The Politics Thread

Pierre the Great

I'll be surprised if Bronconnier loses actually, looks like a one horse race to me.

We have a 19 year old kid running, Jeremy Zhao. You should check out his site, www.jeremyzhao.com. I have a few friends who are going to vote for him. He's actually a serious canidate for the job too, atleast amongst young people.

(img)images.theglobeandmail.com/Dion_McGuinty(img)

:lol:

That's classic.

And, to Mr Harper and the Conservatives. What did I say? You can buy them with the budget but they are very unpredictable voters. on the other side of the equation the Liberal's need a savior.

Who's it going to be?

The NDP could make a splash but I doubt that the ROC is going to propel them out of almost illegitimacy. In the long run it helps the NDP if they can get entrenched in PQ, but that can take a generation to do.

The federation is strong but it has the flu right now. That's my analogy.

What a drag.

That's classic.

And, to Mr Harper and the Conservatives. What did I say? You can buy them with the budget but they are very unpredictable voters. on the other side of the equation the Liberal's need a savior.

Who's it going to be?

The NDP could make a splash but I doubt that the ROC is going to propel them out of almost illegitimacy. In the long run it helps the NDP if they can get entrenched in PQ, but that can take a generation to do.

The federation is strong but it has the flu right now. That's my analogy.

What a drag.

1. You can buy them with a budget and then tick off the folks back here in the engine. (BC, AB, Sask)

2. left wing BQ voters are going NDP. All Layton has to do is to find more big names. Hard task but Layton's a popular figure in Quebec.

3. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm they're praying for a guy with the initials J and T. That's my guess.

1. You can buy them with a budget and then tick off the folks back here in the engine. (BC, AB, Sask)

2. left wing BQ voters are going NDP. All Layton has to do is to find more big names. Hard task but Layton's a popular figure in Quebec.

3. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm they're praying for a guy with the initials J and T. That's my guess.

If the BQ is ever broken, I would be so happy, but really really happy, if the left wing BQ voters would go Greens, and if all the principal members of the BQ would join the Greens.

If the BQ is ever broken, I would be so happy, but really really happy, if the left wing BQ voters would go Greens, and if all the principal members of the BQ would join the Greens.

Greens aren't left wing though, only Green Party that isn't left wing in the world is in Canada.

As shown in the bye election they'll go NDP/NPD.

Greens aren't left wing though, only Green Party that isn't left wing in the world is in Canada.

As shown in the bye election they'll go NDP/NPD.

Time for the Greens to focus a little bit on others aspects of the politic. It would be funny to see the Québec vote for the Greens, would be a kind of big **** you to PC and Liberals. I don't have yet a real opinion on the NPD programm, i should read it first.

Greens do focus on other issues. They're left socially, (except the leader) centre ish economically.

oh... never heard Greens talk about other issues than environment.

Just went and voted and I was just wondering what everyone else thinks of the Mixed Member Proportional. I'm kind of on the fence about it.

Do you want change?

Are you tired of the same old crap?

The MMP causes actual change a better democracy. Why do you think the Tories and the Liberals are "neutral" because if it passes, they'd lose power and influence.

MMP is better for Canada and Ontario. The will of the Canadian public is better represented.

Do you want change?

Are you tired of the same old crap?

The MMP causes actual change a better democracy. Why do you think the Tories and the Liberals are "neutral" because if it passes, they'd lose power and influence.

MMP is better for Canada and Ontario. The will of the Canadian public is better represented.

Thats what I keep reading and obviosuly I like that. Gives the smaller parties a better representation and voting will mean more. But I've read this allows other politicians to chose the "At-Large" riding leaders. So we have government officials selecting other government officials isn't this just asking for problems. Thats why I am on the fence. I did vote in favour of it but I was debating it.

we have government officials picking who is in the cabinet? Nobody can't vote directly for the leader of a party unless he or she is in their riding. I don't see the big difference in that.

No from what I've heard if a certain party gets 10% of votes and only gets 7% of seats it is given one of the "at-large" ridings. Now the actual person who gets that obviously didn't win their own riding and is now given a seat. What if that person really shouldn't have gotten a riding for a good reason. Now they get a free one because their party got more votes in a different riding.

Sorry to jump off topic but this is one of the biggest stories I've come across in a while.

Tony Benn, is back, at 82.

He's running for Parliament in the UK if the Labour Party picks him as a candidate (which they will, its tony freaking benn!)

greatest news ever

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/labour/stor...2183660,00.html

hmm 10? usually its like 3 or 5 as the magic number or 1% in Europe. (varies by country)

that dont matter- the tories will win the election anyway, labour have pissed of too many soldiers and pensioners for them to get in again. plus the fact that the tories will scrap the id card scheme that labour are trying to push through. :clap:

that dont matter- the tories will win the election anyway, labour have pissed of too many soldiers and pensioners for them to get in again. plus the fact that the tories will scrap the id card scheme that labour are trying to push through. :clap:

Tories won't win, sorry there bud. Even if Labour is completely lost (which is it is, New Labour is a joke), Brown is seen as a strong figure.

Harper not liked in the West

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/071004/...est_poll_harper

The insurrection is on. lol As I predicted once Harper goes, the Conservative Party will go with it.

1. 'Harper not liked in the West' is not a good summary of the article. He's not viewed as a westerner; guess what - neither is Stephane Dion.

2. Insurrection? Are you serious? Have you stopped following Canadian politics now that you're here? Harper is daring the other parties to defeat him because they're in such disarray.

3. "As I predicted once Harper goes, the Conservative Party will go with it." Why? Because he was elected due to the power of his personality? :lol: