Dags and Rivet fight in practice

Habby1197

Dags took a shot and hit rivet in the ankle... hurt him. Rivet got pissed off and charged Dags, the two had a mini fight and was broken up by teamates. This isn't a bad thing... might have been an intense practice, also Dags hurt Theo early in the year with a shot... so it might be Rivet's way of telling him to stop hurting his own teamates.

http://www.rds.ca/cgi-bin/nouvelles?site=r...on&sport=#95642

Fights in practice don't have to be a bad thing. Dags really has to stop shooting it all out in practice and injuring his teamates, and i like the fact that Rivet isnt afraid to tell him this.

I think/hope it is a simple coincidence that Dags and Rivet are both great friends with Ribeiro and Koivu respectively.

Dags hasn't really produced lately, and while the Habs have been on a slide, it might be time to send him down to Hamilton. If only as a wake-up call. Although we also need to bench Ribs for a game, just to make him stop taking those long shifts. We almost lost to Pittsburgh when we turned into a team of selfish players who tried to do everything themselves, didn't pass (nothing new for Dags) and took long shifts (nothing new for Ribs).

I'm sure CJ will have this situation under control, and an intense practice is what we need, to wake up for a revamped Islander's team.

Coaches like to say it's all part of the drill, happens all the time.... yeah right

It does happen, but it's rare... very rare.

Pretty much non-existent on teams that are a tight knit group, a team that truly gets along.

If Souray hits Rivet in his ankle, you think Rivet goes after him?.. of course not.

Rivet reacted that way because a) he knew Dags is not tough B) he's part of the other "clan".

If Kilger had taken that shot, the two are good friends... nothing would have happened.

There's a genuine dislike between some of the players, that's why we're seeing this... always a non-franco against a franco, that's not a coincidence.

Most of us have played hockey, we understand you're not best friends with everyone in the room... and that's fine.

But when it's a genuine dislike, and it involves a significant portion of the room... it's not healthy.

That said, I kinda enjoyed it:

- on one hand you see that wuss Rivet dropping the gloves against a guy he knows can't fight... which is basically the only type of opponent he'll dare drop the gloves against.

- on the other hand it was nice to see that giant wuss Dagenais get flown around in the air... to be that big yet be so damn soft is a crime, he deserves to be beaten once in a while.

If he gets sick of it at some point, all he has to do is toughen up and learn to protect himself... it would be about damn time.

I saw the incident only once, but you see Ribs try to seperate them... then another player dives in by I couldn't make out who it was.

If the room is really as divided as some of us think it is... they should have them duke it out at a boxing gym, with head gear so they don't actually injure each other.

Work the aggression out there... but then come together come game time.

Fights happen in practice... it's not a french VS english thing come on. Garth Snow VS Oleg Kvasha, explain that one? Zednik and Dykhuis? Dykhuis does't like Slovakian's? Give me a break... Koivu and Ribs seem to get along just fine, Koivu loves that he finally has another centre on the team that create something and not everything is on his shoulders... and he doesn't have to try and do too much. I'll tell you one thing, Ribeiro would not have the season he is having if it wasn't for Koivu. You think if Ribs and Perreault were our two top centres, Ribs would have that many points? Not a chance in hell.... I see those guys feeding off eachother... Why was Theodore so angry at Dagenais for hitting him in the collarbone and said some not such nice things about him after... is Theodore enlgish? This is a load of crap, and all of you feeding fire to the French VS English thing are a bunch of losers.

This is a load of crap, and all of you feeding fire to the French VS English thing are a bunch of losers.

I said: it was non-franco vs. non-franco, and that's no coincidence.

What I meant by that is that alot of the francos hang out with each other, get along well... 2 guys from that same group who gets along is less likely to start fighting over an accident.

Same goes for the non-francos who hang together... if Souray or Kilger hits Rivet by mistake I guarantee you he doesn't jump them.

It's not that the anglos hate the french or vice versa, it's just that they don't hang together, aren't friends... and perhaps there is some bad blood between a few individuals.

For guys to start dropping gloves because of a stupid thing like this, those guys are not tight... probably haven't shared more than a few words since Dags joined the team.

It's a little like on football teams, the defense and offense are like 2 different teams inside the same team... sometimes at odds with each other.

But in football it doesn't matter because they don't have to work together... they're not on the field at the same time.

Our guys are.

I see teams like Edmonton who are all tight, or Calgary who made that stupid moustache contest... these guys actually all like each other and it shows.

In Montreal we've known it hasn't been the case for years now, and I don't think it's a positive environment as we enter a youth movement... I don't like it.

Today was a symptom of that... it's not the end of the world, but I still don't like it.

Who on the Habs that matters actually is french?

Ribs

Begin

Quintal

Briser

Theo+Garon

6 guys thats it.. I'm not counting Dags, Perreualt and Juneau... not important pieces of the team

As for Ribs, I think he's a likeable guy on the team.

Begin, same for him... no one can have a problem with him.

Quintal, same thing... will stand up for anyone.

Briser too, he's got nothing against Saku or any other english players.

As for the Goalies, I dont see a problem there either.

This team ISN'T divided, and if it was, we wouldn't be 7 games over .500 no ######ing way. Souray and Quintal.... is that a clique? I saw them together at the Seinfeld concert two years ago.

Originally posted by Habby1197

I'll tell you one thing, Ribeiro would not have the season he is having if it wasn't for Koivu. You think if Ribs and Perreault were our two top centres, Ribs would have that many points? Not a chance in hell.... I see those guys feeding off eachother...

Oh yeah, that wasn't Ribeiro keeping the team afloat offensively while Koivu missed the first month or two... next please.

Why was Theodore so angry at Dagenais for hitting him in the collarbone and said some not such nice things about him after... is Theodore enlgish?

Being pissed off is normal, you don't see a difference between being mad at someone and attacking him?

If not, you're probably writing to us from jail... when do you get out?

This is a load of crap, and all of you feeding fire to the French VS English thing are a bunch of losers.

Of course, it's all a fantasy... gimme a break.

Members of Koivu's group have included Recchi, Corson, Savage, Hackett, Rivet, Kilger... can't think of any francos he's been tight with.

It might not be the whole problem, but it's certainly a good part of what is dividing this team. People with the same first language will naturaly gravitate to each other... it's that simple.

That leads to a seperation in some form right there... each side even talk to their own set of reporters. And each side of the media protect their own since that's they talk to most.

Add on top of that some individual personality conflicts, some veteran/younger crowd tension... and you've got yourself a divided room.

But if pretending english vs french is not an issue at all makes you happy go ahead.... ignorance is bliss.

P.S. I'm really happy Langdon is here to take fellow newfie Micheal Ryder under his wing... I think he's shielded him from a lot of the crap that is going on in the room... and probably a big reason why he has done so well.

Markov wasn't so lucky, he lost Petrov, and he isn't dealing well with the tension-filled locker room since he left.

Oh yeah, that wasn't Ribeiro keeping the team afloat offensively while Koivu missed the first month or two... next please.

Well you're WRONG. In 14 games Ribs had 7 points which is ok... but not the pace he's at now. Also that included a 7 game pointless streak... And somehow Ribs picked it up right when Saku came back with points in 7 straight games. If there really were these so called problems, we wouldn't come out flying in games, and we wouldn't come back from 3-2 to the Pens or 2-0 to the Wild... I don't know what you're trying to get at, but every team has players that are closer with eachother... just because they don't go for dinner together doesn't mean they are at odd's. You think Chelios and Zetterberg hang out together? Is that locker room divided? Also, I think it's BS that Rivet went after Dags because he's french, I think it's more of him doing damage with his shot before, and basically being a rookie, yes... I know he's played 90 something NHL games, but he's basically a rookie and I could see a Vet having a problem with a new player. Also about Ribs... he was a 40pt guy before Koivu got back... He's been basically at a point per game since... How can you even say Saku has no effect on his play? Are you that blind? They compliment eachother... make eachother better. I don't believe this team has major problems in the room for a second, I don't think they are all best friends, but they would forsure go to war for eachother, and they are way, more together than last year. I agree there was a problem last year... this year the attitude changed, I can't believe you can't see that. Anyways if your up for starting shit, go for it... but to me, it's bullshit.

