1 - 2 - 3* (well 4-5-6)

any Aliens

2nd half of Raging Bull

Shawshank Redemption

Schindler's list

Citizen Kane ( i actually felt asleep after 20 minutes and decided not to starting over)

any Stantley Kubrick but Eyes wide shut and Shining

Jaws *

Blade Runner*

Ben Hur

Gone with the wind

Ed Wood

AAAAHHHH feel better now i said it loud. Waiting to take some shots from you guys :)

Here is my coming out .

I've never seen or was too young to actually see the movie the way I see movies now (*) :

any Indiana Jones

Goodfellas

any Aliens

2nd half of Raging Bull

Shawshank Redemption

Schindler's list

Citizen Kane ( i actually felt asleep after 20 minutes and decided not to starting over)

Jaws *

Blade Runner*

Ben Hur

Gone with the wind

Ed Wood

AAAAHHHH feel better now i said it loud. Waiting to take some shots from you guys :)

I've seen all of those except Gone With the Wind (and the new Indiana Jones movie which I don't plan on seeing in theatres).

I'm not really a big fan of most of those but I do like and own the original Star Wars trilogy and love Kubrick (try Full Metal Jacket, Dr. Strangelove and A Clockwork Orange next).

I actually also saw Citizen Kane when I was young and thought it was boring. Wouldn't mind seeing that again.

Doktor_Kosmos, if you haven't seen Lawrence of Arabia yet, I recommend it. It isn't one of my very favourites but it is probably the best movie I have ever seen (and I've seen just about everything that most people argue deserves the title of best movie of all time).

I saw it about two months ago, didn't I post about it? I think I did but it might have slipped my mind. I loved it too. I can certainly see why it has had such an impact on the movie business.

That's a lot of great movies you've seen BTW. For example The Insider and Barton Fink - I love the Coens.

Next on my list are Chinatown, The Third Man, A Streetcar Named Desire,

And you're in for a couple of more great ones. :B)

I envy you. Those are the kind of movies I love the most to see; the ones that you wish you could watch again for the first time (if you know what I mean).

Edited by Doktor Kosmos

Here is my coming out .

any Indiana Jones

Goodfellas

any Aliens

2nd half of Raging Bull

Shawshank Redemption

Schindler's list

Jaws *

Blade Runner*

Ben Hur

Gone with the wind

Ed Wood

A lot of great movies here too. Too many for me to comment on at this late hour.

I will say this though: The last third (give or take) of Raging Bull is what makes the movie so great.

And that Citizen Kane is worth another try. If you watch it and don't like it you can blame it on me for making you watching it. ;)

I saw it about two months ago, didn't I post about it? I think I did but it might have slipped my mind. I loved it too. I can certainly see why it has had such an impact on the movie business.

That's a lot of great movies you've seen BTW. For example The Insider and Barton Fink - I love the Coens.

And you're in for a couple of more great ones. :B)

I envy you. Those are the kind of movies I love the most to see; the ones that you wish you could watch again for the first time (if you know what I mean).

Yeah, I really liked Barton Fink but then I didn't like No Country For Old Men. I did love Fargo though.

I think you did post about Lawrence of Arabia, now that you mention it. Best cinematography I've ever seen - and probably ever will see.

Also, PT Anderson is now officially my favourite modern filmmaker. I haven't seen anythin new by him lately, I've just been watching interviews with him and stuff. If I ever became a director I would definitely borrow a lot from his movies (though he borrows most of his tricks from other movies so you could say I'd be borrowing from them). Also Kubrick and Hitchcock, they've got distinct styles that make their movies unique. You can find some awesome Hitchcock interviews on youtube where he talks about some of his tricks. Great stuff.

I haven't seen No Country For Old Men. I'll wait for it to be released on DVD.

The only Paul Thomas Anderson movies I've seen (as far as I know) are Boogie Nights and Magnolia. Magnolia was beyond great, and Boogie Nights wasn't bad either.

Hitchcock might very well be THE most influentual movie maker of all time.