Lines for Boston?

jl.roberts

What are your thoughts on what CJ should do for tomorrow's game?

- We have Komisarek currently on the sidelines.

- We have Begin or Dackell possibly returning from injury.

- We have Dagenais returning from a suspension, if he's dressed.

In my opinion, and feel free to post your own.

1B : Sundstrom - Koivu - Ryder

I think we're through with Bulis on the first line. We're coming off a victory, yes, but I'd like to see CJ test out Sundstom-Koivu. Number 37 is a really talented player, but he's not too interested on offence when he's playing on the checking line. A doubtful combo, though.

1A : Zednik - Ribeiro - Balej

No reason to break this line apart. CJ had Balej sit in favour of Ward for parts of last night's game, but I believe Balej can still learn plenty from these two. Dagenais can sit this game, it sends a bad message to him maybe; but Balej has done nothing Dagenais hasn't, aside from scoring, something that should come along in time.

L3 : Bulis - Juneau - Ward

A new look third line, sort of. Bulis is a great player; but not a first liner. Ward provides a continual spark and Juneau has the brains to put it all together.

L4 : Langdon - Begin - Kilger

This is assuming that Dackell is still out with the knee, and Perreault takes to the box. He won a key draw, but Begin brings more to the team, obviously. Kilger over Perreault? Yes, because playing with energetic, physical players (see: Ward) seems to bring out the best in Kilger.

The defensive pairings are fine. Komisarek can learn in the same way Souray did last season, but I'd like to see him play in the AHL All-Star game in a few weeks. Rivet, Brisebois, and Markov are playing strong; and Souray will come around.

[Edited on 2004/1/30 by jl.roberts]

Well it depends on whether you're asking what lines you think CJ will use, or what lines we'd hope he used.

The lines will probably be:

Bulis-Koivu-Ryder

Zednik-Ribeiro-Dagenais

Sundstrom-Juneau-Ward

Langdon-Begin-Kilger

Perreault/Dackell/Balej

Balej will be back in Hamilton shortly.

As for what I'd like to see:

Ryder-Koivu-Balej

Zednik-Ribeiro-Dagenais

Sundstrom-Bulis-Ward

Langdon-Begin-Kilger

I'm also tired of Bulis not producing, and Juneau and his bad back will have a hard time against a big Boston team so I'd rather he rest it further.

Balej has had a shot with Ribs... but I'd like to see how he'd fit with Koivu before he's sent back down.

And welcome back Bégin, maybe he'll wake up Langdon while he's there... as well as the rest of the team.

And should Theo play back to back?... I'm not so sure. Give him the conference game, but the Chicago game I'd be tempted to go with Garon depending on how the Boston game went.

Dagenais practiced with Ribeiro/Zednik today in his usual spot , and that line will be reuinited tomorrow (Sorry JLR) ... Balej imo will be sent down , we just dont have any room for him now.

Begin is awaiting a green light from doctors , and will play tomorrow if he gets it.... Assuming Begin plays , and that Dackell is still out , CJ's lines will probably look at follows..

Bulis - Koivu - Ryder

Zednik - Ribeiro - Dagenais

Sundstrom - Juneau - Ward

Kilger - Begin - Langdon

Although I wonder if CJ will dress Perreault in place of Langdon/Kilger because of YP's faceoff ability and usefullness on the 2nd PP unit (since its a pretty weak 2PP unit as it is) .

How is Sundstrom a fourth liner?

Is it because he once formed the NHL's most feared third line in the NHL while with the Sharks?

Is it because he is our best penalty killer?

Is it because he is the centrepiece of our checking unit?

Is it because he is a fast, smooth skater?

Is it because he was valuable enough to be an appropriate return for a very good goaltender named Jeff Hackett?

Watch him on the ice. He skates, he thinks, he plays the game. He'd be a very good winger for Koivu, I'm not suggesting for the long term, but I don't think it would hurt. After all, they played a game together and were excellent. Until Sundstrom proves he couldn't handle any sort of offensive responsibilities, and maybe he can't, than there's no reason to believe that all that talent bundled up inside of him couldn't come alive when playing with a world-class centreman.

I like Sundstrom. I have no problems with the guy playing anywhere in the lineup, actually. I liked him when he palyed in SJ, and was happy we got him in the Hackett deal. To say he's a "4th liner at best" isn't being very bright.

Originally posted by jl.roberts

How is Sundstrom a fourth liner?

He isn't a 4th liner, but he isn't a 1st liner either. He's a 2nd liner / 3rd liner depending on the team

Is it because he once formed the NHL's most feared third line in the NHL while with the Sharks?

Just wondering, how would that make him a 4th liner?

Is it because he is our best penalty killer?

He isn't our best PK, that would be Begin or Dackell (with Begin). Juneau also ranks above Sunny IMO

Is it because he is the centrepiece of our checking unit?

He's not that either. Sorry, but he isn't physical enough to be called a "checker". He's a good passer, a good skater, and, when paired with Begin (or other consistent physical defensive forwards), he plays more physical than normal. He is, however, not a "checker", sorry.

Is it because he is a fast, smooth skater?

I fail to see your reasoning for him being a 4th line player if he is a good skater...

Is it because he was valuable enough to be an appropriate return for a very good goaltender named Jeff Hackett?

JR, you're beginning to scare me the same way Kenikov (and others) scare me about Perreault. Sundstrom is not part of this team's future, I will be very surprised if he's still with us come the 2007 season.

I would too like to try Sundstrom on the 1st line wing one day, but then again, I would also like Zednik to play there. Or Balej. Or Ward. Or even Langdon (just give him a chance; I BELIEVE LANGY! I BELIEVE!)

Nope, don't expect anything special any time soon. CJ has done well before, he'll work out this dilemma soon enough

Aussie,

I don't see Sundstrom being around that long either. It's just right now he's being seen as strictly defensive, when he's got a lot of offensive talent too. I remember a game back in early January where they played together and looked pretty good. It can't hurt to try something.

Bulis is doing an alright job there, I'd just like something different. Zednik is the ideal winger for Saku, I just don't see it happening when he's working well with Ribeiro and that line gives us a second scoring unit. Langdon on the first line? If we ever lose six or seven in a row, than why the hell not. :D

Balej will probably go to the AHL, because of bodies coming back. I'd like to see him there, too, but probably not until next season. Ward is one of my favourite Habs, but he's just awesome on the defensive line because he gives a lot of energy and some physical prescence on a line that doesn't usually have a lot of that.

Niklas Sundström was one of the best offensive player in junior hockey in Sweden. He formed one of the best lines ever with Peter Forsberg and Markus Näslund at the national team.

In the NHL the Rangers and mainly the Sharks "converted" him into a defensive minded player. But I think if he would get more time on the 1st or 2nd line, he will regain his offensive skills.

On the other hand he is an important part for the defensive game of the HABS right now, so they should better use him there. ;)

PS.: Sorry for my bad english ... :D

[Edited on 2004/1/31 by habsfannr1]

• 3 weeks later...

I like sundstrom... he has the scoring ability and everyone just bashes him because he's on the third line. Really, if you pay attention to him on the ice, he gives effort.

but everyone has their own opinions

:hlogo: