Samsonov

Canajun

I know it's early, but I just don't feel Samsonov is a good fit on that line... at least not on the wing. The guy just doesn't shoot enough or dig in the corners like a winger ought to. He's a pretty good playmaker though - always looking for the pass first as opposed to the shot... and he likes to carry the puck. Why not move the guy to center and Plekanec over to the wing? I think it would work... couldn't be any worse.

Of course, Samsonov is not the strongest defensively, but you'd still have Plekanec around to pick up the defensive slack. I think you'd have a line comparable (kind of) in skills/tendencies to Koivu's line:

Ryder - the pure sniper, not so hot defensively

Koivu - the playmaker, doesn't like to shoot, and again, not all that hot defensively

Higgins - good digger, good shooter, good hockey sense, opportunistic, good defensively

Kovalev - the pure sniper (but of course dangles a lot more than Ryder). Not much defensively

Samsonov - the playmaker, doesn't like to shoot, not so hot defensively

Plekanec - decent digger, good hockey sense, opportunistic, not afraid to shoot, good defensively

Mind you, Higgins is stronger and more aggressive in the corners than Plekanec, a wee bit bigger than Plekanec, and a better shooter... but I think the two lines compare better when you switch Samsonov over to center. Do it Carbo!

The line isn't working, but since the first line is on fire, you don't want to muck it up to salvage the second. Kovalev and Samsonov can't really hang anywhere except on the 2nd line, but while Plekanec has the talent for the second line, he can do good work on the third as well...maybe give Bonk a game or two between Kovalev and Samsonov and let Plekanec work the third for a while?

You are right...it is early. I think line tinkering should be left for the post 15-20 game mark, and only if the team is not scoring, so far we have seen a goal from line #2 in each of the last 2 games. I think this line will explode soon...at lease I hope. If nothing hapens after a time, I would agree with your suggestion, but would prefer to see Sammy move to the first line.

I was thinking much the same. He's a speedy two-way playmaker with tons of intensity.

Isnt he on the PK? Why should he be there, cuz he's bad?

Jeuj another Samsonov thread,i bet the other one got deleted? DumpSamsonov's friend?

Edited by Dutch_Habs_Fan

Jeuj another Samsonov thread,i bet the other one got deleted? DumpSamsonov's friend?

yeah, didnt they boot Dumpsamsonov because he made that latendresse thread..... and Koivu is amazing at defense for a forward

Ryder played very well defensively I find against Calgary. I saw him backchecking more than anyone on that line. He added a lot more speed and sandpaper to his game. I have a feeling he would score a good 35 goals this season atleast, with potential of 40.

Edited by fromage

Ryder played very well defensively I find against Calgary. I saw him backchecking more than anyone on that line. He added a lot more speed and sandpaper to his game. I have a feeling he would score a good 35 goals this season atleast, with potential of 40.

what does that have to do with Samsonov? :?-

what does that have to do with Samsonov? :?-

This:

Koivu - the playmaker, doesn't like to shoot, and again, not all that hot defensively

Higgins - good digger, good shooter, good hockey sense, opportunistic, good defensively

What?! Saku is great defensively

My eyebrows raised aswell, but you beat me too it.

Carbo will figure it out. We are winning so I think he'll be patient with his lines as chemistry develops. But you are right. Something should change. In Boston who did Sammy Jive with?

I know it's early, but I just don't feel Samsonov is a good fit on that line... at least not on the wing. The guy just doesn't shoot enough or dig in the corners like a winger ought to. He's a pretty good playmaker though - always looking for the pass first as opposed to the shot... and he likes to carry the puck. Why not move the guy to center and Plekanec over to the wing? I think it would work... couldn't be any worse.

Of course, Samsonov is not the strongest defensively, but you'd still have Plekanec around to pick up the defensive slack. I think you'd have a line comparable (kind of) in skills/tendencies to Koivu's line:

Kovalev - the pure sniper (but of course dangles a lot more than Ryder). Not much defensively

Samsonov - the playmaker, doesn't like to shoot, not so hot defensively

Plekanec - decent digger, good hockey sense, opportunistic, not afraid to shoot, good defensively

Mind you, Higgins is stronger and more aggressive in the corners than Plekanec, a wee bit bigger than Plekanec, and a better shooter... but I think the two lines compare better when you switch Samsonov over to center. Do it Carbo!

