Movies

habs_in_the_blood

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is. Very good. I don't know if I've seen any other Spike Lee movies. None that I can think of, only Malcolm X, but I'm not sure it was he who made it and it was so long ago anyway so it hardly counts anyway.

Spike Lee did do Malcolm X and you probably also saw Inside Man. Do The Right Thing was a good movie - sends its message but it doesn't have to be as preachy or childish as Crash or American History X.

(Seriously, watch the movie link I left a couple of posts back: In Bruges. Amazing stuff.)

Make that "The Usual Suspects". Turns out my dad wanted to watch so it was a better choice.

Though, I must say Usual Suspects was too predictable (as was Seven). I ruin mystery/detective type stories far too often because I catch onto the tells early on. Either way though, a great watch and Spacey is amazing as always.

Arguably my favourite movie of all time. It doesn't work quite as well nowawadays but you have to keep two things in mind:

1) When this was made, Kevin Spacey was basically a no-name actor. he wasn't the star that he became later in the 90s. Now when people watch it, they see that Spacey is the only really big name in the cast so right away they suspect him.

2) This was really the first movie that had this type of ending. Up until that point, people were used to do the same type of stories and endings where everything fits into place. At the time, no one was looking out for the "big twist" the way they do now. It was a complete shock. The Sixth Sense was the next movie to finish with a twist of this calibre and after that it became almost routine for crime movies to finish this way. So now when someone is watching The Usual Suspects for the first time, they'll quickly start trying to predict the ending and with so few characters in the movie, it isn't that hard to guess if you are really determined to ruin it for yourself.

Finally watched the Big Lebowski. I loved it, thought it was hilarious. It tailed off a bit during the middle but overall a great movie.

Also PS I love you is actually really really good.

It took a couple of watches but The Big Lebowski is another one of my favorites of all-time.

Another movie that I really liked which I recently saw is Once. You'd have to enjoy that kind of music to begin with (I love The Frames) but I thought it was fantastic.

Oh yeah, Inside Man, how could I forget. I even had that in a movie scene trivia, didn't I? Silly me. :wacko:

And I agree with your assessment of The Usual Suspects BTH. The first time I saw it it totally and completely blew my mind. A lot of great movies may not seem so great in this day and age but in my opinion you cannot hold everything that has come out after against it, if you know what I mean. Take the Terminator movies for example. In the first when you see the terminator's steel skeleton at the end, those effects seemed very well done. Then #2 came out just shy of a decade later and it totally blew the first one out of the water (with the "liquid" T-1000 for example). Then another decade passes and #3 comes out and they further improve on the effects (like the bubble that the terminators use to travel through time for example). Maybe the first one wasn't so great even by the standards of 1984 (it was really more of a B-movie), but T2 was ground-breaking with the budget of a small country. When the third came out in 2004 the movie industry had made progress so it's only natural that it may have looked better.

I watched two movies yesterday. The first one was Misery, starring the excellent James Caan, the great Kathy Bates and the honorable Richard Farnsworth. In case you haven't seen it (and you should!) I can tell you that it's based on a Stephen King novel. Adaptations of King novels tend to be hit or miss in my opinion. The Shining (although King himself dismissed it for some reason or another), The Green Mile, The Shawshank Redemption are huge hits, Dreamcatcher stunk up the place. Well, Misery is worth watching, that's for sure.

The second one I saw was Dark Water and despite the wonderful and stunningly beautiful Jennifer Connelly, Tim Roth, John C. Reilly and Pete Postlethwaite, it wasn't very good. Not very thrilling for a thriller.

Edited by Doktor Kosmos

Oh yeah, Inside Man, how could I forget. I even had that in a movie scene trivia, didn't I? Silly me. :wacko:

yes you did

I'm not into movies mood right now as I watch the 1rst season of 24 on DVDs. But I will go watch the Dark Knight for sure at Imax.

Edited by JoeLassister

Re-watched one of my old favourites tonight due to inability to sleep. American Graffiti. Not sure how many people here are into car movies but they are my favourite!!!

Best Car Movies Seen So Far

1. American Graffiti

2. Vanishing Point

3. Two-Lane Blacktop

4. Hollywood Knights

5. Bullitt

I can't decide if Step Brothers looks like it will be funny or terrible.

being with will farrell, it'll probably stink. I like him but not as a 1st role.

I can't decide if Step Brothers looks like it will be funny or terrible.

The previews were HALARIOUS... but you know, I hate that because then 90% of the best jokes are ruined.

Btw, totally watched Annie Hall last night. Good stuff.

Re-watched one of my old favourites tonight due to inability to sleep. American Graffiti. Not sure how many people here are into car movies but they are my favourite!!!

