The '06 Election Thread

Pierre the Great

So who and what did you vote for.

You've got the dueling smoking bans in Ohio on the ballot I know about. One sponsored by the tabacco companies and the other by the cancer society. Which one did you pick?

I voted against both of the issues, actually. The total ban sponsored by the cancer society is ridiculous. I hate being around smokers as much as anyone, but banning smoking from ALL enclosed public areas? That's a bit extreme. I liked the idea behind the other issue better, but I think it is stupid to have a constitutional ammendment about something like where people can smoke. Most cities and towns in Ohio already have smoking ordinances, so I think things are fine on the public smoking front.

I wasn't thrilled about either of the people running for governor, but ended up going with Blackwell, since he had more of the same ideas on issues as me. Neither guy seemed like a good choice, though. Blackwell had the whole election "disenfranchisement" lawsuits after 2004. Then there was Strickland, who had an employee who was the target of a drug bust. An undercover officer went into his office and purchased drugs from one of his employees. The person not only kept their job, but they got a promotion and raise. Brilliant.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do a lot of people smoke in Ohio? Because everyone my age here does and its disgusting. Why are they doing that to themselves? Its a Midwest thing I think. I've been everywhere around here and all the young people my age are lighting it up but when I went to Seattle for a week nobody was smoking and nobody did except for one girl all by herself with no one around her.

So coming from someone who's allergic to smoking (hurts my lungs gives me headaches, I start breathing shorter and I don't have asthma). Smoking bans are a godsend.

Do a lot of people smoke in Ohio? Because everyone my age here does and its disgusting. Why are they doing that to themselves? Its a Midwest thing I think. I've been everywhere around here and all the young people my age are lighting it up but when I went to Seattle for a week nobody was smoking and nobody did except for one girl all by herself with no one around her.

So coming from someone who's allergic to smoking (hurts my lungs gives me headaches, I start breathing shorter and I don't have asthma). Smoking bans are a godsend.

I know a couple people who smoke, but not very many. Out of the 40ish people on my floor my first year at college, only one was a big smoker. A few others smoked the occassional cigar when drunk, but not otherwise.

I agree, I love smoking bans, but I think it is silly to make them ammendments or state law.

I dunno. I don't like Florida but man its great when I take the family down there and don't have to ask for a non smoking place. Plus now that my cousins are having kids and when I go out with them I don't want to see the little ones having to grow up with smoking in restuarants.

I view it as smoking in grocery stores. I want it to become a thing of the past.

hey we agree on something.

or minimum wage increase

How big of an increase?

I dunno. I don't like Florida but man its great when I take the family down there and don't have to ask for a non smoking place. Plus now that my cousins are having kids and when I go out with them I don't want to see the little ones having to grow up with smoking in restuarants.

I view it as smoking in grocery stores. I want it to become a thing of the past.

hey we agree on something.

I haven't been anywhere in Ohio in recent years that doesn't already have a local smoking ban. Personally, I was fine with having smoking sections at resturaunts, it seemed to work fine to me, but so many people complain that it didn't help anything. I just think there are some places where smoking is natural, like bars.

Funny story, there was this donut shop we loved back in college. Was open 24/7 and just reeked of smoke, but the donuts were amazing. After the town passed a smoking ban, the place smelled better, but honest to God, the donuts weren't as good, lol. Maybe the smoke was transmitting nicotine into them, making us want them more. :P

Don't think Dewine has a chance. He's a republican in Ohio where the party is pretty much corrupt. I know he's not corrupt but he's taking the fall for that congressman and Taft.

What sucks is that one of the reasons I voted for him (his willingness to listen to the other side) is one reason I think he'll lose. One of his ads portrayed him as as independent republican, and sadly, I think that turned off a lot of party-line voters. Another case of how damned divided this country is.

What sucks is that one of the reasons I voted for him (his willingness to listen to the other side) is one reason I think he'll lose. One of his ads portrayed him as as independent republican, and sadly, I think that turned off a lot of party-line voters. Another case of how damned divided this country is.

Yeah its embarrassing. I hate people who vote on wedge issues for example. Thats a cheap form of democracy. They're saying I don't care if the country goes into the ground I still want this this and this.

You vote for whom you think will run the country the best not on is he or she against this and that.