Aliright first thing umm koivu not being so hot defensivly... Your nuts lol why els would he be on the Pk then..Ryder this year has gotten MUCH better. And higgins is just great.

The second lines problem is they all try and outskate players they dont need to and they dont dump the puck (shoot) at the net enough kovalev did it yesterday moving and shooting and he got a goal out of it the lines are good just ned more time to sink in.

It's not against the law to make a thread debating what Sergei Samsonov brings to the team - and regardless this guy's only saying that maybe he should be moved to centre :blink:

It's not against the law to make a thread debating what Sergei Samsonov brings to the team - and regardless this guy's only saying that maybe he should be moved to centre :blink:

Well as you may or may not know, you just don't move a guy to centre! ITs a position that your learn and play for years/ Samsonov is a career left winger, you dont just make him a centre. First off he's probably not very good on faceoffs, second your offensive zone and defensive zone play are completley different than a wingers. You can't just make Samsonov a centre in the same way Kovalev can't just become a defensman

Well as you may or may not know, you just don't move a guy to centre! ITs a position that your learn and play for years/ Samsonov is a career left winger, you dont just make him a centre. First off he's probably not very good on faceoffs, second your offensive zone and defensive zone play are completley different than a wingers. You can't just make Samsonov a centre in the same way Kovalev can't just become a defensman

Yeah I know man, but it wouldn't hurt to try. Samsonov is completely ineffective right now.

I find it very anoying that for any opinion people make new threads, in most cases there is already a thread for it. With less threads Habs Talk is better to follow, but i'm just Suggesting, it's not against the law.

Keep on debating!

Well samsonov got taken off the 2nd line in favour of Perezhogin.

I wonder if that will be how the line-up looks Saturday when Colorado is in town. I would not mind seeing Perezhogin with Kovalev and Plekanec he has had success with both last season. Samsonov is earning himself a seat in the press box soon, I know he has not been with the team long but he is super innefective. Possibly Kostitysn will get a call up and let Samsonov watch a game or two from the press box, there is no point in dressing him each and every game just to see him wind up benched in the 3rd!

Yeah I know man, but it wouldn't hurt to try. Samsonov is completely ineffective right now.

You think Samsonov is completely ineffective, playing the position he is comfortable in, so you think it would benefit him to move him to a position where he has increased defensive responsibilities as well as face-offs to worry about. Come on.

The simple truth is that Samsonov is not that good of a player, he was fine in the old NHL where he could be a defensive liability but now he can't and he is having no success. He really only had 1 good year, very similiar to Theodore. Just because a guy has 1 good year doesn't mean he is going to have a great career. He was lousy the last couple of years, and he will continue to be this year, you have to remember he wasen't exactly a coveted pick-up this year, he was BG's plan D.

People shouldn't expect too much out of him, as soon as they picked him up I said to myself "I hope he's good for 15-20 goals. We are a handfull of games into the season and I'm beginning to wonder if I was hoping for a bit much.

Samsonov is on a decline since his season ending injury in 2002. He has battled with consistency and injuries ever since. He is only 28 years old though. I don't agree with you C-Love, Samsonov should be better in the new NHL and use his speed to the max. Samsonov is one of the most skilled hockey player. I guess he only has to find back his confidence and get a chemistry going with a top linemate. He has Kovalev, a fellow russian and one of the top player in the NHL. It's up to him, as professional, to find a way to produce.

Good God...please carbo, don't touch the third line...they are doing so well...Johnson and Bonk are working really well together and Perez REALLY impressed me last night when the habs seemed to be a bit tired. I guess if the third line HAD to be shuffled, I would put Sammy in place of Perez and move Perez up to the LW with Kovy and Pleks. That being said, I am not discounting the possiblity of the second line lightint it up in the future (yet).