Habby1197 I totally agree with you. I remember last year or so, my memory doesn't do too well with dates, when Michel Therien referred to one of the scrawls as a brawl of brothers. The situation these guys are under do not allow for much to slip. They live with each other for how many months a year? My point here is that eisegetical mogruels like the ones jumping to a "clan" brawl should step aside, count to ten and ask themselves: " Do I play with the Habs?". Look what I am saying is maybe you're all right, but don't start anything that you can't back up. And by the way stats mean nothing as evidence for this such things. Any of you taken any statistical analysis courses? IF you did then no need to read further, if you didn't here's a short lesson, statistical data and designs are unfortunately ladent with error and sigma= standard deviations. These don't tell you squat about whether or not so and so likes him or so and so despises him. Stop being morons, stop making mountains out of mole hills, and stop starting stuff that you have no primary references to back you up. Sit tight and for once be exegetical with references.

I agree that almost all teams in professional sports have some level of cliques amongst them. But fighting in practice, however intense it may be, is not acceptable during the regular season, and it isn't a common occurence. Whatever the cause was, or anything underlying, nothing good comes out of teammates fighting. Julien needs to take a stand quickly on this one and let em all know who's in charge.

It's still something I think that will pass by and barely be a blip on the radar soon enough.

Man, Habs77 you are all over the place. You not only contradict yourself, but can't even make real claims for your argument.

Say that there was a fight. And Rivet went against Dags. Maybe it was a old vs new kind of a thing. Maybe he hit him really hard and laughed about it. Maybe Rivet had a bad day and needed a bit of something else to get him over the edge. Maybe, Maybe, Maybe... there is soooo many other things to consider before you can claim that the only reason for the fight is because of the ango franco war in the lockeroom.

Dont get me wrong, it is believable, but NOT probable. A team that is divided WOULDN'T be 7 games over .500! It is just as simple as that. Please dont bring up your 'clique' ideas to this discussion because it only makes me laugh.

I think you are trying to prove your point so much, in that, you have convinced yourself that its the only truth around.

Originally posted by V

Man, Habs77 you are all over the place. You not only contradict yourself, but can't even make real claims for your argument.

First you'll have to learn how to read, cuz you didn't get a thing I said.

Second, fix you avatar.

I wouldn't be worried, guys. I've been in fights before with my hockey team, and it's been over stupid reasons. I'm usually pretty laid back and I'm joking all the time, but there are some players who are the exact opposite. Always getting on your case when you do something wrong, and blaming you anyways when they do something wrong. And after awhile sometimes it blows up.

We had a particularily stressful practice one time, and I took a hard shot on net from the left circle. I nailed one of our defencemen in the arm (we're pretty lax for wearing equipment to practice.) He flipped out and had it not been for the goalie stepping in to break it up, we would have gone at it. I had the gloves dropped and everything.

5 minutes later, we were back to joking with each other and having a good time. The point of this rant is, boys will be boys. I'm not saying there isn't groups of friends on this team, or even "cliques". I just don't think this fight was related, and I don't think that the groups are affecting the team.

Let's just enjoy the ride this year.

:ghg:

Originally posted by Habs77
Originally posted by V

First you'll have to learn how to read, cuz you didn't get a thing I said.

Second, fix you avatar.

Yes I did. Otherwise I wouldn't respond. DUH. Re-read your arguments. You will see that you base your entire claim on anglo vs franco... to me, that is just pathetic. A very poor argument IMHO.

Originally posted by V

You will see that you base your entire claim on anglo vs franco... to me, that is just pathetic. A very poor argument IMHO.

Pathetic is not understanding a word I said after re-reading it... what can I say, I'll try to write shorter sentences in the future.. maybe that'll help you out.

Allright boys and girls, c'mon. We're all habs fans here. Isn't there a Boston Bruin fan, or a whole Leafs team we can make fun of?

:ghg:

• 2 weeks later...