Goaltending Situation

zumpano21

After tonight's game, Carbo was quoted as saying that they are very close to choosing the #1 goalie. I have to disagree with that strategy personally.

I think the Habs are a solid team that can make the playoffs without resorting to a 1 goalie system. And I offer it would be more beneficial in the long run having two good goalies battle it out for #1 because:

1 - we get to see who's better over the long run

2 - it raises both of the goalies values on the UFA market

3 - the goalies will continually elevate their play to become the #1

4 - it will be harder to offload a "backup" goalie come free agent time

Just my two cents.

Aebischer has been very good/excellent in every single game so far this year... I'm assuming that Huet will get the next game or two, and if he doesn't paly as he did against Boston (or at least Boston), the Aebischer will get an extended run.

That being said... I'm not worrying about any goalie intrigues. I honestly believe we have two of the top 20 guys in the league, I'm 100% comfortable with either one. However it plays out is OK witn me.

That surprises me that Carbo would say that he was going to pick the #1 goalie? What does he get a badge saying "#1 Goalie" or something? They are both signed on for the season so just have them each play and when one is hot keep him in, play the guy who does better against a particular team or at home or whatever.

I was under the impression the Habs' plan was to platoon the guys basically

I like the way they've been playing both tenders equally, two starts at a time. It ensures that whoever emerges as a number one for the stretch drive and playoffs won't be burnt out.

And by meaning #1, he must mean Cristowall and Abby right? I am satisfied with the way both goalies are playing. When we have back to back nights, Huet one, Abby the other...or vice versa! They are both meant to be starting goaltenders. Split Duty through all 82 games of the season will decrease the chances of injury to one. I say let it ride right into the playoffs, because right now...Were looking good!!! Abby is playing amazing between the pipes...but Huet needs to stay fresh as well! So in conclusion, why choose a #1, when you have two #1's right in front of your eyes.

GO :hlogo: GO

I like the idea of two # 1 goalies but then again, I'm not the coach and I don't fully understand the dynamics or the 'psychology' of goaltending situations.

Gonna trust the coach on that one.

Go :hlogo: Go!

I just hope he does what he says and sticks with the goalie with the hot hand. That's what Gerard Gallant said all last season with Denis and LeClaire. However, he was a total liar. Most of the time, if one goalie would have a great game, the other guy would then get the start next game. I lost what little respect I had for him as a coach for stuff like that. He changes lines 5 minutes into games and doesn't let his team build chemistry at all. He needs to go.

I like the platoon situation - not so convinced by the theory that the defense needs to get used to playing in front of a specific guy.

Plus, keep both guys going (valuable) and trade one for a defenceman in March. I think Aebischer's a better bet to hang on to, but it would be good to sign him beyond this year before trading Huet.

Anyone have thoughts on whether Danis is ready to take over the backup spot?