Movies

habs_in_the_blood

you guys like Miyazaki and the Japanese anime? My friend's kid was watching it last time I was in Toronto.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you guys like Miyazaki and the Japanese anime? My friend's kid was watching it last time I was in Toronto.

I dabble in anime a bit but I don't watch it religiously. I watched stuff like Pokemon, Digimon and Dragon Ball Z when I was younger and now I watch stuff like Bleach, Fullmetal Alchemist, Cowboy Bebop, Love Hina, anything Gundam, InuYasha. Mostly stuff you can just find on Cartoon Network but I download a few here and there as well. I still want to check out Monster and Samurai Champloo since I've heard good things about both.

I really like Miyazaki. Despite everyone loving Spirited Away, I think Princess Mononoke is his pinnacle (not that theres anything wrong with Spirited Away, it's fantastic as well). Mononoke is definitely my favourite though.

I've seen Kiki's Delivery Service and My Neighbour Tortoro as well and thought they were both great as well (although I saw them when I was like, 6 so it's been a while. Things might've changed since then, I might just have to sit down and watch them again)

Edited by jetsniper

I dabble in anime a bit but I don't watch it religiously. I watched stuff like Pokemon, Digimon and Dragon Ball Z when I was younger and now I watch stuff like Bleach, Fullmetal Alchemist, Cowboy Bebop, Love Hina, anything Gundam, InuYasha. Mostly stuff you can just find on Cartoon Network but I download a few here and there as well. I still want to check out Monster and Samurai Champloo since I've heard good things about both.

I really like Miyazaki. Despite everyone loving Spirited Away, I think Princess Mononoke is his pinnacle (not that theres anything wrong with Spirited Away, it's fantastic as well). Mononoke is definitely my favourite though.

I've seen Kiki's Delivery Service and My Neighbour Tortoro as well and thought they were both great as well (although I saw them when I was like, 6 so it's been a while. Things might've changed since then, I might just have to sit down and watch them again)

:mellow:

I've seen Spirited Away and The FLoating Castle and both of them were great. But that's almost all the anime I've seen. I recorded one called Metropolis but I haven't actually watched it.

Just watched Eternal Sunshin of the Spotless Mind.

Wow, surprisingly good given that I've heard nothing but bad about it. Never realized how many "good" actors were in the film.

Wow, surprisingly good given that I've heard nothing but bad about it. Never realized how many "good" actors were in the film.

Nothing but bad? It's an awesome movie and it was nominated for Academy Awards - not to mention written by Charlie Kaufman.

In the past few days I've seen The Philadelphia Story and His Girl Friday - both of them are amazing. The next things I see will be White Heat with James Cagney and It Happened One Night with Clark Gable. I've got a whole bunch more Cary Grant stuff to watch though so I'm looking forward to that.

Who the hell is dissing Eternal Sunshine? Tell me and I'll beat them down!

One of my favourite movies ever. I remember a loooooad of outrage when Jim Carrey didn't get nominated for Best Actor. I thought it's March release hurt it.

I remember it came out the same weekend as my 17th birthday and I wanted to go see it but all my friends bitched and moaned because it looked boring. Saw Starsky And Hutch instead, ick.

No idea where I heard it was bad - but it's certainly why it took me this long to see it.

It Happened One Night with Clark Gable.

That's a good movie - and I can say that without having seen it, lol. The Screenplay books I told you about bring it up quite often, so I know the basic story line of it.

Yeah, Eternal Sunshine is my favourite Jim Carrey movie, by far. Then again it shouldn't come as a surprise; Charlie Kaufman wrote the script. And I've got a bit of a crush on Kirsten Dunst. :wub:

Yesterday I saw Spartan, a barely decent movie. with Val Kilmer and Kristen Bell. I had to laugh at the end when there's a Swedish news team at an airport. The female reporter spoke fluent Swedish but the camera guy had the intonation all wrong. Why go through the trouble of getting a natural born Swede for one speaking part and then trying to teach some other schmo some lines, why not get another Swede? Guy inly had like three lines. :wacko:

TOday I saw Shooter with Mark Wahlbergström. Nothing original. I want my two hours back!

Yesterday I saw Spartan, a barely decent movie. with Val Kilmer and Kristen Bell. I had to laugh at the end when there's a Swedish news team at an airport. The female reporter spoke fluent Swedish but the camera guy had the intonation all wrong. Why go through the trouble of getting a natural born Swede for one speaking part and then trying to teach some other schmo some lines, why not get another Swede? Guy inly had like three lines. :wacko:

TOday I saw Shooter with Mark Wahlbergström. Nothing original. I want my two hours back!

I just saw Spartan a couple of weeks ago. I didn't think it was that horrible but the dialogue was terrible at some parts.

I just saw Spartan a couple of weeks ago. I didn't think it was that horrible but the dialogue was terrible at some parts.

I don't know. Either I was dozing off at times or the movie made leaps that I didn't get.

Yeah, Eternal Sunshine is my favourite Jim Carrey movie, by far. Then again it shouldn't come as a surprise; Charlie Kaufman wrote the script. And I've got a bit of a crush on Kirsten Dunst. :wub:

Come on now, that's a bit strong.

THE best Jim Carey movie is Me, Myself, and Irene

Classic Farrelly bros.

Now was it bad because it was a stupid movie or was it bad because Mark Wahlberg stunk? Because he's playing Max Payne in October and I'm still incredibly hesitant over that.

Gotta agree with you too, Eternal is my favourite Jim Carrey movie. If you asked me 10 years ago, it would've been Dumb And Dumber though, haha. That was probably my favourite movie up until I was like, 14.

Oh, jesus, how could I not mention this. Saw Hellboy II today, really liked it and it was waaaay better then the 1st. Kinda sad they didn't get David Hyde Pierce to do the dub for Abe Sapien but I'm sure Doug Jones is fed up with people dubbing him over (he also played The Silver Surfer last year but was dubbed over by Laurence Fishburne) and he did a good enough job. Good movie though.

Edited by jetsniper

Really? Its good? I tried watching the first one.

Yeah, it's much better then the 1st, I wasn't really a big fan of the first one since Hellboy does a lot of moping around in it. I saw it opening weekend and hated it but everytime I've watched it since then, I've liked it a little more. Just watched it again on Tuesday and didn't think it was too bad.

Hellboy II is still definitely way better though. And the way they setup Hellboy III, I can't wait.

and only a week till the big one. The one everyone and their pet has been waiting for. The big enchilada. The grand poobah of the summer movie season...

THE DARK KNIGHT!!!

And I KNOW Maca is just as excited as me, he keeps updating his facebook status with a countdown to the movie, haha.

Edited by jetsniper

Yeah, it's much better then the 1st, I wasn't really a big fan of the first one since Hellboy does a lot of moping around in it. I saw it opening weekend and hated it but everytime I've watched it since then, I've liked it a little more. Just watched it again on Tuesday and didn't think it was too bad.

Hellboy II is still definitely way better though. And the way they setup Hellboy III, I can't wait.

and only a week till the big one. The one everyone and their pet has been waiting for. The big enchilada. The grand poobah of the summer movie season...

THE DARK KNIGHT!!!

And I KNOW Maca is just as excited as me, he keeps updating his facebook status with a countdown to the movie, haha.

I can't wait either, but I'll let you know what it's like on Sunday. I get to go to a private early screening tomorrow night!!!! ha ha!!! :P

No worries though, I won't mention anyhing about the story or plot...just what I thought of it overall

It's ok Habit, I've talked to people who have seen it already anyway so I have a basic idea of what happens. It's hard for these comic book movies to get spoiled for me when I've already read the stories they're based on.

Got the urge to watch Batman Begins again after that last post, I'm not sure I'll be able to stand it this next week. I hope Heath Ledger makes Nicholson's Joker look like...well...a joke.

And a big rumor for the third one is that David Hyde Pierce is lined up to play The Riddler.

Edit: Had a few spoilers in there myself without realizing it, haha

Edited by jetsniper

I'M going nutz about the Dark Knight too. VIVA NOLAN !!!

I've been simmering with excitement about this movie since the first trailer... It's getting to the point where it might boil over soon... I can't wait. Nolan is a genius... Bale ain't so bad either lol.

Now was it bad because it was a stupid movie or was it bad because Mark Wahlberg stunk? Because he's playing Max Payne in October and I'm still incredibly hesitant over that.

Gotta agree with you too, Eternal is my favourite Jim Carrey movie. If you asked me 10 years ago, it would've been Dumb And Dumber though, haha. That was probably my favourite movie up until I was like, 14.

Oh, jesus, how could I not mention this. Saw Hellboy II today, really liked it and it was waaaay better then the 1st. Kinda sad they didn't get David Hyde Pierce to do the dub for Abe Sapien but I'm sure Doug Jones is fed up with people dubbing him over (he also played The Silver Surfer last year but was dubbed over by Laurence Fishburne) and he did a good enough job. Good movie though.

No, don't get we wrong, I have nothing against Mark Wahlberg. It was the movie (and the script) that was nothing special. Too predictable, too cliché.

I like a lot of Jim Carrey comedies (like the aforementioned Dumb & Dumber and Me, Myself and Irene) but I think he's terribly underrated as a "serious" actor (Eternal Sunshine, The Number 23). My favourite Carrey film pre-Eternal Sunshine was The Truman Show.

I really liked the first Hellboy, looking forward to no. 2, and I'm not normally that fond of comic book hero movies. Ron Perlman rocks tho.

I like a lot of Jim Carrey comedies (like the aforementioned Dumb & Dumber and Me, Myself and Irene) but I think he's terribly underrated as a "serious" actor (Eternal Sunshine, The Number 23).

really? strange i saw Number 23 and found it embarassingly bad. could not at all accept the premise through Carey's character.

loved the Truman show though, and the comedies you mentioned. my gf never laughed so much as with dumb & dumber

really? strange i saw Number 23 and found it embarassingly bad. could not at all accept the premise through Carey's character.

I also remember hearing him tell a dumb american entertainment journalist that he chose number 23 because that was the amount of his favourite team's stanley cups.

he's from TO and they have 16...and it'll stay like this a f---ing while.

Montreal have 24 stanley cups not 23..not that he likes montreal...only Viggo Mortensen is bright enought to embrasse the CH.

While I think the he's a great actor and an underrated drama actor, He really should've shut up about his title for 23 !! DUMB ASS!!

Edited by marky_and_komi