Ryan Smyth rumour

sakiqc

I heard that rumour from RDS (Jacques Demers) and it was also on the Ottawa citizen if i'm right, but there is a rumour about Ryan Smyth being involved in trade talks with Montreal.

IMO, it's more "journalists thinking" about what would likely look as a possible trade. Probably there was no talks yet.

With Edmonton probably not doing the playoffs and Smyth at 3.5M$ and possibly no hockey next season, it is a more than likely move for the Oilers. And what they would want is good prospects.. and as I know, the Habs have the best prospects depth in the league.

I'm not the one who'd vote to trade all our prospects, but is there a better player than Ryan Smyth that we can trade a good or 2 prospects for? At 27 he has the perfect profile for be one of this team leader for years to come. A player with heart, intensity, TALENT, size. And when Perezhogin, Kasts and co comes up, they will have real players to look at and inspire. On the same way, that will boost Zednik. Imagine if Smyth brings some energy to Zednik!!! We would have 2 Smyth!

The problem I have with trading youth to get Smyth would be that he takes shifts and sometimes games off. He's lazy from time to time. He's also injury prone.

I just don't want to trade two good prospects for a guy who's sleeping in between injuries.

Mmmm...

Ryan Smyth... That would be tasty. But I am affraid that it's just speculation.

Smyth will play for Edmonton his whole life. And if he doesn't he will end up in Calgary. That's destiny. Just take a look at his name and the place he was born.

I've seen/read this rumour from 3 places now , the Bruce G Ottawa Sun story , and from RDS and Sportsnet on tv...

I'm not sure if RDS/Sportsnet are re-reporting the Bruce rumour though...

Might be something to it... I hope so.

We need a guy like Ryan Smyth, I just don't want to pay too much for him. The last thing we need is to get the injury bug back in Montreal.

Edmonton always seems to give up more then what they get in return.

So why wouldn't they be satisfied with a couple prospects?

i think they'd take, Hossa, maybe Beauchemin and a draft pick.

Habs have a lot of players in Hamilton that they could use to get Smyth.

:ghg:

Montreal is trading from a position of strength. The Oilers are trading from a position of weakness.

When is the last really good trade you've seen the Oilers make? Lowe is very overrated.

Dvorak for Carter? Bad trade

Niinamaa for Isbister? Bad trade

Comrie for Woywitka? They desperatly needed his offense

The Oates signing has been TERRIBLE

Lowe doesn't seem to be the sharpest pencil in the box. I think we could pick his pocket with this one.

[Edited on 2004/2/11 by Leafs Suck]

You have to remember that factors like money play into all of Edmonton (and other small market teams) deals. Lowe had no choice but to trade Janne , and Carter , the team just could not afford them , or could not afford to re-sign them... Same case for Smyth now , he'll make near $4 million next year.

BTW : The Carter for Dvorak trade also included Pisa (to nyr) and Cross (to edm) , Edmonton did pretty well in that deal. Dvorak has been solid for the Oilers , and Cross has been one of their top d-men (though the Oilers D aint great to begin with) ... Carter is one of the most over-rated players in the NHL imo , way too inconsitant.

Ohhh yeah... Poti and Rem Murray for Mike York (and 4th rounder) was a pretty good deal by Lowe.

York was a good trade, but thats only one trade.

Dvorak and Isbister, who were their two keys to those trades, are busts.

I am sure, very sure, that Lowe could have gotten alot more for Niinamaa and Carter than those two and Cory Cross (who will not be confused with Bobby Orr anytime soon).

[Edited on 2004/2/12 by Leafs Suck]

This isnt about Smyth... but did anyone else read the Habs/Caps rumour on hfboards today?

Goes something like... On a radio station in Washington , it was rumoured that a deal between caps/montreal was in works... Brendan Witt , for Ron Hainsey and a pick.

What do you think?

Me? ... I like Witt , he's one tough d-man. Solid as a rock defensively , little to no offensive ability , but a hard hitter , and a veteren (especially on the caps young D) ... But , he is very injury prone.

As for the deal... I think its too much to give up for Witt , Hainsey is a top notch prospect , and ontop of that we'd have to add a draft pick? All this for a defensive d-man? Who is prone to injuries?

No thanks.

i've seen witt play, and there is a reason that he's called "tWitt" by his team mates.

He takes stupid penalties, and a hell of a thorn in the ass if he's not your leader.

no thanks at all.

also, caps need veteran Dmen, not AHL rookies. and with hainsey's potential, it would be more like hainsey for witt and a pick.

but yeah, screw it, i'd rather go with the youth movement that we are heading towards, and keep our troubled youths for better deals

Originally posted by TheAussiePosse

also, caps need veteran Dmen, not AHL rookies.  and with hainsey's potential, it would be more like hainsey for witt and a pick.

What the Caps need and what they do are two completely different things. I don't want Witt, but as far as the Caps go, they are in salaray purge mode. Why do you think they traded Jagr, and are looking to move Gonchar, Lang, Bondra, etc? It isn't because they don't need those players, it's because they need to dump salaray. I mean c'mon, the Caps let Ken Klee get away for nothing last year because they thought he would be too expensive for them.

Unload youth for Smyth?? that's crazy. Okay, smyth is a great player and is good at playmaking as well as scoring, but come on, I do not think this is the Habs guy they want, especially trading away our youth for him!

If we have any hopes for the canadiens to be more developed, trading away our youth is bazarre. also, although smyth is a good player, he's just adding to the small size of the club. a player of O'neill/comrie calibur would be good.

Originally posted by habsfan88

Unload youth for Smyth?? that's crazy.  Okay, smyth is a great player and is good at playmaking as well as scoring, but come on, I do not think this is the Habs guy they want, especially trading away our youth for him!

If we have any hopes for the canadiens to be more developed, trading away our youth is bazarre.  also, although smyth is a good player, he's just adding to the small size of the club.  a player of O'neill/comrie calibur would be good.

I dunno. Smyth is only 28 , some of our "youth" , Hainsey and Hossa for instance , is 21 .... Thats only a 7 year difference , Smyth is just entering his prime and has alot of good years ahead of him.

Sometimes when have to sacrifice youth to make important trades , especially when that trade involves a type of player which your team has been lacking for years and desparately needs.

I hope something soon happens.

The team is looking disgraceful again, i cant imagine wathicng these guys in a playoff series, nervously wondering before each period which team is gonna come out of the dressing room. (The team that dominates almost all of the play, the team that gives half of an effort, or the team that simply just doesn;t show up at all)

Something has to be done.

Does anyone know if Lecavalier would be available, Due to the controversy with the coach??? I doubt it, but this would be a guy i'd love to see in a habs uniform!

:ghg: