Roy not a fan of Latendresse

chief_balthor

Some say that he was giving the team an ultimatum to trade him or fire Mario Tremblay and we all know how that ended...

yeah, well IMO they ended up trading him, trading a whole bunch of other good players who Tremblay was bullying and gutting the team out, THEN firing Tremblay when it was too late. I know that in theory, the player should suck it up and blah blah blah, but really, I think they should have fired Tremblay right away. But let's not forget it was the Genius Houle who was running the front office then. The other GMs must have LOVED him with all his freebie trades / gifts of good Habs players.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, well IMO they ended up trading him, trading a whole bunch of other good players who Tremblay was bullying and gutting the team out, THEN firing Tremblay when it was too late. I know that in theory, the player should suck it up and blah blah blah, but really, I think they should have fired Tremblay right away. But let's not forget it was the Genius Houle who was running the front office then. The other GMs must have LOVED him with all his freebie trades / gifts of good Habs players.

i still wonder....have it been different if we could of won more cups....ahhhh sad days indeed....

Why is everyone saying Lats isn't NHL ready? He's 19, playing on numerous lines to find out where he can play. He is a big physical player which the Habs need. The first 4 or 5 games he looked lost but has been playing very well since. He has more goals then Begin, Murray and Downey combined with an equal plus minus. Just let the kid play hockey, he'l be fine.

Personally, I think Carbo is in a bad situation. I think he took a chance on Lats, and it is not working out very well. Since people are pointing at the French issue, he is really trying hard to get Lats going.

Sometimes people don't like to admit they made a mistake. I think Carbo made a mistake in his original decision on Lats (with Gainey) and is not ready to admit it. I see no other reason for all the first line, PP, and shootout chances he has been given. If he left him on the 4th line to continue to work and develop, it would make more sense to cling to the "no point sending him to jrs. arugument"

Frankly, I believe Carbo and Gainey made two mistakes in player evaluations this year. Lats and Pleks. I think they overrated both of them, leading them to trade Ribs for a struggling defenseman (instead of a deal to get a different center) and promoting lats up the chain too early.

Of course, they are only human, and if it had worked out differently, we would be calling them geniuses. :)

It took a while for them to reverse the Pleks promote (although we are still short a center). I wonder how long before Lats is back on the 4th line. I don't think that goal is going to do it. If he wants to stay up, he needs to generate some offense on the first line. The next few games will be very big games for Lats.

As for Roy, he was not bashing Lats, just stating the obvious, in a joking way. I bet you anything he would buy Lats a beer given the chance. As for Lat's response.. not bad, but I prefer he replies on the ice. Maybe Roy was lighting a fire under him. ;)

The Niiminaa trade was juged necessary under the injury situation to Bouillon and Cote......and acquiring Traverse displayed how desperate they where about getting something done........until Dallas was willing

to let go of Niiminaa......which of course was an improvement over Traverse for fixing what needed be fixed.

Fixing the D for the start of the season was juged as an URGENCY.........hadn't a trade materialised pronto

Traverse would be on the ice as we speak.......something you failed (again) to include in your analyse.

Materialising a trade as had positive effects on our vulnerable D situation (specially w Dandenault out) and this Carbo can take it to the bank.........on the other hand, loosing a forward from our expected starting roster came with a price tag that brought it's own set of difficultys to Carbo.........had Ribeiro not been part of the needed trade Plekanec would probably had started the season on the third line with Johnson and Zhogin (very descent third line no doubts) and Bonk would have center the 4th with Begin and Lats......prettty much an ideal situation in all respects. The post trade scenario has left us more vulnerable up front and yes it has destabilised how our forwards where be planned to be used effectivelly in this early season.........but let's not forget that some gains where made in return of those pains.........Traverse is NOT on the ice.......and some would also add that some additional but more elusive gains where also made with the substraction of Ribs in itself.

Good thoughts PB, i will make 1 point on that. Losing Higgins isn't as much of a factor as years past becuse the Habs can now call up a few players and not have to hide them on the ice like they had to in years prior. Lapiere, Kosty and possibly even Chichura can be called up without hurting the lineup. Forward depth is not a huge issue anymore. When healthy there is some depth on the D side as well.

Playing on a line with Begin and Murray/Downey you cant expect alot of offensive chances for Lats and then he is promoted to play with Koivu and Ryder and scores in his first game. Really sounds like he sucked it up. He has at least a couple of more games to prove he belongs on that line and I think he will do that.

I watched the last 3 games with my best friend, my brother and his friend. We are all habs fans and long (age) in the tooth.

I guess the 4 of us are wrong, the supporters in this forum are wrong and Latendresse is a no good after all (sarcasm). What were we thinking? :wacko:

Latendresse RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and Roy is a wife beater. :blink::lol:

Was this a tv interview or print? Because if it was TV I'd love to see Roy's face when talking because I think he was being sarcastic.

I hard both quotes on the radio. You hear Roy coming in a room full of journalists. He apologizes for coming in late, he jokes that he was waiting to see if they'd award the goal to Latendresse. All the journalists in the room crack up and start laughing, and Roy joins in. Then you get a sense that he was trying to keep them laughing so he jests and says "it means he finally touched the puck" and all the journalist cracks up again even louder.

Then I heard the Lats quotes. A journalist (Rejean Tremblay) gets all serious and lays down the question about the Roy comments, Lats just brushes it off, says "next question"... then another journalist says "some people say Roy is mad at you because he wanted to acquire you last year and bla bla bla" so Lats jokes that if he'd had to get traded he'd go anywhere but to Quebec, then he gets serious and tries to brush the question off again.

This, my friends, is a exemplary texbook "made up story" by the journalists. Journalists take a little spark (Roy's jokes), throw as much fuel on it as possible (throwing it in Latendresse's face), in hope that it sets the fans (you) on fire and gets you to argue about it and buy the newspaper, listen to the radio and watch their TV shows.

Who were there laughing at Roy's jokes? Journalists. Who set a trap for Latendresse? Journalists. Who then declared it a big feud? Journalists. Who's playing right into the journalists hands? You and I by taking sides...

:puke: :puke: :puke:

He has more goals then Begin, Murray and Downey combined with an equal plus minus. Just let the kid play hockey, he'l be fine.

As much as they've combined (Bégin also has a goal). :P^_^

Anyways, Bégin already said that he wasn't that comfortable with playing centre on this line anyways - it's now much better with Pleky as centre there, as Bégin can concentrate on his game again. And Latendresse also seems better with playing on a more offencive line, though we'll have to wait a few more games before we should judge on him.

Some say that he was giving the team an ultimatum to trade him or fire Mario Tremblay and we all know how that ended...

Larry Robinson was on OTR last night.. when asked whether you trade Roy or fire Tremblay, he didn't even hesitate. "Fire Tremblay".