If the wedge issue voters put wedge issues ahead of the good of the country then they should start there own federal party and leave the democrats and republicans alone.

Yeah its embarrassing. I hate people who vote on wedge issues for example. Thats a cheap form of democracy. They're saying I don't care if the country goes into the ground I still want this this and this.

You vote for whom you think will run the country the best not on is he or she against this and that.

If the wedge issue voters put wedge issues ahead of the good of the country then they should start there own federal party and leave the democrats and republicans alone.

Unfortunately there have been few if any recent elections that haven't been driven by 'wedge' issue voting!

We can thank the emergence of lobby groups and minority issue campaigns for this situation, as well as the media who have taken an extraordinary effort in promoting just this aspect of society. Sad to say, but it is no longer about credibility or leadership, instead it is just about the squeaky wheel that cries loudest for the grease..... :( :puke:

There is one wedge issue which does heavily influence my vote, and that is partial birth abortion. Yes, I'd like all abortion to go away, but I don't see it happening, so I don't let abortion in general sway me too much on a candidate. Partial birth abortion is murder. If allowed to exit head first, the baby can survive on its own. Because of that, they pull the baby out feet first, except for the head, then suck out the brains. I could never vote for anyone who supports such a thing, like Sherrod Brown.

Unfortunately there have been few if any recent elections that haven't been driven by 'wedge' issue voting!

We can thank the emergence of lobby groups and minority issue campaigns for this situation, as well as the media who have taken an extraordinary effort in promoting just this aspect of society. Sad to say, but it is no longer about credibility or leadership, instead it is just about the squeaky wheel that cries loudest for the grease..... :( :puke:

I would vote for a ban on political ads during elections! They are horrible and play a huge role in dividing voters. Plus, most of them are just plain crooked, if not completely dishonest.

There is one wedge issue which does heavily influence my vote, and that is partial birth abortion. Yes, I'd like all abortion to go away, but I don't see it happening, so I don't let abortion in general sway me too much on a candidate. Partial birth abortion is murder. If allowed to exit head first, the baby can survive on its own. Because of that, they pull the baby out feet first, except for the head, then suck out the brains. I could never vote for anyone who supports such a thing, like Sherrod Brown.

I would vote for a ban on political ads during elections! They are horrible and play a huge role in dividing voters. Plus, most of them are just plain crooked, if not completely dishonest.

My opinion on the subject goes further, but I'm not here to argue it - however that is certainly a sad reflection on society today. One can only begin to wonder what's next?

Edited by beliveau1

the neo conservatives are done now, America wants to be centrists always have been. They are moderate socially and moderate economically. Granted they're always be extremes of the two (west coast, and bible belt) but really this election was about neo conservatism and bush.

The country is better for it. Now the funny thing is you've got Neo-cons still in North America but in Canada. Oh funny things switch about. One country goes one way and the other goes down the road the other one just travelled.

VA will go to Webb probably by dinner time eastern time or maybe tomorrow the remaining votes left to be counted are from Fairfax Virginia a democratic stronghold and if the vote tally is anything above 10,000 Allen probably won't ask for a recount because in a recount you only really gain 700 votes or so and 700 won't make up for 10,000.

So with Mr. Crew Cut taking over Montana

and

Webb taking Virginia

The dems are back and have reclaimed the Midwest.

Republicans now are in shambles.

The old centrist democratic party moderate socially moderate economically is back in the midwest and republicans are in trouble for independents are tired of the religious jargon and playing only to the rich.

VA will go to Webb probably by dinner time eastern time or maybe tomorrow the remaining votes left to be counted are from Fairfax Virginia a democratic stronghold and if the vote tally is anything above 10,000 Allen probably won't ask for a recount because in a recount you only really gain 700 votes or so and 700 won't make up for 10,000.

So with Mr. Crew Cut taking over Montana

and

Webb taking Virginia

The dems are back and have reclaimed the Midwest.

Republicans now are in shambles.

The old centrist democratic party moderate socially moderate economically is back in the midwest and republicans are in trouble for independents are tired of the religious jargon and playing only to the rich.

He's holding 6911 lead according to CNN

Funny thing too, all of the "religious jargon and playing only to the rich" is what analysts figure kept the core Republic voters at home.

Irony

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN