Movies

habs_in_the_blood

I loved The Butterfly Effect. First time I've liked Ashton Kutcher.

Which ending did you guys get to see? I've seen two different endings and I've read that there's even a third ending.

Maybe you hsould use the spoiler thing if you're going to answer that question.

Agreed.

Butterfly Effect was a great flick. :clap:

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw the new Hulk movie and Wanted over the past couple of days. Considering I expected both to suck, I was pleasantly surprised.

why did you expect Wanted to suck, the comic book seems great and the preview was very nice.

why did you expect Wanted to suck, the comic book seems great and the preview was very nice.

It looked like it was going to be one of those movies with a ton of flash and action but little to no story line. That's what I got from the preview anyway.

Also, I totally called the big twist from just the preview, and sure enough, it came true - so that kind of killed things a bit for me. But still, a good movie and the actors were swell as well (can't go wrong w/ Jolie's wet bottom and Freeman's soothing voice... :P)

For the record, Cloverfield is one of the worst movies I've seen in years...it is officially the only movie I have EVER turned off because of it's badness. I was on a 4 hour flight and had already watched every other movie Air Canada had in its listing(yes, I travel a lot). I usually hate sleeping on planes and I still turned Cloverfield off. I hate movies where people do stupid things, have no plot line, and bad FX for a movie that needed it. It was just a train wreck IMO.

This has the appearance of being one of the better summers/years for movies...

The new Dark Knight should be solid.

I still want to see Iron Man.

James Bond...a must see for me.

Wanted is on my list.

These ones look like decent entertainment even though the critics might not like them:

Hancock I'm not sold on...but I'll probably see it.

Get Smart

The Love Guru

You Don't Mess with the Zohan

I'm too cheap, and too pressed for time, to see them all so it will probably just be Bond, Batman and Wanted...

I also took my daughter to Kung Fu Panda which was pretty good...and I'm being requested to take her to the next Narnia installment - Prince Caspian which is probably out of theatres soon.

Good to see people my age and younger seeing a movie like Arsenic and Old Lace.

I agree about The Butterfly Effect, I thought I'd like it but didn't. I could really have done without a lot of the stuff that went on when they were kids. A lot of that stuff bothered me. Seems like kids who did all that stuff would turn out much more messed up.

Yes, I love watching 40s movies, I think it was an awesome decade for film. My friend got his hands on The Philadelphia Story featuring one of my favourites, Jimmy Stewart, so I hope I get a chance to see that.

I also didn't like the stuff that happens when they're kids, especially when the junkyard scene. You complained that A Clockwork Orange was disturbing and I could watch that easily - but I don't want to see a 12 year old boy stuffing a dog in a sack and lighting him on fire. Nor do I want to see a woman and her baby being blown up by a homemade bomb but that part wasn't as bad.

I loved The Butterfly Effect. First time I've liked Ashton Kutcher.

Which ending did you guys get to see? I've seen two different endings and I've read that there's even a third ending.

Maybe you hsould use the spoiler thing if you're going to answer that question.

I saw the ending where he

watches a home video of when he first met Kayleigh and he sees himself talking to her. He goes back into the memory but this time when he meets her he tells her that he hates her or something like that and she runs away crying. He fast forwards to the future and he never became friends with her so none of that crazy stuff ever happened but he is still friends with... the fat kid, I forget his name. I heard that in the usual ending he turns himself back into a baby.

Also - I saw O Brother, Where Art Thou by the Coen Brothers and it was an interesting movie based on Homer's Odyssey. The shots were absolutely amazing, they were actually nominated for best cinematography but they didn't win. It was the same sort of style as Barton Fink: a some art mixed with some odd comedy mixed with some weird, crazy shit. Probably not to be recommended for people who don't like Coen or Burton movies or other quirky, odd stuff.

@BTH

I know you were interested in making movies, but in what sense again? If writing screenplays is the way you wish to go, I've a few book titles that may be of interest to you. (I'm ripping through them myself right now and should be ready to begin the preliminary steps to writing a screenplay next week)

O Brother is a masterpiece. Very rich, if I may use that word in this context.

I've seen The Butterfly Effect twice, with different endings. The first time I saw it it was the ending

where Kutcher goes back to when he's a baby in his mother's woumb and he somehow makes himself stop breathing and dies before he is born, thus ending the curse (i.e. the "abilities" he has) that otherwise would have been passed on to him from his father.

The second time I saw it, in the ending he bascially haven't seen the girls since they were kids (if I remember correctly) but runs into her on a busy New York street. Although she doesn't recognize him, he recognizes her, obviously, and a future relation between the two is hinted at.

First time ("unhappy ending") I rented the movie, second time ("happy" ending) I saw it on TV. I can understand why the TV channel went with the not-so-gloomy ending, but I liked the unhappy ending better. Made more sense within the context of the movie IMO. A happy ending isn't necessarily the right ending (case in point: Brazil, the fifth point on the list about the ending).

Right now I'm a little confused about the different Butterfly Effect endings but if you go to Wikipedia you can find info about the different endings there, should you be interested.

Edited by Doktor Kosmos

@BTH

I know you were interested in making movies, but in what sense again? If writing screenplays is the way you wish to go, I've a few book titles that may be of interest to you. (I'm ripping through them myself right now and should be ready to begin the preliminary steps to writing a screenplay next week)

Cool. Ideally, a screenwriter-director though. PM me.

O Brother is a masterpiece. Very rich, if I may use that word in this context.

I've seen The Butterfly Effect twice, with different endings. The first time I saw it it was the ending

where Kutcher goes back to when he's a baby in his mother's woumb and he somehow makes himself stop breathing and dies before he is born, thus ending the curse (i.e. the "abilities" he has) that otherwise would have been passed on to him from his father.

The second time I saw it, in the ending he bascially haven't seen the girls since they were kids (if I remember correctly) but runs into her on a busy New York street. Although she doesn't recognize him, he recognizes her, obviously, and a future relation between the two is hinted at.

First time ("unhappy ending") I rented the movie, second time ("happy" ending) I saw it on TV. I can understand why the TV channel went with the not-so-gloomy ending, but I liked the unhappy ending better. Made more sense within the context of the movie IMO. A happy ending isn't necessarily the right ending (case in point: Brazil, the fifth point on the list about the ending).

Right now I'm a little confused about the different Butterfly Effect endings but if you go to Wikipedia you can find info about the different endings there, should you be interested.

I think I like the ending I saw more than those two.

It's been a while since I've read or heard anything about the story of Ulysses so I'm sure I didn't pick up on a lot of the references but I got the singing women, the fight with the suitor to win back his wife after returning from a trip and some stuff like that. I think John Goodman's one-eyed character may have been a reference to the Cyclops, Poly-something. You know, Poseidon's son.

I think John Goodman's one-eyed character may have been a reference to the Cyclops, Poly-something. You know, Poseidon's son.

Yessiree.

The Cyclops

Edited by Doktor Kosmos

Saw the new Hulk movie and Wanted over the past couple of days. Considering I expected both to suck, I was pleasantly surprised.

I saw Hulk too. Didn't had high expectations but couldn't be worse than the 1st Hulk. Edward Norton usually can make any shitty movie watchable so I knew there was at least that.

I was happily surprised with the result. They did a good job portraying Hulk, although the character has fundamental limitations. I thought the special effects were a bit uneven at times, but overall pretty good.

The best parts of the movies were actually the interraction between Banner and Ross (Norton & Liv Tyler). Lots of good short, funny scenes that added some depths to the characters.

And the end is just way too cool with that special cameo and hints of another movie I'm sure every Marvel fan will want to see.

Yeah, that was probably my favourite story from the Odyssey. I couldn't see how that tied into the movie though.

I am by no means an expert on Homer nor on the Coens, but I don't think the adaptation of the cyclops is literal. It was a long time since I read The Oddysey though.

I went to the drive-in last night and saw Don't Mess With The Zohan and Hancock. There was another (Maid of Honor) but we left after the first 2 :)

Hancock was just ok. Maybe I expect too much from Will now but I thought the movie lacked in alot of ways. I never really connected with any of the characters to the point of where I would feel bad for them no matter what happened. The ending was like they put the "cut" ending back in the film and it did very little to clear anything up. Meh, maybe it's just me.

Zohan. WOW. First.......I am a big fan of Happy Madison productions, and Adam Sandler. Just had to say that before hand so you know :P

The movie had its funny points to be sure but it went way past the extremes in alot of situations and most of those scenes just weren't funny. The sexual inuendo, sexual situations and over the top stupidity took over the film and made me happy I paid one price for 2 movies. Unfortunately this wasn't a situation where I expected too much and was disappointed, I was just disappointed.

By far the newest Happy Madison Production is his worst :(

Adam Sandler

I find he looks like Gui when he's dressed as Zohan. He's got the same hair and the same beard.

I went to the drive-in last night and saw Don't Mess With The Zohan and Hancock. There was another (Maid of Honor) but we left after the first 2 :)

Hancock was just ok. Maybe I expect too much from Will now but I thought the movie lacked in alot of ways. I never really connected with any of the characters to the point of where I would feel bad for them no matter what happened. The ending was like they put the "cut" ending back in the film and it did very little to clear anything up. Meh, maybe it's just me.

Hancock was weird, it was like two movies were duct-taped together to make one. You're left with the feeling of "what the hell did I just watch?". They left a lot of material out to where I think a sequel could be decent. At least in the capacity of explaining his origin because little snippets of dialogue for Charlize just isn't going to cut it.

Can't wait for Hellboy II and Dark Knight. Summer is basically done after Knight, unless for some reason The X-Files still excites you 10 years later.

I saw Drillbit Taylor

I admitted it.... isn't that enough?

Hancock was weird, it was like two movies were duct-taped together to make one. You're left with the feeling of "what the hell did I just watch?". They left a lot of material out to where I think a sequel could be decent. At least in the capacity of explaining his origin because little snippets of dialogue for Charlize just isn't going to cut it.

Can't wait for Hellboy II and Dark Knight. Summer is basically done after Knight, unless for some reason The X-Files still excites you 10 years later.

Yes, Yes it does thank you very much :P

There's also the animated Star Wars movie in August that kicks off the new Clone Wars series that debuts this fall. I know a lot of people are done with Star Wars after the new movies, but I still can't wait.

Yes, Yes it does thank you very much :P

Then enjoy the movie. I always thought the show was pretty lame. Whenever I mention theres a new movie to someone first they think I'm lieing and then they just roll their eyes.

There's also the animated Star Wars movie in August that kicks off the new Clone Wars series that debuts this fall. I know a lot of people are done with Star Wars after the new movies, but I still can't wait.

Is it just me or was there another animated Star Wars show called Clone Wars? I seem to remember something on Teletoon.

I'd be semi-interested in The Mummy III if Rachel Weisz hadn't of turned down the script because it sucked. Step Brothers looks like it could be funny but Ferrell's track record isn't exactly wonderful lately. Semi-Pro was pretty bad. Then off the top of my head theres still Pineapple Express, Tropic Thunder, Sisterhood blah blah Pants 2 and another of those stupid <insert genre> Movie parodies.

I'd like to find whoever thinks it's a good idea to fund those movies and beat him up. (meaning the parody ones)

Thought this was pretty funny too. If Michael Bay wrote the script for The Dark Knight

Edited by jetsniper

Is it just me or was there another animated Star Wars show called Clone Wars? I seem to remember something on Teletoon.

Yeah, there was. I think there was a total of like 2 hours of show or something. The movie and new show will be able to go into a lot more detail about storylines and such. We'll probably get to learn a lot more about Asajj Ventress, a Dooku apprentice. I've also read they're gonna give Anakin an apprentice, even though at most he's a Jedi Knight (at least I don't think he's a Knight until the middle of the Clone Wars). Apparently something about the council trying to teach him responsibility or something.