Playoff chances looking great

Quebecois

The Sabres are currently in 9th place with 52 points in 55 games. The Habs have 64 points in 56 games. For the Sabres to reach 92 points, they would have to win 20 of their final 27 games. For the Habs to achieve 92 points, we would have to win just 14 of our final 26 games. This of course excludes ties and OTLs.

Right now it should not be a matter of just making our run to the playoffs, but getting the best seed we can. It will be tough to get any higher, but it certainly isnt out of reach.

Originally posted by Quebecois

Right now it should not be a matter of just making our run to the playoffs, but getting the best seed we can. It will be tough to get any higher, but it certainly isnt out of reach.

Yes it will be tough to get a higher seed , especially since the teams right ahead of us (by only 3 points) and powerhouses like NJ and Ottawa. Both teams are nursing injuries and not playing their best hockey of late (Especially Ottawa) , but you cant expect their struggles to continue longterm...

I was hoping that the Bruins would slip up and fall back because we'd have the best chance of passing them , but they've been on fire of late.

If we dont make the playoffs , wow... I cant even think about that. lol ... We'd have to play really really badly , and the teams behind us would have to have 74% winning percentage. Not likely.

Playoffs ... Sweet! Going to be fun! :) ... *knock on wood*

The Playoffs should be a given right now.

If the habs come out flat and miss the playoffs to a team like the Sabres or the Rangers, everyone should be ashamed.

Possible fisrt round opponents.

Philly

Leafs

Sens

Lightning

For some reason, i'd rather face the Flyers in the first round. With the way the habs have played against them in the last two meetings, I think they can be beaten.

A habs VS Leafs matchup would be an all out War, but would be too nerve wrecking for me right away, i'd rather face em in the second or third round if the habs were lucky enough to get that far!

:ghg:

philadelphia would be dangerous but they may not be as healthy as the other teams. what is esches injury? the leg? even when he comes back he may not be 100%. turco last year came back but wasnt the same right after the injury. Toronto in the first round, i dont want to see. they would be hardest to beat then. ottawa have bad goaltending but still are the scariest to me and TB would be similar to carolina in 2002.

Originally posted by Westcoasthabsfan

I would love a Toronto Montreal first round series... that would be great... but lets just get into the playoffs first and see what happens

:ghg:

If we play Toronto then I hope Gainey improves our team before then (even if we dont end up facing toronto) , we need more physical forwards!! , and I'm not completely comfortable with 2/6 of our top-6 forwards (Bulis / Dagenais) ...

Originally posted by Westcoasthabsfan

Who would u suggest Puck?

any ideas?

I still say Jeff O'Neill would be a great addition for this club...

Like Raider said , Ryan Smyth. I'd love to get him , he is a warrior.

But Kevin Lowe is "reported" to love Komisarek , and likely would ask for him in any Smyth trade. So no thanks from the Habs POV.

Jeff O'Neil is another option , I'm not his biggest fan , but he'd no doubt help the habs. But you have to think that ALOT of other teams out there would also want his services (Along with Smyth) ...

Not to many available power-forwards out there ...

Originally posted by Raider917

philadelphia would be dangerous but they may not be as healthy as the other teams. what is esches injury? the leg? even when he comes back he may not be 100%. turco last year came back but wasnt the same right after the injury. Toronto in the first round, i dont want to see. they would be hardest to beat then. ottawa have bad goaltending but still are the scariest to me and TB would be similar to carolina in 2002.

My thoughts exactly!.

The goalie situation in Philly could be the difference in a first round match up with those guys. If both our scoring lines could get going i think a first round upset over the Flyers is a big possibilty.

If Gainey could somehow Pick up a good left winger for the top line and a good right winger for the second line, the chances of a deep playoff run would be much better.

Modin from Tampa was a rumour i heard a couple weeks ago, he'd be a good fit on the top line. Not a whole lot better then Bulis but im sure with his shot and size he'd produce a lot more, especially on a line with Koivu.

Jeff O'neill would be the perfect linemate for Ribs. A line consisting of Zednik-Ribeiro-O'neill, would be a scoring threat every time they're on the ice.

Modin-Koivu-Ryder

Zednik-Ribeiro-O'neill

Bulis-Juneau-Ward

Langdon-Begin-Dackell

The team would have two good scoring line, Juneau's Checking line and Begin's energy line. I think this team could create some big upsets in the Playoffs.

Trade Bait: Hossa, Perreault, Kilger, Sundstrom, some of the other prospects, and draft picks.

Let's not be counting our chickens before they hatch here. While I'll admit it's looking better than I'd have ever thought at this time of year, we are by no means guaranteed a playoff berth.

Consider:

3 games against Ottawa

3 games against New Jersey

2 games against Toronto

2 games against Boston

4 game Western road swing

2 game Florida trip - where for some reason we suck

We've got an extremely tough finish to the schedule, and it's my opinion that our standing right now is slightly inflated over where we should be as we've played a significant number of games against sub-par teams. While I think we have put ourselves in good position, you have to remember that any team from about 6-12 can go on long streaks either winning or losing. If we drop four in a row and Buffalo goes on a four-game winning spree, all of a sudden they're breathing down our necks.

It'll be critical for Julien to get everyone back to playing strong, intense, systematic hockey with emphasis on the special teams or we could be that cheap tent folding in the breeze.

ACF