Best Car Movies Seen So Far

1. American Graffiti

2. Vanishing Point

3. Two-Lane Blacktop

4. Hollywood Knights

5. Bullitt

weird coincidence I am watching 'ol "Two-Lane" right now. I love road movies -- it's camp but have you seen "Race with the Devil"?

weird coincidence I am watching 'ol "Two-Lane" right now. I love road movies -- it's camp but have you seen "Race with the Devil"?

That's cool "Two-Lane" isn't the most popular movie. If it had more Mopar I would be a bigger fan of it lol. I haven't seen "Race with the Devil". Is it worth putting on my list of must views?

Not a movie but a television series... I've been watching The Shield a lot lately. I don't know if it's really good or really packed with genre clichés, but I like it all the same. It's amazing how addictive stuff like this is.

I like the fact that some of the cops that the show revolves around are crooked.

At first I didn't like it because I remember having seen Michael Chilkis on some other cop or detecive show and he was way preppier on that show, so at first I felt he over-did the whole macho crooked cop thing. But now it's really grown on me.

I don't know which season it is but currently Vic and Shane and those guys are having problems with some Armenian gangsters and some money train they ripped off. There's also some shit about a gangwar with some gang caled Byz Lats or something like that. On the last episode I saw they busted a guy selling submachine guns to some gang. And some Amrenian gangster had their feet cut off, post-mortem.

I'm gonna have to get this on DVD when I get the funds.

The previews were HALARIOUS... but you know, I hate that because then 90% of the best jokes are ruined.

Yeah, the previews make me laugh everytime but I've got the feeling they're showing all of the best jokes.

"This is how we do it!"

*bed crushes Will Ferrel*

"Hellllllp Meeeeeee"

:lol:

A teaser has been released for Terminator Salvation due out May 22nd, 2009 (they moved it waaay ahead, it actually wasn't supposed to be out till 2011)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3Wyj5IJZMA

Christian Bale is playing John Connor which is only one of the most exciting things ever. It's almost impossible for Bale to stink a movie up (TDK got 4.5 out of 5 in the paper today). Happened to watch Judgment Day last night on AMC, haven't seen it in years but it's definitely the best of the series (by far) and like DK said, one of the best action movies ever made.

I remember seeing it when I was a kid and being totally blown away by the effects they used for the T-1000. That and Jurassic Park were two of the more amazing movies visually of the early 90s and I think todays special effects owe a lot to them. To complete a trilogy, I'd throw The Matrix in there as well.

Edited by jetsniper

I thought the preview was hit and miss. A bit more hit than miss.

Miss: If you feel a tugging at your ankle that's me trying to gnaw your leg off!

Hit: "Sh-shut your mouth." "It's not a good idea to tell the person who is interviewing you to shut their mouth."

Hit: "What are you doing?" "I'm BURYING you!"

Hit: "Let the dirt rain over you" -> apparently not in the film, just the preview.

Hit: "Sh-shut your mouth." "It's not a good idea to tell the person who is interviewing you to shut their mouth."

You're sounding stupid now.

Hit: "What are you doing?" "I'm BURYING you!"

In that classic Will Ferrell voice

"SHUT UP, YOU'RE WAKING THE NEIGHBOURS! *hits in the face with the shovel*"

It's the same director from Talladega Nights with the same main cast and Talladega is my favourite Ferrell movie so I've got hope it will at least be entertaining.

Christian Bale is a solid a chioce as anyone can hope to make. He's definitely one of the best actors in years. \m/

Christian Bale is a solid a chioce as anyone can hope to make. He's definitely one of the best actors in years. \m/

If that implies that he's the best working actor than I definitely disagree. He's in the top 10 for sure but I'm not sure I would put him in the top 5. He is just one of the guys at the top.

Edited by BTH

just finished Planet Terror : HILARIOUSLY GOOD !!! i like that kind of movies.

:lol: I own it. It's just so ridiculous that I couldn't help but enjoy it. Wasn't as much of a fan with Death Proof though.

If that implies that he's the best working actor than I definitely disagree. He's in the top 10 for sure but I'm not sure I would put him in the top 5. He is just one of the guys at the top.

The best? No, but it's not easy to say who is. One of the best? Yes I think so.

What I meant to say (and I realize now I could have made it clearer) is he's one of the best actors to have emerged in the last decade or so. Well, considering he was in Empire of the Sun which came out two decades ago maybe I should say the last 25-25 years... but you get my point, I hope. I'd argue though that it's only in the last 10 or so years that he's became a household name.

Edited by Doktor Kosmos

*bed crushes Will Ferrel*

"Hellllllp Meeeeeee"

The bunk beds crushing Ferrel is my favourite part of the preview because one of them totally starts screaming MEDIC!!!!

At least, that's what I think I heard - I hope it is, because I almost died when I heard MEDIC!!! thanks to the number of FPS games I've played.